Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Derrek's Micro Thread

123457»

Comments

• @Coach Patrick - A quick update. Bottom line first, I'm looking forward to racing IMFL. Just finished week 16 and training has been going well...better than expected but as you said, the fitness is there, just had to turn it back on. Based on my last Red Mist swim, I think my swim is back to previous fitness levels (or I was in a fast pool) LOL. The bike is coming along too with Vo2 max workouts and I recently started doing FTP type workouts. Long rides on Sat and/or Sun. I've been running 5-6 days a week and progressed from 28 to 46 mpw. Run seems to be solid. Overall, I'm managing fatigue well.

Can you help me rearrange my Week 18/RR #2? I'll be out of town from Noon Friday to Noon Sunday, but will be able to run and swim on Saturday.

The original week looks like:

Mon: Swim

Tues VO2 run/ Red Mist

Wed: FTP Bike

Thurs: 2 hr run

Fri: 1 hr bike/Swim RR

Sat: Bike Race Sim / Brick Run

Sun: 3.5 hr Bike

I was thinking about moving some workouts two days to the left:

Mon: Same

Tues Same

Wed: Same

Thurs: Bike Race Sim / Brick Run

Fri: 3.5 hr Bike on the trainer (in the AM before my flight)

Sat: 2 hr run

Sun: Swim RR

My concern with this plan (which might be ok) is Wed's workout before the race sim.

Is there a better way to shuffle things around or other changes?

Thank you.

• @Coach Patrick

I'm sure you heard the Tokyo Marathon was cancelled. It was a blessing is disguised for me. I was following the Balanced Marathon Plan since December but started having a piriformis/sciatica/bulging disk issue the beginning of January. I've cut way back on the running (1-3 runs/week at Z1+60 to 90" for 2-4 miles). Now it seems like the piriformis is better but when I run or sit for more than 30 mins I still get a dull nerve pain that starts in my right posterior hip and runs down my posterior leg to my knee. So the cancelled marathon didn't bother me at all!

I've been working with a couple sports PTs the last 3 weeks and I have a back extension routine that relieves the symptoms (they say that's a very good sign). The PT says my running is aggravating the nerve due to a slight dropped hip caused by glutes not firing. My glutes are strong but not firing enough to keep my hips level. They gave me exercises this week to help fix it. Also, I've started doing (attempting) the 7-way hips routine (I remember you talking about this).

The good news is biking and swimming doesn't cause any symptoms. I'm been trying to get in 3-4 rides a week and 3-4 swims. I've also just started strength training.

This post was going to be about IM race selection, but now I'm hesitant to sign up for any races until I start seeing good progress with pain free running. But not having any races on the calendar makes it hard to stick to structured training. I'm thinking about dropping into a HIM or IM plan to be bike race ready and run as I can. What are your thoughts?

• Thanks for the update. I was wondering what was going on considering the cancellation. Hard to believe that the last time we talked about the race you had 12 weeks to go! Time just flies, doesn't it? I agree that it's very encouraging that you have a reduction in pain when you follow the protocols.

In addition to doing some of that self-care, we may need to modify your right approach over the short term to give your body enough time to recover from the "cost" of running. In other words, we may need to un-streak-ify your running for a little while.

In terms of training I think something like a half iron, or a half iron relay will be a great option. I would encourage you to explore the latter if there's anyone you know who wants to do the run portion and you can really bury your self on the bike.

Maybe you could cook up another "by camp" like you did a few years back with Señor Croucher? I know he has had surgery, but just a suggestion that getting out and exploring your bike for extended period of time might be a nice break from additional training and a good boost for your fitness.

I appreciate that you needed to vent to be your beacon and I'm confident there are a couple different ways we can solve it. If the comments above are helpful, go ahead and schedule a call with me and you and I can talk about this on the phone in my next time slot: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• @Coach Patrick - Yes, time flies! Thanks for your insight and suggestions. Yes, the comments are very helpful and I'll schedule a call. A relay sounds fun. I've never done a relay.

It it wasn't for the Tokyo Marathon, I would be part of all the IMSG "fun" and probably not injured. 😂Looking back at my monthly running volume, it's obvious that I increased mileage way too fast in Dec.

