Home General Training Discussions
Options

Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Comments

• Options
    @Sid Wavrin
    I can see myself on Zwift Saturday mornings with a warm up, then some type of Zwift race for intensity then Z3/Z2 or 2.0 - 3.0 w/kg riding thereafter.....

SS
  • Options
    As we start winter training via the outseason plans I was wondering if there is any interesting in creating a regular group ride in Zwift (probably ABP style) on Saturdays in addition to Sundays so there is an option to do that type of ride and stay true to the outseason schedule. I am west coast, but have no problem starting early to fit with east coast timing.
    Since I am hacking the OS to do only one FTP or VO2 workout weekly on Wednesday, and another ABP ride on Saturday, I'd be willing to consider this IF it starts no earlier than 0800 PST (1500 UTC). Apparently, Trainer Road + my KICKR is so yesterday. 
  • Options
    I like the idea of
    1) Having 2 options for the team - Sunday vs. Saturday
    2) Having a west coast friendly start time on one of those.  I could actually run and then ride with you all on Saturday.
  • Options
    I like Saturday and Sunday options as well. I am with the slower group in C/D so I'd love if some folks down the FTP scale with me ride along lol. Saturday can be races which mesh into Z2 afterwards.
  • Options
    Saturday Zwift rides sound great to me.   Turby works 'til 10:00 so we'd be good with Al's 8:00 PST (11:00 EST) on Saturdays.   Great to have options!!!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons @Al Truscott @Brian Hagan @maurice matthews @carol_defazio and all others. Let's try to fire this up on Saturday. I will be on Zwift at 8:00 PST on Saturday and will hope someone else shows up. I think Saturday will be Watopia so maybe we can ride the jungle route. It seems as if the "ride with" feature is working so select an EN team member if you are late, otherwise we can soft pedal to the start banner by 8AM.  Also get on discord. (The link is in this thread somewhere if you haven't done it.) I will also mention this on the ABP Group Me thread. 
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin I am a total newbie to Zwift, so I'll see if I can get oriented between now and then, I may be old, but I've learned many new tricks in my life. For starters, I have an original 1984 MacIntosh...

And, BTW, this Saturday will still be PDT, but I assume its 8 nonetheless left coast time.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott I am also pretty new to Zwift and also pretty old! Actually went quite well. I did see system requirements so you take look at that. Hope to see you Saturday in Watopia. 8:00 left coast. You are correct. PDT. 
  • Options

I plan on doing the Saturday 0800 pdt zwift ride 11/4/2017.

• Options
    Great, so it looks like we have two rides now.  If you are new, it is very helpful if you take a look at the Zwift wiki Getting Started with Zwift and Sunday ABP Rides . Don't worry about the A,B,C.... in your last name, because the ride has evolved to where all stay together except for the KOMs (we regroup after).  It is helpful to have TeamEN in your last name.

Discord is what really makes it fun.  We have been chatting on Discord and the time flies!  Here is a more up to date invite code to the EN Channel in Discord discord.gg/DgAeBa .  If anyone want to test it, just message the groupMe and someone will be able get on Discord and walk you through it.  That invite will expire, so just message us in the GroupMe for a new one.

I am going to try and make the Saturday ride, but I am negative SAPs right now and may need to get some things done around the house.

For Sunday, we will do London Pretzel at 8:00 Est.  Look at @Sid Wavrin post above for Saturday.  If you are not level 10, make sure you follow Sid on the Zwift Mobile App iOS or Android.  It's best to download in advance and follow as many of you EN Teammates as possible.  You will be able to see them on the map in upper right corner of your screen.  It makes it so much easier for the ride leader to keep everyone together!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan are we sure that riders below level 10 can access the course expansion with the "ride with" feature. I think we will have some people new to Zwift that won't be level 10. Maybe best to pick a course we know everyone can access?
  • Options
    Saturday - Watopia "Jungle Route" - Start at banner or click " Ride with" and select an EN teammate. This will automatically link you with the group. This also works if you are late. Zwift gives you a few seconds to catch up with the person you have selected.
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin My recommendation would be to do the Watopia Figure 8 instead.  There will already be a lot of new variables for that first ride.
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - agree!  The ride with works great if you are late!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons @Al Truscott @Brian Hagan @maurice matthews @carol_defazio And all others: Let's go with Brian's recommendation to ride Watopia figure 8 on Saturday at 8:00AM Pacific time. This will streamline things for those that may be new to Zwift. So select the Figure 8 course and soft pedal to the banner by 8 or select to ride with an EN member. Hope to see you all there!
  • Options
    I wish I could join you.  Too many kid related activities that late in the morning, CST.  I might be able to move some responsibilities.  Otherwise have fun!
  • Options
    I've created a Saturday Zwift thread (in the Challenge Forum), to help avoid getting signals crossed with Sunday:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24129/saturday-zwift-group-ride/p1?new=1
  • Options
    Awesome Sunday ride ! It made the first 2hrs of my 4hr trainer session so much more tolerable than just me, alone with my thoughts.  I'll be back next Sunday for 2.5hrs.
  • Options
    Yesterday's Sunday ABP ride was awesome.  We had around 20 EN Zwifters (or more).  The group did a great job staying together for the first hour or so, and then we all split up by ability or time constraints.  Despite not having a few of our top gun regulars, we were able to take the top 8 spots on the first sprint.  There were many PRs on the climbs/sprints as well as a few QOMs and green jerseys for the girls.

