Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Derrek's Micro Thread

Hey Coach P!

You might recall me from Marathon Nation...now I'm on EN preparing for my first full IM.   I had some question on the OS plan...

I did my bike test on Monday using heart rate monitor (because I didn't have a speed/cadence sensor or power tap) with TrainerRoad .  Today I bought a speed/cadence senor, so do I redo my bike test in order to get my "virtual" FTP and train by power or just press on with workouts using heart rate and monitor my FTP? 

Second, on days with bike and run workouts, should I do these as "bricks" or one in the morning/one in the evening and does it matter which workout I do first?

And finally, I'm swimming during OS because I'm a slow swimmer (2:10+/100) and need to improve on technique.  I'm swimming with a great masters group on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 60 mins and most weeks a third day on my own.  Since I swim early morning, I'm planning to do my run/bike workouts late morning or early afternoon.  Do you see anything wrong with this schedule?

Thanks,

Derrek

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Derrek, hey man, great to have you here!!!! If you got HR and virtual power, then use the virtual power number and over time you will be able to correlate a heart rate with that intensity level (but use the power zones in the EN Calculator!). I suggest you do them as bricks now for simplicity's sake! But if weather, daylight, conditions conspire against you , you can do them separate it just takes a bit more! No problem with that swim schedule AS LONG AS your Monday and Friday are off so you can handle the extra training volume. I would really just do 2 sessions a week for now....it's okay to dial things back a bit in the winter, this gives us room (and a benefit) when we up things later in the year closer to your race!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P. Actually, my bike test was done using HR only (40 min test). I don't have the virtual power because I didn't have the speed/cadence sensor at the time of the test. Since I have the sensor now, should I re-take the test to get my virtual power?

Copy on the swim 2x/week.

Thanks
    Derrek
  • Options
    Derrek, I say yes to the retest...but do it either this Saturday (with a bit more time to replicate ride, after a friday off) or next Tuesday (replace workout with the test, after Monday off). Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P!

OS has gone very well...quick question on next week test. I'm going out of town (skiing) Wednesday afternoon - Sunday and won't have access to a bike trainer...maybe a treadmill. Should I do my bike test Wednesday morning? And just do a 5K test after I return/recover from skiing?

Also, I'm running Boston for the first time this year. After the Swim Camp, I'd like to maintain my bike fitness while training for Boston, what do you recommend as far as training plans. Currently, I'm not strong on the bike (FTP is 171). Let me know if this is a question for Rich...Back in Oct he scheduled the Run Focus (wks 3-6) and then the MP (wks 7-12) and I'm afraid I'll lose a lot of my bike fitness by the time I start training for IMMT.

Thanks,
    Derrek
  • Options
    @Derrek, I think that you should try and get both test done before you leave. That would mean Tuesday AM bike, Wednesday AM run, then you are free and clear. Given your run background, I think that you can handle that...if you want more time, maybe you bike test tonight (Monday) and run test on Wed AM. Definitely Bike before Run, ok?

I suggest you drop in the Balanced Marathon Plan after you are recovered and we can see what you think.

Bottom line you can recover now BUT we want to keep that long run rolling. Minimum of 90 minutes a week until you are back on a proper program!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach! I'll drop in the Balanced MP (Adv) next week, which should put me around week 13.

Also, I recall you doing a podcast or Coach's Chat session on pacing execution for Boston; can you point me to that link? Also, Also, are there any workouts specific to Boston preparation I should substitute in the Balance Plan to be ready for the down/up hills?

Thanks.
    Derrek
  • Options
    Yes, the podcast is in Resources > Wiki > Running....here's the full link to download it: https://www.box.com/s/6fi69eulsw7sizwwvj11

In terms of boston prep, I would put your mid-week tempo and long runs on rolling terrain. I am hesitant to have you do specific Boston work as it's usually the first sign of folks getting carried away. The rolling hills is good, as is making sure your cadence stays up on the downhills..it's too easy to just over-stride and really pound your legs!
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks Coach!
  • Options

Coach P,

Great meeting you at IMMT and Congrats on your AG award/KQ.  I guess I'm in the same boat as you with Kona 6 weeks outs, but I have the Chicago Marathon on 12 Oct.  Currently I'm following the Post IM plan and my recovery is going well.  Any advice on what I should do these next 6 weeks to be at my peak on race day?  I don't expect to PR this race but want to put out a good effort.  Do I  just jump in the Marathon Plan next week, gradually jump in, or ?

Thanks and good luck with your recovery and build up to Kona.

Derrek

• Options
    Derek, same and thanks. You looked so solid out there. The good news is you have done incredible work and your longest run. :) the key now is to recover and start working on some race specific tempo.

I say 1 more week easy; you can run easy for 5 miles a few times but not back-to-back. You can cycle as you need...next weekend you can run up to 12 miles, last 4 at race pace. The key is to make your fuel all runs like a rockstar. After that weekend you can hit the rest of the marathon plan but:

+ replace interval runs with tempo work at half marathon pace.
    + long runs capped at 15 miles but use race pace.

Keep me posted!
  • Options
    Sounds great, Coach P!

Thanks,
    Derrek
  • Options
    Coach P,

I have a goal to PR a half marathon at the end of OS. I have some work to due to get back to previous fitness levels. Is there a hack or anything different/extra I can do during OS? Due to recovery time after running NYC Marathon, my OS started December 1st and will end the week of my HM, which is 22 March.

