Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Scott Dinhofer's Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 12:53PM

okay, now the real update... I've crunched the numbers. Last year I used %ile of swim finishes for 17 & 16 at LP to predict my IMKY swim finish within 40 secs. Using the same method on a healthy run nets me a 10:28 race, 18 mins faster than my IMLP PR of 10:54. This would get me an 8th in '17 & 19th in '18. In 55-59 it would be a 4th & 5th in 17 & 18.

Using the same methodology to Choo, I predict a 10:36 race which would get me a 6th in 2017 (no swim in 18), that would be a 2nd in 55-59.

I could give you the details on this, but I think you can trust my math. Focus now on healing, up and KQ in 55-59 (top 2 finish) at IMLP 2020. (unless you think I should do a different race)

My Adductors are REALLY F--d up on my left leg. Dr Stu hit them pretty hard Tuesday & will again today. Saw Shoulder Doc yesterday, got a Cortisone shot in right arm. MRI is being scheduled to see exactly what is up on my hamstrings and then do the PRP injections. My plan is to run the CLE 1/2 mary in 2 1/2 weeks with Ally and do it in Vaporflys to test them more. I will do the Overland with Ralph & Randy. Then I will have PRP injection and stand down a few weeks.

What you and I need to do is get me transitioned back to training through Overland (maintenance plan with FRC intervals?) Get me a swim focus plan once I have the PRP injections and then rebuild and lean me up. We need to come up with a thoughtful approach to TSS, Skimo/bike/ run this winter. My goal is to show up at France camp with IM fitness and weight.

I know I've said this before, but my body comp goal is to kick the ass out of body comp once and for all. I am going to show up at overland at 149 or under. after that, will pick dates/ targets to get me to 142-145 by thanksgiving...

I also plan on hitting the gym/ basement weights 3-4x per week for remainder of 2019 to build lean muscle throughout body.

Long range camp planning has me at Full BRC, France Camp, some kind of VT adventure between the two and possibly Al camp. I want to get fitter on the bike than I am now and I want to do a run build like we did in '17 once healthy so I can turn in a 3:40 mary in LP..

I have to believe I can do a S-1:06 B-5:35 R-3:40 T1/2-6:45 for a 10:28 IMLP at age 55.

Let's figure this out once I heal up... If I don't KQ, that's IM #11, i can do anything for #12 after that and be legacy which I wouldn't get until next year no matter what I do this year.

btw, just noticed this started a new page, make sure to read posts on page 11 prior to this, post IMLP..

• Options

I read the posts and I agree we should do a data driven call. I am pleased to see that you rode your camp efforts on race day with the "X" factors being the time out and the heat. I think you lost a time there as well...about 5' on the bike and then a ton on the run.

To put it another way, the heat + wind made the bike harder (you could handle it) but it pushed you over the edge on the run. Solution? Get really bike strong so you can absorb that stuff and still run your run.

If I read between the lines it sounds like IM is off the table for the rest of this year as we rebuilt you in to Scott 2.0? We can talk...let me know when you have time on Friday via text...

~ Coach P

• Options

@scott dinhofer - OK, wrapping and moving on from our call. Workouts added to Final Surge for you through Overland; we should talk before then As to how things are rolling out.

Race Lessons Learned:

• Hot races means bike HR trumps Power for caps on the bike
    • Hot races means refocus on nutrition: One bottle behind...can't have that happen!
    • Body Comp continues to be the key; more weight loss = more speed. The more time we have to do that, the better.

Short Term Schedule:

Overall theme here is to have fun this fall and get healthy while NOT taking extended aerobic time off.

• Half Marathon In CLE; not racing, just running.
    • VT Overland: Social, explore, have fun.
    • Sept??? PRP Injections (modality?)....recover, then easing back into it at the end of SEPT.

Travel:

• Cleveland: 8/16-19
    • Rochester, NY 8/20
    • To VT 8/22 THU (can do some recon)

Long Term play:

• Determine weekly TSS targets for you to follow
    • Set body comp goals early for longer term effectiveness
    • Run durability is key; short runs matter a ton and 20mpw steady would be a great place to start post PRP

Note: Really want pics from overland of you all and your bikes, etc. How can we build upon this gravel momentum? Maybe post race pics too? Race Report? You tell me.

• Options

Good stuff!!!

