Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Brian Terwilliger Micro Thread...

Hey! Here's your Micro Thread, as promised. As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away! 

I usually check in 2-3 times a week; for more urgent questions, please use the Chat Icon in the bottom right of the page!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach. I have to go on a Scout trip this weekend. I leave @ noon on Friday and return at an unknown time on Sunday. Its about a 6 hour drive. I can knock out any workout on Friday morning before I go. I probably can do my Sunday run when I return, but, after 6 hours in the car, am I going to want to or be able to do it as called for? Unknown. Whats your suggested Friday workout? Saturday's bike maybe? Or just do Friday as written, skip Saturday, and do whatever I'm capable of with Sundays run?
  • Also, one thing it says in the training plan is that over an hour on the treadmill can be problematic. Is this from a training effectiveness point of view or that most people hate the treadmill and an hour or more is torture? I actually like the treadmill. I can knock out 20 miles on it and actually have fun. Would it be bad to do a majority of the runs on the treadmill? Even Sundays long run? I don't live in the north east, so weather is rarely an issue. But its nice to just hop on my Mill and go.
  • Brian, thanks for the bump on this. I would like you to do your Saturday arrive and hopefully short run on Friday morning. The new Saturday is"off" and Sunday, when you return, do your best to get some form of running. I don't need you to hit the exact threshold zones etc. from the run workout.

I would be happy with a 30 minute effort, bonus if you get closer to an hour. We're just trying to keep your training load as steady as possible, so any type of run will do the trick.

That assumes a lot of things all aligned to make it work. If that's not the case you be fine with taking this Saturday and Sunday off to just stay on track.

Have a great trip!

~ Coach P
  • Hey Coach.  Want to get ahead of this so I can plan/alter schedule accordingly.  My end of OS test race is the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon on Saturday March 4th.  As expected, and no doubt planned, fatigue and training stress is starting to set in.  How should I alter the schedule going forward to get proper rest, recovery and a little taper in to be rested and ready to blast it on March 4th?  I know following the schedule as is will leave me unable to perform to the best of my ability.  I also have a huge wager on the race against a friend also running it.  Its a loss I can't bear.  I must win.  I plan on the coming week (Feb 13-19th) as written.  After that is when I suspect I need to make changes.  Thanks!
  • @Brian Terwilliger

Good to hear from you. I agree getting ahead of it is the best plan right now (and greatly increases your chance of success!). Here is your current road map:

I say that you:

Do Weeks 11, 12 and then 14. 
    In Week 11, you do the normal week.
    In Week 12, you keep the Wed run to 45 minutes, and the Sunday run to 6 miles. Bike as planned, resting Mon and Friday.
    In Week 14 (no week 13!): You do the following: 

Mon - OFF
    Tue - Light run of 30 to 40' with some strides.
    Wed - Bike Test Day
    Thu - Light run of 30 to 40' with some strides.
    Fri - OFF, rest and stretch. 
    Sat - Warm up and race!
    Sun - OFF to recover.
    Monday - Load up the Swim Camp plan.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • The Half Marathon, I crush it!  1:29:38.  PR by 2:56.  I had many a doubt that the run portion of the OS was going to get me to this pace.  The last 5K was 38 seconds slower than my last 5K time trial in week 8.  To me, that is the most amazing thing of the whole day.  #WorkWorks

I can't wait for IM Raleigh 70.3.  Sub 4:45 is the goal.  Current PR is 5:03:59.  Lets do it!  Oh ya, its gonna be 100 degrees out.  

Can't thank you and Coach Rich enough.  
  • @Brian Terwilliger

WOWSERS! That's awesome....a solid PR but more importantly SUB ONE THIRTY. That's sick. 

And I love that last 5k stat. If there is Beast Mode, today it shall be known as Terwilliger Mode because you just gave 13.1 the beat down. 

Sub 4:45 is looming big time...but it's almost time to switch to being a real triathlete with swimming and stuff. How is that going for you? 

Again, congrats!