Thanks,
    Derrek
  • Options
    Derrek, that's PERFECT. The OutSeason® is designed to get you ready for a Half Marathon and we recommend you pick a half marathon on the weekend of your final OS week so you can get it done right. Sounds like you are right on track. For more details, you can check out this page on how to modify your OS plan for a Half Marathon! http://j.mp/1sgUUB7
  • Options
    Coach P,

5K vDOT Help! . I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes. I completed my initial 5K and 8 week 5K VDOT on a 400 meter track. My Garmin recorded the first as 3.26 miles, 6:20 pace, 20:40 time, which is a 47 VDOT. The second test (today) Garmin recorded as 3.28 miles, 6:08 pace, 20:07 time = 49 VDOT. I've been training with a 47 vDOT but all of my interval/LR workouts have been consistently 20-30 seconds faster then TP, which tells me I should have been using a higher vDOT, maybe?

Should I have calculated my vDOT using a 6:20 (6:08) pace multiplied by 3.1 to get a 19:38 (19:00) time? Or should I just use the total time and ignore the average pace and mile splits?

Garmin files test 1: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/644694272
    Test 2: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/679050211

Thanks for any insight
  • Options
    Derrek, those are legit times and GREAT improvement. If you want to get a vdot for that precise distance you covered (recommended) I would use http://attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?eqdist=1500&vdot=31 as you can really tweak it. Then on the EN side I think you can just put in the vDOT to get the zones?

That would be the best...and again, congrats!
  • Options
    Sounds good. Thanks Coach P.
  • Options
    Hey Coach P

I posed this question in the training forum and was suggested to get your read. I know the prescribe durations for the long run in HIM and IM plans is your total run time. My confusion is the MS takes up the total duration so there's no time for a warm up. For example: 100 min; MS: 60' @ Z2/MP, 35' @ Z3/HMP, 5' final push at best possible effort. If I do a warm up, then my LR becomes 110' or should I warm up within the first 1-2 miles and ease into Z2 effort?
  • Options
    Derrek, for long runs I am more concerned about you managing the total distance of your run vs the time.

For example let's say last weeks 90' run had you do 10 miles. And this week you have a 100' run which will be like 11ish. But if you add a 15' warm up and a 5' cool down to the 100', now you are talking 13ish...and 10 to 13 is too big a leap.

As I write those long runs, I think of them as your full workout. If the first 15' of your 60' at Z2 is more Z1 than Z2, that's totally fine! What really matters is the push over the second half; good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying, Coach P. This helps managing my long runs because I used to training my mileage not time. I did jump from 13.3 miles to 16 miles in my last two long runs and this week is a HIM RR Run, which will be a 13 miler for me.
  • Options
    Coach P, Need help adjusting this week's schedule due to business travel to Minneapolis this Thursday through Sunday.  I'm in week 17 of HIM Intermediate plan.  The schedule calls for a Bike test (HR test) Wed, RR run Thursday, RR Swim Friday and the usual run/bike WKOs Sat and Sun.  Any suggestions for making this a good training week?

I can get my RR Run in before my flight so no problems there.  I hope to find a pool and time for Friday.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Derrek, somehow missed this...can I help you get back on track?
  • Options
    No Problem Coach P. Here's what I did/didn't do last week due to my travels:

Wednesday: instead of the bike test, I did Wk 16's workout on the trainer because I wasn't able to test outside
    Thursday: mostly completed the RR run (10.6 miles/1:17) no worries because my run fitness is solid
    Friday: easy 7 mile run
    Saturday: RR Swim and easy 5 mile run (no bike)
    Sunday: Easy 8 mile run (no bike)

This week my plan was to stick to the Wk 17 training schedule and not try to make up any bike rides. Thought / suggestions?

Thanks!

• Options
    DS - With your run fitness so solid right now I am not toooooo worried about the bike. High level of run fitness suggest solid fitness across the board -- a better bike = better execution. Instead of worrying about how to cram in more work given the stress of your schedule, I'd like to see you really put up (and plan) a great race rehearsal ride. How did that go for you?
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P. The RR ride and run went well. I did 59 miles at high Z2-low Z3 and with the run, the hardest part was slowing down to run at Z2 +15" the first 3 miles.
  • Options
    Derrek, you are a machine. You make "becoming a triathlete" look stupid easy!!!! image
  • Options
    Coach,

First, congratulation on your IMTX performance and Kona slot! Great stuff and very inspirational.

I completed IM 70.3 Chattanooga this past weekend and did very well. Had a 37 min PR with a 5:06 finishing time. Now my legs/hamstrings are paying the price...they're still sore. Anyway, the IM training schedule (for IMLP) has a Big Tri Day this weekend. Since I just did a 70.3, do I/should I still do the Big Day workouts? If not, are their alternative workouts I can do? Thanks,

Derrek
  • Options
    Derrek - Epic!! No need to do the big day; we want solid recovery first...I'd be cautious with the running for another week, but the bike and swim you can get back on as you are ready. Again, congrats!
  • Options
    Coach P

I was feeling great by Friday and decided to do the Big Day but didn't push too hard on the run...ended up running the last 30' at Z2+20". Then enjoyed a nice rest day Sunday and swim on Monday.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Good...that recovery is key. You are on a great build right now, and might need more rest that you _want_ to admit. As long as your ego is checked at the door we should be good!!!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P, I wanted to get your thoughts on test week. JOS ends next week with FTP testing but my Season Roadmap has me jumping into Week 12 of the HIM adv plan next week, which also is a test week. So my dilemma as I transition to HIM training and outside riding is should I test on the trainer with my road bike as I've done all OS or test outside on my road bike to get my "outside" FTP or test on my Tri Bike outside or on the trainer. Btw, I haven't been on my tri bike since July 2015. It would be interesting to test on my road bike indoors just to know how much my FTP increased over the OS but I also know I need my outside FTP. Maybe test again outdoors in a couple weeks? Thanks!