Overland - I'll write up a summary of both hoff camps for Les Forums, the badass camp in June & the Gravel Camp I've got going in a few weeks. I'll also do a RR, and try to get pics.

did the 1/2mary in CLE, went out too hard.. but goal wasn't to execute a good 1/2 mary, goal was too push legs and see what breaks down.. first hour was great, crushed it.. Left hammy popped in early, kept getting worse, then quads, then oddly Right ITB. THAT one was the killer that had me walk/running the last 2 miles. Thunderstorms delayed the start, no rain on course, VERY high humidity.

http://tpks.ws/JZ3S5WQ7KDWIBFP7LHGWHIQMGI

Clearly I made the right call. Plan this coming week is to do 2-4 mile runs, will start biking in VT with Surveys of Overland Course on Friday/ Saturday with full on Ride Sunday. Then will roll forward with SBR until MRI (Monday after OL, and then hopefully PRP thereafter.. Plan to do post PRP weeks as 5x swim, 2-3x core & upper body strength.. focusing on diet shortly.. know I can lose a ton of weight by kona.. a good line in the sand.

• Options

Thanks for the update. I think it’s clear that we maximize every possible ounce or a body this year. As we move forward this fall with fun cycling, we need to establish a level of run durability that is very basic. I mention this earlier on the phone and our last call but shooting for 15 to 18 miles a week will be a great start.

In the meantime the basic guidance is to get out ride and have fun as you are healthy doing that. Bonus to do any core or self-care work with the roller. Looking forward to that race info

• Options

okay, time to get back to business. While I have all of these chronic injuries, there is training/ maintenance to be done. Not even getting on a scale for a few weeks, but I think i will diet better now that I don't have the demands of training. At least that's how it works for me and I am motivated.

I have at least 1-2 weeks before getting PRP injections, maybe longer. The post PRP injection timing will likely be run jail for at least 3 weeks and bike jail for one week, zone 1 work after week 1. so my thinking is that I want to build up my VASA work to be able to do VASA 5x per week post PRP.

I also plan on doing at least 2 strength/core sessions a week with additional core work daily.

so for now, i need some strucutre -

Run - will try to run daily average of 3 MPD for 20 MPW. that should be ok on hammys

Bike - would like to ride 3-4 days per week, longish weekend rides, 2-3 hours. what should I be doing for weekday trainer work? FRC intervals? Get faster plan? something else?

Swim - as per above, will just get in the wkos, i know what to do here on my non-bike days.

this weekend (sat/sun) will be run only as I am in MI for a wedding, but will hit weights and run. Going to try and get to Harriman Tomorrow AM for a 2 hr or so ride given that biz is dead this week.

• Options

OK, thanks for the bump. Here I was thinking you'd take time off before you fixed your double hernia self! 🤣

I could see a basic week like this. I say Zwift Roulette as being structured does nothing right now for your bike...have fun. There are a gajillion ride options and you can jump in, draft, text, make new friends, etc. If you feel good, go hard.

• Mon - Run 3 + Strength
    • Tues - Zwift Roulette, Run 3
    • Wed - Run 3, Vasa 20' Prep
    • Thu - Zwift Roulette, Run 3
    • Fri - Run 3, Vasa 20' Prep + Strength,
    • Sat - Long Ride, preferably off road fun etc (3 to 4 hours), Run 3
    • Sun - Run 3, Vasa 20' Prep

1000% to the diet. Time to talk to Jill and make some structural changes, perhaps arranging a specific cheat day but otherwise being good. This will help with your recovery as well. I feel like PRP recovery is longer than what you said, but let me know as we go.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options

No rest for the determined!! Though it’s clear how much ART did for me now that I haven’t been going.

Going to try and do longer vasa sessions as I will need to be able to do that and only that after PRP for a few weeks.

Diet is totally awesome. Jill is a very healthy eater, tonight be had baked salmon, grilled chicken, grilled Brussels & cauliflower. I also had a 1/2 portion of protein shake, full portion for begat & lunch and ny casein pudding with some blueberries before bed.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 1:40AM

Just an update, nothing much for you to add...

had 3 MRIs... 2 at same time of both hips, 1 follow up of right hip with Dye to look at some cysts..

