Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

2015 TX IM how's it going!

Comments

• Congratulations to your husband Dana!! I THINK I was tracking him (some guy with your last name from the Woodlands, so I figured it HAD to be him). Looked like he had some strong times. Nothing you cant beat though. image

Sounds like you've had some fun these last couple weeks. Poor Ed is going to be tired from pulling me on the swim, so he wont be able to tow you and your skateboard on the bike. image

Seriously though, time to buckle down and get some consistency going. There's only a couple more chances to get some good volume on the bike, so make sure to take advantage of that. It's starting to get hot and humid here at home.

• FWIW, if there is rain on race-day, I will be thoroughly prepared. Chances of rain for this weekend (just like camp weekend a few weeks ago) 80% Friday, 90% Saturday, 80% Sunday.
  • Yeah, I can now check the box: slept with an Ironman. ZZzzz kind of sleep not the overshare kind. He did great and I am very proud of him. No plans to beat his time, I just want to finish; that sounds so lame but it is true.

Got back to work and the bike and run felt good. I tried to watch Coach P. video for how to prepare for this RR week but it would not play. I wasted to much time doing laundry and going through emails so I had to stop to get the work out in. Later I will try wiki and the link and hope it works for me.

Be careful and stay safe riding in the rain.
  • I'm in the same boat Chris.  I do my RR on Thursday and looks like rain!  BOO!
  • Hey Dana! Love your update.  Sounds like you are getting it done too! Don't be afraid of RR!  Just be READY for it image  We can all do it if we want to image  Do keep us posted on how you do!  You got this girl!
  • Man. I'm not complaining by any means, but I AM SO TIRED. Feel like I can't get enough sleep, but I'm usually in bed and asleep by 9:15 PM and up at 5:45. 10 hours is really my "awesome" sleep, but who has time for that when you have to go to work, right?!

Focusing on hydrating, humidity has kicked up here in Mississippi. Long run tomorrow---looks like rain for us this weekend, hopefully will let off for Saturday afternoon at least---I know we can ride in the rain,  but my anxiety level is high thinking about wet roads and drivers hitting a puddle, hydroplaning into me. 

• No reason to worry about race simulation. Just a long bike around race effort. Which is easy effort compated to the intervals we have been doing. And continued use of race nutrition that we practice every workout.

Are folks worried about cold and rain riding outside? Then ride inside! To my mind, in many ways, easier to simulate race day indoors with ability to have all the nutrition and hydration needed.
  • RR day one complete. All things prepped for tomorrow and my bed is calling. It went well, I learned a lot about my nutrition and I am going to try implementing that tomorrow. We had a little rain here as well but I was inside on the trainer, nice and dry. Power went out when I had only 23 min. left of the run but I kept moving to keep my heart rate up until the power came back then hit it again. Some days take more motivation than others.
  • Way to go Dana... rest up and go get 'em again again tomorrow!

• RACE REHEARSAL IN THE BOOKS!  I did 1 hour swim at 5:30am, then drove out to my bike destination (takes about an hour). I PROUDLY did 100 miles on the bike (VERY WINDY!) then the HOUR RUN (VERY HOT 85 degrees!).  It's DONE! It was tough around mile 85-100.  The run was painfully slow and a little depressing! But I think had I had support (ice, more water, etc) it would have helped to get my body temp down.  Do I really have to ride again tomorrow? I'm beat! image  
  • GO DANA!!!! Sounds like you rocked it!
  • Kim way to go.  That is fantastic!

Day 2 done.  All new understanding of IM pain.  My trainer tire was sticking and slipping so I had to increase the tension.  After about 1:40 it stopped giving me trouble but the room smelled like burning rubber.  I was going s l o w  and my legs were tired.  Figured I would just make it the 6 hrs at what ever pace.  In the end I was able to reduce the tension enough to maintain a descent pace.  112 in the books. 

• 2 days of 112 on a trainer is no joke Dana!  If you can do that, likely you can do anything!
  • I just finished Day 2 of RR. I did 56 miles on the trainer (I consider myself a beginner!) After 100 miles on the bike yesterday (with the 1 hour swim and 1 hour run)...56 was all I could manage today. My body is FEELING all of this training and I'm glad this tough part is done! Now just the LONG run tomorrow image Yikes!
  • Day 1 done for me. I had to bail on the bike outside after 3 hours due to rain, but I moved it inside and was able to get another 2.5 hours on the trainer. I still feel like I left a ton of time on the bike. And I'm pretty sure my power readings say the same thing. But my swim and run were about what I want them to be. Probably more trainer time tomorrow, as it looks like a good chance of more rain. I'm also going to have to split it up into 2 parts due to family obligations.
  • Long run today.  Was feeling great had less than 40' to go when the migraine hit.  So I had the opportunity to use the home remedy of coke and Excedrin Migraine.  Didn't complete my run but the remedy seems to have worked better than any other I have tried in the past.  Same thing happened before in my training, 3X's now, so I am thinking that this is some kind of a fitness related occurrence.  My past experience has been that once I get through this (distance/time milestone) there are no more problems.  Fingers crossed.   Hope you guys have great success this weekend; we will collectively be nursing sore legs.
  • Dana... FWIW.. I don't suffer from migraines... But I do get headaches when I'm dehydrated. It usually happens later in the day after my long stuff.
  • Yes, yes Ed.  Dehydration and headaches are very common for me.  When I first moved to Africa we had to drink only bottled water and I was used to getting water from the tap or refrigerator dispenser.  Unknowingly at first, I was taking in less water and every day I felt hung over or jet lagged.  Finally after about month 2 I figured it out, it was dehydration.  Migraines for me are triggered by bright light when I am in a dark place, like sitting in a dark movie theater and someone opens the door to the bright outside.  If I were to look into that bright light it would most likely trigger a headache.  Also, when driving in late afternoon traffic and the bright glint on the back of the shiny car in front of me.  Happened with every pregnancy during week 12, three migraines back to back, clearly hormone related.  I am thinking this run/fitness milestone must relate to a hormone spike or dip in a similar way, but like I said once I get through it I don't usually have any other problems.  It does however, reinforce that I need to plan for it on race day.  Good news, my headache is almost completely gone whereas in the past I would still be suffering.  Thanks for your concern.