Sept - 145 miles; Oct - 151 miles; Nov - 66 miles (IMFL); Dec - 189 miles; Jan - 23 miles (injury started); Feb - 33 miles.

Thanks!

• @Derrek Sanks OMG. That's a 25% increase off of your biggest month PRE IMFL. Brutal..but you now you know. Time to set some caps on the run mileage area unless everything is perfect for you to SAFELY go longer / further In a short time frame.

• Great call today, thanks for your time!

For plans I recommend the following, let us know if you need help setting it up:

• On 3/9/2020  Load the    EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 4/5/2020 [do 3 weeks]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 3/30/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 06/07/2020 [last 10 weeks of the plan]
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/21/2020

Flossing Videos-- here are two options

• Sitting...

Lying Down:

Your Homework:

1. The weight routine...Please give me some quick bullets on what you do in the gym so I can see if there is some version we can do when it's busy up in the club 🤣
    2. The new "run" limits...what would you say Is the "one rule" you would use going forward to stay safe.
  • @Coach Patrick

Thank you for the call today and the above information. I'll add those flossing stretches in my daily routine.

My strength training is only 3 weeks in the making and here's what I do. I have three groupings or "days", Legs, Chest/Triceps and Back/Biceps. Each week I try to do 2 legs days and 1 each other the other 2. It looks something like Monday: Legs and Back/Biceps; Wednesday: Chest/Triceps and Friday: Legs

Legs: squat, leg press, leg press with narrow stance, Lying Leg Curls, calf raises

Back/Biceps: dead lift, row, pull ups, shrug, preacher curl, dumbbell curl

Chest/Triceps: bench press, incline bench press, shoulder press, lateral arm raise, triceps pull down

Regarding my run limit rule, out season/general training: cap weekly run volume at 32 miles. If training for a marathon, strict adherence to a 10% increase in weekly volume.

Again thank you for all you do.

• @Coach Patrick

I wanted to give you an update since the Best Bike Camp. I'm mostly following the weekly workout schedule from the Camp. This is week 2 and also DIY Tri week too, which means I'll modify this week's schedule. Below are my VO2Max key workouts and planned progression. Please let me know your thoughts. At Matt's recommendation, my VO2 short progression is based on the fact that V02 short workouts being relatively easy for me and VO2 long being much, much harder. Also, I jumped to more advanced VO2 workouts as I've done many short and long efforts this year. I'll do a VLaMax workout with low cadence Saturdays and FatMax ride Sundays. I'm finding it manageable to hold 85% to 95% of FTP at 55 RPM to 70 RPM for 4x15' and 3x20' min intervals (two recent workouts)

Also, I'm finally over my running injuries (knocking on wood) and have 6 weeks of consistent running (4-5x a week). Weekly mileage for the past 7 weeks: 14, 20, 20, 25, 30, 35, 25 and this week will be ~25. Starting next week, I plan to add strides to shorter runs 2x a week and a weekly MP tempo run starting with 2 miles at tempo and gradually progressing in distance. I want to stay away from Z3/Z4 efforts for another 6-8 weeks as I rebuild my running base.

Week 1: Short - 3 sets of 12x 30/30 (6') at top VO2Max range **manageable/above power targets

Long - 2 sets of 3 x 3'/3' at bottom VO2Max range **very very hard (watts were between bottom and target range)

Week 2: 3 sets of 5 x 1'/1' (8') at top VO2Max range ** manageable/above power targets

2 sets of 3 x 3'/3' (repeat last week's VO2 Long)

Week 3: 3 sets of 7 x 1'/1'

2 sets of 2 x 4'/4'

Week 4: 3 sets of 5 x 90"/90"

4 x 4'/4'

Week 5: 3 sets of 3 x 2.5'/2.5'

2 sets of 3 x 4'/4'

Week 6: 3 sets of 3 x 2.5'/2.5'

2 sets of 4 x 3'/3'

End of Block 1

Thanks!

• @Derrek Sanks - you continue the onward progression! I'm so excited for you. I think you're being really intentional about the run and that is absolutely the way to go. Honestly I will try and keep that weekly mileage somewhere between 20 and 25 miles right now for a few weeks as you add in the Marathon piecework. In other words, we can't beat a 25 mile per week average and add more intensity and add more time let's pick one. At least for 2 to 3 weeks. So I say add the intensity but keep the run mileage for the week roughly the same and let's see how you respond.

