Home General Training Discussions
Options

Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Comments

• Options
    Just switched bikes on the trainer, and noticed something interesting about power differences between Zwift and P1 pedals.  On my previous setup (a circa-2006 road/tri bike with 180 cranks), Zwift always showed a higher power number than the P1s

Now with my tri bike on the trainer, with 172.5 cranks, Zwift shows a lower power than the P1s.  The delta is about the same ... roughly 3%.  I never updated the Zwift settings for crank-arm length, so if the default is for 172.5 I can see how the readings were off on the bike with 180 cranks
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin I'm not sure I'm tracking this. Where does one set the crank-arm length for Zwift?

I assume you are comparing the power numbers shown on the Zwift screen when riding with numbers from the same source (P1s) on another device, such as a Garmin head unit. Is that what you are referring to when you say Zwift shows a different power number than the P1s? 
  • Options
    Paul - Zwift doesn’t need to calibrate with crank arms. If you are using the P1s as the power meter you need to go in via the PT app and adjust the crank arm lengths so the power will be accurate.

-Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    Yup, thanks ... should have wrote "never updated Garmin settings for crank-arm length".  The Garmin-to-P1 connection was set at 172.5, so the last 2 months with 180 cranks gave spurious results

And unfortunately, they were all on the high side.  Now I have to ride harder to beat all my 2018 peak numbers in TrainingPeaks
  • Options
    And here I was searching for a crank arm length in Zwift hoping my low power numbers were off

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, February 26, 2018, 8:36 PM, Jeremy Behler wrote:

|
    |
    Jeremy Behler commented on Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Paul - Zwift doesn’t need to calibrate with crank arms. If you are using the P1s as the power meter you need to go in via the PT app and adjust the crank arm lengths so the power will be accurate.

-Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin and @Daniel Ballin , My understanding is consistent with what others already shared, but I thought I would share my experience with this:

I emailed Zwift (or P1?) tech support about this a while ago & they said that if you change the crank arm length in a "display unit" (i.e., Garmin watch, Powertap phone app, Suunto, etc.), that Zwift should use the updated crank arm length (you cannot adjust crank arm length using Zwift directly).

I've used both a Garmin 935 and Powertap phone app with my P1s. I think I actually had to set crank arm length in both of them separately (suggesting that the P1s don't always communicate the stored & corrected crank arm length  to a new "display unit."), but Zwift does display power numbers that match either of these display units, suggesting Zwift did get it right without the ability to make any crank arm changes inside zwift.

P1's default crank arm length is 172.5, so you need to change this if your crank arm has a different length.
  • Options
    Just switched bikes on the trainer, and noticed something interesting about power differences between Zwift and P1 pedals.  On my previous setup (a circa-2006 road/tri bike with 180 cranks), Zwift always showed a higher power number than the P1s

Now with my tri bike on the trainer, with 172.5 cranks, Zwift shows a lower power than the P1s.  The delta is about the same ... roughly 3%.  I never updated the Zwift settings for crank-arm length, so if the default is for 172.5 I can see how the readings were off on the bike with 180 cranks
    How does one get crank arm length set in Zwift? when we set crank arm length, are we setting it on the P1s which then incorporate that in the power readings?
    is the only way to set them via your garmin/ Wahoo head unit?

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer , I tried to explain my understanding of this in the post just before yours. But yes, my understanding and experience suggests that you can NOT change the crank arm length in Zwift directly, but if you change it in your Garmin Zwift will use that corrected setting. I've never used a Wahoo, but I assume it would be the same in that case. I would make sure it is correctly set in all your head units/display devices (Wahoo, Garmin, etc.) and Zwift should follow their lead.
  • Options
    So what happens if I just hook up to my Kickr and don’t use my Garmin head unit. Sounds like Zwift just displays the power being sent out Bluetooth or ant+ from the power meter be it P1’s or Kickr,etc. I don’t think Zwift need a head unit in the mix to display power. 
  • Options
    @Dave Campbell , I have an old-fashioned trainer and just the P1s. So I'm not sure about your situation.
  • Options
    @Dave Campbell @Larry PetersI am almost positive you only need to do it once, and you can also do it from the app.  The memory in the P1 pedals will be set until something else tells it otherwise.  
  • Options
    Sweet, thanks @Brian Hagan , it seems to be working well for me so far. :)
  • Options
    Heads up to all you thread followers, thanks to @Jason Veith And @Alicia Chase  I have added the Half (L1, L2) and Full (L1, L2, L3) workouts to the respective sections of the Training Plan Central page (see Table of Contents on the right): http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx

L3 Half to follow soon...but please pass it on!
  • Options
    thank you so much! will be trying it out this afternoon. Took my tired eyes a minute to find the link -lol.
    Ed
  • Options
    Maybe this will help--
    http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx
    Scroll down the page a bit and click here:
  • Options
    Thank you All. I will be using this resource! 
  • Options
    Thanks Alicia - definitely that helps!  Maybe it was the picture of Coach Patrick that distracted me - LOL :wink:
  • Options
    @Alicia Chase and @Jason Veith

Techie Rock Stars  --- thank you!!  <3

• Options
    Super thanks to the rock stars @Alicia Chase  and @Jason Veith for creating the Zwift workouts just in time for me as I start the half 10 week countdown this week! First ride in the books.  Also cool that I was going 30mph at 130 watts - lol. 
  • Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you @Alicia Chase and @Jason Veith !! You guys rock!! I hope I get to see you guys at a race or camp one of these days! Either of you doing Steelhead 70.3 in August (it is an EN A-race)?
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2018 2:40PM
    Ok all of you Level3 HIM Rockstars!  You haven't been left out!! I just finished the level 3 Zwift workouts this morning and sent them along to @Coach Patrick .  

@Ed Baas  - Did the "comments" come up at the beginning of each block?  I tried something new and was wondering if it would work (or if anyone would catch it!!)

- Jason

• Options
    OK.....my last try at doing Zwift....I did the week trial, and it was fun - then frustrating, then OK.  What do folks do that like to listen to music or podcasts?  Although I enjoy the general banter back and forth on the weekend rides, I definitely need something other than zwift in my ear during the weekdays.  How is that done?
  • Options
    Bluetooth speaker (with subwoofer) in the pain cave.  I crank Pandora until I can't hear myself breathe anymore!
  • Options
    i use pandora also on my iphone - zwift is on ipad, and bose noise canceling ear buds. same effect as @Jason Veith

• Options
    @Jason Veith You live close to me :)
    Yes - I recall seeing a message at the start - but don't specifically remember the details. I think it was explaining the ride, no?
  • Options
    @Ed Baas  Yes.. just some pop-up messages that explain the block of work.   I'm glad it worked!   I was thinking about hiding in some hidden messages but wasn't sure that would be such a good idea!!
  • Options
    I listen to heavy breathing on Discord.......  and playlists I made on Amazon Music.  Also, I usually do a race, group ride or a wko.  Another trick I would do when I was doing long rides is setting time goals to complete Road to Ruins or Jungle Circuit.  Another good wko is to do FTP intervals up and down the epic climb.  

I tried podcasts, and can never keep my attention on them.  The only TV I can do is sports, because I can't keep my attention on a movie, especially if racing or doing a wko.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan  do you have a big flat screen TV to look at?
    thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    @Ed Baas  I have Zwift on a 40 inch (ish) flat screen.  It does not have cable connected to it, so If I watch anything, it is on the iPad.  Also, I run Zwift on my laptop and run an HDMI cord to the TV.  
  • Options
    One day I want to get this beast for the pain cave:

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

It is a single large 4k 40" monitor that can handle 4 inputs at once. Zwift now supports super wide displays so I would have Zwift extend across the top half of the screen. On the bottom left I would have my TiVo mini and one side (For TV or Netflix) and then perhaps Zwift GPS or something else on the bottom right.