Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

2015 TX IM how's it going!

Comments

• Hey yall,
    Just checking in.
    I had been feeling oddly tired the past few days, and last night I found out why---sore, dirty feeling, scratchy throat. I even napped yesterday after work and I never ever do that!
    I came to work, feeling blah--supposed to run tonight for 1:45. I think I may rest instead. I'm just so close to race day---and Saturday is race rehearsal, so I really want to be rested for that. But I really want to run tonight. Trying to be smart about this!!!

Chris, you asked about my mental state? I am SO READY for IMTX! My demeanor now is a complete flip from last year. I know that I can do this!!! Stick to the plan, I can do this! There are however, doubts that will creep in, but I put them RIGHT OUT as soon as they surface. The Prerace webinar was awesome. Did yall see it? The Bermuda triangle is ReAL yall! I got lost in there, but I am prepared this year!!!
  • Don't feel bad about the day off! Myself, I felt real good yesterday hit all my training points for the day and this morning was supposed to ride instead of running and slept in by mistake image but to tell the truth I needed 9hrs of sleep image tomorrow is another day.

9 days till I'm on the way down Holy Crap!! image no panic the work is done now. See ya all soon
  • So good to hear from you guys.  I ran Banana Wed. it was great but the time and distance are just under where I usually break down so I expected it to be a success.  My husband informed me that the feeling I get when my body breaks down is what it feels like when you start the run in the IM.  Yeah!  I am so dead.

Did my last RR on Thurs. b/c Friday (today) is a holiday here.  The RR went well.  My aches and pains are normal and temporary. 

We will have a carnival at school today which means mommy stands around in the blazing sun holding crap while the kids run themselves into the ground.  Last year the mechanical bull they had sucker punched several kids.  Lagos does not have the litigation heritage that the US has which governs events like this.  As a result there are several high risk activities like a mechanical bull and a zip line to test my heart health.

I am having serious problems with head space.  Our family is expected to move from one apartment to anther down the street due to renovations.  My current apartment is cluttered and making me insane while the future apartment has issues with a fuse that powers the refrigerator and the dishwasher.  To move into the new space would mean potentially living without the repairs for weeks but to not move is making me crazy!  Meanwhile I need to create my lists, organize all my stuff, mentally prepare.  This part feels so overwhelming whereas the actual physical work seems like an escape from the stress of my real life.  I am dreading the race being over because then I have no excuse and I have to live my life.   I am going to go watch the prerace webinar now and try to get the proper perspective on this race.

• GO TEAM! I know a lot of you have your final RR this weekend!!  I did mine last weekend and it went well.  Not easy..but it went well.  I wanted to wish you all GREAT LUCK on the final RR!!!!! YOU GOT THIS TEAM!
  • Hey Ed..I also got a package of an EN t shirt (my size small) with tats and water bottles.  But your email address is on the order????  I think EN sent them to us but somehow your email is on all the orders??
  • The small T must be for ED, lol.
  • @Kim... I got my package in the mail today too. When they were being sent out I got 4 separate emails.. one in each of your names.. that said the packages were sent out. I think you're right... they just screwed up the emails.

@Ron... I think I could pull off the small.. it'd be tight and probably curl up over my belly... but i'd be one sexy SOB!...lol
  • Final race rehearsal is in the bag. Now I taper.

One thing though, that I haven't really brought up: I'm feeling nauseous after the run. I've always thought that was "just how it was" with everyone by the time they get done. It seems like I read about everyone getting to a point on the run where they cant eat anything else. Is that the case? is everyone feeling nausea at that point? Or is my nutrition just jacked up?
  • Way to go CHRIS!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! Taper is the most beautiful thing ever! Ha!