Of course, I'm even more excited to see what your potential is on the bike. I do recall that you were better with a shorter stuff, and I like how the progression you have your bills you from shorter intervals we are successful and slowly extending them overtime to match what you'll do when that second long video to session. That will definitely lead you to a place of much stress and fatigue in those last few weeks.

In taking a look at your workouts for those longer intervals, it's interesting for me to see how your cadence changes. The shorter faster ones have you Cember between 95 and 100 on average. Those longer intervals have you Cember between 85 and 90 on average. I think part of cracking the code on those longer intervals it's becoming more comfortable with a slightly higher cadence. One of the ways I suggest to do that is to break that three minute interval into one minute and two minutes. Hit your watts for a minute at 95 rpms...then shift one harder and close it out at your more "typical" long VO2 cadence. I'd like to hear what you think of that.

Also, how do you feel exiting the week with a FatMax ride? What does Monday feel like for you?

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick

Thanks for your feedback! Totally agree with keeping weekly mileage at 20 - 25 while adding MP intensity. Makes perfect sense.

The FatMax rides leave me depleated and with a big appetite the next day. I make Mondays an easy day with a swim and/or short easy run. For my last 2 hr FatMax ride, I ran 4 miles before the ride to deplete glycogen stores. Plus I get a better quality run than running after the ride.

Yes, I'm able to maintain a 95-100 RPM cadance on 15"-30"-60" intervals but on 3' intervals I drop cadance after the first 60"-70", almost like clockwork. I feel like I get tired from a high HR but not muscularally, so I drop to a harder gear/lower cadance which lowers my HR but after a minute or so my muscles start to fatigue as I struggle through the last 30 seconds. LOL. I've oftened wondered if the high cadance causes mental or perceived fatigue after a 1-2 minutes? I definitely understand the benefits of a higher cadance for VO2 efforts. I'll make it a point to start focusing on extending a high cadance longer and longer before dropping to a harder gear. Thanks for that strategy.

I've been thinking about doing a FTP test. Do you think I should do an INSCYD retest at the end of the 6 week block or maybe just do a FTP test or retest at the end of the second 6 week block?

• @Derrek Sanks - You are clearly on the fast track for fat max with your big ride yesterday. I think you're defaulting into a good space there and we want to keep that up. It's a great complement to the other work that you're doing. It's one of those sneaky sessions that doesn't feel like it's work, but it is working!

I think we need to find a way to crack the code on those intervals. Do you have strength and the ability to succeed there, but it's building out some fluency of skills in that area. If you tell me that right now you dropped after a minute of high cadence, then let's try something a little different. Here are some other options for you to test out that could help.

• First, keep cadence at 70 or above. That's the floor.
    • Second, don't worry about the accuracy of watts...just the "end of 3'" Normalized. Variations are ok.

Option 1: 3' interval as 30" @ 95rpms...60" @ 70rpms...60" @ 90 rpms...30" at 70 rpms.

Option 2: 3' as 1.5' @ 80 rpms, 1' @ 85 rpms, 30" at 95 @ rpms.

Honestly, I'd be super interested to see how staggering the cadence distribution could lead to potentially better interval wattage. But we won't know until we try.

• @Coach Patrick

The VO2 Long workout went much better today. I repeated last week's 2x (3 x 3'/3'). This was my third week doing this workout and I've graduated to the next progression. LOL. I averaged about 7 watts under my VO2 Target watts (324) but my goal was to be above my lower range (309 watts). The first two time I did this workout my average watts were ~300 to ~310. By the way, I use resistance mode and not ERG on structured workouts.

I used option 1 for the first 3 intervals and option 2 for the last 3. Tough to say which option worked better. I couldn't really find a gear to hold power at 95 rpm. I was at 97-100 rpm with watts below 290, but the next harder gear I could maintain low 90s and hit target watts. I think the key is to change cadence every 45 to 90 seconds, between 80 and 95 rpm?

Also, the other changed I made was that I did this workout on Tuesday instead of Thursday. Now, I'll have to see how my VO2 short workout goes.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will continue with these options and try to extend the time at 90-95 rpm. Hopefully we've cracked the code.

