Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Scott Dinhofer's Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

SWEET with the TSS. I love that interval functionality, but yes you can really mess it up! 🤣

Good work...let's keep the TSS Going!

~ Coach P

• Options

all on TP which you have access to. Did 55 miles with Patt Koss who was 45' away visiting daughter in CT.. good news is that he is not as strong as me, so while I pushed hills, I consciously backed off somewhat.. still hurt!

today I met a friend of Withrow's at 6am. My plan was to ride the main road in Bear mountain end to end and back covering around 24 miles and shooting for 50-60 TSS, well Eric hammered the way up to Tiorati Circle and i was along for the ride.. at and above Indoor FTP, likely at or above outdoor FTP... and had my 50 TSS at Tiorati circle. good news is that our rides were to diverge there and I just rode back to the car.. took time, and did some messages, then went out and ran a brick of 6.25 mi... speed wasn't great, but mostly felt good.. so there's some hope on the horizon.. thinking we should have the short bike (1.5 hrs) that we had 3 yrs ago in my plan with a longish 8-12 mi brick on sundays...

long range planning -

BRC - May 31 (Al Camp) need a plan to cover this time, inclusive of bike taper for NY Gran Fondo (May 19)

Al Camp to Patriot Half 6/15

Camp Hoff 6/19-23

Camp Hoff through IMLP 7/28 - planning on a big weekend July 4-7 at the lake & my own mini LP Camp 2 weeks before the race 7/13ish..

• Options

Nice work!! I like how you suffered and how you manage things appropriately. I am very encouraged by that 10K run. I agree that we need a plan for the next month and I’d like to operate in incremental chunks to do it. Yes to the brick run, but not until we get into a more traditional program. Right now your opportunity for cycling volume needs to be paired with run durability… Not run volume. I will get something back to you within the next day.

• Options

we can discuss in car to Boone, difference between volume & durability.. ?

also peeked at what you dropped into my FS page, looks like only 2 swims per week? seems off.. my goal is to get to 2600ish M per swim, 3x per week right after Boone and ramp up to 3500-4000yards PS/3x per week.

• Options

some info for our call on Tuesday -

Past notable performances.

IMKY, was in 8th place AG at Mile 7 of run. Hip issue derailed run. IMLP 16 & 17

Swim consistency in 2017. 1:08:xx swim at LP, predicted within 40” my swim time at IMKY. This will come. Time is now to swim 3x a week and 1x of those in pool. Book swim labs stroke work starting in 2 weeks

Schedule

May 

11/12 training

18/19 NYGF Sunday 

25/26 training, possibly in VT Memorial Day

June 

1/2 - al camp thru weds (5/31 - 6/5)

8/9

15/16 - patriot half Saturday

22/23 - VT camp hoff weds- Sunday (June 19-23)

29/30

July

7/8 in VT 4 days, th-sun. Extra volume?

14/15 - LP mini camp, th pm - Sunday

21/22 - taper weekend

28th IMLP

Bike- seriously, Stanbaugh vs me, 2 years ago the same, both had time off for injury/ surgery. He is not really any leaner than me, so it IS fitness. 

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Okay, the editing is done. I have GFNY in there as an exception (assumed Sunday), otherwise despite your weekend plans I have you doing the rides I want. 🤣

Also...

• 5/31 travel time is Early AM.... There at noon at Al's Camp...so cute PM strides in there.
    • 19th GFNY means Early run on the 18th....

Let's move these numbers!

~ Patrick

• Options
    edited May 8, 2019 1:40PM

Weekday intervals

we discussed doing them at 1’, you wrote 30”. Shud I do as written? Seems easier than paul’s Crush workouts that I sent Yu by email yesterday.. those start at 1 min and shrink. Best I ever did was 10 intervals. Assuming intensity of 1.7ftp= approx 410? reminder that here is the Crush Thread

Thursday 5’ intervals: what intensity? No notes🙄

i will ask about weekends if needed. Good stuff here, work to be done!! #motivated

• Options

thinking legs were sore from BRC, still.. Did 30" target intervals. Flat course in Le Zwift.

here's the WKO, http://tpks.ws/ERLSIVBV4OB56R2ORNXUWWKQZY

have any answers on above?

