Home General Training Discussions
Options

Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Zwift Always Be Pushing (ABP) Ride Instructions

Join Your Fellow Zwift Loving Teammates on GroupMe:
> Find or Organize Your Own Ride (Zwift Events) 
> Talk All Things Zwift & Cycling All Day (Zwift Chat)

Step 1: Zwift | Step 2: GroupMe | Step 3: Start to Ride | Step 4: Etiquette | Step 5: Tips & Tricks

What: Sunday ABP rides with your EN Teammates online.

When: Rides are on Sunday Morning; Wheels Up at 9am EST. We will start easy and build the effort over the first hour...then stick at your target effort as long as you can!

Where: Zwift.com

How: Connecting to Zwift.com and Chatting on GroupMe App (instructions below)

There are Three-Step Instructions:

• Setting up Zwift before the Sunday Ride

• Setting up Group Chat before the Sunday Ride

• Starting the Ride on Sunday

Step 1: Setting Up Zwift Before The Ride (Time: 15 minutes)

1) Make sure you have a Zwift account (www.zwift.com), software downloaded, everything paired and working ok.  If you are new to Zwift go here.

2) Update your last name so it looks like this:  McCrann TeamEN (B)   So this is  "your last name" plus TeamEN plus (your FTP category).  Please select a category (your FTP divided by your weight in KG).  this will help if we break into smaller groups. Directions on how to update your name are here.

(A) 4.0+ w/KG FTP   (B) 3.2 - 3.99 W/KG FTP   (C) 2.5 - 3.19 W/KG FTP    (D) 0 - 2.49 w/KG FTP  

3) Make sure your weight is accurate.  It is very important, because Zwift determines your speed based off your weight and power output.

4) Open Zwift on your PC/Laptop/Mac/Ios Device or however you Zwift

5) Pair your devices or press "Skip"

6) Click "Ride" - But don't start riding - this will allow you to edit your stuff.

7) Select "Menu" - if you have a smart trainer - you may want to go into settings and turn down the smart trainer setting.  It will make it easier to hold the goal watts.

8) Go into the user customization and select the "Basic 5 jersey" (which is black and red). If you can't do that, then choose the standard Zwift one. 

9) Make sure you select a ROAD BIKE.  There is drafting effects in Zwift, but tri bikes do not get the effect.  It will help everyone stay together if you select a road bike.

11) Save everything and back out and click "End Ride"

Step 2: Setting Up Group Chat

The GroupMe is where we will “Chat” during the ride on our Smartphones.  This just makes the ride fun...until it gets too hard, and then it’s more riding than texting (hour two, etc).

1) You can join the group directly via this link: https://groupme.com/join_group/29902223/JHEyw3  

If you have problems with joining the group, please post to this thread and we’ll help you out.

Step 3: Starting & Riding on Sunday

Just Like Any Ride - Get everything paired and calibrated, tires pumped, fluids filled, grab a towel and have the fan ready to go by 8:55 AM EDT.  You just need to wait.

1) For course, select "London 8"

This is super important..if you select a different course, you won’t stay with us. Note this changes every month, but for now this is what we roll with.

2) Soft pedal up to the start banner and form a bunch to start together.

You can view names in the Right Sidebar (look for that TeamEN last name!).

3) At 9am EST, start pedaling!

4) Follow the incremental pacing guidance.

Since everyone will have a separate goal watts for their ABP (Zone 3) Ride, this is what we’ll do so we all start together:

•  0’ to 15’ @ 2.0 W/KG

• 15’ to 30’ @ 2.3 W/KG

• 30’ to 45’ @ 2.6 W/KG

• 45’ to 60’ @ 2.9 W/KG

• 60’ and Beyond...your choice of W/kg as determined by the group and texting!

Please Note: You will stop increasing when you reach your goal ABP / Zone3 W/KG.  For me, it is around 3 W/KG.  If we roll it out this way, groups will form at each level depending on how many people show up.

Riding Etiquette

• Don’t worry so much about your Watts per kilo under your name on the right sidebar.

• The leader at any given point (in the front of the pack) should pay attention, otherwise, your job is to stay in the group.

• W/kg rules for all elements of terrain until the 60’ mark.

Additional User Tips

• Camera Angles...you can view the ride from different perspectives.

