Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Scott Giljum's Micro thread

Comments

• Options
    Scott, I think your heart is in the right place even if your head isn’t. I am no surprised where you are at right now (it takes one to know one) so surprise me with how you handle the transition.

1. You can still run, but let’s keep it to 3 x 15’ off of those early spins. As long as it feels okay. Everything in moderation.
    2. I like the yoga…really work on those hips.
    3. Consider some core work for the Mon/Wed/Fri windows to complement the yoga. Doesn’t have to be rocket science, but should include front plank, side plank (Both) and back plank….all with forearms on the ground. Then do Fire Hydrants for the glute medius…read this but don’t watch the video: http://www.stack.com/a/fire-hydrants

Mon - Spin 45’ Run 15’
    Tues - Yoga
    Wed - Spin 45’ Run 15’
    Thu - Yoga
    Fri - Spin 45’ Run 15’
    Sat - Run 15’, Spin Outside
    Sun - Swim or Day Off

Let’s aim for 4 weeks of consistency. Goals are:

16 rides total
    16 runs total
    12 core strength mini-sessions
    8 yoga sessions
    4 swims

Ps, remember you only lose when you actually give up. Beard or no beard.
  • Options
    Well P, that was short lived. I ride as we laid out once and then a quick run. Pain was back, not in full force, but it was only a matter of time. I think I am going to try and take a little down time and start working on stretching, some body weight strengthening, and yoga or something like that to do both. Not sure if I will hit maintenance mode, but it could be a little bit. Just wanted to give you an update, though I wish it was a better one.

On a related note, I am glad to see you were able to get back in the bike! I hope this is just the start of the rebuilding of the machine!
  • Options
    Scott, what a grind. I hear you. I spend more time with my foam roller and rumble roller and plank timer than my wife. image If you haven't already, google any Kelly Starrett video with hip mobilization. He's got some great ideas with a big rubber band to help loosen the stick hips...and the core strength really makes a difference as well. IF you go on MM you can post to the dash, but you know where to find me regardless. Let me know what you are thinking!!!
  • Options
    OK P, I have been out for a bit and feel better, so I am trying to reboot, again. I have a basic idea of what I want to do with my week and see if I can stand the load. With all the rest I have had, I should, but we will see. That all said, I am signed up for IMWI and IM Lou. Originally WI was the A race and Lou was one I got talked into by my cousin who also does IM. Now I am starting to think that WI may be a lost cause (it just seems like a LOT of work to get my butt in the shape I would need to be even respectable there) and Lou might be possible, though at a diminished level. IF (and I know it is a big IF based on how this year has gone particularly) I can go for a couple weeks solid and still feel ok, given where I am at, what is a reasonable expectation? Am I underselling myself? Or am I fooling myself into thinking it can be done? I guess I am just looking for a reality check.

As to what I am planning to execute:
    Mon - Short run AM, lunch swim (starting with 2k, hoping to build to 3k fairly shortly)
    Tues - 1 hr spin AM, lunch run
    Wed - Short run AM, lunch swim
    Thur - same as Tues
    Fri - Same as M and W
    Sat - a bit longer ABP ride, short brick run
    Sun - Maybe ABP ride, maybe a slot that will ultimately become my long run
  • Options
    Scott, I think that your best bet is to make a sustainable week with some targets. Then focus on process and making that stick vs outcomes. You aren't in a place where you can compare every session to a "level of preparedness" at IMLou. And doing so will really set you back.

So goals would be something like this.

Level One: All sessions completed, regardless of time.
    Level Two: All sessions completed, time targets hit (so nail down what you are thinking for ABP on weekends, etc).
    Level Three: All sessions completed, with time hit and some intensity added (I am thinking harder swim 1-2x, and ABP effort on bike).

Give yourself four weeks for each...and you are looking at the last month to Louisville (a few key long rides and runs).

Maybe go 3 weeks for each.