btw, not sure if you saw email post our conversation.,Here’s what I did in 2018

Below are crush intervals in reverse chronology

1/11/18 - http://tpks.ws/5EI52NYAQE4FYVBSZFMHMRBM4Y

1/19/18 - http://tpks.ws/UNIDS4Y47EJSHNESDQT3VB3OUI

2/8/18 - http://tpks.ws/VNB55V64DDORUH4TMZHN5ONDVA

2/15/18 - http://tpks.ws/BY2U4KYYMIF6JHVYNBEHTGLZM4

3/1/18 - http://tpks.ws/3MQEYC5NRN6WJXJZWI2MLW6KYY

3/8/18 - http://tpks.ws/C7HYDQILNPZNRQ2BAGBMTVPNEA

3/15/18 - http://tpks.ws/I4LP5CIOEG342SZZHWLLLA6FOA

3/23/18 - http://tpks.ws/AZZ4LECYYVMZB2QLG5EHK7A5M4

also, since you may not have seen my email, sent you a couple of presents from the good folks at amazon.. happy reading! The itzler book is Friggin funny..

• Options

@scott dinhofer Great work on the short stufff..the longer stuff, I swear I wrote stuff down for you...right now we want 2' intervals at 340... 3 of them this weekend with 8' easy after each. Then steady riding.

Here is a video for you:

Here are your interval targets for the rest of the Bike Focus Block:

• 30" Interval Targets: 530w to 510w
    • 45" Interval Targets: 470 to 450w
    • 1' Interval Targets: 440 to 420w
    • 2' Interval Targets: 355w to 335w
    • 3' Interval Targets: 295w to 280w
    • 4' Interval Targets: 275w to 260w
    • 5' to 8' Interval Targets: 265w to 250w

• Options
    edited May 10, 2019 4:42PM

@Coach Patrick - THAT was helpful - now I know why my guy in the phillipines wants screen casts from me! what software do you use to create those?

also, the button to expand the video doesn't let me, likely a forum problem. so i can't see the detail on the chart. will get at it tomorrow AM, just need to find a good 2 minute hill to do repeats on for the intervals!

Also, those numbers I know are achievable, I just have to assume I was carrying fatigue from BRC

• Options

did a 3:10 ride today on ventum, did 3x2' intervals in the beginning 382, 366, 344, bad terrain choice on 3rd one, cut short at 1:44

was planning on adding a 20' loop on the end, but a flat I had a few miles earlier apparently wasn't going away.

• Options

okay, weekly analysis, going to start adding this to the thread and expecting your thoughts!

"only" 720 TSS - expectation to run more last week, life issues.. 2 big events for the twins (senior's recognition LAX game and HS honored the kids who signed with schools with a signing ceremony)

Need to work in a pool swim. Ideally it is a 4th swim, 2000 yards, focus on stroke, thinking of when to schedule Swim labs appointment, probably need a few sessions in pool before that happens, so maybe 2x vasa and 2x pool this week

Bike, lost TSS on bike last week due to recovery from BRC.. that's acceptable.

Read the "lviing with a seal" book (enjoy it, it's a fast, fun read), it helps redefine shitty weather... Was raining yesterday, all day, 'what would goggins do?' Run of course, so i ran! I have clothes!

for run weeks, I am thinking this for the run. M-2;Tu3-4;weds 8 in am, 2in pm; thrs 2, Fri 3-4; sat 3;sun 9. that will be 32-35, mostly by chipping away at it... recognizing it's a big jump from where I have been, those short runs of 3-4 might get shorter and 2nd split run might be ambitious, but need to get the split run going and even if I do my out/back 1.25, it's a win. I will need to modify for sunday fondo.. do 9 miles early on saturday, NYFG on Sunday.. this is good as it will hold me back to likely under 30M for this week.. If i can use these small bites with 2 big runs to get my mileage up, it will be a win..

also, working with Dr Stu, as a note, his personal strength IS the run, so i am in good hands.. A few years ago, at LP, i referred to him as the man with the "million dollar hands." btw, he had a sound rationale on why he didn't think needling would work. btw, it's not legal in NY, but he practices in NY & CT where it is and gave me an explanation of why it doesn't make sense.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Catching up...

Plugin I use is In Chrome, called Soapbox. Really intuitive to toggle between you, you/screen, just screen. There is paid hosting or your can connect with Gdocs I think.

