Home General Training Discussions
Options

Official Zwift Thread [Updated Instructions Inside]

Comments

• Options

For W/kg, see the the right sidebar under each user name....there you go!
  • Options
    Love Zwift.  Its the only thing that has made the trainer bearable.  I did 100% of my OutSeason rides on Zwift.

• Options
    Just seeing this...  Big potential.  Thanks for getting this going @Brian Hagan!  I will be stalking and joining in the near future for sure.
  • Options
    Thanks to the organizers - this was fun and kicked my butt!  
  • Options
    Great ride today.  I found it a little hard to hook up at the beginning but eventually found most everyone.  I also didn't have the group me app set to send me messages to my phone so I missed out on the whole conversation. 
  • Options
    Team -  epic fun, thanks to all who played along. I'm really glad we didn't say those mean things about Tom like KMF was asking us to do.
  • Options
    All, looking forward to next week to join the group...is the plan to group every Sunday?
  • Options
    I plan on doing this again this coming Sunday 2-April.  Yesterday's ride was so much fun, and the time flew by.  I do not think I would have ridden the trainer for 2.5 hours while getting such a quality ABP ride without this group dynamic.  Thanks to everyone who showed up and made it so much fun.

There were a few things that I think really helped.  I was definitely looking at the "Riders Nearby" in the right side of the screen for the "TeamEN (X)".  It took a little getting used to controlling my pace.  I was really focusing on the target watts at first, but then I just focused on staying with the group.   Also, you can use the Zwift Mobile App to follow your friends in Zwift.  I dropped out and had to rejoin the group.  Since I follow a number of you guys in the Zwift Mobile Link, I was able to restart Zwift and choose "Ride with Patrick McCrann" and rejoin the group.  

I also think the "Group Me" was instrumental.  That was way better than using the Zwift app to communicate.  We could really get geeky and use some voice apps to talk to each other, but I have no experience with that.

I think the matching jerseys helped a lot, but maybe we could pick a better one.  @TomBoX was really easy to spot with his bright yellow jersey.  I suppose it would maybe be good to find a red one. 

It seemed like most riders fell in the "B" and "C" category, so that helps as well.  That is mainly an observation, but I think this should encourage people to join the ride, as there will be riders of all skill levels to ride with.

One area I thought of later to help improve this would be the start.  Zwift kind of plopped us in at different locations behind the start banner.  In the future, I would recommend we all pedal up to the start banner and form a bunch to start together.

I have not seen the April course schedule, so we will see what courses there will be to pick from on Sunday.  There are rumors in the Zwift community that new courses are close to being announced.  Also, we could use the event module and take this ride to the next level in Zwift.  This would possibly open up the ride to 100+ riders, and would require us to have multiple level  leaders to help.  The good side is perhaps marketing for the team and also more fun with more riders.
  • Options
    Good suggestions Brian.  I obviously didn't read the entire instructions before the ride otherwise I would have been in the same jersey as everyone else.  I agree a different color than the gray Zwift one would be easier to find each other.  The yellow jersey may not be available to everyone though since jerseys get "unlocked" once you hit certain mileage milestones.  And I will switch to a road bike next time.  Didn't realize that drafting only works if you are on a road bike.  
  • Options
    @Tom Box ha ha!  We found a red and black one that everyone should be able to get.  If not, I can get the unlock codes to everyone.  There is also the bike beer jersey that may be fun in the future.....  Coach P is sending out something for this coming Sunday either tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    OKAY ZWIFTERS, updated instructions posted to the front of this thread...hope you are getting ready for this Sunday!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I'll try to read the instructions this time, get with the program, put myself in the B group, get the right jersey etc...

I'm getting ready for the Sunday ride by completely hammering my legs on Saturday, so, please be gentle come Sunday...

@Brian Hagan - good to know about the Mobil App!

Happy Zwifting all!
    SS
  • Options
    A sidenote: As this Zwift ride matures a better option at some stage may be to switch to a team speak format so that the ride leaders or whomever can communicate through a headphone or microphone.

Instructions below:
    http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/getting-chatting-with-zwift-and-teamspeak/

In addition, setting up the ride as an "official event ride" would also preclude the need for groupme as only those in your event ride would see your group zwift messages.
  • Options
    Hope everyone can make it!!!! Pumped!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Another epic session today, including:

- an appearance by @Ian Kurth  himself...
    - @Shaughn Simmons riding like a man possessed...
    - @Peter Noyes still crushing it post Marathon...
    - @Brian Hagan executing an attack on the final 9' climb of the day. 

And we looked bad ass too!!

