Home General Training Discussions
Options

Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Comments

• Options
    @Brian Hagan - can you add me to the group me?
    Just to be clear, need
    Zwift (did initial setup last night, doing a test run tomorrow)
    Group me
    Discord
    given that I use the laptop for Zwift, what is best for Group me (Phone?) and discord? I have an ipad available.

• Options
    Okay so I checked the Sunday ride. Couple questions. At the start it seemed like I was not at  start line but instead out in the middle of the course with no one around. I was able to just join a few minutes later when I  looked for EN riders and clicked ride with... What did I do wrong there? I guess when I was done I figured out the voice app. I'm looking forward to joining again. It will be way better with voice app.!
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin when you first start zwift it puts you a few hundred yards from the start banner.  soft pedal to the start banner and then wait till 8am Eastern to start pedaling (you will see others waiting there)

I'm glad you figured out that you can select to join other riders when you didn't see anyone else. 

Yes the ride is enhanced by discord the voice app.

You did great today and hope to see you back. Now that you know the ins and outs you'll be able to just ride
  • Options
    anyone have experience using the discord app on an Ipad? the app kept crashing on my Samsung S7Edge+ 'droid. 
    P also told me after not to use wireless headphones, wondering if that would help if i used wire headphones through the laptop.. 
    otherwise I am thinking of doing the discord through the ipad and zwift on the laptop... 
    thoughts? 
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhoferthat is a good plan.  I do zwift in the laptop and Discord, amazon music, groupme and Zwift Mobile app on the iPhone. 
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer I also use laptop for zwift and iphone for Spotify and discord with Apple wired headphones with microphone 
  • Options
    Is this ride happening tomorrow and if so what course is planned?  Thanks. 
  • Options
    @Daniel Ballin yes it is, but go through the forum and make sure you are on the GroupMe and Discord.  Everyone is strting at different times tomorrow and using the "Ride With" function to join in.  Make sure you follow myself or @Coach Patrick @Tim Sullivan and others so yiu can join in.  The course is Watopia Figure 8.  Some are starting at 5:30 Est.   I plan to just join them when I get up and going some time before 8:00 AM.
  • Options
    For anyone lurking on this post - time to join the fun!   Did my first one today and it was a blast.
    @Jenn Edwards and @Tim Sullivan - my legs are still sore from chasing you two for a couple of hours!
  • Options
    Trying to solve Discord issue.  I was really loud to other riders this morning.  I was using wireless headphones with mic and volume controls on it.  When I switched to "push to talk" I couldn't hear anyone else so I just turned it off and turned up the music.  Does everyone use regular headphones and just use the mic built into your phone?  Should I turn way down the Sensitivity and Output Volume? Maybe use Discord on the laptop?
  • Options
    @Tom Glynn - Here you go...

• don't use wireless headphones per the wiki instructions. Wired only, iPhone ones are simple. 
    • If you are on an Android phone it likely won't work (current issues). 
    • Set to push to talk, but then go back to make "Voice Chat" area....it won't work on the settings screen.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan @Tim Sullivan @Ian Kurth  @Jenn Edwards

Any input on updates to the Sunday ride?  

Sunday Zwift is 8am EST Official start at banner.

• Ride lasts anywhere from 2 to 2.5 hours
    • Early riders can do what they want but should plan to be at the banner on time.
    • Ride is @ 2 to 2.5 W/kg except for KOMs and Sprints (we will regroup afterwards).
    • Joining after 8am EST? Just choose a TeamEN person to follow and jump in.

Other Ideas

• If we are capping it at 2-2.5 except for sprints / climbs...then do we consider a "Tempo Ten" – every hour on the hour you can opt in for 10’ @ 3 to 3.5 W/kg.
    • A once a month “extended Century edition” (folks can go earlier or later, but still need to do ABP in the middle!).
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick   I think 2.5 is a little low for what typically happens (but probably is the average)  maybe something like
    • Ride starts @ 2 W/kg and slowly rise over the first hour to between 2.5 to 3 W/kg except for KOMs and Sprints (we will regroup afterwards).  After the second hour the W/kg may go up to finish out the ride
    • The KOMs and Sprints are typically HARD efforts that last between about 10 seconds and 8 minutes
    or it could say
    • Ride is @ 2 to 3 W/kg except for KOMs and Sprints (we will regroup afterwards) 
    • The KOMs and Sprints are typically HARD efforts that last between about 10 seconds and 8 minutes
  • Options
    @Tim Sullivan Thanks...how do we "expand" the ride....do you think 1x a month as a "planned" century is a good idea?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I think that a planned century is a good idea especially in the off season but I think we might need more people to make it work. It seems like it's always easy to ride at least a metric century with no planning during the normal Zwift Sunday rides.