~ Coach P
  • @Coach Patrick 

Knocking out swim camp this week and next, then 70.3 training plan gets uploaded.  I'm a swimmer.  There will be no issues or worries there.  I'll beat a good number of the pro's times.  Focusing on increasing my power on the bike and run durability.  Question, Thursday is usually a double run.  Does it matter which is done in the morning and which in the evening from a results perspective?  Thanks!
  • @Brian Terwilliger - Great....you can put it on cruise control for right now, on a Macro Level we are just allowing that fitness to consolidate a bit. As for those split runs the first is meant to be a bit harder, and the second a steady one. Up to you which you do first...just crush it!  :)

• Monday morning I load up the EN Half Advanced plan for IM Raleigh 70.3 on June 4th.

Have people trying to get me to run the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon in Raleigh on Sunday, April 2nd.  Its a pretty damn hilly half.  And in no way is it associated with the IM Raleigh run course.  Should I race it?  I am leaning toward no from a training perspective.  But would it be beneficial or wise to race a hilly half, then attempt the ABP ride when I got home? Or just be smart and stick to the ABP ride?

• @Brian Terwilliger - you certainly have the fitness to do it. But I wouldn't want you to race it for time.

I'd be okay with you using it as an opportunity to work on execution and still put up the good time -- not a personal best. And then riding off of that for an hour or an hour and half of the fine.

Other than a social commitment, I don't see the training upside unless we focus on the mental aspect. 100% your call...let me know!
  • edited March 30, 2017 10:36AM
    Coach P & R.  I need some help.  I'm in trouble.  Today is day 5 of a 101+ fever.  I have failed all flu tests, so its not that and the doctors are going with the old "its a viral thing, we can't give you anything for it, you just have to get through".  Great!  I am in week 11 of the EN Half Advanced program for IM Raleigh 70.3 on June 4th.  The last thing I did was Friday morning's swim last week.  2 hours after exiting the pool is when my fever spiked, and has remained there since.  And I am not sure when I am going to be able to actually do a workout as proscribed in the plan.  This weekends plan calls for a race rehearsal.  And next week a bunch of testing.  I don't believe either of those is really in my best interest.  Is there an earlier week in the plan I should sub in this week and next, or should I just slog through the plan as written best I can, but ignore the test results?  No way would an FTP or 5K run test produce a viable result that any kind of training should be based on.  And I honestly believe the stress of those tests would likely compromise my recovery.

Also, with the loss of so much training, would it be best to skip the planned Olympic Distance Tri on April 22 and stick to what the training plan has that day?  I haven't paid the entry fee yet, so I'm not out anything if I do skip it. 

On Edit.  Its now day 7.  Fever finally below 100 but still unable to workout.  I may try a light jog tonight, but probably won't.  Tomorrow the same.  Saturday, if the weather is nice in the morning I plan on going for a bike ride of some kind if I feel up to it.  Hoping that come Monday I can resume actual training.  If not, I fear Raleigh 70.3 goals are out the window.  

Assuming Monday I can start to actually train again at expected levels, what should I do next week? 
  • @Brian Terwilliger - I have been avoiding this post, because I'm afraid I might catch what you have. :lol: just kidding, it sounds terrible.

Look, getting sick totally sucks. But it happens to everybody, just a peek around these forms will show you that! Sometimes I wonder if we are a triathlon team or an elementary school with all of these colds. :smile:

Just because you're sick and not training doesn't mean that your fitness has disappeared. Instead of thinking about it as fitness, think about it like learning a language. If you were speaking French fluently 10 days ago, And stop speaking French... Yes, your first couple conversations back will be awkward. But soon it will all come rushing back... And so too will your fitness.

This is very true in your case, because you have been KILLING IT with your training. If you have been slacking, I can see your concern. But that was not the case. Here's what I recommend:

• NO TESTING. Not worth it. Let's use that week to get back into a routine. 
    • No swimming until week of 4/10. You don't need to do it, you're a great swimmer and swimming when you're sick is torture.
    • Yes to aerobic biking. Any chance you get, get your light over the bike and just spin your legs. Even if it's 30 minutes. We need to get your body used to sweating again and getting those muscles stretched out.
    • No running until April 3... And even that first week, it should just be easy/TRP pace.
    Ideally you're outside this weekend just enjoying being outside. And then by next weekend your back on track. That's still 8 weeks, and the bulk of your Race Prep to Raleigh in your future. :)

Oly tri, let's hold off until the weekend after next to decide!