You crushed those intervals...awesome!

Run weeks are good. Anything over 28mpw is a win right now, and the # of runs is greater than the mileage for the week. I will get more obsessed about the mileage after Al camp.

I defer to MilliOn Dollar Stu for Your hammy care. 🤣 He's the boss of your body...we just want that hammy to get happy!

Keep up those intervals...

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited May 15, 2019 12:03PM

Life issues yesterday, had to pick up jeep I bot for VT with ally and took 6 friggin hours.. should've been 2! did intervals this AM as per below.. week is ok as i can do 2nd bike Fri, just run sat, gran fondo Sunday..

could only get 8 intervals before i was really dying -

Full workout - http://tpks.ws/BSK3GO2GWMAGE6UOMEKFINLUJY

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 2:37PM

saw Dr Stu yesterday, have committed to 3x/ week. He's doing ART on the left hammy/Groin. He's got the exact spot isolated. Says I damaged a adductor, hammy compensated for it.

Breakthrough run today, roughly mile 5-6.5 of my run is up a hill, lately I've been doing 8:50s or slower up that hill, today was 8:19!! Feeling cautiously optimistic!!!

QUESTION - you have me doing 3x5' @ 250 - 265 today, I will be doing these tomorrow, b4 BRC I did all those weeks of 6x5 at 255 and 4x8 at 261 right before BRC do you want me to do more intervals? longer intervals? more intensity? or are we just limiting it because of NYGF on Sunday?

• Options

Congratulations on the jeep! I hope to see pictures soon to make me jealous. Yes, the animals are a bit lower because of Sunday’s work out. I expect you to still hit high numbers, we’re just gonna keep it to a total of 15 minutes because of Sunday. Remember to pack extra food for Sunday because I am guessing you were going to seriously bonk about halfway. Do your best to stay on top of nutrition into ride like a cheesy roadie drafting off of everyone!

• Options

animals = intervals - ROFLMAO!!!

will email jeep pics

there are 5 aid stations PACKED with tons of food(bagels(it's NY!), bananas, Clif bars, cookies, and I am sure, lots more.

Aid stations are located at miles: 17, 32, 45, 68 and 80. 

planning on short stops at 32 & 68 with a possibility of topping off one bottle at top of bear (45)

should I do a pancake breakfast on saturday to carb up?🤐

I plan on being THAT guy who is just drafting all day! but there are ALOT of hills, did I mention hills?

• Options

ok, re-entering training plan after giving self yesterday off. ran 3 mi this AM, did VASA sprint sets. Moved door to level 2 for the intervals. Amazing how ez it felt to do the 200s at the end when I moved it back to level 1. will work on pushing that more.

Will attempt the VO2 45" intervals later afternoon.

Tomorrow run 8in the AM and 2-3 PM

Thrs/fri/sat run 3 miles each

Sun run 9-10 off 1 1/2 hr bike.

likely going to VT this weekend, may do a few hours of skiing on the one trail at Killington on Mem day!

some MTB also. Lake probably too cold, so will do a swim at the rec center at Okemo if I don't get 3 VASA in by Friday.

We have a call Thursday, need to plan out through Friday, Al Camp.. Leave early AM Friday, so will want three swims next week between M-Th, likely won't run more than 5 at Al Camp, so have to try and get at least one good run before then, and should be discussing the stupid withrow ride..

He's got it front loaded with his friends Colin Martin (EMJ) and another guy who I rode with and is strong. If we can convince them, we have Mark Stahlkopf, Rich Stanbaugh, Paul Curtin & Matt Limbert, that's a really strong 8 man Train, plus we;d have Al Sagging us since he's racing Boulder... we can discuss. but the peer pressure may be too high to not do this!

• Options

Todays intervals brought to you by pain & suffering! 142 TSS day! R - S - B

• Options

@scott dinhofer Nice session! That's almost 5' above 95% VO2 max in a single session *your power at VO2 is 303 for reference. We want to try to get 10 to 12 minutes above that between all your sessions.

This is the money chart for our talk. You are "ahead " of 2017 you in all categories except 3' to 90' power (about a 12W difference). But you are stronger on the short side and after 2.5 hours you are 9W stronger, by 5h your are 20W stronger).

• Options

things for discussion on Thursday

1- review of fitness metrics, health check, etc.

