Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

Coach Patrick

My revenge protocol period is over (today's Sunday, and I'm off.), and I'm getting back into the normal plan from tomorrow. What I did this week is as follows:

Mon: Swim 60min@drills

Tue: Run 50min@zone 1 / Swim 70min@intervals as in the list

Wed: Bike 60min (2 x 10min@easy spin for WU/CD, 40min@zone1-2)

Thu: Run 50min@zone 1 (same as Tuesday)

Fri: Swim 70min (same as Tuesday)

Sat: Bike 250min@zone 2 smooth ride on the hills / Swim 60min@drills

Sun (today): OFF

So I would like to have your guidance about my training from this week on. What I am concerned about is the volume of training. I'm thinking of dialing down the long run on Wednesday according to how I am tired or the temperature. For example this week I am to do 3 x (10' @ z1/LRP/Easy, 30' @ z2/MP/Steady), but I want to cut them down to 2 sets. Is this OK, or do you have any other ideas?

Second, I am to do RR on Saturday, but is it safe to do this just after getting back from the revenge protocol? I think doing RR itself will be no problem, and I will be able to get it done, but am afraid of getting too tired from this as I'm not fully prepared for it. Can I put it off to the final RR day?

I'm asking these questions as this is the first time for me to do the process of  "Revenge Protocol" --> "(shortened) Normal Plan."

Thanks!

• Options
    I think that your decision here was a good one. The break between the revenge protocol and normal training will certainly pay dividends on race day. The reentry process should be pretty easy, and I agree with the focus on changing the longer workouts. My personal preference, however, is to shorten those workouts but keep the intensity there.

In other words, For the run on the schedule I would rather see you cut it down to 75 min and most of the run at or above race pace. remember, you already have the volume in your system. So the focus can shift from doing cumulative work, to doing race specific work. In this race specific work will allow you to focus on nutrition and targeted fitness without overdoing the fatigue.

A simple a way of doing this, would be to split your run into 3 parts. The 1st 3rd is your warm-up. The 2nd 3rd is your steady running, mostly zone two effort. The final 3rd is your specific effort. Given your goals on race day and the fact that Ironman race pace is close to zone 1, I suggest you run 10 to 15 seconds faster per mile than zone 2 effort.
  • Options
    Coach Patrick, thanks for your suggestions.

I checked my emails first thing in the morning (already on Monday because of time lag), and your reply was in time for my today's running! I made it the warm-up (@zone1) for tomorrow's steady running.

Just in case I would like to make sure of your last sentence: "I suggest you run 10 to 15 seconds faster per mile than zone 2 effort."  "10 to 15 seconds faster per mile than zone 2 effort" will be my zone3-4 since my zone2 is 4:07, zone3 is 4:02, and zone 4 is 3:53 at the moment. So should I run at between zone3 and zone4 for my 3rd run?

One more thing (about one of my last questions), can I put off my RR, which is to be done this weekend until 3 weeks out from the race day, can't I?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry! The zone to pace combination I gave was by the metric system.  By the mile they will be zone2: 6:37, zone3: 6:28, and zone4: 6:16.
  • Options
    Akio -

Yes you can put off the Race rehearsal until 3 weeks ago, not a problem. Given the close proximity of your running zones, you'll want to be running in zone 3 for the final 3rd of the run. Again, we don't want to be too aggressive with this work so use it sparingly... If, at any point in time you feel you are working too hard, back things down to zone 2 or even zone 1.
  • Options

Coach Patrick, thanks for your guidance!

I already did the 2nd run yesterday.  After 15' of warmup (incl. stride), I started from @10-15' minus zone1, and went up @zone 2. Warmup/down: 16' each, zone1-2 :25', zone2: 20'. I felt very good.  I will do the 3rd run tomorrow based on your guidance. Thanks!