~ Coach P
  • Thanks.  I'll do some cycling this weekend as best I can, and cycle a bunch next week with some TRP runs thrown in and attempt to go full bore back at it on April 10th. 

Quick and stupid question.  Runs off the bike in the EN Half Advanced plan.  Such as Zone 2 out Zone 3 Back, 30 minutes, or 1 mile Zone 3, remainder zone 2, 30 minutes.

Am I to hop off the bike and immediately start running in Zone 3 (or zone 2)?  No transitional warm up?  Just want to make sure I do it right. 
  • @Brian Terwilliger - Man, I love your profile image. I laugh every time the page loads. :smile:

I hope your weekend came together as you had planned!

Yes, this is a quick transition...within 10 minutes. You don't need to run through the house and knock down any doors...this isn't how you will RACE but it's how we'll challenge your fitness in the compressed / time-sensitive nature of our workouts!

~ Coach P
  • Decision time.  Should I race an Olympic Distance Tri next Saturday, April 22nd.  Still coming off the illness.  The swim is back and back strong.  The run, not so much.  The bike is doing well.  Have a big cycling weekend ahead (week 13 EN Advanced Half plan for IM Raleigh 70.3 on June 4th).  So the question is, are the benefits, whatever they may be, of doing a race (1,500M swim, 45K bike, 10K run on a pretty much pancake course) enough to forgo the Saturday workouts in Week 14 of the plan?  If I race, should I move Saturday to Sunday instead of the ABP ride?

I'm neutral on doing the race.  Have good number of friends doing it and would enjoy doing it, but Raleigh is the focus.  If you say race, I race.  If you say skip I'll skip. 

If I do race, how does one pace an Olympic distance Tri?  I've never raced that short before.  For the swim, my plan is almost always to hang on the feet of whoever the fastest person is, then race them from the last turn buoy to the exit.  Unless they are just so fast they leave me behind, or so slow I just have to take the lead a dust em.  No idea how to pace the bike.  And a 10K run is long enough that its not a Z4/5 out of the gates effort like a 5K would be. 

I can see the benefits of racing.  The experience, the ability to shake out logistics, set ups, transitions, execution of strategy, testing ones self, etc...  But don't want to sacrifice the training benefits of what's on plan that day.  So confused. 

Need to register in the next couple days before it closes. 

• @Brian Terwilliger - You should RACE. Expect little from the run, so you can be surprised. But will be great to have fun and shake out the cobwebs. 

The pacing guidance is in the Short Course area here: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/ShortCoursePlanResources/PacingandNutrition.aspx

If you want to push that swim, it's cool, but you need to be smart in the first few minutes of the bike. 

Follow the regular training week BUT:
    • Cut the long run to an hour on Thursday.
    • Friday OFF
    • Saturday RACE
    • Sunday ABP Ride (or as close as you can). 
    Going to be epic...once you check out that racing guidance, let me know if you have anything else for me re questions!

~ Coach P
  • Alright coach, we have a problem.  Its called 95 degrees and 90% humidity.  My run training zones are based off my 1:39:38 half when it was 45 degrees out.  There is no way I can come close to those zone times today on runs.  I found a thing on here somewhere saying add 3 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 65.  Ya, that didn't work either.  So my thoughts/questions.  I can hit those paces no problem on the treadmill.  All day long.  Or faster.  But we don't race on treadmills.  And I don't mind going 2 hours on the treadmill for Thursdays long run.  I really don't.  I like the treadmill.  But how disadvantaged will I be come race day and its 100+ out, and it almost certainly will be in Raleigh on June 4th for the 70.3.  Are there specific runs each week that absolutely should be done outside in the heat and others the treadmill is OK or even better?  I know I read on the site somewhere about the physical work at pace is whats important.  So treadmill to make that happen for most runs?  As an example.  Wednesday, 80 minutes threshold ride with Zone 4 intervals.  No way in hell am I running sub 7 miles off the bike in the 90s for 30 minutes.  The ride will be done on the trainer, and I can easily hop right onto the treadmill and bust out 30 minutes of <7 miles.

So to make the long short, how do I properly adjust pace for temp/humidity?  Should I use the treadmill, and if so, how much?  Or should I shun the mill and just suffer as best I can in the heat and run at whatever the best pace I can muster on that run is?  