I am not trying to underestimate you or hold you back, rather I want to make sure that you are in the best position to move forward.

You could still go to WI to have fun...and swim and ride, but I wouldn't run at all...just use if for your camp weekend and mojo building. Solo trip.

What do you think?
  • Options
    I know one of the most frustrating things is when you tell an athlete what they should do, but since it was not the answer they wanted to hear, they come back with another idea more in line with what they wanted. Unfortunately, I am going to be that guy a bit right now. As my coach, you have all rights to tell me I'm dumb and don't do it, but what I am thinking isn't too far from what you have. The only thing I am looking at differently is skipping Level one and moving to level 2 to start. Basically I have some time/distance ideas that I would like to hit. If I can do that for three weeks straight and still feel good, I think I could start to add in more of the other stuff. This might make WI more plausible, though still highly unlikely, but put me in a much better place for Lou, at least potentially. I know that I won't be able to get the past two months back to get to where I need to, but I am feeling better, and much like last year, I want to see what I can do.

As for the ABP ride, I put that in basically thinking that I would just go outside and ride to start without much thought of power and then eventually dial that in. I have a loop that is about 40 miles that I use. I basically was planning on doing that until I finish.

One last overall plan type question. Since this year is basically blown up, at least for any real chance of qualifying or getting close, I have been thinking about the following year a bit. Again, not going IM crazy and that, but if you could pick an IM for me, based on my what you know, which one would you pick?
  • Options
    Scott -

Don't think I'm frustrated, one of my favorite parts about the Team is the rapport that I have with each and every one of you as athletes. I am just a coach, you are the boss. :-) Besides, it keeps me on my toes.

I can accept the fact that you want to head up to level II. I'm not necessarily down with you attempting to train with an eye to being competitive at this point. I think that's a decision you should be making in a few weeks.

As long as you can try and keep that level of assessment apart from how you push your body in each training session, I think we should be okay. Does that make sense?

As for next year and planning, that's a great question. I think I would honestly pick a flatter race that had harder conditions. In other words, your biggest advantage is your mental acuity and ability to execute. While other folks get destroyed on hills, you also suffer as well. I think that gap is enough for you not to be able to close it down on the run. Whereas a flatter course with heart conditions could allow you to still ride fast and come down to better execution on the run.

To that end I would consider a hotter race. I can't remember when Texas will be but that's an option. given the change in the overall calendar for Ironman races, I'm honestly not sure when another half of it would be. Clearly IMCDA was epically hot last time that I'm not sure if that's consistent. It will be interesting to see this year. What do you think?

• Options
    P,

I understand what you are saying on the training vs race prep mode type of thinking. At this point I am doing what I am doing with the mindset that I will need to get ready at some point, but it is more in the background.

As for planning considerations, it sounds like the old timing for Lou would have been a good one. The heat scares me a bit, but I see your point that it will destroy everyone else as well. The concern I had with TX is that it doesn't get steamy gross in St. Louis until late May. I am afraid I would not be ready for the heat in time. Also, why does it show as TBD? Are they messing with the calendar again? CDA would time better for the purpose of getting used to the heat, though when I look at historical weather it seems last year was very much an outlier. I see some climbs in there, but I haven't been so I don't have a good point of reference. Should I be worried about heat adaption?
  • Options
    No, heat adaptation is a function of better fueling and nutritional execution. I believe you have the mental toolkit to be successful there. Or at the very least, it's a faster track to you being successful relative to your peers given your strengths.

But let's face it, there is always something to be scared of on race day. :-)

Master yourself, and you have truly nothing to fear.

~ Coach P
  • Options

P,

So I have tried again and can't find consistency, again. So now I ask, thinking not of doing either Moo or Lou this year (bummed, was super bummed a few weeks ago when that reality came crashing in), what would you design for me to do for a few weeks just to get back in a groove. I am fully prepared for this to feel too easy (as it has the last few times I have started it up), but will promise to not go beyond (which has landed me in trouble pretty much every time). At this point I don't have any restrictions other than I am probably fatter and more out of shape than I have been in a very long time.