How has your weekend been?  Legs?

• Dana,

As much as I'm sure the migraine sucked, I think you learned a few things from it. Keep in mind they'll have coke on the run course, so it might be a good idea to throw a couple of those Excedrin in with your run stuff, just in case. Good job on the weekend. Now rest up for a few days!!
  • @ dana... legs are fine... broke a shift cable today and had to cut my ride short... luckily it happened at 56 miles... so not a total wash...
  • Bike Day 2 was MUCH better than Bike Day 1. I concentrated on peddling smooth, and keeping my NPower and Average power close together (AKA VI as close to 1 as possible). HUGE difference in performance and how I felt. I think I'm going to put lap VI as a field on my Garmin to help me keep an eye on actually riding smooth. I kept telling myself "you're putting out X watts, but you're body is paying for X+20 watts." When I looked at it that way, I really got annoyed with myself for wasting 20 watts...

I ran into a buddy out on course, and we rode together for awhile. It was nice to have someone to talk to for a bit, but my numbers (VI) were totally off when I wasn't paying attention to it. And to boot, we also decided to race a few segments, so "smooth" went out the window for the last 20 miles or so.

I also stopped by the Amy Marsh Cancer benefit toward the beginning of my ride, and was probably about 20' at most from Lance Armstrong. I say probably, because I didn't actually see him, but I know he was there someplace. He's sneaky you know. image
  • @Ed, with the numbers you're putting up, I'm surprised you haven't broken a chain!! Keep up the good work.
  • Sounds like you did GREAT Chris!!!!    Way to go!
  • WHERE IS ERIC!  ERIC...we want an update image
  • Long Run Recap. HOLY CRAP. The humidity was out in force yesterday. And it kicked me in the butt hard. It was a mix of light rain to get my shoes and socks, shirt and shorts all nice and wet, and then humidity to keep it all wet the whole time. To boot (and this is a learning experience), I forgot my salt tabs. All told, I lost about 2 to 3 lbs on the run due to dehydration, and I actually kept up with my nutrition plan. The last few miles I met up with a guy and tried to keep pace with him to simulate the push at the end of the race. Well, dehydration caught up, and I started to feel some muscular-weirdness going on with my calves and shins, so I shut it down and walked the last mile or so. Also, despite being dehydrated, I was sick of the Gatorade starting about midway through the run, and was burping it up a bit. I think this is all tied to the lack of salt tabs, and was a dangerous downward spiral.

Lessons Learned:

1. My bike hydration plan isn't sufficient for the run. I need to get MORE fluid in me during the run.
    2. Dont forget your salt tabs.
    3. Put a set of socks in the run special needs bag. It would be nice to have some dry feet for a few minutes midway through the run.
  • I had a good weekend up until yesterday. Was dressed and ready for my run and looked at the forcast. It was 63 degrees but going to 73 in just over an hour. I decided to wait. I worked on my bike... then bent over to grab a bucket and my back went into spasm. I was hurting pretty bad yesterday and missed my long run... not good.

Goal today is to get right so I can ease back into the plan by Thursdays long run. I'll be stretching... and using a tennis ball to keep rolling it out. This has happened to me before... most notably four days before IMAZ. It's a combination of stress and fatigue. Tough weekend of work...sick dog (she's 13 with cancer and she can't keep her food down for the last few days).. and normal life stress conspiring against me.

I'll watch this video a few more times and stop feeling sorry for my self and get back to work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxxYoL7nSU
  • Get stretched out and HYDRATED Ed. The work you've been putting out on Strava is HUGE! Give yourself a few days to heal up and rest and let your body catch up in general. Also, tell your boss I said it was OK for you to take a few nights off. image

And as for that video, any idea who that is at 2:09 and 2:33. He's got a pretty sweet jersey.
  • I took the weekend off... Maybe that's the problem! I let sloth/laziness creep into the equation! No more days off until after race day ( kidding)
  • OH NO ED! So sorry to hear.  But quite common at this point in the training.  We are all exhausted and over trained.  That is why things slow down this week for some recovery and taper is around the corner.  Listen to your body!  Get massage!  Heating pad!  Rest! 
  • Bib numbers are posted on the IMTX website.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/b0978f670a114335b527ecbbb0a3ee2a/2015 bib list imtx 4 10.pdf

I guess #1 was taken, so they wouldn't give it to me. Can you believe that?!?!