• 1 – Default 6 O’clock view

• 2 – Third person view

• 3 – First person shooter perspective

• 4 – To the side front-Left of the rider – Good for a jersey shot

• 5 – Rear view from the right of the rear wheel – Excellent action shot

• 6 – Head on to the rider

• 7 – Spectator view

• 8 – Helicopter view – and sound effects

• 9 – Birds eye view

• 0 – Maintains camera lock to a rider

• You can use the Zwift Mobile App to follow your friends in Zwift.  I dropped out and had to rejoin the group.  Since I follow a number of you guys in the Zwift Mobile Link, I was able to restart Zwift and choose "Ride with Patrick McCrann" and rejoin the group.  

• You earn points and experience as you go, which unlocks new gear and cool stuff..but you only earn them by riding!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    The tech part is pretty much just like TrainerRoad: http://zwift.com/en/get-started/ First maybe create a team: http://zwiftblog.com/cycling-teams-on-zwift/ Then you can setup a group ride: http://zwiftblog.com/organize-group-ride/
  • Options
    Great idea!  I've used  zwift for my ABP rides in the past and would definitely do it this coming season.  If there is interest we might need multiple groups to accommodate starting times in different time zones (e.g. east coast, Midwest, west coast).
  • Options
    I use Zwift. I've never joined a group ride, though I've tried to ride with friends. I don't think it's difficult creating groups and scheduling rides. The hard part is communicating turns, effort, etc to stay together. You def want to pick a flat course, because effort on a hilly course will vary depending on whether you're riding an erg trainer or not. Also, if you're using a desktop or laptop, you'll still want the mobile app on your phone or tablet in order to read and send text messages to communicate with others in the group. I'd love to try this if we can get enough interest. I've got 6 weeks on the trainer before outdoor season starts.
  • Options
    I am on this tomorrow folks...I've never used it so I appreciate all the insight!!!
  • Options
    I love riding on Zwift. I do a lot of the races and some hard group rides to keep my effort level high.  The great thing on zwift is that there is drafting so you have to work to stay with a group.  If you drop off of the group you lose the drafting effects and you'll be left in the dust.  On the group rides there is a ride leader that rides at some specified watts/kg and everyone follows the leader. You can set up multiple pacers for different watts if you want. For races it's just like a race and you attempt to keep up with some group near your level.  I don't think it matters if you pick flat or hilly routes as you have to pay attention to the ride leader either way if it's a group ride.  Once you pick the route, the bikes automatically make the turns. No thinking involved. 
  • Options
    I am so happy you posted this, as I have been thinking of doing the same.  I ride Zwift all the time, and I see fellow ENers posting their Zwift rides on Strava as well.  There are a few good ways to set up a group ride.  1) Have everyone pick the same route when they log in 2) create a formal group ride.  3) Join a ride that is already scheduled.  #3 may be easiest until there is a lot of interest.

Here are some great reources:
    http://staminist.com/zwiftorg
    http://zwiftblog.com/  
    http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwift-user-manual-unofficial-running-updates/
    https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000440003-A-Guide-to-the-Zwift-HUD?section=200993429

How to Zwift on the cheap?  No smart trainer required!  Here is a good resource for that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0IDDmSStw&t=329s

One part that I have been struggling with; is that speed in Zwift is determined by W/KG.  Your ABP may be 3.5 W/KG, someone elses may be 2 W/KG.  If there is enough interest, we could have an "A" and "B" group, or something similar.

Anyway, I am in and happy to help organize.
  • Options
    I would try to join some rides! I recently built a dedicated Zwift computer and it is where I have been doing all of my riding. Another tip is to standardize on an in game jersey that all of us would wear to keep us organized.
  • Options
    I'd love to join as well.  My ABP on Zwift last weekend was somewhat painful without accompaniment.  The speed by w/kg that @Brian Hagan mentions could be a problem as well.
  • Options
    Team, okay, let's make this happen!!

I have spoken to a few of you, and can see your guidance...but I need your help as I can't do this on my own. 

1. I need someone to create the Team for Endurance Nation. I looked online at the resources, but there's no "create a Team" button.
    2. I need someone to create that first ride on a Sunday, for say 9am EST? I don't know what's the best time for all time zones...or we could do 8am and then LEFT COAST folks can show up at 6am there time? Can you do that with a ride?
    3. How do we all get the same jersey so we can play nice?
    4. I can create the forum announcement and push to the team...but ^this^ has to happen first!
    I am kind of looking at you @Brian Hagan But I don't want to make any assumptions...I am afraid if this remains on my plate for too long, we'll miss some weekends. 