On a side note, what is up with IMTX? I know there were issues with the bike course, but I would have thought that would have been resolved.

On a side side note, when I played rugby, I used to deal with plantar fasciitis.  It went away for the most part over the last few years but I have started to feel it again the last month or so.  I know you are not a doctor, but what gives?  I haven't put on that much weight! I guess I ask a bit as I am a goldilocks when it comes to shoes.  I am wondering if that could be the cause.  Or if it is my relative lack of activity allowing things to tighten up.  Just curious.

• Options
    Scott, I never want to put myself in the position of making decisions for others. And while I am not doing that here, I think that you are finally coming to terms with the need for a year "off" from the hard core stuff. And that's okay. You don't get fat forever. Or lose your mojo forever. You can either let life / your body tell you how it's going to be....or you can make the call and adjust accordingly.

I say we keep you in that seat of control and slowly back away from those races.

I don't think the basic week needs to be anything complicated. For me, my current rules are:

1) Do core every day in AM.
    2) Attempt to do flexibility every night in PM.
    3) If I have time during the day, then ride or swim.

In your case, I suggest you turn off the swim for a while. It'll always be there.

I would reboot as a balanced bike / runner (run only didn't help you recently). So I'd plan on three good rides a week: Tues / Thurs / Sat.

Top goal is getting three rides in! The Tues / Thurs are as you feel, but some FTP time would be nice. Saturday ride is in the 50 mile range and has ABP written all over it.

The other days are run days...call it three runs per week (so we have a day off, ideally on Sunday for max family time). Nothing flashy here...just time.

Then I say we look out from there...when you do 18 rides and 18 runs, we can talk next steps. That should be 6 weeks from now if you are consistent....but if you have interruptions or lay offs it could be 8 weeks, or 9.

The muscle you use to control your day and training is as fragile as the rest of your real body. Let's nurture it and get it back on track!

PS re Texas...I think there is some real intraction on the ground there. WTC can't afford to have another 2016 scenario, esp with the weather issues, but that only works with a compliant local element. That doesn't exist outside of the Woodlands right now...

I don't think you are a chubmeister, it's the activity...tighter calves and hammies. Roll that out at your desk with the golf ball and calves at night, no need to push yourself in running into pain right now.

Keep me in the loop!!
  • Options
    P,
    Just a quick update. I started back in earnest on July 9. As you have suggested (multiple times, I am just too stubborn to listen the first time), I have cut out swimming. I will likely start to work some cords back in the routine, but right now I am focused on the bike and run. As for that, I have biked seven times and run 8 times. I have had one off day. The typical week at this point has looked something like this:
    M-run 30-45
    T- bike 1 hr, so far just spinning, but mentally trying to work up to FTP, over lunch I may do a short run.
    W - run 30-45
    R - bike 45-1hr, putting in some FTP now. Over lunch I may do a short run.
    F - Run 30-45
    Sat and Sun - 40-50 mile bike outside

With the heat dome and no pending race, I have been doing most of my running on the treadmill, at least on the days when I do two things. Otherwise I have been keeping the runs short (which is a mental fight because I want to run more, but I know where that gets me).

As for pain, other than tightness in my hips (I have been doing a lot of stretching and exercises with limited effectiveness, at least for now), I haven't really dealt with too much. I feel I am starting to get back on track (knocking on a ton of wood right now), though dragging my butt out of bed in the morning is still proving to be very hard.

I just wanted to give you a quick update and get any feedback if you had any. Also, I am thinking a bit harder on IMTX. I want to get a bit further along, though I worry about it selling out whenever it opens to the public. Thoughts? Thanks P.
  • Options
    Scott, I think you are in a good place right now! image I like it and let's keep it rolling no need to think about swimming at all. And let the FTP just be one day...spin Tuesday with some stretching....and then let the Sat/Sun rides roll up to ABP first. Let's get that ABP back...then we can talk "more" FTP....I don't mean crush yourself, but do some "tempo" riding then, when done, go back and see what the dial says (don't ride & dial at same time right now).

