Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Scott Dinhofer's Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Great call today...

(Tentative) Rules for Now through MidApril...what am I missing here?

• How to handle the super fatigue…just get that time in. If you can’t do the intervals, just get the ride time. It all adds up. 
    • Long ride #1 on Fridays so we "always" get that one in. 
    • 3 x Vasa is key…start with just adding time on it…even if it’s 10’ in the "other" sessions. Just getting started is the hardest part. 
    • 1 x long ride a week will move the CTL up…so think Race + Ride Time. Or WKO and Ride Time. Can you find a Friday Aerobic event on Zwift that you can piggy back on?
  • Options

Good call!

Bike

one thing we didn't discuss is that I am essentially doing the OS plans using Tuesday as a 6x5(5) and Thursday as the blast offs.

o I am going to try and move those to Mon/Weds so we get long ride Friday. Do we want to change up any of the rides after 1-2 more weeks to be zwift races?

o   In 1-2 weeks would we want me to do a Zwift race on Friday as a "base" for my long ride and follow it up with a CnC type of ride to get me to a total of 2.5 hrs for the day?

o   thinking long ride increases to 3 hrs in a few weeks.

Vasa

o   will do three sessions a week.

o   I usually do 2x200;2x150, 4x100, then 50s…

o   should be able to get some mix of sets that gets me to 1200-1800m per session.

o   I find that if I get it going 3x/week I will quickly get to decent wkos of 2500-3000 within 3-4 weeks.

Run

o  focus on frequency to gain volume

o  even if frequency is 2 miles on a bike day.. I don’t have to “make up” those miles later in the week

how do you make bullets in vanilla forums? is there a FAQ somewhere on bullets, bold, etc?

• Options

was expecting an answer on some Qs in the post above @Coach Patrick - managed to get 2 runs in here in Whistler... got FUBARed on the 3rd one by DLS change... then today came the snow!!! and it's dumping! awaiting Al's assessment of my TP file to tell me the TSS but it's between 78 & 132 for the day! skied, so hard... had one spectacular fall, so hard on chest.. definitely left a mark and a bruised rib..

no way to run tomorrow with the snow on the ground, so I may be only skiing from now until Wednesday and hope to reengage on Thursday with some form of blastoffs, or at least a 1 hr spin.. Whistler... get here.. this IS the epic mountain!

• Options

@Coach Patrick - have some Qs up there... (two posts up) can you answer...

Back from epic trip to whistler. Trying to do a Vasa & bike tonight, possibly a run.. Apparently have either bruised or slightly broken ribs, thinking only bruised, but man they hurt!

I want to get in a ridiculous week next week.. doing everything one day ahead starting monday

• Options

@scott dinhofer Sorry man, birthday and then buried this week. I figured you were loving the snow and I was going to hear all these epic tales when you got back!

I saw SS post on heliskiing...OMG my mind was blown. Not sure you can call what we do here on the EC skiing after I saw that!!!

If those ribs are super bad, you might need to elliptical to get in aerobic time without impact. 100% your call but you know you need to find a way to get the HR up.

I have updated your calendar on Final Surge (input side) and you can do and record on TP (output side). Here is the image. You don't have to VASA on the days I say, but there are three days in there. Weekends are still "open" for you In terms of aerobic time. I'd prefer you work in a longer run *80 to 90 mins* or skimo session in the 1.5 to 2h range...how does that sound?

• Options

Looks good.. check out this video, our guide shot it after we skied the run you can see down below. After the first three turns of the 1st run off the heli, I was like, "this is the euophoria someone feels on crack, immediate addiction"

btw, my avalanche course instructor is a guide and an ultra runner... one of the guys in the Avi class with me is the no 2 guy at the company that puts on the whistler Grand Fondo and the other one runs some running organization that promotes 5ks all over the world, he is doing Boston.. Epic week with Epic people! I tested the run today.. I think I will be ok.. just unreal that I can do that by slamming my chest into my knees!

• Options

IMPORTANT question. May take this week off from running to give ribs a break. What would you have me do extra on the bike? On bike days? On non-bike days?

will be in VT this coming F/SA/Su, with a bike & trainer and will get skimo on all 3 days

• Options

@scott dinhofer

1) addictive indeed. Unbelievable. More unbelievable you CAME BACK HOME. 🤣

2) I need your network. Literally. Sounds like you'll be hooking us up for the next few years with industry contacts.

