Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

The Macro Thread: I have big picture, season planning questions for the Coaches -- ARCHIVED

Comments

• Options

Micro-Macro, not sure.

I have to park the run for a 3-4 weeks (not good as worlds long course is 8 weeks out) so wish to add an extra bike.

After scanning the forums and wiki, I have ascertained the recommended approach is to do the wed wko Tue and Thur.

Rich please confirm.

I also will try eliptical to see what the discomfort level might be and try to get something of the run wko's done.

My injury is adductor related. The bike feels OK as long as I remain in aero (good thing). I cannot run in the water (bad thing) and can't kick during swim (good thing).

• Options
    I am in the final (test) week of the GF plan and am moving to the HIM plan after next week. I have been sick all week and have not done any testing or completed a workout since Saturday. I am seeing a doctor today as I am getting worse rather than better. My question is what to do once I am better. My thought is to pick up the HIM plan and use my numbers from the beginning of the GF plan. Please let me know if you think this will work or if I should do the testing. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi RandP
    I am coming out of week 8 of my GF plan and testing this week. So far so good! Numbers getting better and I am feeling good. I have peeked ahead as I will start my HIM plan on Monday. My race is KS70.3 so I will be starting with week 9. Do I just jump right in and do whatever the plan says? Most of it looks reasonable but I noted the BIG training day on the weekend... I am up for it but wanted to make sure that is what I am supposed to do! Also, I won't be able to do it Saturday... it will have to be Sunday, if that is okay!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Jenny
  • Options
    Hi Coaches,

I am going to Germany for 6 days next week. Wildflower is May 4th. Should I adjust my training leading up to the trip? What about recommendations for workouts during the trip and post trip?

Thanks Carter
  • Options

Hey coach - I'm starting my full IM plan soon (after Boston marathon), and have a question about off days (or lack thereof).

W/o going into too much detail, I have a condition where I have to get injections 1x/week, which forces me to take the following day very easy. I've been able to work around this so far given the good amount of off days in the OS and marathon plans, but looking ahead to the IM plan it seems as though there is never really an off day.

What would you recommend here? I can force a short workout on these days, but the intensity has to be very low. Is this something I should just take week to week and plan to do before the easiest day? Or should I be looking to combine days to provide an off day, so that I can do those workouts to there full intensity?

• Options
    @Tim --
    Yes, that is correct.

@WC --
    Let's get your better and then talk about what's next. Seriously, your sickness is your coach not us. Finish your work with him then circle back to us to talk "what now" stuff.

@Jenny --
    Yes, you'll be fine but you can also roll that workout to the following weekend if that makes more sense to you. Also doesn't really matter on what day you do it on.

@Carter --
    Go bike heavy before the trip and run heavy during the trip. Heavy meaning increased frequency = get in an extra bike or two, if possible, before the trip and run as often as you can during the trip.

@Dan --
    I think you're going to have to experiment to find what mix works best for you. In general, Friday and Monday are good days to go very, very light or off, as those are before/after the weekend long stuff. Friday, as a bonus, is after the Thurs long run.
  • Options
    RandP
    Looking for a little feedback on my bike test I am finishing up 8 wk get faster and testing this week planning to move to him plan leading up to rev3 quassy and then racing mt tremblant im
    felt like i left it all out on the bike today switched protocol and tested outside same course for both results are;
    today 5" NP 343 avg w 347 vi .99
  • Options
    cont posted too early
    RandP looking for some feedback on my bike test today finishing wk 8 get faster and moving to him plan to end rev3 quassy then on to mt tremblant im
    today w new protocol
    5" np 343 avg w 347 vi .99
    20" np 295 avg w 294 vi 1 95% is 280

my last best test last year outside june 22/12 prior to lake placid
    old protocol 42"
    np 281 avg w 272 vi 1.03
    I feel stronger and believe i can still get faster over the next phase of my training -any suggestions going forward or should i jus go with the test numbers and the him plan?
    going to run test on Saturday
  • Options
    Coach Rich,

I would like to replace my Wheelbuilder cover for Mavic wheel or get a Zipp 808 with PT (G3) - I have a SL+ in the Mavic wheel. What are the EN discount prices? I called wheelbuilder and they told me to contact you directly.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hey Rich, Is there anywhere to put in our swim test info? I checked the temporary calculator page and see only bike and run options. Thanks!
  • Options
    Rich,

Originally my season plan had an olympic distance race scheduled for 6/2. I have learned that the race has been moved to 5/19. Coming out of the Jan OS you had me taking a Transition week then loading the Get Faster plan to end on the original 6/2 race day. The 20 week IM plan leading to IMMT followed. Any suggestions on tweaking this in light of the new race date? Thanks!
  • Options
    Heyho Coach,

do you think it's a good idea to have the following plan:

- Do IM-Adv Week 9 and 10 according to the plan

- BBW to replace IM-Adv Week11

- Again follow the plan and do all TESTS in Week12

- follow the plan in Week13 but start tapering 2 days befor my HIM on 11.5.2013

I'm actually thinking of switching week12 and week13 ... just because I think having these Tests right in the week of the HIM is easier to recover from until Saturday than having all the other workouts (Long-Run, Z4-intervals,....) 