I'd like you to consider some massage or ART work for those hips. You are going to need help to jump start them...let me know about that.

Feedback is keep it rolling. Keep doing new routes. Sleep in if you don't feel it (now is not the time to FORCE it). You are dancing with the devil, and you are underprepared (as opposed to previous fitness levels) so don't push it.

IMTX is up to you. It hasn't really sold out in the past, and there's always charity...you could go for it and then defer to later if not ready...but I don't think you HAVE TO do an IM to get better at this point.

Part of me wonders if the IM dance / constant volume has been the trigger for this, and if so, how to get around that.
  • Options
    Hey P,
    I got your bump and wanted to give you an update. The new plan has been going fine so far. Last week and the week before (at least the tail end) were a bit off because of vacation. I did some running but the bike was set aside (it did not travel with me). I did try to hop on it this morning, but there was an issue with the front gears (I am stuck in the little ring), so I have to get by the LBS. I had them check it out before I left and I thought we sorted it out. It would seem not, so we will see what is up with that. Assuming I can get that fixed this week with the pending work tsunami, I assume the routine will be fine.
    What should I be thinking about at this point? It is odd to not have any target races on the calendar to at least have in the back of my mind as motivation if nothing else. What changes should I make to the routine (if any) at this point? As always, feedback is welcome.
  • Options
    Scott, I don't see the need for changes really....as you get fitter and stronger, you'll want to do a bit more. For now, it's just build a consistent, fit and healthy engine. It's not sexy per se, but it's what you can control. Tell me how you are doing with any streaks or consistency...maybe we set some targets in that space!?
  • Options
    I finally do feel like I have caught a bit of a groove, though work may change that as it has really stepped up. No streaks at this point, though I am always tempted to do a running streak. At this point though I think my groove might be a bit too fragile to do that. Once I feel a bit stronger and back on my feet solidly (I am hoping a handful of consistent weeks of work will give me that) then I can start to play around a bit more with that.

Two other things:
    1. I'm not worried per se as I don't have a race to contend with, but my weight has grown I will say. I have often thought my race weight is pretty aggressive, but I am way above that right now. It doesn't help I just got back from vacation in France (pastries anyone?) but I am trying to reign that idiot back in a bit.
    2. Since I have no race this year, I am thinking about next year. Not really in a this race or that race type of way just yet, but next year I turn 40 (my birthday is in late August, gifts are always welcome ;-). I certainly would love to qualify for Kona, but I don't really control that and am likely still not close enough to really think that is a good possibility (I mean, I would have had to be 40 minutes faster to qualify at IMWI last year and that is a LOT of time). I have read the birthday challenge, I have thought about some stupid ultra at a fun/challenging location or something like that since I like the running more than any of the other disciplines. I have thought about a long bike ride across the state or something dumb like that as well. I am just trying to figure a way to prove to myself that I am not as old as I actually am! Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you on Strava. image

It's the process that matters..so you are right to focus on that vs anything else at this point.

Dealing with weight gain without a big program isn't easy. Eating clean (can still be yummy) is the first step...so incrementally push that bad stuff out. You can be fit and not super skinny...when it's time to ramp up (and you are ready), skinny will come. image

I hear you on the Epic Thing...we are about to create an Epic Forum where your question could live...here are some thoughts in no particular order:

+ 40 miles on your 40th
    + Birthday Challenge is easy....
    + Epic bike ending at brewery with friends...we had a guy bike like 200 miles and end at brewery. But early night.
    + Could do ^that^ but with a weekend trip with buddies...bike 100 to brewery and overnight...bike home next day (mail clothes).
    + Consider a RAAM qualifier event (400 miles?)
    + Rim-2-Rim run like Withrow?