Fingers crossed,

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2017 12:55PM
    Deleted my comments, since the instructions are up above (and written better).

• Options
    OKAY kids...instructions at the top for this upcoming Sunday...hope you can make it!!!
  • Options
    I love this and will definitely join a ride in the future!
  • Options
    Awesome!  One thing to clarify, we will not be using the event module.  See you all at the start a few minutes before 9:00 EDT.  Remember to chose London 8 as the course.
  • Options
    Awesome!   See y'all on Sunday!
  • Options
    Just did my first Zwift ride today....on the volcano loop...This is me checking out the MAGMA.

Then I decided to get after it for one loop.... 350 NP for 6:00...gotta be a new PB for me...

Very impressed thus far!  See you on Sunday and change your last name to have "TeamEN" in it please!!!  :sweat:
  • Options
    Damn.  I'm bummed.  I have done all my rides on Zwift for the entire winter (and most of last winter too).  Love it.  I would really like to do this but can't make it.  I hope we can do this again.  Most Sundays are open for me, this one is not.  Oh, well.  Have fun and enjoy London.  It would be great if others would integrate the Team EN into their name so we know who we are on a random day.
  • Options
    Nice work Patrick!  If you download the "Zwift Mobile Link" app, you can snap photos, make turns, text to others etc...  all from your smart phone.  https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205055065-Zwift-Mobile-Link
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick   6' @ 350 NP...not bad!!! Looks like the volcanoe wasn't the only thing heating up your ride.
  • Options
    350?! Awesome

I would totally do this, but taking kids on spring break ski trip. If you keep it going I will be the caboose
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - after analyzing your video I was able to note that the smoke in the clip is actually coming from your back tire.....not the volcano.....we might have visibility issues with you and Doug riding on Sunday....

@Brian Hagan - thanks for posting the dumb trainer information, I'm looking into it.

SS

• Options
    @Doug Johnson can't run like you...gotta ride...and it was only a 22' test. Couldn't help myself.

@Shaughn Simmons I almost "erupted" after the interval...yikes! :mrgreen:

@William Bejin - every Sunday is the idea!

@Doug Sutherland - we'll be here!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons - You can still pair your power meter, HR monitor etc...  I am not sure Zwift can calculate Watts at your level.....
  • Options
    Updated instructions to point to GroupMe app (no more Telegram). Link to join that group directly is here: https://app.groupme.com/join_group/29902223/JHEyw3 
  • Options
    Hello all, great to see this getting kicked off! Back from a long week of travel but will try to hook up with everyone this weekend....although there are some really fast cats in this thread so I fear I may be riding alone!
  • Options
    Hoping there will be a brief overview of the rules for group riding on Zwift as I am new to this:

1.  Are helmets optional?

2.  Can we pee on the bike?

3.  One or two piece kits.....i.e., shorts only?

.....etc.......

SS     :)
  • Options
    This week I have a seminar, but next week I am all in! This is great. I usually do my ABP on Zwift, no lights or cars make it much easier. 

@Shaughn Simmons - just from personal experience it turns out my husband gets really irritated if I pee on the bike trainer... ;):)

• Options
    I just joined Zwift so I can join tomorrows ride. How do I find the "London 8" coarse?
  • Options
    @markStahlkopf When you log in tomorrow, the course will be already set to London. There will be a dropdown box at the top offering you several routes on the London course, select London 8 from the list.  Today the course is Watopia, so you cannot see the London courses yet. 

• Options
    Converted my weight to KG and and I just on the boarder of group B and C, so I opted for C for the first ride tomorrow. Don't understand what I'm looking for for the 2.0 W/KG and each subsequent building interval. I ride a Wahoo Kickr, so I have power and know my power zones and FTP, but how does that relate to where I should stop increasing?
  • Options
    @Barbara Feinstein I am guessing that means your FTP is around 3.2. I would say 2.5 to 2.7 (80 to 85%) would be your Z3. You are at the high end, so I would say that most of the C groups would be around 2.5.  Zwift will show your total watts in the upper left corner of your screen, and you know your Zones, so you will know when to stop picking up pace.