Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

New Mallorca Tri Camp April 2018 - Pricing Update Published

Comments

• Options

Okay folks, long time no talk. Thank you for your patience as I have been working on finalizing the Mallorca Camp details for 2018. I know many of you want to book those cheap flights!

Since my initial announcement, I have made quite a few changes for the better, but this does mean a price increase. So please read through everything before you reply.

Dates: April 14th to the 20th, 2018 (8 days, 7 nights)

We expect you to arrive on Saturday the 14th to assemble your bike (or get fitted on a rented one) and settle in.

• Training commences on the morning of the 15th.

• Check out is on Saturday the 21st.

Lodging Confirmed

We will be staying at the SportHotel VillaConcha in Port de Pollensa. This place is the perfect mix of comfort and training accessibility, with a heated 25 m, six lane outdoor pool on the premises as well as a small bike shop and many others in the area.

Lodging includes a Breakfast and Dinner buffet; we’ll eat lunch while training or on your own. Bonus that the Hotel is super nice for the families / spouses as well and a short walk to beach and restaurants.

Here is a video of what it will be like, so you get a sense...

<a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiIfxuGVyY" title="Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiIfxuGVyY">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiIfxuGVyY</a>&nbsp;

<br>

Address: C/ Les Nanses 6

07470 Port de Pollensa

Tel: (34) 971865711

Fax: (34) 971865800

IMG_7410jpg

Training Support Confirmed

Mark and the team at Mallorca Cycling Tours will be supporting us for five days of riding. This means a planned route, with a SAG vehicle and four total guides -- Two for each of our two groups (one front, one back).  

The guides will have walkie talkies to communicate both front/back of the ride but also with the support vehicle. Our goal is make sure you only have to focus on training….and never have to change a flat tire (just get a new wheel like a PRO!).

Pricing Changes

After much consideration, I decided NOT to make this a "training camp on a budget" experience. Like you, I simply want to show up and train in paradise.

I made the executive decision to pick accommodations that were not only nice, but also fit our group lifestyle. And rather than go it alone, I picked one of the best groups on the island to make sure we have an incredible riding experience. Finally, given that everything on this trip will be in Euros I have adjusted the pricing accordingly to make sure finances work out properly.

All of these decisions meant adding money to the bottom line, but I believe it is for the best.

Final Cost Is $1,150 USD Per Athlete

• 8 days / 7 nights in a shared room with another camper

• Includes breakfast + dinner buffet combination

• PRO level support for our five days of riding (there will be one no-ride day!)

• Daily Pool access for training

This works out to be about $145 a day for each athlete...and doesn’t include the SWAG another other cool stuff we’ll have.

Want a Single Room OR It’s You + Your Spouse? If you want your own room, or are the only athlete with your spouse -- we won’t charge for the SAG support but we will include the food. The price for this is an additional $500, or $1,650 for the 8 days.

PLEASE NOTE

1) If you want a refund on your $250 camp deposit, I am happy to issue it through September 1st. You can email us here with that request.

2) If you want to change your lodging from single to double to offset some of the cost, or change your accommodations anyway, we can also make that happen. Again, please email us here with the change that you desire.

Thank you for being a part of the inaugural year of this special camp, and giving me time to work out the kinks. My hope is that our fearless mission will help make this a camp part of oar annual camp series. Also as camp approaches please don’t hesitate to let me know any suggestions you have.

I am really excited to make this camp a success. You are all more than EN Members, you are my friends. I look forward to making some incredible memories with each of you next year!

~ Coach P

• Options
    I am super excited for this and I personally find the pricing to be quite reasonable (especially after just booking rooms for lake placid 2018)
    Still in and stoked for an awesome week!!!!
  • Options
    I will be adding some notes, based on my 7 years of experience of riding/training there, regarding bike transport (if you bring your own), bike rentals (if you don't want to bring your own) and the most important stuff - eating and drinking spots!
  • Options
    At some point we all need to declare if interested in a roomie, or a single, or bringing a spouse.. 
    I'm coming hawaiian style - alone-ah - open to a roomie.. 

• Options
    At some point we all need to declare if interested in a roomie, or a single, or bringing a spouse.. 