• Options
    Coach Patrick

Here is my update from the last two weeks:

Week 15

Mon: Swim 60min (drills) / Run 53min (23min@zone1)

Tue: Swim 65min (intervals as in the list) / Run 78min (25'@zone1 minus 5sec, 20min@zone2)

Wed: Bike 71min (3x1min@zone4, 2x20min@zone4)

Thu: Swim 60min (drills) / Run 81min (25min@zone2, 10min@zone1, 15min@zone3)

Fri: Swim 60min (intervals as in the list)

Sat: Bike 235min (ABP ride:180min@zone3) / Run 30min (out@zone1, back@zone2)

Sun: 307min (smooth ride@zone1-3 in the hills)

Week 16 (about the same as the week 15)

Mon: Swim 60min (drills) / Run 54min (23min@zone1 minus 5sec)

Tue: Swim 60min (intervals as in the list) / Run 76min (15'@zone1 minus 5sec, 30min@zone2)

Wed: Swim 60min (drills)

Thu: Bike 71min (3x1min@zone4, 1x8/12/20min@zone4)

Fri: Run 89min (25min@zone2, 10min@zone1, 2x10min@zone3)

Swim 60min (WU 400, 2000m@TT, CD 300)

Sat: 305min (smooth ride@zone1-3 in the hills) / Run 30min (out@zone1, back@zone2)

Sun: Bike 241min (ABP ride:186min@zone3)

So far so good with my training for my second Ironman. (I hope so) Can I go on with my training like the above this week too? And I have three more questions:

1. In the list I am having FTP test this week. Should I try this or do the normal threshold ride, for example, 2x20@zone4? My feeling is that my FTP is almost the same as I did before the previous ironman or a bit lower.

2. I am going into taper from next week, but can I do it as in the list again, or should I do it any other way adjusted for the second Ironman?

3. I am doing RR on the first weekend of taper, but can/should I make the ride (112 mile) shorter if it should be very hot on the day? I don't think it's a good idea to ride long hours without rest if the temperature is over 95F. The race will be held provably under 77F.

Thanks!
  • Options
    @Akio. yes to the same week. No need to test at all. I suggest you taper 10 days...so regular training up until Thursday...that's your last long run (about 80 minutes). If it's that hot, yes, you can keep it to 4 or 4.5 hours...your fitness is there already!!!!
  • Options

Coach Patrick, thanks for your suggestions. I will try 10 days tapering this time. I've never tapered for such a short period, though. Usually 2 or 3 weeks. However this is my second Ironman and I've been training lowering the volume of run, so I might not have to taper so long. Thanks!

• Options
    I will always defer to you, but I am in the same place re lower volume. Especially if you DO TAPER PROPERLY. Good sleep. Minimal exercise. Proper nutrition, etc.
  • Options

Coach Patrick, thanks again for your thoughts.  Anyway it's too hot here to train long, so low volume while keeping high intensity seems right for me.  Last Sunday the tempreature was over 100F so I had to take 6 liter of water for 3.5 hours ride.

BTW, can I bump my RR day for Saturday this week to Friday or Sunday? Looks like It's going to rain on Saturday. In that case I will either move my Friday swim to Sunday, or make Saturday off instead of Sunday.

Thanks!

• Options
    Yes that's fine to move that ride....BUt BUT BUT...why are you drinking water on your rides? Do you mean sports drink? Please tell me you drink sports drink....
  • Options
    Sorry! I meant sports drink (and a bit of water) of course.  Actually I always use electrolyte tablets for a long ride to mix with water because they are convenient to carry.
  • Options
    Ok, wanted to make sure you were getting 1,000 mgs sodium / hour and calories too!!!! image
  • Options
    Thanks Coach Patrick. I got it!
  • Options

Coach Patrick

RR Day was safely done on Sunday. I did 112 mile bike as it was not so hot, and felt quite good.

You advised me to do regular training up until Thursday. Can I do Wednesday bike as listed (MS: 3 x 6' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard), or should I make the set longer, say, 3 x 15'? 

One more question about Saturdays bike: I have to send my TT bike on Thursday to the hotel I will be staying for this coming IM, so I need to the Saturdays bike on a road bike, which I mainly use for the indoor trainer. In that case are there any points I have to take care of?

Thanks!

• Options
    Yes you can do the wed bike but 3x6 ONLY please. I am the TAPER POLICE!!! image

Road bike is ok, make sure Rear tire is safe...hell, I would ride inside if I were you to BE safe...same time as listed just hydrate like mad if inside! If outside just be safe!!!1
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

As you noticed, I skipped my Monday run making Mon off and moved Tuesday bike to Wednesday (Tuesday is swim only) since I did my RR on Sunday. I will make Wed bike 3x6'@zone4.