Maybe I could also skip the tests for bike + run completely as I don't expect any important changes there as the last test was just 4 weeks earlier after finishing the GetFaster plan ...

Do you have any other idea how to handle this and do you think just taking 2 days off before the HIM is enough (sure I'll also ask my TSB for this)?

• Options
    @Brian --
    Yes, use the new number and move over to the HIM plan. I need you in that plan because I need to get you ready for Quassy.

@George --
    Just email me at rich@endurancenation.us and we'll handle it over there, from my inbox.

@Jennifer --
    No, sorry. T-pace is simply your pace per 100 meters or yards from your 1000 TT.

@Steve --
    Let's do this:
    • Skip Wk14 of the OS. Instead, on 4/8 load up the GF plan to end on the new date of this race.
    • Take a transition week after the race, then…
    • On 5/27 load up the IM plan to end on IMMT

@Stefan --
    do you think it's a good idea to have the following plan:
    - Do IM-Adv Week 9 and 10 according to the plan -- YES
    - BBW to replace IM-Adv Week11 -- YES
    - Again follow the plan and do all TESTS in Week12 -- Skip the tests.
    - follow the plan in Week13 but start tapering 2 days befor my HIM on 11.5.2013 -- Yes, but see the Self-Coaching Guide in the Wiki. I've laid out how to approach race and post-race weeks.
  • Options
    Patrick,

thanks next ? I am testing and recovery this week and when I load the him plan to end 6/2 rev3 quassy - it starts with a testing week (wk 12). Should I change the end date of the plan? or skip ahead some other way? Thanks!
  • Options
    Brian, just skip the tests, replacing them with interval workouts instead.
  • Options
    Coaches,
    I’m in the process of attempting to modify the HIM Advanced training plan to fit what I know my family and work life will be able to handle on a week to week basis. I’ll be starting in week 12 on Mon. 04/08. With my work schedule I’m able to fit more training in during the week days, so I’m proposing the following:
    1. Mon. & Tue. I do what the plan calls out for on Sat. & Sun.
    2. Wed. I do the plans Mon. (Swim or Run/Swim)
    3. Thu. I do the plans Tue.
    4. Fri. I do a blend of what the plan calls out for on Wed. Fri. (This is how I gain rest on Sun.)
    5. Sat. I do the plans Thu. run.
    6. Sundays. Perhaps this will change as I get more accustomed to my training and rest habits, but always taking Sunday’s off seems to really work for me from both a physical/mental reset in training + of course in the spousal approval point area. The weeks I’ve attempted to go w/out taking that 1 day off I seem to always feel flat, or just exhausted. Maybe most of it is mental, but for now I’m deciding to go w/ it as I’m making good progress and I feel very good.
    7. Only other little tweak was adding in the Run30/Bike120 days onto my Tuesday in week 14 (your Sundays), so I did not have 2 rest days in 1 week.

Sorry if TMI , I just want to make sure you know why I’m doing what I’m doing. Please just let me know if you see any big no no’s in my modified plan. I know I'm losing some volume by resting on Sunday, but I believe the intensity I gain with the rest come Monday makes up for it. All my tests this week were a huge success! Took my swim 1000m from 17:36 to 16:17. Bike 20min. FTP from 218 to 231. Run 13.1 run from 1:44 to 1:40 w/ HR drop from 158 to 157.

Thank you,
    Jonas McCluskey
  • Options
    Can or should I start straight into my HIM training plan the day after my half marathon run test for the OS? My first A race is June 2nd in Olliver BC. I am starting the HIM intermediate plan in wk 13 on Apr. 8. What are your thoughts on recovery time from a HM?
  • Options
    RnP
    Next week is bike test, (jan os week 14).
    Is there any reason I shouldn't switch the test from Thursday to
    Tuesday??
    Thanks, Jenn
  • Options
    Coaches,

I believe I'm going to need a new strategy for IMTX this year. Due to recent events (T1 diabetes and moving), I've lost about 8 weeks worth of total training, and so far I've only had a good 4 weeks of real training. I've missed a lot of volume rides, runs, and swims and now I'm possibly stuck without a pool for the next couple of weeks until I move again. Any advice on how I might tackle the race and my training in the coming weeks? Thanks!

Ryan
  • Options
    @Jonas --
    Good that you're following the long run on Saturday with a day off on Sunday. The rest of the schedule looks good but don't be afraid to experiment with your week to find the best mix of workouts and days that work best for you.

@Todd --
    Yes, but you may find yourself needing to take Monday and Tuesday off before getting back on track on Wednesday or Thurs. In other words, looked up the HIM plan to on June 2nd but make those modifications to this week. Goal is to be back on the schedule by Thurs, modifying M-W to accommodate that.