2-planning on dates to work into training (we can plan these out in the coach thread here the week before, but wanted these factored in our long range thinking)

next week will depart for Al Camp on Friday, thinking M/W for the Vo2 work. try to get in 3 swims (1 in pool on Monday) Will bike with Paul C on Friday afternoon in CO.

June 15, have the Patriot half... could stop off for coffee on my way up, we should run a BBS file on this, for practice and review after. Need to discuss run strategy given where I am on that. Could buy you and girls ice cream on way back! June 16, twins graduation, rest day, will need it since Camp hoff 1st ride is Weds! (June 19-23)

July 4-7 - long weekend in VT, volume injection, OWS on the lake a few days!

July 11 (late afternoon) - July 14 - Hoff's personal mini camp in LP on the course. figure on normal camp Structure full distance swim in lake on Thurs eve, full bike + 6 mile bike on Fri. Call an audible on bike distance for Saturday, minimum 1 lap, could cut the out/back on 2nd loop or something like that, run 6 miles. Run 10-13 on Sunday, depart.

3-gravel camp discussion, if we really want to pull this off

4-BRC-have put it out there to a group of friends, have one - two that are considering it, let's discuss them and if appropriate for me to have them decide if they want in. I put it to them today to think hard, that the outsider opening would be soon.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2019 2:42PM

weekly recap

Swim - did first pool swim, pace is there, so that's good (1:47/100yd) acceptable from where I was. What was bad is that I clearly need to do VASA on door #2 ASAP, will also focus on doing more actual pool sessions, I know this comes back quickly, the VASA is a good base, but I am going to quickly work to 3x4000 yards in the pool and try for a few weeks with some 5000 yard wkos sprinkled in. Right shoulder with slightly torn rotator cuff could be better.

Bike - 2 good interval sessions, good Saturday ride, good Sunday 1.5 hr ride. Only thing missing is finishing the weekday workouts with the longer Z2 on the end. So I am missing an hour a week in Z2. that's important. This coming week I am going to do the club Tues Night HIll ride, so that's like 2 hours and Thursday I won't bother with the extra time since Friday begins Al Camp. QUESTION - assuming Thursday is the 45" intervals since I'll get longer efforts on the hill climbs Tuesday.

Run - good mileage. Week generally felt ok - good except my long run on Sunday. 9.8 miles in heat and humidity, stopped 5x to catch breath and get going. not a good sign.. hopefully a better week this week. got in 29 miles for the week compared to 27 the week before. Goal this week might be mitigated by al camp..

Body Comp - was a low of 151 after seeing 155 2 weeks ago. Focused, hoping to leave for Al Camp at 148 or lower. IMLP 2017 was 147... Staying focused should get me to LP at 140ish=goal

Also, this AM(edited Tuesday) run felt good, some decent speed and hammy is okayish... thinking I need you to look at the dates between return from Al Camp (I will have a light day on Wednesday the 5th as I am flying out after a short bike) Thursday I am thinking a medium run day, I am thinking a normal HIM taper from Friday through the following week for Patriot half... Let's see what i can and can't do. good chance to practice riding a BBS power file even though it's a flat course.. thoughts??

• Options

@scott dinhofer Thanks for the update. I wouldn’t recommend jumping to door #2 right away. This week do 1/3 @ D1, 1/3 at @ D2, 1/3 at D1. Then repeat after Al Camp…then the next week go 1/2 D2, 1/2 D2…then mid June you are D2…gotta have a progression here. 

I hear you on the Z2 time, but you are building that portion of your training through your epic weekends, not on a weekly basis. If you add in too much Z2 time then your ability to go hard in Z9 (!!!) will really be compromised. The easy stuff has to be easy. 

Runs can be hard..that experience is common….i ran on Sunday in VT and had the same experience. One run doesn’t mean you are in bad shape…walk, hydrate, continue. Your race ins in 2 months and you are on the right path, I swear! Smart food choices at Al Camp…you can only choose one each day: Beer? Dessert? Appetizer?  You can’t combine!!  And bring protein powder for pre bed shake so you are ready for the next day…pick your flavor of the micellar casein here: https://www.ascentprotein.com/products/micellar-casein

• Options

@Coach Patricki am planning on being stupid good on food at al camp.. too often people say, "with this amount of cycling you can eat anything"

bringing packets of Protein so I can have with me on rides, stop in a town, slug protein instead of cookies! I think the one exception is baked goods in leadville & Vail during withrows ride..

so, no go on the Z2 time after hitting intervals in midweek wkos? looking like today will be intervals as hill ride is likley to be rained out.