I believe there is opportunity for improvement on our use of Discord.   Even if the background noise is a little per person, the background will add up to a lot.  My thought is it would be best for us to use the "Push to Talk" mode in the voice settings until you get confirmation from another person that your settings are good.  The heavy breathing on the climbs is fine, but the squeaky trainers and drive trains is rough on the ears. 

I am going to attempt to do a video this week on how to best set up you audio setting and post in a separate thread for Discord.  I will post a link in here and in the Saturday thread.
  • Options
    I agree 100% @Brian Hagan

As the group size grows the random background noise becomes increasingly distracting/annoying, not to mention it makes some people very difficult to hear.  

I nominate you for the official EN Discord Voice Activatoin Approval Chair.    Everyone is Push to Talk until you say otherwise.   Use your power wisely and only for good.  
  • Options
    I had my app set on push to talk because I was watching the NYC marathon coverage and listening to the commentary during the ride.  I could tell when people were suffering by listening to their breathing, just like a real ride, and it was fine.  A little later there was some burping going on (not me) which was a little....distracting.    There was a noticeable hum of trainers etc and I am sure fans and airflow probably caused some unnecessary noise too. 

I wonder if there is any way to keep the breathing and spontaneous banter but minimize the other background noise?
  • Options
    @Satish Punna there is.  I will show it, but this is basically what everyone should do.  
    1) get on trainer with regular set up including fan and start pedaling.  
    2) without talking, slide the sensitivity setting just to the right of where the noise meter is registering.  
    3) start talking and confirm your voice is registering to the right of the sensitivy setting in the green area. 
    4) text in the groupme app to see if anyone is avaible to listen to you while pedaling/fan etc.  
    5) adjust settings based off feedback from the other person. 
  • Options
    Just something to keep in mind when on your trainer a bunch. I've had my headset get corroded because I didnt know this :(

https://zwiftblog.com/dont-let-zwifting-damage-bike/

• Options
    Another interesting gadget you can make that lets your bike rock in the trainer.  Does anyone think there is any benefit to this?

https://zwiftblog.com/rockit-launcher/

• Options
     I was thinking it would be good to have a write up about how to sign up for a race in Zwift and how to create a profile in Zwiftpower.  We even have a team in Zwiftpower (TeamEN), so if you are racing, set up a profile in Zwiftpower and include "TeamEN" in you profile if you like.  

so, @Brian Hagan  - how do we setup a profile correclty in Zwiftpower? can you 'splain? can you add to wiki?? 
  • Options
    Good idea @Scott Dinhofer
    Have you looked at the zwift racing thread.  I put a bunch of stuff in there but that last would be good to include if not in there
  • Options
    Good idea @Scott Dinhofer
    Have you looked at the zwift racing thread.  I put a bunch of stuff in there but that last would be good to include if not in there
    looked there, not, there... btw, I just posted there with what I did, not even sure I got it right, Zwiftpower is not the most intuitive site... 
  • Options
    I put a poll in the groupme for the Sunday ride.  .  If you are planning to ride Sunday morning, would you rather do 1) Road to Ruins - No KOMs or Sprints, but we will build via atomic clock 2) Watopia Figure 8 - .  If we do Road to Ruins, and you are not level 10, you will need to "Ride With Brian Hagan".  There are no sprints or KOMs in Road to Ruins, so we will go back to the atomic clock and slightly increase pace every 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Not to highjack this thread, but is anyone on here beta testing the Zwift on AppleTV?  I was trying to ride yesterday when my computer vapor locked.  Took 30+ min to reload and had to update iOS.  Long story short is I'd rather not get another computer for the basement pain cave, if ATV solves my problems--it would be far cheaper.  I have been reading things on their blog about the limited number of Bluetooth connections on the ATV which concern me (I would need BT for kickr, tickr, and cadence sensor...this I think exceeds the 3 allowable on ATV cuz remote takes one automatically).  If anyone is using this setup with the kickr successfully I'd love to know it works with little headache.
  • Options
    @“jeff Horn” I have not.  I do have the 4iiii HR strap. The unique thing about this is you can pair all of your devices to the 4iiii HR monitor and the HR monitor will transmit in either BT or ANT.  This way, you will only need to pair the HR strap to Apple TV.