3) For replacement WKOs, I want time at HR. So you can do the bike OR you can try the elliptical / stair master for variety. Personally I would dial in the epic climb on zwift and earn dropz for climbing!!!

Let me know how it feels now that you are "back" in normal world...

~ Coach P

• Options

UGGGGHHHHHHH - did you hear me scream at your house?

just "ran" 9 miles... it sucked.. hamstring is not good.. I have basically rested on running for 2 solid weeks, am i doing enough strengthening and conditioning, no...

did an epic ski tour on sunday and at the end left hammy and groin (satorious?) muscle were not happy. figured i had "rested" legs and decided to go for a 9 mile run.. left hammy was not happy by 5... I don't see how I am ramping up to do an IM in 20 weeks never mind trying to KQ... thoughts?

we have a call scheduled tomorrow. I had scheduled a calll for next thursday because my goal was to put in 2 solid weeks of work as my launch pad... but now I am wondering if I am just digging a deeper hole

• Options

03/28/2019 Call notes...

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

will check out the links tonight, thanks for getting that from Rob!

• Options

question, where on my schedule as you currently have it on FS would you insert body conditioning, weights sessions? i am thinking if i do an afternoon/evening bike that I could do weights after? or do I want to do them in the AM on a run day? or a bike day? so confusing! 🙃

• Options

@scott dinhofer that’s a great question. I can add value hear from a macro level standpoint, but really the most important part is where doing it works for your schedule. For example I have a tough time doing my core work in the morning or the evening. In the morning I am motivating and just trying to get out the door to train. In the evening I am winding down, and the last thing I wanna do is lay down on the floor and bust out a bunch of exercises.

So My compromise is getting the stuff done during the day. I will take three or four five-minute break from work and do some exercises on the floor as breaks between calls or just to get re-energized. For me that’s the easiest way to stay current with the exercises. Of course, this doesn’t mean that I am at a gym throwing kettle bells around. So there has to be some kind of balance.

Honestly looking at your schedule, I think the easiest days would be your weekend days. You’re not in a rush to get out of bed – anywhere. You’ve got 15 to 20 minutes on your own and a quiet space to get the work done. I see that’s where it goes.

• Options

the workout question above, was really more about when to do legs in the construct of a week? Doing leg strengthening always has a downstream effect on the next workouts.. Core I need to build up to every other day and then to every day, the office break is perfect for that and my hip exercises.

• Options

another Q - when the outdoor season ramps up, I am still thinking it's beneficial to do a strong amount of time indoors. whether doing intervals or Zwift racing... have read all the articles on how much harder trainer riding is than real riding.. Andy Potts, etc..

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 6:39PM

Agreed. Last year I did a TON of indoor stuff just for time's sake. I could ride 5 hours starting at 4am indoors, done by 9...vs 7 to 12 outside. And I was MORE than mentally ready for an IM. The key is getting there without going crazy! 🤣 Having "camp weeks" is really beneficial to help you stay the course, as hard as it may be.

~ Coach P

• Options

yo - i guess per sabo's post you are heading to Mallorca. get me a pic of you and that nice waiter at Tollos!

few things -

1-need you to help me nail down a date for filming my fitting with Todd, the two dates are weds 24th or Thrs 25th. My ideal scenario is to get up there around 10, have todd be done with me by 12, you and i go to lunch.. i leave! which date is better for you? I am sure you can crank on your laptop for quite a bit at Todd's place

2-Please take a look at my bikes this week. did the 6x5 on Tuesday, pushed the last two intervals at 270 instead of 265. did 3x15 this am and felt strong.. notice HR didn't peak at low to mid 160s, 10bpm lower... wondering if you can SWAG my proper indoor FTP off of this? or i can do my intervals at 250 next week. btw, the last race I did on Zwift moved me up to Cat B.. Need to work on getting zwift races on better dates. Going to do a longish 60-80 mile ride in Bear Mtn and on the NY Gran Fondo route with the QT2 (coached by TeePee architecht) friend, on Saturday.