• @Derrek Sanks thanks for trying my approach to the cadence! I typically find this intentional progression is key for the early part of the OS, as our fitness is low but on the move. We need to challenge ourselves to find watts in other areas that are out of our comfort zone. I love the idea of working through a range...effective for le watts AND a great way to mentally break things up! 👍

Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick -

A couple questions and a couple updates.

My schedule has VO2 Short on Tuesday and VO2 Long on Thursday. Does it matter if I reverse the order?

Also, is there any downside to getting two rest/recovery days between the two VO2 workouts? Tuesday's workout (whether long or short) goes much better than Thursday's workout, which has me thinking I need an extra rest/recovery day between Vo2 short and VO2 Long. If recommended, what is a good schedule to get 2 recovery days between VO2 workouts and still get in 2 other workouts?

I've signed up for IM Tulsa, May 23, 2021. I'll submit a season plan as this will help layout a solid training plan. If I remain injury free, I'm planning to go for a KQ.

I'm also planning to run a marathon in mid-November. I'm sure you're asking why in the world would I do that. LOL. The main/only reason is to keep my marathon streak alive. I've completed at least one marathon (either open or part of an IM) every year since 2008 and COVID has screwed up 2020. Remember the marathon I did in Afghanistan running a bunch of .6 mile loops around our compound? Same reason. LOL. I'm planning to just complete it at Z1 to TRP pace and not race it.

I had a good sign of improved bike fitness last weekend. I did a century ride at .82 IF and 205 NP. By the way, I bumped up my FTP from 239 (INSYD test) to 250 watts. Otherwise my IF would have been .86, which I don't believe is feasible. In the first 90 mins, I did 8x10' (3') at .88 to .93 IF at 55-70 cadence. I made 4 short stops at the rest stops but that's the hardest I've ever gone in a 100 mile ride.

• @Derrek Sanks - Hey no worries...keep the questions coming!

1. You can totally reverse the VO2 days as you see fit. Call goal remains being able to put up consistently strong weeks, if that change in order of workouts makes a difference, let's roll with it.
    2. Hmmm...We went to full days, I might try and organize 48 hours. For example, if you do work at one on Tuesday morning then you could potentially do work out to on Thursday night. That would be 60 hours of rest vs 48hours (tue am to thu am). Another sneaky alternative could be to work out on Monday Night and Thursday night....that would be 72 hours between VO2. Sunday AM ride to Monday Night Ride gets you 36 hours...could be ok. Really depends on how you absorb each session. Do you have a "hack" preference?
    3. Excellent...fingers crossed for tulsa!!
    4. I am fine with you doing the marathon, as long as we do it smart. Good pacing and plenty of recovery.
    5. HUGE RIDE!!! That's epic...the work is definitely paying off. Not too shabby to have a long ride breakthrough in a non race year!! 👍

~ Coach P

• Hey @Coach Patrick

I'll do the Tues AM and Thurs PM hack. I've been avoiding hard efforts in the evening because it leaves me wired for the next 5-6 hours making for late nights, but I think that hack will work out.

This is week 6 of my first training Block. I might make next week a lighter/recovery week and then start Block 2 or I'll just roll right into Block 2. Anyway, I'll be ready to re-test at the end of Block 2.

Thanks!

• @Derrek Sanks - Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is:

IM Tulsa [IM] (May)

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is:

TBD

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is:

TBD

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 09/24/2020

• Finish BestBike on 11/8...
    • Re-Test Week of 11/9 as you start Marathon Taper
    • Taper / Race via Marathon Plan to end on 11/22
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks)  to end on  12/6/2020  13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 12/7/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on  3/14/2021  97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 2/15/2021  Load the  -- Swim Camp  to end on  2/28/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 3/1/2021  Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused, 12wks to end on  5/23/2021  83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 5/24/2021  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  6/20/2021  27 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History:

Completed 7 IMs with the first one in 2014 and 10 HMs.

What is Your Focus Level for this Season?

Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season:

Injury free training at a level to have the potential to qualify for Kona.

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success?

Over training

Anything Else We Should Know?  

I'm in week 6 of 12 from Best Bike Split Camp.

