Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

2015 TX IM how's it going!

Comments

• 1344!!!

Team Jim Carrey!

• Looks like I'll be missing the team dinner. Because of work, I can't leave until late Wednesday. I will be at the 4 keys talk. ...hope to see yall there!
  • Jim Carry!!!!??? Hide your nutrition for race. imageimage
  • Ha! They might go into my bento box and steal my nutrition! You are right Ron!
  • I don't get into town until Thurs. So I will miss it too image  We should make it a Team Lunch on Thursday instead image
  • Ed, How are you making out? If it makes you feel better my legs feel like hamburger. I wanted to swim today but work and MODIVATION got in the way, tomorrow is another day. Just hope next Monday is much better image take it easy and listen to your body. In my opinion, you have the fittness, not much can be gained and a few easy days can be good in so many ways! Relax and go with it.
  • @EE Sorry to hear about your back. Everything you said x 2 - max out all your options. Kim is right, at this point in the game everybody is starting to wear down at their own pace. Focus on your workouts for sure, but I can honestly say that after watching you at camp and on Strava your numbers are through the roof and fitness should not be a concern for you. One of the very first bits of advice I got while getting into this sport is going into an event 10% undertrained is better than 1% overtrained. Your body, like mine recently is barking at you saying slow down! You're pushing me way to hard right now.

RR went well, better than expected actually. I started out of the gate late due to weather. I kicked off Saturday morning got in 90 miles on the bike at 17.5 screwing up the nutrition throughout but managing to pull an Ed Eovino 4 x over the course of 5 hours. An "EE" for those who don't know is TX camp speak for taking a piss. That guy is a camel! Anyway, finished off with a 5 3/4 mile (60 min) brick at a slow pace but felt good. Knee felt fine. I cut my bike ride short because of my knee knowing that Sunday was another big ride and I didn't want to go back to miserable knee place.

Sunday got out later in the afternoon and was on the saddle for 3 1/2 hours and managed to get in close to 70. Started to figure out the nutrition piece, but still am no where near confident eating on "the fly". I still have to break off the side of the trail to grab a quick snack on the 30 and hour. I am going to work on that in the coming weeks. Will cut down some time for sure. Knee continued to feel great with a steady regimen of NSAIDS, ROCK TAPE & FISH OIL. Stretched and called it a day.

Today I finished with the big run, legs were hosed but mustered the energy late in the day to knock out 13.1 in a shade under 135 min. I got outside, humid and pretty hot so I felt like it was closer to Houston day than it's been forever here. Felt good about that. Made some loops around the neighborhood, circled back at hour 1 to refuel hitting 32 oz Endurance per hour / 2 salt tabs / 2 Gels at the 15 & 45. Stomach feeling queezy at the end so I laid off the Gel (cutting down to one an hour) and it resolved pretty quickly. All in all by the end of it I was obviously ready to be done but still had enough to give a good 15 minute final push. Felt good about that.

32 days!! Hard to believe we are almost a month out. Stay healthy and focused.
  • Great job guys... Looks like everyone's weekend was a success. Taking all those coaches can dish out and proving your nutrition/race plans... Great job!

I'm feeling a bit better today... Going for a swim tomorrow and hopefully a swim/easy bike on wed... Then I'll keep my fingers crossed to be back on plan Thursday. I felt good during the RR and was able to get a pretty good assessment of where I was... I'm happy. Pretty sure I could have pushed through that day to complete another 18... With a proper taper... Would have even felt better.

@chris... No idea who the EN guy in the video is... But he sure looked like a badass!

@ron... Rest up and kill Boston...

@eric... If your uncomfortable with eating on the fly you might want to plan the quick :30 stop at the aid stations. You'll get in the nutrition... But even better you can stretch that knee if you have to. To be honest whenever I stop just to fill my water bottles I can believe how much better I feel for the next half hour.

@kim... Mike.. Corpus Christi... Charity entry... I don't know how but I'm going to get him to the team dinner just to see Patrick's face when he realizes he's there...
  • Great job Eric!!!!! WOOO HOOO! Sounds like you are doing great!  I bet those kiddos are proud of their Dad!  Keep up the good work image 
  • Are you guys all getting in town the WED of race? I get in Thurs so I will miss the dinner. Let me know if you guys want to meet for lunch or coffee Thurs! I will try and get in really early!
  • Kim, I am hopefully arriving Wed. morning early.  Depending on when I can get my bike back from it's tune up I want to do a little ride and I want to drive the bike course.  If it looks wetsuit likely I will want to try that out too.  I am flying solo so it would be easy for me to grab coffee/lunch sometime Thursday. 