As an example of recent run, last Thursday's long run was supposed to be 10' warm up (8:24 min/mi), then 65' at 7:09, 15' at 6:52, 5' at 6:44, then run till two hours at TRP (7:46).  Ha!  After the warm up, tried to drop to 7:09.  Didn't happen.  Couldn't happen.  So basically threw in the towel and just ran best I could for 2 hours and came in at an 8:20 avg.  And I had to work for that.  I need help and guidance!  Lots of it!  Thanks!  

• @Brian Terwilliger - I hear you. And THANK YOU for reading around first. So the heat and humidity suck, now, in May, when you haven't adapted. As you adapt more, your body will be able to function better (not 45-degree better!) than it is now. 

So, you need to approve me on strava but my guess is your HR is screaming in that "old" Zone 2 pace. It hasn't adapted. So here are my thoughts for you...

1. Let go of the current paces unless you are on a Tmill. If you force it outside, you'll ruin Raleigh and dig a hole. Run as close to the target pace based off of perceived effort. IOW if you and I just landed in Vail and were running at altitude, you'd be 100% ok with slower...."Doode, no air!"...but because you are at home, you are all angry about it. Can't force it. An 8:24 miles in crazy humidity is the physiological equivalent of a 7:09 mile in gorgeous winter weather. 

2. Letting go is something to practice as you'll need to do it on (a hot) race day as well. If things are heating up, success will be a result of good pacing, not forcing yourself into some predetermined zone. Adapt or fade on the run. He who slows down the least wins. 

3. Our goal is to get you adapted to the heat as quickly as possible. Even if race day isn't terrible, having trained in it will make you better prepared. So we want as many of your runs IN the heat as possible. Embrace the suck. You will need to improve your hydration game (many short loops?). Even if you do a brick with first half in, second half out. 

4. You can track adaptation by noting HR performance over these runs. Your HR will eventually "normalize" to the conditions. It won't be perfect, but it will be stable. That new number, honed over next 3.5 weeks, will be a guide to you in Raleigh. 

Let me know when I can see those Strava WKOs...

~ Coach P
  • @Coach Patrick  You're all good on Strava.  I'll hit tonights VO2 run out side on a 1.1 mile loop.

One thing, on my outdoor bikes, You'll think my power is low.  I have a Stages power meter, and as is the case, it likes to drop the signal as my 520 is out in the bars on my aero bottle.  And with zeros included, it drops my numbers. Zwift rides, with virtually no drops is a better representation on the bike for power numbers being help.
  • And I know I can run in the heat.  Ran a 1:44:XX half in my 70.3 last Sept in 95+ degrees which I was thrilled with.  Just gotta get my brain and body prepared to do it.  Thoughts on adding a Z1 or easier 30 minute run on Monday nights just to get out there a little more.
  • @Brian Terwilliger - Another thing I forgot to mention is that the folks who have the most issues with this "heat change" are the already fast folks. Who want to stay fast. The important thing to note is that when the sun comes to get you, it gets ERRYBODY. So we all slow down...so your 7:30s becomes 7:44s on a hot race, but Jimmy's 8:00s become 8:20s, etc. 

When I look at that White Lake Half, your Avg HR for the run was 144...which is pretty consistent with where you are now. Last week's 14.2 miles was, you guessed it, 144 AHR...but 8:12 miles. 

The difference?

A few more months in the heat and a less hilly run course (your training run was hillier). 

To acclimate, more lunch runs, but not in Zone9 please. :) 

Hope that helps!

~ Coach P
  • Can't run during lunch.  My lunch is 30 minutes.  And it would need to be done on the treadmill if I could.  Then it would be short so I could shower and get back to my desk.  Just not possible.

Question for this weekend.  And next week. This Sunday there is an organized ride of the IM Raleigh bike course.  However, riding it will prevent a run off the bike.  I lean toward doing it for the knowledge gained.  And it adds the possibility of doing a competitive 1.2 mile swim prior (Jordan Lake Open Water Challenge), BUT I would then sit around for quite some time, as in more than an hour before starting the bike after the swim.  Which kind of defeats the purpose.  So probably not worth it.  Better to swim before Saturdays bike if possible I believe.  Ride course on Sunday and just skip the run off the bike?  The park doesn't open early enough to get in the park, and get a run in before the bike starts if memory serves, but I'll check if they are opening early for the swim race.