3-runs are coming together, legs hurt from leslie Schneider beating me up. that said, i do see pretty good speed. what that means Is I am re-focused. seeing the bike strength and run strength coming in line are getting me jazzed. I let weight go a bit and now I am refocused and going extreme for a few weeks. Goal is to who up at BRC at 146 or under!

• Options

@scott dinhofer Yeah, off to the real watopia baby. 🤣 I posted to announcements as well just so the world knows it...

1) re Todd, I just replied. My bad!

2) I am encouraged by that riding; wondering if the decrease in running for short while opened the door here for some bike gains? note that one bid difference on the 3x15s this time around was your cadence. It was 5 to 8 rmps higher than your 3x10s from the week before. I think that you have found a great avenue here for gains...YES to 250! It's going to hurt, but you are in a great position to stretch for it.

3) yes, I think your run was just too much too soon. I am psyched that you were willing to take that step back. Now to keep building both, smartly, in tandem. Psyched to chase you around Blue Ridge!

• Options

Enjoy wattopia, remember, there is no spoon!

I think I injured something in the skimo race in january, it was too much too soon for the skimo muscles... and I re-aggravated it on my ski tour a couple of weeks ago.. Trying to build the run, should be at 20-25 miles this week, and I am just going to try and hold that a few weeks. my friggin hammys still hurt from what Leslie did to me on Monday! but just ran a solid 5.5.

trying for 3000m on the Vasa tomorrow AM, did 8x250 on monday and felt good. Going to do 2x300;4x250;7x200 or something like that!

• Options

something to think on.. did a group ride.. well i was alone for a lot of it, can see on my TP, basically the whole Bear Mtn Park area.. My buddy who was doing the 5 hr ride was much much stronger than me when we were together.. but he's been going out riding long rides all year while I skied. I know my cycling will come back on line. That said, the last 10-15 miles were a true sufferfest for me. I have to change my gearing on my road bike to allow for more spinning up hills.

http://tpks.ws/WPWBJ7B6JLZ4ARB6P4ZU7U74CA

I quit after 3 1/2 hours and 200 TSS, 45 miles. plan was to do 73.. so it felt like a fail.

Leg's have been dead for running, hammy's really huring and glutes really hurting from that ride. I can't imagine they still hurt from the work I did with Leslie last monday, but maybe?

things i have to be more religious about: foam rolling and stretching.. getting there on both. and using my normatecs.

thinking about trying to add in more bikes outdoors, even if easy spins of an hour.. just get a volume pop. If I can commute to work a couple of days a week, it's 9 miles with 1000' of climbing both ways, so that could be an interesting way to add some volume on non-bike days..

I've now had 4 days in a row with a run, and my goal is to essentially streak from now until the taper. minimum run of 1.25 miles for my ez out/back from my house on a sidewalk. Minimum goal of 22MPW.

here is today's run,http://tpks.ws/2ASM3AETRAIHH5PFTPZSP7SYZI not only were my legs hurting, I am convinced the Hoka Bondi 5 isn't what these shoes used to be.. they just don't feel as cushioned as my nikes do now.. going to read up on this..

• Options

@scott dinhofer Those outdoor rides suck. Especially the early ones. On hills. With high expectations. And low cadence.

The grade of the climb is 5.3% for 30 minutes of work. Your HR was low (138 is asleep-ish) but look at that ridonkulous Avg Cadence of 82. Your gears are WAY OFF for that kind of riding. Also, not sure how many other outdoor rides you've done...but not sure why you picked the hardest local course to start?

I say you get those gears fixed, get your cadence up to 90, and focus on riding outside more but not on the hardest stuff you have. Just a good long ride works.

Your volume pops are coming at BRP and AlCamp...you can do some long rides outside between now and BRC, but if you do hills you won't be able to do enough riding for it to count. I prefer The ride time vs hill time as we get started.

You really worked on that ride plus IT WAS YOUR FIRST RIDE OUTDOORS and they suck. Like your first long run of the year, etc...it hurts. I'd check your fit to confirm nothing's gone wrong, but I think you just got after it with bad gears on a tough course.

