Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

The Macro Thread: I have big picture, season planning questions for the Coaches -- ARCHIVED

Hi Rich. Right now I am in the first week of the run focus plan, coming off the Nov. OS. I am doing Rev3 Quassy then Lake Placid, following the "Plan A" outlined in the wiki. That plan says to do either the get faster or HIM plan after the single sport focus. Three questions:

1. How do I decide which one to do - the get faster or HIM plan?

2. Where do we enter those plans - at the beginning, or so that they end when we transition to the IM plan, or in the middle somewhere that looks about right?

3. Regardless of which plan I do, should I be extending the long runs and rides so that when I jump into the IM plan there is not a huge jump in volume? I have been keeping the long run at 90 min during the OS.

For background I did Placid in 2011 and two halfs in 2012, all at the intermediate level.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rich. Right now I am in the first week of the run focus plan, coming off the Nov. OS. I am doing Rev3 Quassy then Lake Placid, following the "Plan A" outlined in the wiki. That plan says to do either the get faster or HIM plan after the single sport focus. Three questions:

1. How do I decide which one to do - the get faster or HIM plan?

2. Where do we enter those plans - at the beginning, or so that they end when we transition to the IM plan, or in the middle somewhere that looks about right?

3. Regardless of which plan I do, should I be extending the long runs and rides so that when I jump into the IM plan there is not a huge jump in volume? I have been keeping the long run at 90 min during the OS.

For background I did Placid in 2011 and two halfs in 2012, all at the intermediate level.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Rich, I sent a question this past Sunday regarding a "POSSIBLE" addition to my race schedule this year. my A race is beach 2 battleship Oct 26. I am doing a tough century ride June 22nd and another tough one Sept 7. I just found another ride that is 4 days and 500 miles with 30k of climbing the weekend of july 28. Not sure if I want to committ yet but this ride weekend is right at the beginning of my "IM training (3 month) plan" after my GF plan ends. question is, should I even consider this 500 mile ride? Would this mess up training schedule for B2B?

thanks Coach, Joe C.
  • Options
    hi coach I sent my race survey in email format I just wanted to confirm you received it! Thanks
  • Options
    'ello. When the training plan for a single day specifies Workout 1 as a bike, and Workout 2 as a run, is this always a brick (i.e., run immediately after cycling)? If not, how do I tell the difference between a traditional brick and 2 workouts that I'm supposed to put some time between? Thanks.
  • Options
    hi coach,
    i am week 15 in him. b race 3/24.
    my big goal is kona - lakeplacid with a target of under 12 hrs - 50 age group.
    last year (first im) at imcda, i did 1236. i target to tajke 15 min off t1 (was hypothermic), 10 min off swim and balance from bike (11 min).

my run has improved this season - took 3 min off my 1/2 marathon - 1:45. i was a marathoner for 20 yrs before entering the tri world 4 yrs ago. marathon pr 314-- much younger days. i do struggle with injury and tight hips!!

my question/ concern---
    i am not making my bike intervals on the weekend-- i think i am too worn out from the running.
    for example, today i did the 10', 12', and 15' z4. i could only get my hr to z3, and the balance of the ride was z2 at best. what are your thoughts??? my previous traing had 2 bike intervals and long ride with some intervals. the 2 bike intervals had 48 hr rest.
    would you change anything or am i just adjusting ...
    thx
  • Options
    hi coach,
    i am week 15 in him. b race 3/24.
    my big goal is kona - lakeplacid with a target of under 12 hrs - 50 age group.
    last year (first im) at imcda, i did 1236. i target to tajke 15 min off t1 (was hypothermic), 10 min off swim and balance from bike (11 min).

my run has improved this season - took 3 min off my 1/2 marathon - 1:45. i was a marathoner for 20 yrs before entering the tri world 4 yrs ago. marathon pr 314-- much younger days. i do struggle with injury and tight hips!!

my question/ concern---
    i am not making my bike intervals on the weekend-- i think i am too worn out from the running.
    for example, today i did the 10', 12', and 15' z4. i could only get my hr to z3, and the balance of the ride was z2 at best. what are your thoughts??? my previous traing had 2 bike intervals and long ride with some intervals. the 2 bike intervals had 48 hr rest.
    would you change anything or am i just adjusting ...
    thx
  • Options

Coaches RnP, 

My 2012 A race was IM Coz, and my 2013 A races are IM Kansas 70.3 on Sunday, June 9, and IM Canada on August 25th.  I have been following the 2013 Master Season Plan "C" aka Very Late 2012 A-Race, Late Spring 2013 Race, and Experienced Ironman Athlete.  So, I started the Jan 7 OS Plan, and that is going great.  Looking at the season plan spreadsheet could you give me specific guidance as to when I should start the Get Fast Plan and when I should start my 12 week Ironman training block?  It looks like the simplest thing to do is to skip the 6/10 transition week listed as optional, and start the Ironman 12 week training block at that time.  Is this correct?