So I don't get nauseaus on the run or after.  I just get to a point where I have to force GU and gatorade down because I just feel like i'm OVER IT.  I know they say that getting enough salt helps the stomach from sloshing.  You might ask Patrick.  Race day I do think the COKE will really help us those last 2 loops to calm the stomach and get us some good sweet calories.  I'm sort of banking on the coke to get me through the end image

• Chris, is it after your run or during? It could be a few things. As Kim said good question for P
    For myself like today, I feel kind of sick around 2-3 miles in but once I jam gels down I usually feel better. Today it didn't go away till I pee'd. For the most part dial it back if you feel it coming. It should pass. You are putting stress on your body by the time you get to run.
    If anything remember "The Line" nothing starts till that point.
  • Congratulations to everybody for making it this far.  Now it is time to get race week lists dialed in and I could use some help.  Before I ask questions I wanted to say to Chris that I have felt nauseous after an extremely hard swim and when I break down on banana.  It is not an overwhelming feeling, but a message from my body that I have overexerted myself and I am at a tipping point.  As Coach P. talked about taking pain meds during the bike and a short break to stretch to take care of himself; this nauseous feeling is a signal that you need to listen to your body NOW.  I am not sure what it is for you, it may mean you need to back off a little or cool yourself.  Great observation and good awareness.  

• Questions:

1.) Do we have a timeframe for Wed. bike recon?

2.) Who is going and how many cars? 

3.) Will we all be riding the chip seal stretch of the course?

4.) Are we doing lunch on Thursday after 4 keys talk?

• Thanks all for the input on the nausea. I'm thinking I'm actually putting in TOO MUCH. I looked at my calorie intake, and I'm in the neighborhood of 500 calories per hour. On the bike it doesn't really hit me too bad because i'm not jostling around. But on the run, it catches up to me. I've got a call with coach P to confirm, but Al Truscott turned me on to the fact that most athletes can push in between 200 and 300 calories per hour on the run, and I'm betting he's right. I'm kicking myself for not bringing this up before this week. I wont get a chance to test it out, but I'll probably pull back a bit on my calories a bit on race day, and replace some Endurance with water and salt tabs. I'm not feeling any sloshing in my stomach, so I think the volume is right on, and I'm not willing to pull back on the amount of liquid because it's going to be HOT and HUMID and I am certainly one to sweat.

• I think Eric and I talked about NOT doing the actual RACE COURSE Wed.  We are going to this great 5 mile loop just to check the bikes and stretch the legs for one hour.  Since we are all going to the Team Dinner, I'm not sure about the lunch now on Thurs?  I know my family is coming in town around that time, so I don't think I can swing lunch. Can't wait to meet you!
  • I won't get in until late Wednesday night because of work, so I won't be at team dinner image . I'll see you all at the 4 keys talk though!
  • @Eagle @CD So we need to decide on Wednesday, bike recon with ride or bike recon with Woodlane loop? I am all for driving the course with you guys to get a lay of the land, but I am stuck whether or not to go safe at Woodlane with a similar profile or ride the 25 mile stretch for racing purposes. In a pack of 3 I think we would be fine riding the course in that dark stretch. I am comfortable with this option as long as were back in the Woodlands by 5 to get ready for dinner. It is up to you guys. Remember at camp Kim, your brother's will protect you. If you are not comfortable with this option then we can caravan behind Chris on the recon portion and then shoot over to Woodlane to get in the hour or so ride to get the legs spinning. Thoughts?
  • Ha!  Yes..brothers do protect!  I just don't need to ride it again and just not worth it to me to have any type of accident out there.  I am happy to do the 5 mile loop on my own (you guys just need to give me the directions) and keep me posted.  I just did 99 miles of chip seal in my RR and I'm pretty ready for it image  Our fitness level is done...a few days before the race, I just need to roll out my legs and check the bike.  So just let me know what y'all decide to do.
  • I'm going to start a separate thread for this with better details, but to answer Dana's questions:

1.) Do we have a time frame for Wed. bike recon?

OK, so let's go ahead and agree that a group of us will be riding the Woodlane Blvd Subdivision on Wednesday starting at about 1:00. This is a 5 mile loop at the back of the Woodlands with very little traffic. It will give you an idea of the climate and a few small hills, but there's not much in the way of chip seal out there. From there, if anyone wants to drive the course, you can do that on your own.

2.) Who is going and how many cars?

I recommend that we drive out to Woodlane, rather than bike out there. It's about 30 to 40 minutes to get out there on the bike, and it's all admin and just not good quality time in the saddle. That being said, I think I'm going to give my wife a break, and just drive myself. Again, I can fit 1 other bike on my carrier. I konw Kim and Eric are in. anyone else interested, please speak up now, so that we can arrange for extra drivers as needed.