If we get more riders across the different time zones then that would be an easy way to ride a century without having to include a planned century ride.

The ABP century I did last  Sunday was more fun than just constant power riding but it got tiring near the end after 4 hours that included all those KOMS and sprints mixed in. My VI for that ride was 1.26
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I really like the planned century idea. I think that like me some people will join and ride as long as they can hang on Either starting late or quitting early. It's been a great way for me to ride at a hard steady effort with people who are stronger than me. Maybe each time try to hold on for a few more miles. Seems like a great way to hold on to endurance in the winter.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I like the 3.0/3.5 10' interval idea, except I think it would be hard to time depending on the course.  On Watopia Figure 8, there seems to be a KOM every 10 to 15 minutes.  On the London Pretzel, it would be perfect to fit them in after the 2 climbs, because you go 40 minutes until the next KOMs.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the course expansions.  I am also thinking it may be fun to change our courses up and have different themes.  We could do three sisters with work on long hard intervals of climbing.   We could do Volcano flat with focus on long sustained efforts, just outside your comfort zone (Z3+).

Faster riders should also expect to use the down aero and flip it to keep the group together.  We dropped one rider this week.  I don't think the rider cared, but I want to make sure they keep coming back.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - Many of these nuances sort themselves out with a designated ride leader/pacer.  Have the leader declared ahead of time, and wear a different (easily identifiable jersey).  If the pacers keep a 2.8-3 W/kg pace, those in the draft only need to ride low to mid 2W/kg, and just have to focus on staying on the wheel.  For many, this will be a welcomed and rewarding challenge.

Keeping the ride framework simple also allows newbies to better understand.  I think the ride is more attractive as an "ABP" focus (2.8-3 W/kg pace for ride leader) with course specific options of KOM and sprints and regrouping as needed.  Depending on the makeup of the group, the ride leader can offer some "spicy laps" or tempo segments.
  • Options
    @Ian Kurth @Coach Patrick - I like this pacer idea.  I'd sign up for that after IMKY.
  • Options
    Here is a question I have regarding simulating an IM course in Zwift:

@Jenn Edwards posted this back on August 2:

Anyone interested in riding custom workouts into Zwift is welcome give a warmup file I created a try as proof of concept.   I'm linking it here so you can use to see if it would benefit you without having to actually create the workout.

Additional How Tos: 
    - Create your own structured workout to ride in Zwift like this: https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000325647-Structured-Workout-Export
    - Create a race plan for a course in the real world like this: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/support (go to the last FAQ under the "File Downloads and Device Settings" section.  Of note you can also drop this onto your Garmin to give guidance during an outdoor ride and into TrainerRoad to ride it there.   I'll be giving the outside on a Garmin a proof-of-concept ride this weekend and am glad to share how it goes if there is any interest.

Enjoy!

In the BBS FAQs under File Downloads and Device Settings it now says:

Zwift is a social indoor cycling video game and training platform. It allows cyclists to train and ride in a beautiful 3D environment along with other riders from anywhere on the planet. We have created a special Zwift workout file that allows athletes to load BBS Race plans as workouts into the Zwift workout library. This file type is in beta as we add additional features to it over the off season such as on screen instructions for road gradients and weather conditions.

1. First you must have a Best Bike Split and a Zwift account.
    2. Create a Athlete Profile in Best Bike Split to get baseline information such as FTP.
    3. Upload a course or courses you wish to model into Best Bike Split in .GPX or .FIT format or choose one or more courses from our growing database.
    4. Create a race plan based on Goal IF, Time or TSS.
    5. From the Race Details page download the Zwift file type (a .ZWO file).
    6. Place this file into your documents/zwift/workouts directory on your computer. (NOTE: Group BBS workouts in the Zwift interface by adding a new directory called BBS inside the workouts directory.)
    7. Open Zwift and your BBS workout will be available.
    8. START THE RIDE!"

I have a non-smart trainer with cadence, speed and power on the bike that communicates to my Garmin (and eventually Zwift when I get the ANT+ extension) via ANT+. I really would rather not spend $1,200 on a Wahoo Kickr smart trainer and another $329 on the Wahoo Elemnt in order to seamlessly integrate with the BBS race plan. I currently do not subscribe to BBS.

Here is the question: Has anyone uploaded an IM BBS race plan (.ZWO file) into the /zwift/workouts directory and ridden the course -- did the process work for you? If so, did you use a not so smart trainer?  Or, would a smart trainer (particularly the recommended Kickr and Elemnt) be a better investment?  Would love to ride IMMT during the winter...