Anecdotally the newer HOKAS ain't what they used to be...but I can't tell you the new best shoe to get. We want run streak for time and frequency. Tell me you are warming up those hips first before running!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - love the pics in mallorca, haven't seen YOURS... cake please?!!

what ride did you pull ^^up there^^? I can't seem to find it.. Looks like you pulled a selection of the segment going up Bear?

yeah, the gears "seem" right as I have a 36 up front and a 28 in the back. Tomorrow a 11-32 is going on the back and I will try that out this coming weekend. Will be doing a hillyish ride again.. but will do 60+

depending on how that goes, i may drop front ring down to a 34 the following week. This is on the road bike, I think on the tri bike I should be fine since the drivetrain came right over from the P5.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 2:59PM

lil update - 1st ride with FTP bumped to 250, did 6x5' @ 267-271, felt okay... trying to run a cupl miles tonight. ... cake pics!!!??

also, sneaking in here, a note, if nothing else to remind me, need to discuss long term ways besides strength training to build all the muscles that broke down from Skimo.. I am eyeing all these spring trips to Mt Wash with envy on my feeds. Next year will need to do those and integrate to plan if i am still doing Ironman

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 1:37AM

Ok - update...

Swimming - doing 2 VASA a week, trying to get 3 this week and 2 before going to NC next week. No resolution to ANT+ problem at my house, but observationally, I find the Vasa @ Jill's house "harder" and my power is lower and times /100 are slower... not concerned, it will make me stronger! I did check the door to make sure it was locked on #1

biking - all good. 3+ hours on zwift on Saturday, Did 80 on Sunday, had a 10-32 installed in the rear, new chain and much better, sometimes got out of the saddle to climb and give lower back a break. Did ODZ Coffee ride this AM.

Running. Was hoping to run Saturday & Sunday at least 3 miles each and just didn't happen. Life got in the way Saturday and Sunday legs were just fried. Life and rain got in the way yesterday. Goal is to run 20-24M this week over the next 6 days. next week goal is 23-25 including a morning run every day in NC. Friggin hammies hurt, but i've gotta do the work and focus more on my stretching and foam rolling, which I am not doing enough of.

Weight - not where it should be and I am now aggressive on it.. I will be 142 by Al camp and 140 by camp hoff 2 weeks later which is 5 weeks ahead of IMLP.

your training plan for me ran out this past weekend, Have continued the same focus, but if you want to load me up, please do. Specifically looking for guidance on here to BRC. what should I do on bike sat/ sun this week? was thinking progressing to 100, find less climbing (probably would be 5000') and perhaps use TT bike..

Cheers

• Options

Vasa...let's plan on Door #2 when you get back from NC, deal?

I have adjusted the next two weeks for you in Final Surge...We can talk about how to handle the ramp up after camp, for now execution o the next 10 to 12 days is paramount! #lookoutblueridgeherewecome

~ Coach P

Ps - Mental Note...Fall Prep for Skimo! ✅

• Options

Vasa - I am assuming you will be tossing in some shorter intervals.. this one being harder than the other is interesting. It's like Jill's feels 1-2 settings higher than mine...

Bikes - you gave me a 4x8 for Thursday at 260, have done 6x5@270... feel like I should start these at 265 and adjust down or up as appropriate?

• Options

Yes to starting at 265...if we go to 8' from 5', then dial the numbers down a bit to accommodate the work load. Hope that new bike is fitting great!

~ Coach P

• Options

I have always hated using the tri bike on the trainer, particularly as wattage will be diff than it is on the road bike... would rather do these new intervals later on the road bike and will. I am going to try and ride the tri bike on long ride Saturday, will start with a one hour loop so i can switch bikes if need be.

• Options

Ok, sounds good.... #youaretheboss

• Options

ok - almost did the 4x8s successfully... almost 2 mins into the wko, i placed my TV remote on latpop, it hit the tab key, unbeknownst to me that apparently advances you do the next interval in the workout.. the final 5'rest interval (insert homer simpson "doooooh" emoji! )

were they hard, yes, the 4th one would have been a struggle, but that's how we advance FTP, right?

with a target of 265 i did 261 for all three intervals.. 257 for the 1st 1:45 of the 4th interval...

going to do a double run of 3 miles each tomorrow plus vasa.. should enter the weekend at Same TSS level as last week.