Had follow up with Hip guy today. bottom line, the labral tears they reported are nothing.. what you would expect in a 54 YO runner. Cysts were only a concern as they are close to Sciatic nerve, they don't seem to effect me. major Hammy tendinitis.

been trying to hold a line and run 5-6 days per week, 3.5-4.5 mpd. Pacing is actually pretty good. 1st mile usually slow at 8:45-9, but everything after is at 8ish-8:20. It feels like I am running like shit, but the watch doesn't lie!

trying to have fun biking, everything from a 40 mile ride solo to doing with with a group and some good MTB to get skills and have some fun. Ideally will ride 3-4x per week

Started with Vasa yesterday as I need to build this up as I seem to have lost swim fitness, no shock since I haven't since LP.. Doing PRP on 10/2, having hernia surgery on 10/8. I will have to stand down for a few weeks. Ideally I will get to Vasa 5x per week and do strength training of different types 3-5x per week and lots of stretching. I am hoping to be able to do some serious riding at end of October.. I am crewing for a friend who is sailing from Denmark to Australia with his family. I am doing Lisbon to Lanzarote!!! I will bring bike gear and rent a bike for a day and ride the island!

some days I am great about the stretching, self care etc, other days not so much. got to work on that.. need to do daily weight training/ vasa/ stretching..

dieting my face off to try and lose what I gained after LP and then some!

• Options

I am so impressed with your focus despite his baseline physical challenges. I think this type of effort, and this early, bodes well for next season. Most importantly, I appreciate how you’re still managing of fun! That’s where the real magic lines. Any change in treatment protocols for the hamstring based off of what you saw? Oh, and I definitely want pictures of the trip!

• Options

okay- I'm on team let's do this!

here's where I am, I can now bike, but not hard. so starting that tonight.

Now that the pain in abdomen is gone, I am on the Vasa and building. Until I can run, plan is to build Vasa by having an A day and a B day. A day will be longer than B, think of B as recovery day. Once I hit 3000M per day, I'll start doing more structured workouts, adding in door 2 50s, and moving up to Door 3 eventually.

I will ping you in a week or so to start building bike effort roughly a thanksgiving week to a reasonable level to start JOS.

I will start doing CnC this weekend and hope I can hang on!

Run will re-start in two weeks. Finding out tomorrow if I can get on the elliptical. I'd like to basically be doing 3-5 hrs of Vasa, 6-8hrs of bike (lots of Z2 here) over the next two weeks..

Only possible remaining issue is a constant pain in right hip where they found a couple of benign cysts. Seeing that doc tomorrow to discuss. hopefully there is no real impact from these.

• Options

Per our chat

short term 1-2 weeks goals

vasa 5x a week, 3 long of 2000m or more,2 short of 1200-1500m. Days off are after doing weight training eve before

bike 6-7x per week, all zone1.5-2 with some z3 mixed in. Build volume on weekends.

elliptical 2-3x per week as allowed by doc

core 4x/week with some core/stretching daily

Diet, diet, diet

• Options

As I’ve said in the past, Stanbaugh and I have been very equal historically. Now he has himself in the stratosphere after a full stop for surgery 18 or so months ago. How’d he get to the spot to be able to hang with you on back to back prep rides and reel off a 17 mile 7:45 run a couple of weeks ago?

The answer I am looking for is more, how are you going to get me to that place? My job is losing weight and getting healthy.

That said, we need to relook at my planning sheet, pick the right events and I need to forget about MTB races and 70.3 NZL worlds if my goal is KQ at LP.

So, should we have a call to go over my planning sheet (calendar) figure what events, (BWR, etc) are ok to keep because they are big training bumps, or others that shouldn’t be done because they may be a training interruption?? 

• Options

Ok @scott dinhofer I have a few weeks built up for you on le bike and le vasa in Final Surge so check it out. Drag and drop as you need to...and let me know about the weekends.

The goal here is a transition back up on the bike as we prep for the return to running.

Bike Work:

• First is progressive intervals where you'll build the effort...
    • Second is the tempo workout where we consolidate some of the effort in upper Zone 2 every 4th session.
    • Third is some friday endurance.

Swim Work:

• A bit of skill with cadence.
    • A bit of strength with 50s...but not crazy hard.
    • A bit of intermediate work.
    • Any bonus vasa should be skill based for time call it 20' to 30'...some short episode you like to watch?

On top of all of this, you should:

• keep up the physical therapy work
    • Build up the walking / hiking
    • Keep up the body comp goodness....

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

some comments per above

Swim - you have all of my WKOs at 1000M/Y - I am now doing 2000M per workout. Can you get me some WKOs in there starting later this week with longer distances. I've been doing 200s, 300s & 400s. If I do a warm up, I can probably do 50s with a few of them on Door 2 when I am fresh.

Bike - WKOs look good, I know you are counting on me to get in weekend bike volume and/or skimo volume. for EACH day on weekend, what would you want for total minutes volume on the weekend? Each skin up Okemo is roughly 50-58 mins depending on route(65-70 HrTSS), thinking I have to get out early and do 2x up and could graduate to 2.5x up in a few weeks.

during the week, to help get total TSS up, am thinking that I should be adding some recovery rides on the swim only days. 45-60 minutes of low Z3 intervals with warm up/warm down, can of course do lower intensity.