I'm doing a marathon Nov 22, 2020. Goal is to finish under 4 hrs.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick

Thanks for the Roadmap and video. Everything looks good.

Derrek

• @Derrek Sanks Great!!! Hey, I had some questions about Skyline as we are tentatively planing a mini-camp there. You free to maybe answer some email questions or jump on a call with me / @Emily Brinkley about that?

• @Coach Patrick Absolutely, either works for me. I'm free after 5:00 today for a call. Please text as I don't monitor email all the time. Thanks. 719-650-4770.

• @Derrek Sanks - sorry I missed this earlier. But no worries! I am on it now and we can connect this week. You are on my list.

• Hey @Coach Patrick

Just checking in. I'm just completed my second 6 week block of Best Bike Camp training plan and I'm planning to retest this week. Should I use the same two Zwift testing workouts from the first Camp testing? What's the process?

The second 6 week block called for VO2 Long on Tuesdays, Lactate shuttle on Thursdays, VLaMax on Saturdays and a shorter VLaMax on Sundays. Due to marathon training, I did my long run on Saturdays and a 1.5 - 2hr VLaMax workout on Sunday.

Here's what actually happened: (T, TH, Sun)

Wk1: VO2 Long 4.1, LS 3.1, VLaMax 4.2

Wk2: VO2 Long 4.2, LS 3.3, VLaMax 4.3

Wk3: Zwift race, LS 3.1Primed, VLaMax 5.1

Wk4: Race, LS 3.2Primed, VLaMax 5.2

Wk5: Race, LS 3.3Primed, VLaMax 6.3

Wk6: Race, LS 3.3Primed, VLaMax 6.3

I've been doing 3 bike workouts a week, which is down from 4/week in the first 6 week block. Based on my Zwift racing, I've noticed an improvement in my overall bike fitness. I hope the testing verifies it.

I'm also tapering for the Richmond Marathon on Nov 21. Running has been going very well.

Two weeks after the marathon I'll start the OS, which I think aligns with the December OS start. I'll keep my runs short and easy during the first 4 weeks of the OS.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, wanted to talk about or send questions to me about Skyline drive regarding a mini bike camp. Let me know what works best for you.

Thanks!

• @Derrek Sanks - thanks for this update...I think we passed some of this information online, so we are good. You are retested and we haz data to review.

I know that you were taping for the marathon, which likely means that you were going completely crazy right now with extra energy. Must be nice to have that feeling again! A DEC OS start is perfect; Can use those two weeks to make sure that the training is lined up the way that we want based off of your results.

In regards to the skyline camp, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of getting people into the park. We did it years ago, but I know that you have to pay. I just don't know if you are riding on your bike if you still need to pay or if there's a way to buy access for a group by pre-purchasing or if that's a red flag for the Rangers? How does that normally work?

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick

Cyclists still have to pay ($15) to enter Skyline and it's good for 7 days. Just recently started, all U.S. armed service veterans are granted free access. Passes can be purchased in advance on-line. Depending on the number of people or if wanting to lower the fee, another option is using vehicles. Vehicle fee is $30 for 7 days for a private noncommercial vehicle with less than 15 person capacity.

Another consideration is opening the road after Winter. When I went in mid April the entire Skyline road was closed to cars due to winter debris still on the road (tree branches/limbs/etc.). Bonus that we didn't have to pay the entrance fee. The park service was in the process clearing the debris. Cyclist were allowed to ride (at least no one stop us or the other cyclists we saw). However, all the country stores/lodges were closed which meant we had to carry all our hydration/fueling. It was nice not having any cars on the road but you had to navigate the occasional downed tree limb. Fortunately, the roads were swept and very good for riding. I think if we went there 1-3 weeks earlier, there might have been a lot of small debris (twigs/small branches, tree bark, etc.) spread across the roads.

I hope this helps!

• @Derrek Sanks - thank you for passing this along! This is super helpful. We are thinking sometime in May so things should be rolling along. And if people can order that pass ahead of time that's a win. I'm not sure the best way to proceed with managing a group versus individuals, but it's nice to know that there's some flexibility in there. IIRC, there have never really been too many stores and places to eat on that end of the parkway. We will have to figure it out!