The Team might have more...
  • Options
    P,
    So I had a few things I wanted to get your feedback on. To update you, I have been increasing the running, still no swimming, with a couple hour spins on the bike per week to keep a touch of balance and sanity in my life. I have had a pretty good six or seven weeks with more of the consistency/focus on the running as I seem to enjoy it more, basically meaning if I am going to shag a workout or skip one to catch up on another, I usually will ditch the hour spin. My questions are these:
    1. As I have been running, I have not had too many longer runs, with an occasional 9 or 10 but more typically is 4.5-6.5. I have noticed the ability to control my heart rate has been terrible to put it kindly. I am not sure if this is a function of not being in tip top shape (though I don't feel too bad, but clearly not the mile destroyer when at top fitness), or the heat/humidity/brutal dew point, or some other cause. It has become frustrating to say the least that I seem to run a decent 4-5 miles and have slowly worked myself up to max heart rate and I need to stop or pop. The HR also seems to jump exponentially in that I feel like I am doing a decent job in the first few miles keep the HR low, but when it drifts just a small amount in the mile one or two, it has become a big jump by mile 4 or 5. Secretly I have just been waiting for the heat to break and assume that will make everything better. I know it will help no matter what, but any thoughts you have on that would be appreciated.
    2. So I am thinking I want to build myself into the biggest (not literally) and baddest runner I can be. With that in mind, and the knowledge that over the last six weeks I have averaged between 25 and 40 (I started low and have been around 35-40 the last few weeks) and running 5 or 6 days a week, what kind of program would you put together to make me a good runner? I am looking for both an increase in speed (at least if my body can support it) and ability to eat up distance. I know I might not be able to have both, but ideal world I would get both. Thoughts?
  • Options

The intersection of summer weather and your lack of fitness is unfortunate timing..you aren't running a race, so run until you need to stop and walk a bit. Zero consequences and a better run (and less need for recovery, less chance of damage, etc).   I am in the same boat here in RI...cooler days are worth 15 to 20 seconds per mile easy....

As for the run thing, we can totally do that. But first. Let's get you into a cycle. Right now you are really ramping things up and we need to be smart!

I'd like this week to be 200 minutes again...then you can do three weeks as 350, 380, 410...then down to another 210...and then ideally up to 400, 430, 460....

I need you to be progressive enough, with recovery to earn the right to go faster. Show me you've mastered patience, your ego, and the process!!! image

Evil P

• Options
    First, I like the graph. I am a data dork, so that is right up my alley. I assume those are run minutes only, which seems to tie to my Strava output. I guess my only counterpoint would be that going from 150 minutes to anything larger looks like a big ramp up but largely just represents me getting off my butt a bit more. I do hear you on the build 3 weeks and then pull back for a recovery week. In fact, I was hoping you would help me define what that should look like because I know I tend to slip into the routine of just run more each week, and I know how that ends. I will say I have been thinking about a rest week and what that should look like, but I had not started that way this week, so I will either scale back this week (maybe not all the way down to 200, but it could get around there) or do it next week with a better approach to a full week.

I will keep you posted on how it is going, but how many months in a row do you see this being the program? I don't ask because I am impatient with it, but because I like to have a game plan and a timeline. As for mastering those three, it could take the rest of my days to actually accomplish that! Seriously though, my ego has been knocked down enough that I am basically ready to do what I am told without much fuss. Patience is not my strong suit, but as long as I can still progress (even in small bits), I should be good. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    Scott, yes, strava. Helpful to show what I see sometimes.

A recovery week (early on) would be to run every other day for 200 minutes total. Then you can build up per my notes in that post ^above^.