• Great Dana! As we get closer to that week we can connect!
  • Thursday lunch is definitely in order. I would like to make one last drive around the bike course on Wednesday / Thursday if some people want to join in for the ride? CD as tour guide?? Not sure what rental I am going to get, but I am sure it will have at least 4 seats. Sorry, no Smart car this time. Maybe multiple vehicles to take bikes and get in 25-30 miles per beginner training plan layout.
  • I'm down for a Thursday lunch also. Don't judge on how much food I eat LOL! I am so stinking hungry about 1 1/2 days after long rides and runs.
    My RR went pretty dang good this weekend!

Rain down here in Mississippi all stinking week. Gotta keep up the motivation. Rain is a motivation sucker.
    Got in a great swim yesterday, too.
    All I want to do lately is sleep! Off work today and slept from 0930 to 0800!!! WOW!!!!

• The 4 Keys talk with Coach P is Thursday at 10, so lunch after that might work. I'll have to play it by ear though. I might be juggling family that day.

Keep in mind the training plans are written based on a Sunday race, so the plan's "Thursday" is really our Wednesday.

I'm going to follow the coaches suggestion and do "bike course recon" 3 days before the race, Wednesday afternoon. I'll have my bike on the back of the car, and be jumping out to ride a bit of the course (probably the chip-seal section, mile 60 through about mile 85, which is where I tend to go to some really dark places) while my wife drives sag for me. We can carry a total of 2 bikes, so I've got room for one more to ride along with us.
  • Lunch after 4 Keys sounds good but Chris is right about the week.  If I have my bike back from it's tune up I would really like to go with you on Wed.  I will have a minivan so we can use my car as the second car.  I might be able to find a friend to drive so that, I too, can hop out and ride some.

On another note.  Banana Island kicked my but again.  Banana Island is a gated community here in Africa where I can run outside in the heat.  It is a true sufferfest.  I don't have such good running fitness as is and after 90' in the heat, humidity while running on cobble stone I just can't win.  I made it till 2hrs then walked a small bit.  At 2:15 I was done.  I was so close I know.  Every time it kicks my but.  This is such good prep for Houston.  I plan to go back with my salt pills, forgot those, and keep at it.

I felt like I was staying hydrated but I lost 3.5lbs so that is a good indication that I need to pay attention to my run nutrition.

• GOOD NEWS! I changed my hotel and now get in May 13 Wed! So I can do the TEAM DINNER! YEAH! Bad news..hip is hurting image Did my 15 mile run, 1.5 hour swim and 4 hour trainer 3 days in a row. Felt wiped. Patrick put me on YOGA and MASSAGE and REST all weekend training image
  • OK, everyone needs to quit getting hurt. Just knock it off. Latisha's worried about PF, Kim's hip, Ron's hamstring, Eric's knee, Ed's trick back, Dana's headaches. Who else am I missing? Robin? You good man? I haven't seen Jim Carey out there lately, but I'll see how he and All American are doing, and report back.

• That post made me giggle Chris! Hope we all feel better soon!!!!!
  • Doing fine. Knock on head.

Easy early part of this week. Recover from Big Week.

Great 4000 m swim yesterday. Almost up to speed.

Three more long long bikes to go including today, for me.

Doing a shorter long run tomorrow then my last long long run next sunday.

Be well. Stand down if needed.
  • Sitting here in Boston itching to get out and run long or ride long. I have been keeping tabs on thread and it's quiet, WHATS GOING ON!! I'm missing my ride this weekend image hope everyone is ok. ED!!!!??? I'm guessing everyone soaking up all the hard work.
    I wasn't too excited about the marathon till today seeing hundreds of people out while I dodged in and out of them on short run. 1 more day. 27 till Texas, wow where is the time going.
  • @Ron... I wouldn't worry too much... over the next month you'll go long enough times to lose that itch. Back is getting better... but still a limiter. I rode on the trainer yesterday. I did 4 hours at 75%.. progressively building the watts through the WO. I wanted to do 5 hours but I could feel the back tightening up towards the end. I skipped the brick run I'd planned and don't think I'm going to do the ABP ride today. I unfortunately have to work around some of this stuff which isn't great for the build... but it is the only way I'm going to show up ready to race on race day.