• Options

No extra time needed for you. Remember that your billet he to do that high-end work is predicated on your bodies recovered status. That additional zone 2 time is technically important but will undermine your ability to do the hard work we need right now. The exception to that are those longer weekends which you already have planned!

• Options

a few things -

need more timely responses than 6-7 days, please!

Al Camp. feel like I am struggling, you can see rides in TP, but did climbing around snowmass day 1, 55day 2, 100 day 3, 40ish? today, Stahlkopf and I both took off the castle creek road to rest a bit before the withrow big ride tomorrow. We have 6-7 people. I feel like I am struggling, but had a PR on the Owl Creek climb today.. (After eating cake in town!)

My lower back (disc issue) was killing me off the plane, so running didn't work the first few days and i decided to just focus on biking and will run on Thursday in NY. Saturday I am doing and OWS event in NJ, up to 2 miles, then will ride in Harriman with Lustigman at HIS pace.

we need to chat about whether or not I should be doing Patriot half.. I am thinking WTF Just go. You don't have any call availability on Calendly until 13th. Can you slot me in for 20-30 mins this Thursday or Friday at all?

• Options

Sorry bro. You asked me about no z2 when I had told you no z2 before 😂.

You are ok you need to eat more in the am. Don’t skimp while riding now.

Not Sure on patriot unless you can run. Yes to Friday shoot me times In EDT.

• Options

Flying home from Al Camp today.

Need rest of week schedule. Gonna try a short run on Friday/sat/sun

Saturday I am doing an OWS event in NJ with Lustigman,4 laps of a lake, 1/2mi each. Then we will go to Harriman and ride, I will ride at Andy's pace likely to keep it a good long recovery spin.

Will try to swim Thursday, Saturday & Maybe Sunday. Split run day on Sunday if legs are up to it, or a single run of 10-12 miles.

what to do Thurs bike? just go for a 1:15 outside ride? Something specific on trainer?

• Options

Thursday bike is just an easy ride on the trainer. Tour time, put in on the Alp to earn points towards your tron bike or something.

• Friday Vasa + 30' run
    • Saturday Swim + Aerobic Bike. You can do 5 x 30" max efforts at town lines or on short hiss. Ideally twenty minutes between each.
    • Sunday Split Run...then we shall see where you are at!
  • Options

thanks for the call on Friday -

did just shy of 1000 TSS last week, goal going forward is to hit 1000 every week! until taper

split run yesterday- 10 miles around 730 AM, 4 miles around 5pm - how did it feel? AM run was good, not like a few weeks ago when i ran 9. that said, hammy pain was evident, i was however able to try and push pace to where it was supposed to be when faltering in mile 8,9 & 10.. good learning. Run #2 felt impossible for first mile plus, but as expected, things opened up. To put this in perspective, I hadn't run since a week ago Wednesday (5/29) and even with the Al Camp volume, hammy's felt fine.

To do Patriot half or not this coming weekend? my thoughts are what is to be gained? I don't really care about it. Assuming I taper this week, It prevents me from having a normal robust training week this week. I won't have a normal week next week since I have my camp in VT.

With that thought in mind, Goal this week is three Swims, one will likely be OWS with a group. one in a pool, one on vasa, all three at least 3000, ideally 4000 yards.

Run 32-35 miles. Split run Weds, 9-12 mile run Sunday, 100+ mile bike on Saturday, 2 short interval sessions per your specs on Tuesday/ Thursday. (please put into FS)

OWS swim I did with Andy Lustigman in NJ was 4x 1/2 mile laps of a course, avg pace was 1:49/100 yards. work to be done, not concerned as long as I get in 3x/ week with volume.

Head space right now is that I do what I can to have the best race I can which will look like a good swim (for me) 1:08 or better; focus on learning how to nail the bike split(let's get me under 5:32). do what I can on the run, put myself out there for the first lap and hold on until the wheels come off (hammy issue), regroup, PRP injection early august, start the focus on LP or another 2020 race when I age up to 55.