More cycling is okay, not necessarily HARDER cycling but more cycling. We can build you into a beast, but it's baby steps right now. image

How is the core stuff going? We need a tracker for that too... http://bit.ly/2bP0hjG
  • Options
    Core stuff is going well. I typically do sit ups, butt raises, and some planks each day. I will work on the run clock as well and keep you posted.
  • Options
    Staying tuned to see what you come up with!!!! image

~ Coach P
  • Options

OK P, so I have been thinking, this time about next year. Here is what I have started to think, but wanted some perspective on it. Before I go into any of this, I will say that I do realize the building back to a normal fitness level is still needed, though I can certainly tell I am much closer to that. As I have said before, I want to do something(s) next year to celebrate my 40th. As such, I was thinking about two items, at least at this point. First, as I have been feeling better and more fit, I have started to think about taking advantage of aging up and trying to rip up an early IM, maybe Texas. Much like last year, thinking about Kona as the ultimate goal, but more realizing it is a squeeze the most out of what I can do. Second was a 50 mile race in CO in July. My thought was that coming out of the IM, I should be at marathon fitness, and to make the transition to the running shouldn't be as hard. That would leave the end of the year to do something else, or to spend as much time as possible recovering. Or I could do a later season IM, some other fun stuff stashed around it as my "yeah, I'm officially an old dude". 

As for the IM, one other thought I had was this.  I am trying to be as strong a realist as possible.  With that, I have been thinking about can I actually qualify, even under the best circumstances.  The reason why I say this is that if I probably can't (nothing is out of the realm of possibility, but I am still a realist), then I should be thinking about races that I want to do/will be fun/cool location or whatever and just bring what I can to the game that day.  Otherwise, I should be more specific on the venue to try to maximize my chance of punching a ticket (or at least put up a number I will look back on and know I nailed it).

In case you couldn't tell, I am a planner and feel most comfortable having some markers in my mind to keep me moving forward. Saying all this, would this plan make sense/be doable? Again, I know I have fitness to get back, but I know that about a month and a half of solid and consistent work will get me a long way towards that. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

• Options
    Scott, is it just me or are all of our messages bipolar? I feel like one message we're shooting for the moon and then the next message we're trying to pick you up off the floor.

I feel like we have a pretty good relationship which is why I'm okay speaking candidly to you. I don't think it's a good long-term decision to lock yourself down into "go for Hawaii mode" into Texas. we are coming off of some rest and recovery for you and your currently in the rehab phase. I would rather you spend the better part of next year on the comeback trail, in a smart, healthy, and progressive way. along that path you can certainly include fun stuff like crazy races. and we pick an end of season race that you can dial should the stars align.

In other words, I'd rather see you continue this nice gradual progression now. Pick fun races that will make you fit in challenging early. Then at about three months out we make a call as to whether or not you have the health and fitness and bandwidth to make a push to Kona.

It's okay to make insane promises to oneself when we are down and out. That's not the issue..it's the timeline for achieving those goals that matters more!

as always, I am super happy to talk with you on the phone. image

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Scott, thanks for the call today and for putting up with my BS. So here's what I see for you...the basic week you keep blowing up...

So I like 2 x 10' twice a week, then a bonus ride more at ABP...get to work! We should see FTP numbers go up over this fixed workout. Run as you like, but no longer than 60' in any one session. And yes to the swim cords / no swimming.

Plan on ^that^ for three next weeks starting 9/19....and I'll check on your race ideas when you post them!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    P,

Thanks for the call, even if it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel!

I was looking at races, particularly thinking about the "can I get there for a weekend or two or three" to hit the course to dial in the familiarity. The three that are possible are Wisc, Lou, and Chatt. Chatt is probably on the outside of the range (I think it is like a 7 hour drive) and the swim works against me (my strength, not others) though team mojo would be awesome. If those are the two options, Lou wins by an hour. It also seems (though I have not ridden or driven it) to be a bit flatter course than Wisc, so maybe that is a go.

Outside of that I had a few thoughts. First, just little stuff I normally do. There is a half mary around tax day here every year that I typically will sign up for. I could go for the full if I wanted. OR I could sign up for a 50k to scratch the ultra itch. 