Next week, Wednesday has an FTP test listed, but instead, there is a Zone 4 interval workout as the workout.  Which do I do? 

I did nail yesterdays run off the bike.  avg. 6:44 for 3 miles after the Z4 intervals (went 244, 242, 243).  Was 81 degrees but felt much much cooler.  Avg HR on the run was 153.  HR on bike was 133.  On the trainer in the garage.  
  • "Yes Coach Patrick, I see what you did there and I have confidence in what you said."

:smile::lol::innocent:

So no worries about lunch....maybe run post bike when it's hotter? I just want 1-2 hot runs a week. Not hard runs, just runs in the heat. 

Go do it!!! Course experience will be critical...I don't care about the hour...go get some coffee or something. Or mess with everyone by shaving your legs in the parking lot. 

Your runs are good...a timed OWS and 2 x course ride, AWESOME!

~ Coach P
  • @Coach Patrick  Thanks.  I've decided to not do the swim.  I just can't justify $45 to swim a mile.  So just riding.  

What about Wednesday next week?  FTP or the Z4 intervals.  It says both.  
  • @Brian Terwilliger -  do the Z4 work, my friend!  I hear you on the $45...that's a bit much!
  • @Coach Patrick

Sorry, this might get a touch long.  I apologize.  Last RR was today before Raleigh 70.3 on June 4th.  All in all I am satisfied with the day.  Little slow on the run.  7:57 avg pace for the 6 miles with four 30 second 'aid station' walks and a bazillion degrees out.  I know my limits on the run.  The chances of it being 100+ on the blacktop in downtown Raleigh for the run is damn near 100%.  Its an oven on the run.  If I come in sub 1:45 I will be beyond thrilled.  I'll probably throw up a race plan when I figure out where to post it.  You can review and comment.  

But I have a question following todays ride.  My FTP last tested at 254.  Lets knock 10 off and go with 245.  85% is 208.  So my goal watts is to come in between 205 and 210.  Nice mid Z3 number.  But here's the question.  As soon as I started my ride today, got the msg on my 520 that my PM battery was low.  Thus, I have useless power data from today.  Last Sunday's ABP came in at 200 watts for 51 miles and an avg HR of 120. Very similar terrain. I knew this info.  So today I rode trying to keep an HR of 130.  Came in at 129 avg.  This however is a mid Z2 HR.  Strava's behind the scenes voodoo estimated my avg power at 199.  Not sure how accurate that is.  But probably not far off.

So here is my question.  Once I settle into the ride and start approaching the half way point, if I'm showing an avg watts in my target range but my HR is still down in the mid to upper 120s (or lower) and I'm feeling good, would it be advisable to at that point abandon watts and ride at a harder effort to get a mid Z3 HR (@138)?  Or will that blow up my legs and destroy my run?  As a reference, my avg HR on my FTP test was 152.  And it takes everything I have or an Everest like climb to get my HR to approach 150.   

Secondary question.  I've looked and looked and looked but can not find this info.  With an FTP of 254 and target watts of 205-210, what would my absolute cap on watts be for climbs?  Raleigh's course doesn't have any big hills.  Not a single one will get you out of your saddle or put you in your granny gear.  But what it does have is some long sustained gradual climbs that if I stay at 210 or even 220, I will literally be doing 8 miles an hour.  And a few of them are right out of the gate when power is being kept down.  But the majority are 20+ miles in. And some are many miles long.  You can ask Mariah about Lake Wheeler Road toward the end.  Its where a lot of people die cause they attacked the first 40 miles.  Pea Ridge Road is another fairly early thats a long climb up and out from the lake.    

I have a compact crank and an 11/28 if that helps at all.  Thanks!
  • @Brian Terwilliger - the longer and more detail the better I can help you! Looks like I can help you a lot…  :wink: 

1. overall, great work. The fact that you were able to broaden that speed after your workout shows, that even without power, you were spot on. That is no small feat! A testament to your execution skills for sure. PS – change those batteries ASAP!!!!