3.) Will we all be riding the chip seal stretch of the course?

Nope, no chip-seal ride as a group. If you haven't seen the course, it might be a good idea to drive it, and maybe jump out and get some experience on it. But you'd be doing that on your own or in a small group.

4.) Are we doing lunch on Thursday after 4 keys talk?

Lunch on Thursday is a no-go for me now. I forgot my folks are coming into town, and I really wont get to spend much time with them if I do lunch with you guys. Sorry. I can still make a few good recommendations for restaurants off the beaten path if you guys want them.
  • Thanks for the responses.  It has been helpful.  Due to only riding on a trainer I believe I will need to get out on the course.  I want to drive it and ride the chip seal if possible.  I will work my schedule accordingly.  Anybody else interested in this option let me know.
  • IRONMAN TEXAS PEEPS- Make sure you're RSVP'd to the 4Keys talk and that you're helping invite friends! Giving away swag and of course our awesome personalities and info are always FREE! http://bit.ly/1b77Ocr
  • I'm flying in on Saturday anyone up for a ride on Sunday (after mom's b-fast) or Monday morning ??
  • i am just going to ride on my own Wednesday.       I know the course fine so I don't need to ride it more.             where can I find empty road within 30 minutes of the woodlands?            a little loop or length would be fine.
  • @Ron, Sorry, I'm probably going to stick with the family most of the day Sunday. Maybe a short run or swim, but nothing more than an hour, and probably not even that long. And I'm working on Monday and Tuesday. If you want to try to get in the pool on Monday or Tuesday evening, let me know, and we can do that.

@Robin, pm me your email address, and I'll send you a couple maps if you want me to. The following got really wordy, really quick, and a couple maps will be much clearer. You've got 2 really good options: Option 1 is the Woodlane Subdivision at the corner of FM 2978 and Woodlane Blvd. It's about 10 minute's drive from transition, and is a 5 mile loop with a few small hills in there. There is almost no traffic. Any road you hook up to in that subdivision to the west of 2978 is a good road. Option 2 would be the Lake Windcrest subdivision. That's at the corner of FM 1488 and Windcrest National, on the south side of 1488. Again, if you stay in there and make loops, traffic is minimal, but it's a little bit easier to get lost in there, and it's about 15 minutes drive from transition. You can make a good 10 or 15 mile loop in there pretty easily, and if you want to get in some good long straightaways, you can hop out onto 1488 in front of that subdivision. I will say DONT GO WEST OF THAT SUBDIVISION ON YOUR BIKE!! They have some construction about 2 miles west of that subdivision, and you end up right out in traffic with pissed off red-necks. With both of these options, you can bike out to them, just use Lake Woodlands drive, rather than Woodlands parkway when you're in the front (east) of town, where most of you guys are staying. Lake Woodlands will eventually dead end at Woodlands parkway, and from there on out woodlands parkway has a good shoulder.
  • As of today, the water in lake Woodlands is 76°F. We have a bunch of rain between now and then, but I'm betting it'll stay warmer than 76°F.
  • This is what I see today! What the f#%^£
  • Ron...nice pic...would be extremely "interesting" if that was The Woodlands!  ;-)

• I just hit my last "long run" this morning. Felt AWESOME!! Except I had forgotten my run watch at work, and had to carry my bike computer to have SOMETHING to catch my data. I locked in at about 130 BPM and felt like I could go on forever.

I also got to scout out the run course a little bit more around the construction, just to see where they were going to send us. I think I have it kinda figured out.

Anyways. How are all your tapers going? Ron, are you actually doing any outdoor work? What's all that white stuff on the ground? image
  • Chris thanks for the bike ride info.   i will probably do option one.   

let us start the early weather hysterics.     rainy race week.      rain would be welcome just hope there is no lightening. 

• From KMF man in last year's thread.  Just in case anyone is curious about the weather?

Woodlands Weather

• Well... From the advanced forecast it looks like Ron's strategic advantage in running on snow has been nullified for race day! 86 with 78% plus humidity...