• Options
    @Tony Ledden Your question about the BBS in Zwift was a part of our 5 hour conversation last Friday. The consensus is that it is a useful tool to try one time a few weeks before a key race. I did it with a smart trainer in erg mode. @Coach Patrick and @Francis Picard  did BBS courses with dumb trainers. It gives you a good feel for what a low VI feels like.  Also, I think its great for a race rehearsal ride.
  • Options
    I would like to try out riding with all of the cool kids tomorrow morning.  I have most of it set up correctly - I think. 

Zwift - check. I tested riding with my new Elite Direto.  All seems to be good.
    Zwift Mobile - Didn't download it.  Do I need it?
    Discord - check.  I am logged in, but no way to test it and have never used it.
    Group Me - Not quite.  I have the app from previous EN events, just can't figure out how to find or join this group.
    5:00AM start AZ Time - check hopefully.
    ??? - Am I missing anything.
    How do I find the ride to join?
    Android User.  Does this work?  Can I use my BT headphones or do they need to be wired?

I haven't been on my bike in too long, so I'm sure I will get dropped like a bad habit.

My 2 cents on this thread.  If @Coach Patrick could start a new sticky thread that only has the setup instructions, that would save us newbies from reading old start times, etc.  Second, post a running start time, course, etc on the Dashboard.  That would make it a quick view from the smartphone.  
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis

To ride be at the start line in Watopia at 8:00 AM Eastern with Watopia Figure 8 selected. Be a little early and soft pedal all the way up to the banner. You should see us. Also make sure your jersey is correct. I believe it is Basic #5. Look for the red one with big black stripes.

I see you were added to Groupme, you might be in the wrong room? Go into the app and there is a back button in the upper left corner so you can switch to the correct room.

Zwift mobile link is a nice to have. You can use it to follow us in the App which will make it easier to solve problems if for whatever reason you separated from the group. It is also used to take screenshots and give "Ride Ons". 

Wired headphones seem to work best. 
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes Thanks for the update. I don't get the option to change jersey color I signed up for the 7 day trial to check it out, so that may be why.  Refreshed Groupme and nothing.  Once the chatter starts that should fix itself.  I'll get the app. 

Seems like it will be like trying to play a video game while riding a bike at a high level. There is a lot of stuff to manage.
  • Options
    First go at this was a fail.  I couldn't talk to anyone on discord because i have no contacts.  I couldn't connect to anyone on GroupMe.  I guess I missed some instructions somewhere.  My bike fitness was terrible anyway.  I need to work on that first.   :'(

• Options
    Don't give up! For Discord you need to get on the channel. Here is a link that should work:

discord.gg/2nJcj2v

Use that on your phone and it should get you in. Once it is time to ride you need to turn on Voice Communication with the app.

In GroupMe it does say you are a member. I am not sure why it is not working on your phone. You could try it on the GroupMe webpage?

For most of the ride we are going at a pretty reasonable pace. The group only goes hard on the Sprints and KOM climbs and then regroups. You just need to stay in the draft and hold 2.5w/kg or so. Definitely don't give up! 
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes thank you for the help.  I think I have it all working now.  Now I just need to find my cycling legs.
  • Options
    Those of you in the GroupMe saw my comment about finding the new group workout feature very helpful for motivation.  @Coach Patrick asked me for a summary of how they work, so here 'tis:

The group workouts are available like any other race or group ride.  For example, in the Zwift Mobile Link "Events" tab, when I filter by category E (everyone), I see this.  You'll see a group workout scheduled at 1700 today. 
    Once selected, you can sign up like any workout.  

Note the text above in the screenshot:
    Zwifters line up in the starting area just like a normal event and once the event starts, workout mode begins. Everyone stays together regardless of power output. That's right, if you're outputting 100W and another Zwifter is outputting 400W you will stay in exactly the same position relative to each other. Only if you stop pedaling and fall 6 meters behind the group will the rubber-banding stop.

How does it all work?  If you've done a Zwift workout before, you already understand the basics.  Based on your FTP, the workout will appear in the top left corner of your screen, showing how long to spend at what wattage.  Using the app, you can increase or decrease this by up to 10%.  When the workout starts, just like a race or group ride, start pedaling.  As long as you are pedaling, no matter what your actual power output is, you will keep up with the group.  If you stop pedaling, you will fall off the group and lose the draft.

Just like the ABP rides, I found the support of others suffering similarly helpful to get through the workout.  There was a lot of messaging going on, and it was all very supportive.

If you're having trouble getting through individual workouts, this is a good alternative.  I expect I'll be doing it again.  I encourage anyone else to try the same.
  • Options
    As we start winter training via the outseason plans I was wondering if there is any interesting in creating a regular group ride in Zwift (probably ABP style) on Saturdays in addition to Sundays so there is an option to do that type of ride and stay true to the outseason schedule. I am west coast, but have no problem starting early to fit with east coast timing.