Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Team Tundra Force

December 1st and the snow is in the air here in Rochester. I propose the following points system for workouts for those of us outside of balmy So Cal.

Per Hour Biking or Running (or Swimming)
Temp 25-32=1 point
Temp 20-24=2 points
Temp 15-19=3 points
Temp 10-14=4 points
Temp 5-9=5 points
Temp 0-4=6 points
Temp <0=7 points <br />
1 Bonus Point/Hour for Each of the Following

Actively Snowing/Sleeting
Use of adaptive device required (SnowShoes, YakTrax, etc)
Racing
Wind >20 mph

So for example, if you come do the 6-hour cast a shadow snowshoe running race here in the Rochester and its sub-zero with 20 mph howling winds and driving snow you get

6hoursx7=42 points for temp
6hoursx1=6 points for snow
6hoursx1=6points for snowshoes
6hoursx1=6points for racing
6hoursx1=6points for wind

Total workout=66 points

Suggestions? Planned start this weekend to run through end of OS (March 20th). Will cobble together one of those google docs. Anyone in?

Comments

• Options
    My Yak-trax and I are totally in.
  • Options
    I'm in too! Might as well get something besides frostbite for working out in the tundra this winter.
  • Options
    I'm in. Still have my screw shoes that I made last year.
  • Options
    Can I adapt for texas by setting up treadmill or trainer in front of my freezer in the kitchen?

You guys are NUTS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Paul we might get that here once or twice! We could MAYBE get up to 10 pointsall year!
    We need the its summer and over 105 degree points!
  • Options
    I'm in! No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear, right?!
  • Options
    I never imagined running in Yaktrax - i thought they were for stable walking.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun. Anything to help keep the motivation going!
  • Options
    My kind of group! I hate exercising indoors and make a mad point of cycling outside all winter. I won't start the OS until January but when that rolls around; watch out!
  • Options
    I will be braving the elements while running all winter. I am not nearly as tough/crazy as Corso so I will not be riding outside if it is below 45. Certainly will not be swimming outside for a while unless I chop a hole in the ice :-)
  • Options
    Crazy? Me?? It was 39 when I rode outside today. Knicker bibs, booties and soft shell and I was plenty comfortable (at least as far as the temp was concerned)

FWIW, save you money on the Yaktrax or anything similar. By some short (1/4" maybe) hex screws and screw them into the bottom of your running shoes. You can add as many studs as you want and won't fall apart.

I start a new job on Monday and I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to bike commute to Boston and still make it to work on time since it's about 35 miles door to door. Still working out logistics though and will try like hell to avoid the trainer on the weekends.

HTFU team!
  • Options
    the screw shoes rocked last year! I used yak-trak type things once or twice as well when running from the office. image
  • Options
    yak trax kinda suck IMO. They are only good if there are more than a couple of inches of fresh snow and are horrible if you ever have to run on pavement with them. Also heavy. Screw shoes are much better. Even on the non covered parts they feel OK as long as the ipod is loud enough to drown out the clicking noise.
  • Options

Posted By Paul "How many words can be put here before they cut me off?" Stone on 01 Dec 2009 04:08 PM
    Can I adapt for texas by setting up treadmill or trainer in front of my freezer in the kitchen?

Only if we have a summer challenge where the Northern folks put their dreadmill in front of a radiator w/o a fan!
  • Options

Posted By Scott Alexander on 02 Dec 2009 01:29 PM

Posted By Paul "How many words can be put here before they cut me off?" Stone on 01 Dec 2009 04:08 PM

Only if we have a summer challenge where the Northern folks put their dreadmill in front of a radiator w/o a fan!

It was actually snowing in Arlington this morning... but not untill I was at work so my one chance for tundra points for the year has probably passed.
    So i will have to second the radiator and no fan.
  • Options
    I say you get points if you con somebody else into joining you!!!! and is this with windchill??!!! no it does get cold in Arkansas by the way!! oh and pics, photos, pictures or video!!!! "pics or it didn't happen!" cuz just don't know about you northerners... I mean you could tell a tall tale for all us southerners know!! some sort of weather device for proof.... cuz y'all have Patrick up there and he sure does tell some stories!!! m
  • Options
    Okay, tentative spreadsheet is up here.

Team Tundra Force

Add your info. I cut down on the number of temp categories. Yes, windchill counts for bonus points! First official day is this Friday.

Let me know if spreadsheet doesn't work. I am a google docs newbie.
  • Options
    And if anybody knows how to make that link "hot" using the new forum let me know!

Did It!
  • Options

Posted By Philip Fratto on 02 Dec 2009 03:25 PM

Posted By Scott Alexander on 02 Dec 2009 01:29 PM

It was actually snowing in Arlington this morning... but not untill I was at work so my one chance for tundra points for the year has probably passed.
    So i will have to second the radiator and no fan.

X2 I was going to run after dropping the kids at school but it stopped snowing before I got the chance. I was psyched to get at least a point!
  • Options
    Start tracking points tomorrow! Forecast for Fri, Sat, Sun in Rochester is Snow, Snow, Snow!
  • Options
    Hey Scott:

Now that Texas has had their first snow fall before Christmas, I think Texas team mates might be able to petition to join Team Tundra! LOL!
  • Options
    It's already gone, but the temps in DFW are still down in the 30s-50s for the foreseeable future. BUT, the expression out here is "if you don't like the TX weather, just give it 20 minutes, it'll probably change!"
  • Options
    Warmest Dec3rd in Northeast in last 10 years. Not good for challenge points! Come on snow!
  • Options

Posted By Kevin Walter on 04 Dec 2009 08:11 AM
    Warmest Dec3rd in Northeast in last 10 years. Not good for challenge points! Come on snow!

Yes, but temps are dropping into the 20's tonight...which is when I'll be out on the LVT with the 'cross bike. Team Rochester needs points!
  • Options
    I am actually looking forward to wearing full-length tights sometime this month. Bring on the cold!
  • Options
    I'll be knockin' down some points tomorrow and Sunday. Now that I've got my cross country racing ski gear ready to roll I'm thinking lots of Tundra Force points again this year.
  • Options
    I would like to join the team. I'm biking 2h today and it's the high 20's..
  • Options

Posted By - - on 05 Dec 2009 08:21 AM
    I would like to join the team. I'm biking 2h today and it's the high 20's..

If you haven't gone out yet, get some toe warmers. I went out last night with K-dub and DH for 80 minutes in 27 degrees. Balaclava, helmet, and Goretex helmet cover on the head (it was dark--no one could see the dorkiness of it). Ice-climbing gloves on the hands = toasty! Wool socks and Goretex LG winter bike shoes on the tootsies = frozen toes.
  • Options
    Definitely! The more the merrier! Great ride with Kitima last night! Pitch black ride with headlights! Heading out in a little bit for another quick ride. Am going to look into some getting a piece of custom schwag for us (thinking winter hats).
  • Options
    Team Tundra Force

is the link for the spreadsheet! Add your name and add your points! Post up some pictures here of you riding in a snowstorm!