• Options
    @Jim, picking between the HIM and GF plan is a function of your current fitness. If you feel like you need volume to start building up (good for beginners or those returning from injury) then do the HIM plan. If you feel like you have more gas in the fitness tank after the OS, then do the Get Fast plan. When you start a new plan, we always set it by the END date, then we can work to get you integrated if required via the Micro Thread. I like long runs at 90' right now. When you get to May, you can start extending for the HIM build, and that should suffice!!!

@Joe, you can TOTALLY do that ride just note we'll have to make sure you pace it right and recover properly. Otherwise have a blast!!!

@Yvette, I will have to check!

@Joe, if we want you to brick, workout #2 is called a "Brick Run". Note that unless you are 8 weeks (or less) from your race, all runs are ideally separated. Once you are INSIDE of that 8 week window, then you can brick as you like.

@Lori, as a heart rate athlete it's important to note that you might not be able to hit HR zones but that doesn't mean your body isn't working! One day you do 10' @ z4 and your HR is 145 (z2, yay!) but other days you do 10' @ z4 and your HR is 135 (z1, wtf?)…it's not that you are going any easier, but that your body is carrying fatigue. From a workout perspective, consider noting your speed / cadence for these intervals…so you can "replicate" or "beat" that each week…this way a higher/lower HR number doesn't means success or failure. From a fitness perspective, it might be worthwhile improving your Friday recovery to make sure you are in a better place to get the weekend workout done -- are you sleeping well? hydrating recovering with protein? Keep us posted!

@Ken, transitioning to a 12 week IM plan would have you starting that the week you taper/race Kansas 70.3 (week of 6/3). When your OS ends on April 14, you have 7 weeks until Kansas….IF you have done an IM before, then I suggest you load the HIM plan on 4/15 to end on Kansas 70.3, and then we'll transition you to the IM plan. If you haven't done an IM before or are coming back from a time away from the longer stuff, then you can drop in the IM plan (it's 20wks long) on 4/15 to end on IMC and we'll work in Kansas as you go! Hope that helps!
  • Options

Hey Coach!

I am in OS week 7 and had planned on doing 70.3 Florida so I was going to jump to the HIM plan sometime in march.  However I have budget constraints and hadn't signed up yet figuring out what to do.  Turns out I will be spending 4 weeks in Portugal this July and there is a half iron distance triathlon in the town I am staying in for US$60! I already signed up.  It's on July 16.  I was wondering since that date is far away what do I do between now and then? When do I start the half iron training plan for that?

Thanks so much,

Cristina

• Options
    Hi RnP,
    Just finished my A race yesterday (faster on all three splits than last time despite being a bit truant on some swim and bike workouts this past month!) and looking forward to recovery time, which will include planning for my next targets. The next A race will be a marathon. Yes, I know, I know! I've read all the stuff about why that's a bad idea... But think of me as a runner who does triathlons in the running off season.

Have also been reading all the wiki marathon planning stuff and listened to the webinar, but I'm a wee bit confused. Partly cause being on the other side of the world means I'm six months out of sinc with all the examples, but also because the info mostly relates to spring or fall marathons and mine is In winter. Not sure if I need to do another season planning survey or if the answer is simple enough for you t o cover here.

Plan is short course tri 1km/30km/8km April 6 (B race), half marathon may 19 (B), marathon July 6 (A), half marathon 22 September (A), then "just for practise" C priority short tris leading into half ironman-ish race again Feb next year.

Basically, I want to hack just enough bike and swim into the marathon plan to keep me okay for April, then sing into straight marathon after that. I'd just live some guidance on how much biking and summing I should do. Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    Coach, I'd like to follow up on your answer. Here is what you said to my original question. @Ken, transitioning to a 12 week IM plan would have you starting that the week you taper/race Kansas 70.3 (week of 6/3). When your OS ends on April 14, you have 7 weeks until Kansas….IF you have done an IM before, then I suggest you load the HIM plan on 4/15 to end on Kansas 70.3, and then we'll transition you to the IM plan. If you haven't done an IM before or are coming back from a time away from the longer stuff, then you can drop in the IM plan (it's 20wks long) on 4/15 to end on IMC and we'll work in Kansas as you go! Hope that helps!

This will be my 8th HIM race (Kansas) and third IM (IMC). I would still consider myself an intermediate level athlete. Noting that the HIM training plan is a 20 week plan would you have me jump into it at week 12 or 13 of the plan (to end on Kansas) or week 1? Also, should I still do a transition week between the out season plan and starting the HIM plan? Thanks.
  • Options

Hi Rich,

I am a bit confused on what to upload for my next block. My foot issue is pretty much gone, I am running full time with my Orthos and they are feeling great. My heavy bike OS ended yesterday. You mentioned in my audio cast that you may switch me up based on my healing. I had a great Jan and Feb is feeling good so far. So which do I upload now? also, Am I advanced or Intermediate?

thanks much!

Heidi Slomer

• Options
    @Cristina --
    I"ll look for your season plan and will circle back to you via email.

@Kylie --
    Please take the Season Planning survey and I'll get it back to you right away.