I honestly have never done a half iron. I have had a hard time in the past justifying the cost and logistics of the fam, though I am probably just making worse than it actually is. Maybe I can throw one in that isn't too far from home (Kansas and Branson, while I understand brutal events, were much easier from a logistics perspective. No one wants to race in the mid west in the middle of the summer, who knew?). I actually prefer the camps to the races, though cost always crops up as an issue. I was not able to go to TOC camp this year, and when I talked to Rich about it, he said we could roll it forward a year. Not sure if that was a real offer or not, but if so, that could be a great fit. Even if not, I can see about bucking up to get there. 

I am sure I will pick up a run race here and there and have thought about creating some kind of big bike week or two along the way. Not quite as defined as I want or as I assume you imagined, but what do you think?

• Options
    Scott, always good to talk...great to hear your voice. Now I think of you every time I roll the window down on the freeway.... Hahahaha. image

My thoughts for you:

1. Go Lou. Proximity wins, opportunities for recon training (Even if not a friendly bike course, so bring lights for bike). Hell, I would plan on staying at comfort inn in la grange (there's even a pool with masters: http://bit.ly/2cqk7VJ) and forget downtown Lou.

2. Yes to TOC, so see if Rich is doing that again in 2017 or if the offer stands...worth knowing so we can plan around if that's the deal.

3. I like the idea of a run -oriented OS that pushes you out into a few run weeks to a 50k . Then you change hats to ride (not run) for a while into TOC...then it's back to thinking a Half and then Lou...

What say you?
  • Options
    OK, isn't this the message where I tell you the world is ending? Just kidding. I am game, though hearing the course is not very bike friendly isn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I guess I will have to deal (bring on the road rage!). I checked with R and TOC is a go and I'm in. As for the run oriented OS, I will be honest, you just tell me what to do and I will get the work done as best I can. I'm not sure how you want to proceed with that, so just let me know if you would.  As for a half, I am a bit indifferent, Steelhead looks like the most reasonable, though dates might matter (I have an all hands work meeting that might conflict). 

One other question (largely unrelated). I likely have room in my budget for one big item (at least I am telling myself I do). I have been debating a few items with various cost points, but I was just curious your opinion. I have been thinking about:

1. Normatec boots (speaks for the themselves)

2. A new road bike - According to my bike shop guys, mine is likely in need of some replacement work that will have to change a significant amount around the gearing (something about shimano changed the shifters, which changed a lot of the ratios etc that would require some serious upgrades on my end). Part of my thought on that was, heck, I could just get a new sweet roadie.

3. Ventum. I have a P3, it works well, but I have never found a good BTA solution for me, and all the various features of that thing look sweet. Combine that with the discount, and it is in the running.
  • Options
    I think it's time for you and I to fire up your spreadsheet again just to lay out even from a macro perspective. that's very helpful to me. Here is a link to the sheet, so drop in the events as they are adding up: http://bit.ly/2cYrxwP let me know when you're done please.

don't just bring a little rage, I suggest you invest in some lights...

+ Rear: http://bit.ly/2cvUdjn
    + Front: http://bit.ly/2cYrKAa

in terms of running over the winter, we need to be very mindful about your paces. As I was reminded last winter, and still suffer today, you cannot significantly rent run mileage and maintain a low run mileage speed. Things just break down. So I need to think about how we would map it out over the top of your out of season experience. When you hit the spreadsheet, please take a minute to identify between one and three potential ultra races that might fit your schedule.

your question about the budget is a great one. I love my boots, but I only use them at select times of the year. I think you should put your money where you'll be spending your time which is number two or number three. Part of me says that the deal on the Ventum may never get better. And you'll also be really and she rides such a sexy machine. But of course, you can only ride that so much during the year due to weather constraints, love for your bike, etc.

your road bike, on the other hand, is a tool you can use any time of year. And if you get a nice one, like Coach Rich, because bus to a decade. I think either way you go, you will win. I can find reasons for both. image

Maybe put this one to the forums?