Have a great race... I'll be keeping tabs on you to see if you stay ahead of the wife this time...E
  • hope folks are having a good weekend.     working out or recovering or eating. 

for those having problems getting in the workouts, remember there is the Ironman Minimalist plan.        

• Prepare for a small rant:  Saturday I was trying to get my 90' swim in at my pool club.  The goal was 3800m and I was at about 3200m when I was hit with a large inflatable orca whale.  When I looked up to see what hit me, thinking it was a kid that had jumped in on me. I saw parents on the side of the pool laughing. Thankfully, it seemed like the lifeguard was making efforts to remove the object from my path.  I knew I had two choices: 1. recognize that Saturday afternoons are for playing and having fun or 2. get bent out of shape and be upset.  If you have not guessed, I chose the later; because, let's face it, it is hard to train here and I was out of the way not bothering anybody.  There was vast amounts of pool open for play and shenanigans yet I was made to feel like a target as if I was somehow interfering with their party. My swim was essentially over but I did not go quietly, I decided to swim criss cross through the middle of the pool making a big X (there are no lane lines).  Hell, I pay to use the pool as well and initially I was not bothering anybody.  I kept thinking to myself; and they say American's are rude, obnoxious and inconsiderate of others.  The parents did not correct their kids when they parked themselves in the lane (on the side of the pool next to the wall) where I had been swimming.  The story goes like this: they won, I quietly got out and went home.  It is silly of me to worry about this, most days I have the pool all to myself.  It was a beautiful day, perfect for a party.  I should have turned on the charm and sweet talked a beer out of the parents instead of getting grumpy over 600m.  Next time I throw out the work out and join the party.
  • @Robin... not sure I'm ready to go that route yet. I'm hanging in doing what I can. I've had to drop some intensity and time... with one big week left I just need to work around the injury and get to the taper as fit as I can. Worst part is I knew what the Sunday ABP ride was doing to me. I should have listened to myself and amended those... thats what did me in last week... Seems that's when you always get into trouble... when you know your body's telling you something... but you just refuse to listen.
  • Hang in there team! I think physically and emotionally we are all spent.  One more solid week!  My hip does not seem to be getting too much better. But I'm thankful it's manageable and actually does not seem to hurt much when running.  It's more AFTER the running.  We have our longest run this week! Hoping to just make it through! I have my RACE REHEARSAL this weekend coming up as well since we have a supported century ride.  So this is MY LAST BIG WEEK OF EVERYTHING!  I'm READY for this taper image  Wishing you all awesome healthy energy!
  • Good message Kim, I am on the hook for 2 more tough weeks and mentally preparing for it. Had a nice run / bike yesterday at a good pace, nutrition schedule, heart rate and it was one of those rides that I'll keep in my back pocket for race day. Everything settled in just right, felt good. Knee has not bothered me at all, but I am watching it like a hawk and continuing the same regimen of fish oil and NSAIDS pre workout to ward off any evil spirits. Seems to do the trick. Easy 90 ABP ride today, no run. Earned some SAU's in the yard with some lingering tasks. It was good work, mixing it up a bit and burning calories all the same.

@Ron We'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Enjoy it and make sure you don't fall short to your better half again!! Good luck, hope your hamstring is coming around.

@EE Hope that back is on the mend, looks like you are tapering the wko's a bit and letting the body heal. Smart move, it'll be paying dividends on the 16th.

Continued grit and toughness through the final stretch. Stay active on the forum and let's start already!!!

The Best
  • So I guess I'll recap my weekend by simply saying I DIDNT get hit by a 1978 ford F150 driven by a drunk redneck out on Johnson road, but it was close. And his cousin/brother in the truck following him decided it was MY fault for simply being on the road. So I DIDN'T return the one-finger salute and profanity. I've now been put on a strict diet of Woodlane Blvd loops with an occasional jaunt out 1488 by my wife.

Anyways, this week for me is going to be run focused, as I took the bike in for a tune-up, and will be at a convention anyways. I'll also be going for the open water swim in lake woodlands on Saturday, along with my race rehearsal. I'm kinda looking forward to it. Any thoughts on if I should even TRY wearing my wetsuit?
  • I don't understand those people up there, north of 105.  Me and 3 friends rode 20 in Cypress/Hockley/Waller and EVERYONE was so nice on the road.  North of 105 is like it's own different place.  Glad you're ok.  I still gotta get out to Woodlane and do an outdoor test.

• Way to go Ron... 3:19:46 at Boston... AND most importantly.... back on the leaderboard at home! great job....