I can change tires of my road bike for outdoor riding, which I sometimes do and enjoy random, fun ride, but will remain indoor to be safe as I haven't ridden that bike outdoors recently.

I will post my update again.

Thanks.

• Options
    How goes it???
  • Options

Coach Patrick

there's has been no problem with the training this week. My update is like this;

Mon: OFF

Tues: Swim 60min as in the list of Wednesday

Wed: Bike 60min as in the list / Swim drills

Thurs: Run 77min as  in the list, but cut the second zone2 to 10min

Fri: Run 44min as in the list / Swim 60min as in the list and a bit of drill

Sat: Bike 150min as in the list / Run (as a brick) as in the list

Sun (today): OFF

I felt rather dull in the beginning of the week, but seemed to start to change for the better from Friday. The brick training on Saturday went very well. I couldn't hit zone 4 for the first 15min of the run, but could hit slightly above zone3, and felt very good at the end of the run@zone2.

So what about the tomorrows (Mon) workout? Since my race is on Saturday, I am going to drop the Monday workout and move the Tuesday forward. But can I dial back the bike interval and skip the run, or take Monday off if I still feel tired from the Saturdays workout? I'm a bit tired today. FYI, I am moving to the race venue on Wednesday and provably won't be able to do the workout in the list.

Thanks!

• Options
    AY, always always rest. I would chill out right now...remember you have 2x the usual fatigue in your system. Pour over the mental details and start getting ready for the work of race day!!!
  • Options

Coach Patrick, thanks for your advice. I'm already chilling out. Here is my another update:

Sun: OFF

Mon: Run easy jog@below zone1 30min / Swim 45min as in the list

Tues: Bike easy spin 25min include 3 x 1' spin up@120rpm / Run (brick) 12min@zone1 / Swim 20min easy swim@form focused (also to ease my legs)

I feel I can move to IM Japan tomorrow in good shape. The venue is a long way from Tokyo,1.5 hours flight and 2.5 hours drive. I hope I can get back here to this forum with a good report.

BTW the Kona slots of this event are for 2014, and the entry fee for Kona will go up to $875! It's kind of crazy, isn't it?!

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio, you are ready. Use travel time to map out your race plan and plan for all contingencies!!! I am so pumped for you!
  • Options
    Just to let you know, I was in 4th place in 50-54 and qualified! (for 2013). The time was 10:37. Very tough course.
  • Options
    I was tracking you online....so excited...I thought you qualified for 2014 though, not 2013 (as the IM Japan site said)....AWESOME! Is this your first time?
  • Options

Thanks, Coach Patrick (and sorry for the typo. Yes, this slot is for next year).  Here is the summery of my race.

The swim course is set at the lake of clear water, and the surface was very calm, so I was able to finish the swim leg at the best record ever 1:16:41.  The bike course was very tough with some steep or gentle though long hills, and by far tougher than I had thought. I kept my numbers by the EN race execution, and my legs felt quite fresh when I finished the bike at 05:43:33. The run course is made up of two laps and goes up to the halfway point. I think I could run at solid pace, and the time was 3:26:39. It started to rain at the 100km point of the bike, and kept raining through, so I had to go down the hills very carefully on the bike, and felt a bit chilled on the run.

Anyway, I believe I owe my slot this time to your guidance so far. I would like to get prepared for Kona as a member of EN. I will take some rest this month and think about the plan for this winter and next year (I need your help for it). 

Thanks!!! (This is just a quick note.)

• Options
    I forgot to write that this will be my fourth Kona, but after six years interval!
  • Options
    Akio....that's fantastic. After this year you DESERVE some down time for sure. You don't "need" to start training until January of next year...time to start brainstorming how you want to shape the year re races, etc. Again, congrats!!!
  • Options

Thanks, Coach Patrick. BUT your suggestion makes me both glad and sad because like everyone else here I am  an A-type athlete and I feel as if I am missing something without workout, especially after I did EN workout this year.  Do you mean I don't "need" to start training, but I "can" (do some workout if I will)?  In the latter case, what do you think I should do? I was thinking of concentrating on swim since it is my worst discipline. Any thoughts?

• Options
    @Akio, yes I would, after a good 2-3 week break, fire up a swim only period where you swim 4 to 5 times a week....3 x 30' easy runs, 1 x 60-75' bike...again, easy.