Zwifft races - what kind of races/ where would you have me insert?

• Options

1, yes to the swim changes...on it!

2, I am looking for 2 hours a day, 4 hours total. If you need to travel on Sunday, that's a 4h Saturday. But end of DEC we should be at 5 hours total time.

3, Zone 3 is not recovery. Just start with recovery rides now..like 2.3 w/k on Zwift...just chill time. After you do 6 of those rides we can make one of them (a week) more Zone 3...build, grasshopper!

4, Ziwift races are short and sweet first. I want you doing 20k range races...nothing in the 40k range yet. Think max 30' of racing!

~ Coach P

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Yo yo yo...wanted to check in on the TSS stuff...big goals mean finding time to build up that engine, and this is the time of year to lay that foundation. A snapshot of TSS since 11/1/18...

• Options
    edited December 20, 2019 5:09PM

I hear you buddy, thank you for the nudge. How much TSS per week would you like to be seeing for me NOW??

Here's what I;d like to optimistically be doing starting 12/28 when I am back from VT

• Options

@scott dinhofer - I think the goal is to get you to a place where you are @ 100 TSS/day.

I would settle for:

• 80 TSS/Day ≈ 560/wk for a week avg for next week.
    • Then its 12/29 @ 90 TSS/Day ≈ 630/wk for two weeks...into...
    • 100 TSS/Day by second or third week of the OS moving forward.

This means that you need to build in time to do something daily. For me that's Tu/Wed/Thu early, Mon & Fri I get to sleep in and WKO later...weekends are the "swing" days where I play catch up (or rest) depending on where my TSS is at. The schedule is a grind but it makes it easier to execute (fun comes later when you are fitter!).

Onwards...

~ Coach P

• Options

Issue for next 7 days is that the only tools at my disposal are skimo, downhill ski & running.. hoping to run every day, 1.5-2.5 miles which will be a new threshold. Also last week, i had that monster Skimo race that crushed me for a day or two! (unless you want me to swim in this!)

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 12:43PM

ok, week wasn't great from a total TSS perspective, have a plan for next 7 days that should get us on track. see saturday's bike nice hard sets of higher power intervals

Questions-

am I on regular OS plan? or are you giving me my own structured WKOs?

what date does OS begin? (I ambike thread captain)

also, from a season planning standpoint, do you see any issues with doing three weeks in a row as:

Belgian Waffle ride (135 mi/partial gravel) May 3 - already committed

Battenkill (75 miles w some gravel (like Hell of Hunterdon)) May 9 - signing up based on your answer

NYGF (102 mi road) May 17 - already committed

after that it will be 3 solid weeks of training before 4 day camp hoff which is a week and a half before France. No Al camp for me this year😯

• Options

@scott dinhofer When you are winter living, we have to be flexible. I'll take anything when you are in the winter wonderland. I took up a serious planking habit the last few days; anything to keep the fire burning!

• Yes, you'll be using the baseline OS as a template so you can be the captain (bike?)
    • OS begins January 6th
    • Yes, those three weeks are great.

They key will be to have a good "maintenance" week that allows you to recover from those sessions but keeps up your fitness.

It will be tempting to take the time off right after those events, but we could commit to a:

• Mon - Sleep In + 15' Core, Vasa in PM
    • Tues - AM Short Durability Run + Core, PM is 1h Steady on Trainer
    • Wed - Vasa Session; Run Interval / Intensity
    • Thu - AM Bike Intervals as Planned, Durability Run
    • Fri - Vasa Session, Short 30' bike session with 2' ramp intervals for sharpening (4 to 5 of them with 6' rest, intervals build from 60% to 120%, then last 20" are all out.
    • Sat - Ride or Easy Day
    • Sun - Ride or Recovery Day

The most important session of that whole week is the Monday AM Core. Getting that 15' core work in will make the rest of the week and staying on track possible.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

you're gonna have to re-post that weekly proscription in 5 months!😁

will sign up for battenkill. you getting a gravel bike? Overland sign up was today, I can get more spots & He'll open more.

Yes, I will do bike captain, Brenda's working on a run captain. If need be I'll do both..

Happy New year!

• Options

Question - based on recent workouts where would you swag my FTP? will attempt first OS wko at 235 knowing I can adjust down/up as needed..

I charted out a week this week that would have gotten me to 800 TSS, I got to 616 which is a big improvement. Being in Mt Snow didn't help, but yesterday I did 2 skinups in the rain, 1 this AM, was just too wiped to do 2. Wanted to run when i got back to NY, but that didn't happen. I got 4 runs in some quality bikes.