@Jennifer --
    No, though I believe we put the test on Thurs to give you a couple light days first. Up to you though.

@Ryan --
    Sorry to hear about your challenges! My notes:
    • Do your best to get in the running frequency as called for in the plan.
    • Get as much of the volume of the long run as you feel is safe for you. Fine to do a run/walk strategy, ie, run a mile, walk a minute, etc.
    • Do your best to get in the long bike volume but if you can't, for logistics reasons, trade volume for intensity. That is, the shorter the ride, the more it should take on the characteristics of an interval session.
    • Finally, begin to wrap your head and your goals for race day around the reality of where/what your fitness is now and likely will be on race day vs where you'd like it to be. You can still have a successful race as long as your definition of success fits within this new reality and resultant fitness. Begin to make that realignment now.
    • As for race day, let's circle back to that one before your final race rehearsal. Good luck!
  • Options

Hi coaches.

I am currently doing the beginner HIM plan, without any foot/overtraining issues so far (on week 10, prepping for tremblant 70.3).  Two questions:

1) at what point, if any should I contemplate switching up to the intermediate plan, and how should I do this? I am ok with just sticking with the beginner plan or intermedizing parts of the beginner plan. 

2) I have a week off work on may 20-25.  I was thinking about doing a big tri week (or days). This would be week 16 of the plan. Is this a bad idea? (may 25 is 4 weeks before the race, and I haven't already done a big bike week as the wiki suggested ).  If not a bad idea, should i just structure it as per the wiki? 

thanks!

• Options
    Hi RnP,
    I am on week 14 of the OS program, but I do not see another 5k run test? I see on Sunday a 10k TT or half-marathon. Is this done in place of a 5k test? If so, what if I cannot find a race on Sunday (which I cannot)? Also, I will be starting my A race training plan, but their is a transition week between my OS and IM plan. What should I be doing in this transition week?

thanks
    frank
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Im starting the intermediate Ironman Plan next week for IM Tahoe, but I have no immediate access to a pool until May 17th.  I'm an average swimmer.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Troy

• Options
    Coach,

Doing IM CDA adv. I am just coming off of a semi big tri week in California. I could use some advise about any recovery needed after this or continue with workouts as planned. On a fatigue scale of 1-10, id say I am at 7. I still have power and speed but kinda tired.

Also, it is looking like 3 weeks until roads are clear enough to ride in Fairbanks, and not sure how to interpret the weekly long bike workouts. Does this mean I do all 5 hrs on the trainer, followed by 3 hours of tempo the next day? That might just kill me, but I could suck it up if needed. Any advise on adjusting my bike workouts for the next 3 weeks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Klaus
  • Options
    RnP,

Thanks for the great JOS. My races this year are Syracuse 70.3 (June 23rd) and IMMT (August 18th). Admittedly, in my first season here at EN and with little former triathlon experience (IMMT last year - self trained), I am at a loss for what to do next week. How do I set that up like the JOS so I can see what is coming up and what to expect down the line?

Thanks again.

Edward
  • Options
    Hi RnP,

I was looking for some guidance on my bike gearing. I believe you are pretty strongly recommending a 12-25. I'm just learning about this stuff and was hoping you could provide some good supporting information behind this. My kit is as follows:

700 x 23 wheels
    50/34
    11-28

Let me know what changes to the cassette if any you would strongly recommend.

Regards,
    Arun
  • Options
    Coach,

Nearing the end of JOS. Doing Racine and IMWI. Dropped Kansas 70.3. I'm trying to decide whether to do GF plan or HIM. The "masterplan" says do the HIM or GF plan, but when I did my season survey (with Kansas still in the schedule), you suggested to do the HIM plan after the OS. What's the difference of the GF plan and the HIM plan? I've also been struggling the last month with some plantar fasciitis. It's probably related to a sudden increase in my running mileage on top of the intensity. I really need to improve my running as it is very poor compared to my cycling, but this injury sucks. THanks
  • Options
    Rich,
    I updated my training calendar. I'm preparing for an OD on May 19, Rev3 70.3 on June 2 (A race), and possibly an OD on July 28th. I just finished my 14 week OS. Thanks.
    Kevin
  • Options
    RNP,
    I got behind 3 weeks in the JOS due to illness. Should I continue with the JOS or switch to the short course as directed?

Thanks,

Jamie
  • Options
    Coach R, question...for my season plan when it said "load up HIM plan" do I load it up and enter the end date for when I will load up my IM plan (5/5) or do I enter the date of when my HIM is? (6/2).  I ask because, as you know, it starts you off however many weeks back and I don't konw if I should be following week 17 or week 13 of the HIM plan.  I have found the transition from OS to HIM really hard and I think I may have loaded the wrong week!  Thanks!!  (and if this doesn't make sense let me know)