Jill have enough of our kind in Placid?
  • Options

I think actually you and Jill bonded, now some of the others... I take the 5th... 
  • Options
    I am going to have to hammer out the travel logistics from my small corner of the world, but at this point would be interested in sharing a room if someone wishes to put up with me for a week. 
  • Options
    P, With the new accommodations having a pool, are you going to skip the ocean swims? Skipping the wetsuit will cut down on the weight for luggage.
  • Options
    BA has flights from JFK to PMI, through Madrid, for less than $600. About one night's lodging in Placid, way less than an IM entry. Too bad I live in Charlotte, where the current bargain hovers around $1,400. 
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2017 12:46PM
    BA has flights from JFK to PMI, through Madrid, for less than $600. About one night's lodging in Placid, way less than an IM entry. Too bad I live in Charlotte, where the current bargain hovers around $1,400. 
    Wow, that is excellent pricing out of JFK!  @Scott Dinhofer crashing at your house the day before so I can fly out of JFK if the tickets out of D.C. stays around $1k
  • Options

I think actually you and Jill bonded, now some of the others... I take the 5th... 
    We did!  Hopefully our conversation(s) helped make the experience a little bit more tolerable for her :)
  • Options
    Cheryl and I talked this thru last night on our tandem ride after she got home me from CA. We're on board for a pre-camp tour out of Barcelona- that would probably be on our birthdays which are April 9&11. The pool, bike rentals, and venue all help ease her time at the camp. I'm hoping that her taking the leap induces other spouses to come along! Scott, Juan ...?
  • Options
    FYI I decided to race 70.3 MARBELLA the week after the Camp. Anybody cares to join me???? As I said in the Facebook group .... lets all race and call it an EN KEY RACE!!!
  • Options
    Wow, that is excellent pricing out of JFK!  @Scott Dinhofer crashing at your house the day before so I can fly out of JFK if the tickets out of D.C. stays around $1k
    if we can get a bunch of people on that flight, i have plenty of room and a great private van service!
  • Options
    So...how do you book a stop over? Do you have to call the airline to make that happen? Family might want to hit MAD on the way back....
  • Options
    P, sorry I just saw this.  I've done it a bunch of times for Europe trips.  On Travelocity, Expedia, etc., just select the "multi-city" tab instead of "one-way" or "round-trip."  So, for Mallorca, e.g., you could fly on 4/13 from BOS to PMI, on 4/20 from PMI to MAD and then on 4/22 MAD to BOS.  If you're patient, you can usually find flights that are close in price to the round-trip option.  If adding that leg makes it crazy expensive, consider omitting the intra-Europe flight(s) and find a flight on one of Europe's discount carriers (I flew from Frankfurt to Rome for $30).  If you do that, then just make your transatlantic flight search BOS to PMI and return MAD to BOS.
  • Options
    Posted a pre camp Barcelona thread here 
  • Options
    Scott, thanks for taking the lead on this. My GF and I are interested in a pre-camp tour of Barcelona. Please include us in the planning. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2017 5:45PM
    Scott, thanks for taking the lead on this. My GF and I are interested in a pre-camp tour of Barcelona. Please include us in the planning. Thanks
    @Dave Campbell please go to the thread linked above in my post and answer the info. thanks!
    https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23609/mallorca-pre-camp-barcelona-thread

• Options
    @Coach Patrick - Please change my lodging to a double. My spouse is not attending. Thanks.
  • Options
    question for all
    for saturday departure, my understanding is that we should book our mainland to PMI and return to mainland fair separately from our US to Madrid or Barcelona Airfare. 
    Question is on what time flights we should be booking to leave PMI on Saturday assuming morning, but not early with a 2 hr drive to PMI from hotel?
  • Options
    Scott Dinhofer said:
    question for all
    for saturday departure, my understanding is that we should book our mainland to PMI and return to mainland fair separately from our US to Madrid or Barcelona Airfare. 
    Question is on what time flights we should be booking to leave PMI on Saturday assuming morning, but not early with a 2 hr drive to PMI from hotel?
    In my experience in/out of Palma, flying on American/Iberia, the usual flights out are at 6:45am or in that window. No way to avoid it unless you want to spend extra time on the European mainland.