• Options
    Another great ride today.
    Legs were a bit shelled from Saturdays ride so, the group definitely pushed me harder today than I would have had I been riding by myself. Thanks guys, work works.

Note: I showed up at the start a few minutes late. Searching for someone with the Team EN name to "ride with" worked well to catch up.
  • Options
    Thanks sincerely to you and Brian for this each Sunday!  Much needed shelling time.  I don't often shell myself, but when I do, I like to do it in the company of trusted friends......  :-0)

SS
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2017 7:15PM
    I agree @Shaughn Simmons.  I was definitely spent after that last climb.  It is much more fun sharing the pain with friends!  

I think I found a the cause of issues with all riders disappearing.  Well to you guys, I would disappear and then reappear.  I found this helpful article and am going to play around with my settings this week.  http://kb.zwiftriders.com/disappearing-riders

Next Sunday will be London 8 again.  After that, the course will be in Watopia the next few weeks.  I am in for sure this coming Sunday 9-April, and I hope to see you all virtually!  

• Options
    Well, if I can get on my damn bike on time (yes, I have my own time zone...Trish time with my training buddies) maybe I could draft a wee bit and hang for the first half hour or so. :tired_face: I did get within about 90" once or twice, but I was toast from riding ftp up Box Hill on lap one trying to catch all you speedy dudes!

I gotta say, I dig zwifting.  Sunday was my 3rd ride.  I have no idea how to give a thumbs up, what the feather or aero helmet thingy's are, or what the goat jersey means that I got to wear for a bit on my second ride. I do know I want a GLOWY BIKE!  LOL.  I did earn myself a set of wheels Sunday, so look out.  ;) 

I don't know if I will join Sunday or not...it looks to be warmish..an outdoor ride may happen.  We shall see.  
  • Options
    @Trish Marshallawesome. I am level 20 and I have not earned the "Tron" bike. You have to climb to like the moon to get it. The feathers and aero helmet are power ups. If you click on them, they will make you go faster for about 30 seconds. 

I know. It's going to be close to 70 here on Sunday. I am thinking of maybe doing the Zwift ride for an hour to 90 minutes and then heading to Island Lake in the afternoon. I need some vitamin D!   
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan Can you tell I'm not a gamer?  I guess I will just enjoy the Tron bikes as they fly by me then! :smiley:

If I ride outdoors I'll probably go to Stony Creek as my usual partners in crime are riding there.  Next time you ride at IL let me know...it would be great to meet before Boone! 
  • Options
    Is this a weekly thing now, or will it go away once the summer weather comes?
  • Options
    @Jeremy Behler  I was wondering if people in the hot and humid south ride indoors more in the summer.  My plan is to do it weekly when I can as long as there is interest. 
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan...coming from WI I don't understand the concept of being 'too hot to ride'.   Run....a different story...but riding?
  • Options
    I promise to be around for many summer Sunday zwift rides.  I might even procure the proper jersey just to satisfy the @PatrickMcCrann uniform police.

As I've told several others, there is a very good, well attended and well organized group ride that kicks off at 5:30 am CST called ODZentury on Sundays that ramps from 3 w/kg up to 3.4 w/kg over the 100k ride (there is also a 2.5 w/kg ODZentury ride at a similar time).  If/when this EN ride takes root, I would straddle across both rides for my weekly long ride beatdown.
  • Options
    @Ian Kurth that ride sounds pretty appealing.  I may hop on that for a little bit this week just to check it out.

@Jeremy Behler - ha ha.  I am in the same situation in Michigan.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2017 2:49PM
    @Brian Hagan @JeremyBehler

Last year I did a 112 mile bike ride in the Dallas Texas area getting off the bike at 108 heat index, stopping to jump in the pool quickly to cool down my core body temp then finishing 6 mile run at 112 heat index........not productive.

This year, I will see more quality doing that kind of ride on the indoor trainer and plan to do so when conditions like that come up.

SS

• Options
    @Shaughn Simmons sounds like good Kona training  :p
  • Options
    TEAM, who is in this Sunday? I will be on at 9am ready to suffer...we have 10 9-year-olds sleeping over Saturday night, so I should be sufficiently hurting. 

As a reminder, all the info is in the first post in this thread (use arrows to go back to page 1) for uniforms, Group Text and much more. The first 45' is fun...then the work really begins!

@Ian Kurth that other ride kicks off at 5:30 CST / 6:30 EST sounds super painful...when will you start riding there then with us? I am just doing some solo FTP work first before our ABP ride...

@Brian Hagan @Shaughn Simmons @Trish Marshall @Sabra Gonzalez @Jenn Edwards @Mark Stahlkopf @maurice matthews @Peter Noyes