Starting JOS this week, planning on running daily since I can't do the bigger mileage, yet. I also have a good 12 day stretch before heading back to VT for MLK weekend and will be disciplined that weekend on skinning volume and running daily.. need to try and get a run streak going.

• Options

Yes to the run streak. Remember it's NOT about the TOTAL miles run at this point, it's about the number of TIMES you run. 5 x 2 miles runs might feel like failure to you, but it would be a huge win to get the ball rolling...and it's only 20' session!

Re your FTP, I think 235 is a fine place to start. I am not worried about any specific number, I just want you working hard...sustainably hard, so that you can still keep the pressure on for the full interval set without backing off too much.

Remember if you have 2 x 10 and you have to go 4x5' with more rest, that's ok. I just want 20' of work...but you should be able to hold the work for the 5'. If you can't hold it for 5' Then it's likely too high of a number.

I saw your post on Sociology...AFAIAC, that's solid work in the AM combined with all day activity is great. You get the win of family time with fitness. Can't ask for more than that!

Let's set up a call for next week: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

~ Patrick

• Options

ughhhhh - didnt hit the runs. Had issues on a few days. just need to get 3MPD done and that's it.. Yesterday/today only did bike, good news just over 4 hrs, legs fried both days though. Need to run first.

Had to pick up ally at Newark at 5 am Thursday, threw off my whole day. no workouts missed a swim in there, Also tried to run at 3PM today, but havent eaten ANYTHING today as I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow. Hopefully I can get in 3Mi run tomorrow moring or afternoon. Have to have a good 5 days before heading up to VT for MLK weekend. Planning on extreme 3 days of skinning/running in VT

hit 570 TSS this week, down from last week. Will hit 650 plus next week. not happy, but CTL is climbing nicely

• Options
    edited January 15, 2020 4:21PM

here's today's workout, please look at my entry on the JOS forums here and tell me if I am giving correct info to the group on execution.

next and more important (to me) - am i executing these intervals correctly? to my eye, I wasn't working as hard as I would if I were doing 2x15@.95-1.0. Maybe it's a combo of the ramp up and that I DO need to bump my FTP higher than 231 already! (wouldn't that be nice?) or are these designed to NOT be as soul crushing as a 2x15FTP interval? that's the Q, I am asking in this post of you, as well as what you think we should bump my FTP up to, if anything..

http://tpks.ws/TN5IF72TDXXJ3TAD5FBIBWZ2PY

I think for Thursday I will do the WKO at night to give me max spread from this am and up my FTP to 240? or 237? I will also do a low intensity ride on Friday since I am skiing Sat/Sun/Mon

• Options

@scott dinhofer Love to see those WKOs coming in. When you see POWDER in the mountains, that should be your cue to start running now so you can earn time off for the fun stuff on the weekends! 🤣 Keep it up!

~ Coach P

• Options

update from Snowmass. Got To Vail Thursday afternoon, right off the plane, Al & I skinned an hour up Beaver Creek and skied down. Good dump that day and overnight, went skiing with his frined Dave who is Al's age and lives full time in Vail. Between the fresh snow, deep skiing in the bumps and trees, I was schooled by these guys especially because I was still using my sea level lungs. Yesterday we were joined by my friend Anne, who is a former pro Mogul tour skier, she lives in Denver and has a place in Summit county where she racks up serious ski mileage, along with her 15 yr old Daughter and 22 year old nephew who was right out of the military. We pushed hard all day, steeps, trees, jumps, stupid stuff 55 YO guys shouldnt be doing. Today was Me and Al, and no matter how I try, I can't go easy, I also could barely ski or walk by the end of the day.

Al basically told me to ski friggin hard all day and don't worry about trying to run, bike or anything else this week I am going to try and do a super skin of 2-3 hours on tuesday and possible backcountry touring on Weds with a guide. I am back in NY Friday and will try to get a run and bike in, certainly a VASA. Saturday I am doing a skimo race at Burke Mtn, that should be a 3 hour smackdown. Sunday I will be home and do a long ride and a run.

Monday is back on regular schedule and trying to do an OS bike week with 6 runs & 3-4 Vasa sessions.

• Options

further update... did the skin/hike to the top of snowmass today, 2:38 moving time, 4000' climbing, didn't drink enough water and def had a touch of altitude sickness (it tops out around 12,300) 192 solid aerobic TSS, legs totally trashed on the way down, epic snow in the highland bowl, but had to stop a gazzilion times due to leg fatigue..