I haven't even began to look at flights yet. I don't yet know if I'll be able to do the extra days in Barcelona with y'all, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2017 11:43PM
    For what it's worth, I arrive in PMI on Sat on the popular 12:45pm flight from MAD, leave a week later on Sat on the 6:45am flight from PMI to MAD. Happy to share a cab at 3:00am with anyone who can wake that early/roll straight out of a wine cafe. I'm booked. This is happening with or without you. 
  • Options
    I am booking flights with miles to barcleona and from Madrid back. 
    @Mike Roberts - looks like I will be with you in the 645 AM cab as that will allow me on the earlier flight back from Madrid. 
    @Scott Alexander - if i book Iberia even as seperate bookings for the PMI-mainland flights, I am assuming I can check luggage all the way through to JFK at PMI? or do i need to allow enough time to claim luggage & re-check?
  • Options
    I am booking flights with miles to barcleona and from Madrid back. 
    @Mike Roberts - looks like I will be with you in the 645 AM cab as that will allow me on the earlier flight back from Madrid. 
    @Scott Alexander - if i book Iberia even as seperate bookings for the PMI-mainland flights, I am assuming I can check luggage all the way through to JFK at PMI? or do i need to allow enough time to claim luggage & re-check?
    For PMI->MAD (or elsewhere)->JFK, you should be able to book straight through. I'd say ONLY if it's on one itinerary.

If there's anything more than 6 hours between wherever you go after PMI, and when you leave that connecting city to get to JFK, you'll probably have to reclaim and recheck, unfortunately. They definitely don't like to keep luggage for you that long. It'll def increase your chance of it getting "lost" IMO.

• Options
    I used points to upgrade my pond hop, so I'm on Delta for the long stuff. From PMI, I'm taking the 6:45am Iberia flight on a separate rez. Iberia operates out of Terminal 4 in Madrid. Which is a pretty long bus ride to Terminals 1-3. Delta is in 1, of course.  Because PMI-MAD is domestic, probably no immigration control, but maybe customs. But I'm on two different itineraries, so I would almost certainly have to retrieve checked baggage, go through customs, change terminal, etc. Because I only have 2.5-hr layover, I'll probably just carry-on. Figure I only need two kits, a windbreaker, pair of jeans, three shirts and a speedo. Wash mid-week, buy anything I need, trash anything I don't. I've done carry-on-only in multi-week trips to Europe, Asia and New Zealand, and the only ones who notice the repeat outfits are your companions and anyone following you on Facebook. Rent a bike from any one of the dozen rental companies in Mallorca.

If you're bringing a bike and/or checking luggage, I would try to book a single codeshare itinerary on AA/Iberia. Both should be out of T4, luggage should check all the way through to JFK/EWR. Should. 

2.5 hours sounds like a lot for a layover, and often times it is.  But I've stood in line for many hours trying to make connections in first-world airports (Lisbon, Rome, Bangkok), second-world airports (Managua, Los Angeles) and third-world airports (Miami). Plan for the worst, hope for the best, roll with whatever. 
  • Options
    ugghh....i hate reading all of these as I have come to accept that Mallorca will not be in the cards for me.   I signed up for IMLP on a bit of a whim and then realized between that race and protecting for a Kona trip in October I run out of time available for epic adventures.    

Every cloud has a silver lining, and this one means the wait list gets one person shorter.

I plan to shut off all social media that week so I don't hate you all and myself for missing the inaugural event.  
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2017 3:27PM
    I booked my flights yesterday. I'll be at PMI Saturday morning around 8:50 am. My wife is going to join me at the end of the camp.
  • Options
    Coach P, I need to switch from a single to a double, if I get a spot on the trip.  Last I heard I was on the wait-list.  Can you confirm if I have a spot or am still on the wait-list?  Thanks!
  • Options
    ugghh....i hate reading all of these as I have come to accept that Mallorca will not be in the cards for me.   I signed up for IMLP on a bit of a whim and then realized between that race and protecting for a Kona trip in October I run out of time available for epic adventures.    

Every cloud has a silver lining, and this one means the wait list gets one person shorter.

I plan to shut off all social media that week so I don't hate you all and myself for missing the inaugural event.  
     :(