2. remember that both Watts and heart rate are targets we use to create the conditions we want for a successful run and also a good ride. But the run is the most important. I will happily take an underperformed bike but an eight-minute mile run on that course. Especially in a hot day, that will crush the competition. So it's all relative.

You're top priority in the first few miles of the bike is to get Your heart rate down to the normal level, or as close to the normal level, that you see when you start your long Saturday rides. Say that number is 130 Bpms... Since you came out of transition at 150bpms... You have a few miles of soft-pedaling deep breathing and hydrating to try and get that heart rate down as close as you can. Then you can begin pushing.

Generally speaking, when the watts are low I take a look at my speed. I'm working at a certain level of watts to generate enough speed to create the time that I want. If I'm getting the time that I want without working too hard that I'm fine with it. No need to push the watts higher and roll the dice.  For example, if I want 22mph and estimate 240W to get that....but I am only riding 220W and getting my 22mph avg...I am WINNING. No need to push harder. 

If your Waterlot, and your speed is low, time to check the heart rate. Sometimes your bodies just working hard enough, and not putting out the power. If that is the case, then don't push harder on the bike. Your body is telling you it's already working hard enough and they're still around to go. If all three are low, you could be off calorically speaking or maybe you just need to push it a little bit to get into the next gear. Your call. 

3. as for climbing the hills, we recommend three gears. 

• Gear One is Your warm-up gear, will be trying at the heart rate down. This is 70%-ish. 
    • Gear Two is your all-day ride pace, in your case between 80 and 85%. 
    • Gear Three is 10% higher than race watts, in your case about 230. As always, use heart rate as a guide not just the watts. 
    • Gear Fourr is your super steep climbs which can be 10 to 15% higher than race watts -- these are sub 1-minute hills. Only for the strong!
    Again, you will have to make a call at the end of your ride. More often than not, there's very little to be gained by pushing harder over any specific health. I would much rather that you ride that he'll study, and push the downhill side of it. Remember that you always want to choose the option they give you free speed versus hard earned speed. All of that will pay off in the run. If you bike properly, you will be fast with minimal effort and exit that leg of the race with a lower heart rate. That gives you more bandwidth on the run than the competition!! Good luck!!!!
  • @Coach Patrick

Alright, IM Raleigh 70.3 in the books.  Pinging you as asked.  My season road map had me upload the "Advanced Get Faster" plan starting 06/05 and ending on 07/16, but only doing weeks 5, 6, 7, and 8 with the EN Full Advanced plan getting upload on 07/03 for IM Chattanooga.  As mentioned, the way the Advanced Get Faster plan loaded up, this week is test week!  BS.  Not doing it.  Serves no purpose.  Weeks 6, 7, and 8 look fine.  I can do those unless you think there are a better 3 weeks I should load up until the FULL plan starts on 07/03.  

My focus and goal over the next 15 weeks (or whatever it is till IM Choo) needs to be increasing, not just maintaining, but increasing my FTP and getting my run durability to a point where I can do a sub 3:30 run at Choo. I'm hoping a worst case scenario 3:45 marathon.  But then it is IRONMAN and sometimes shit happens and you have a long day.  With a sub 10 goal the swim will take care of itself, especially down stream. I lollygagged a 31:16 on Sunday through heavy traffic and in 83 degree water, which instantly makes me back way off cause I will overheat if I push it in hot water.  But I need to get the bike close to 5 hours if not under to give me some breathing room on the run.  I could have broke 2:30 at Raleigh if I pushed it just a touch harder on a few of the sections, but purposefully held way back on a good bit of it as I was happy seeing my avg MPH just under 22 without really pushing myself. How much of the Choo 70.3 bike course is shared with the Full?  A friend did Choo 70.3 a couple weeks ago and popped a 2:33 and he couldn't hang with me on the bike if his life depended on it.  So is it just a fast course?  

As far as a post race call, I am available every day at 2 for 30 minutes, and I drive home from 4 till 4:45 every day (except tomorrow 06/07, have to stay late at work for a project).  Probably not interested in doing a podcast call for Raleigh.  Its was a pretty boring an uneventful day.  Just went and did my work and finished.  IM Chattanooga however I would be interested in doing a podcast after the race.