@Ken -- Load up the HIM plan to end on IMKS, then go directly from that into the IM plan to end on IMCA

@Heidi -- suggest you use the Intermediate for a while to see how you do in that, then consider moving to the Advanced plan.
  • Options
    Done! Thanks Rich (sorry if you get it twice, iPad is twitchy sometimes)

Kylie
  • Options
    Hi Coach! I am doing LP in July but can't make it to that training camp. Can you tell me when the weekend camp in Chicago is going to be? At one point Coach R said it would be in March- I just have a lot of ducks to get Ina row before I can be away for a weekend so I wanted to start planning- thanks! -Kelly Davis
  • Options
    Hi Coach, I received the screenshot of my year plan back in January. Unfortunately, I had an injury, which I am recovered now (I.T.S RIGHT SIDE). I am still planning to follow the race calendar that I sent, with minor changes( also need help with updating races). So, how do I start again. I guess I need to do some test time first, then the plan that you suggest?
    Thank you.

PS. I was originally supposed to start the 20 weeks short course plan.
  • Options
    @Kelly --
    I was going to schedule the clinic for April but everything is kinda up in the air now with my back injury. Over the next days I'll learn more and will finalize all of those plans.

@Andres --
    I would like you to load up the SC plan to end on Rocket Man. Then, probably next week, just substitute the bike and run tests for the bike and run intervals scheduled for next week.
  • Options

Hi Coach, I started off in the intermediate out season plan and have since upped to the advanced. My bike test in january gave me a 215. My question is the bike workouts are getting easy should I retest. Also the calculator is not working for me my last run test was 8 min miles and my bike was 215. Is the calculator back up. If not can you get me those zones. Thanks. EN ROCKS.

• Options

Thanks Coach R - Feel better soon!

• Options

Hi coaches Rich and Patrick,

This morning at 6 am I did my FTP test. My baseline is 211. I was holding average 232 when at minute 16 I just flunked. I try to hold at 50% for one minute and then try to catch up at barely 85%. I ended up at an average of 200. I wonder what happened. I've been improving consistently for the last three months. I spent the weekend walking in Yellowstone (that's the only change). I had dinner yesterday around 6 pm (chicken with rice). This morning at 4:30 am I just had coffee. Should I eat different from now on?

Thank you,

Wilmer

• Options
    @Eugene --
    I don't think you need to retest. Just dial in the number that feels "Hard" and use your experience with these interval sets to guide you. We have put temporary calculators under the Training tab above.

@Wilmer --
    Looks to me that you went out WAY to hard at the start of the test and faded at the end. IOW, nothing wrong here except poor pacing. What watts have been holding for your intervals? Don't worry, improvements for the first couple tests are often equal parts improved fitness and improved pacing skills.
  • Options

Coach thanks for the info. I looked at next week and have to retest the bike on monday and run on wed. I will be out of town sunday morning until tuesday at 4 do you have any suggestions on how I should move the week around I can run on the road if needed.

• Options
    Eugene,
    In general, for travel weeks, we recommend you go bike-heavy before the trip and run-heavy during the trip. "Heavy" meaning increase your frequency, which usually means adding 1-2 workouts of the respective sport
  • Options

Thank you, Rich.

I can do intervals at about 250 watts. I still wonder if I should bring more calories before testing but I was scared of getting stomach upset.

Wilmer

• Options
    Hi Coach Rich,

It looks like the GF plan was fixed a little bit but mine still says "You are on week 0 of 6 (7 weeks remaining). Ends 4/7/2013". While it should say week 1 of 8.
    Just thought I'd let you know. Hope you're feeling better!

• Options

I am in week 7 of the get faster program. Suppose to load up the IM advanced program next. I was just informed I will be traveling around the world in the next 3 weeks. England, Austria, China. I most likely can Run, maybe swim in Europe the first week and Hotel bike. I assume I go run heavy. I will miss my test week next week, but I can tweak my numbers. When I return I assume I will jump into IM plan to get ready for IM Brazil which is 26th of May.

Let me know if this is correct.

• Options
    @Maureen --
    You want to set the plan to end on 4/14. Do that and see if that fixes the issue. We fixed the GF plan yesterday but it may be that you need to reload the plan for the fix to "take," so to speak.

@Pat --
    Yeah, that's correct. Do what you can to be consistent and go as run-heavy as you can. The hotel bike and swimming are certainly less than ideal but it is what it is. Are you able to go bike-heavy between now and the trip? Not sure it would really matter before such a long trip but it might help you mentally.
  • Options

Rich

I have 150 on the Bike Saturday. I could add another 150 Sunday in place of the 90 minute run? Let me know

I'm on the plane Sunday night, so no more chances to ride my bike.

• Options

Posted By Pat Ward on 21 Feb 2013 10:09 AM

Rich

I have 150 on the Bike Saturday. I could add another 150 Sunday in place of the 90 minute run? Let me know

I'm on the plane Sunday night, so no more chances to ride my bike.

Yep, exactly

• Options
    Hi Coach, as of this morning the GF plan is now displaying properly. Thanks for the fix!