Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

The Macro Thread: I have big picture, season planning questions for the Coaches -- ARCHIVED

Comments

• Options
    Coach,

I have had some hip issues the last few weeks that has really messed up my running schedule. I have missed the last three long runs and some of the fast Wednesday runs. I do not plan on testing the run this week. I was wondering if I should go back and hit some of the mile repeats or just move forward with the faster VO2 stuff that starts next week? On a positive note my biking has gotten much stronger!

Thanks,
    Jimmy
  • Options
    @Maureen --
    Great, thanks for your patience!

@Jimmy --
    Generally we don't recommend "making up" missed homework and I'd say drive on. However, the Vo2 stuff might not be the best thing for your hip so my advice would be for you to be careful with that first session and go from there. You may find that a better course of action would be to replace those Vo2 sessions with stuff from earlier in the plan.
  • Options
    Hi Coach,

I've had a rough few months of real life getting crazy on me, and my training has been spotty. I did the first half of the NOS and got great gains, but since about the halfway point of the OS, I've been really inconsistent in getting in the workouts. Biking, I'm finding I can grunt through and hit at least close to the numbers when I am getting on the bike (1-2x/week lately), but my running has dropped to a measly 10ish miles/week (and I've been doing at least 25+ miles/week for a few years) and I've lost some major speed. I am suppose to be in week 2 of the bike focus now, as biking has historically been my weakness. I don't race until a half marathon in early May and then Muncie 70.3 and IMWI. Should I carry on with the original plan of bike focus, or do something else given my recent lack of training?

Thanks!
  • Options

So between travel/work, getting sick, and some wavering focus...my first half of the off-season hasn't been as successful as I had hoped. To be honest the last couple of Tuesday rides I've struggled to do the time at FTP, and in some cases not been able to finish the MS as Rx. This then starts the spiral of motivation. My understanding is the 2nd half of the OS is more toward VO2 on the bike...and I'm having no issues there at all...actually good improvement...the FTP is the struggle.

I was considering jumping back 3-4 weeks in the plan to a place where I'm hitting the efforts...and then tuck in and go through the OS. My season plan has a decent size hole in it from when the OS is scheduled to end (4/15) and when I start up my 20 week for IMKY on 6/3 for an 7/25 race. It looks like I'd have the buffer in time to "reboot" my OS. Does this make sense? Otherwise I assume we'd fill that hole with a Bike or Run focus.

So I feel pretty secure that the reboot is the way to go...go back to a place in the plan to have success again and build on that, but I recognize it's my first time through this and wanted to get your input.

Thanks

• Options
    @Rachel --
    Depends on if life has calmed down for you. That is, is where you are now a function of life getting in the way and reducing your volume and consistency?
    • If it has not calmed down for you, the Run or Bike focused plans are our lowest volume plans. Of those two, the Run Focus plan is probably a better option as running consistency, frequency and volume is more important, over the long run, than the bike.
    • If it has, then the Get Faster plan would probably be a better option, as it would get your run back on track while maintaining and improving your cycling fitness.

@Craig --
    Yes, that sounds like a plan.
  • Options
    Hi Coach,

Thanks for the reply. I at least think life is calmed down (and hope). Starting the Get Faster now sounds good to me, but in my original season plan you had me starting the Get Faster on March 25. Would it make sense to do Get Faster now, then transition to a bike or run focus after, so pretty much swapping the order of the plans?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Coach, thank you for the new season plan. you stated I had a lot of races planned should I take some of these off? if so which ones?
  • Options
    Hi RnP,

Could you some guidance on what do with my training plan. For starters, I'd like to start my 14 week IM Intermediate Plan the week of 3/18 or 3/25 latest. This gives me 2 - 3 weeks of buffer. This is based on my experience with the OS. Between falling sick, nursing injuries and travel it took me several extra weeks to complete the OS in earnest. And actually I was not able to properly complete Week 14 of the OS because it was a testing week and I've been abroad for 3 weeks and the running and biking environments were not the same. IWO, I wouldn't have been able to get an accurate measure of improvement. I'm not suggesting I haven't worked out in 3 weeks weeks or plan on taking the 2 - 3 weeks off. I just want to reduce the mental stress and physical stress so I can pull back a little before any injuries get away from me and potentially jeopardize my season. I always get in some respectable run work even when I'm temporarily off the plan, and I've most recently gotten back in the water! In the end, I feel great, and with the exception of the week 14 tests, I have completed the OS workouts as written. If all goes smoothly, through the rest of the season training, I can always repeat a couple weeks to make sure I peak and taper at the right time (IM is on 6/29).

So, should I use this week 2/25 as the Week 14 test week or should I start the Get Faster plan and use any testing that's incorporated under that plan?
    If I move to Get Faster, is it okay to just train with this plan for a few weeks?
    Alternatively, should I just move to a longer IM training plan?

Thanks in advance for you guidance.
    Regards,
    Arun
  • Options
    RnP

I have signed up (for fun) for a half marathon on April 13, and was curious how to fit this into my current plan. I have no "real" goal for the race, other than to perform best I can based on my fitness at that time. Want to be prepared for the distance though, as we don't have much long distance running in the Outseason. Realistically though, I'm not that good as cruising along, so I'm sure I will want to do well and beat my friends...so keep that in mind. image

I'll be loading the HIM plan the week of 3/18 in preparation for the Kansas 70.3, so maybe that will be fine and get me there, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I should be doing now, or in the coming weeks to be better prepared.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hello~~~~
    So i got a revised training plan season from you...reviewing races and my new achilles issue. image You mentioned being able to do "any races" before week 14 of the IM plan. Suggested Olympic. Would a half iron on week 12 be too close/too much? Or should i opt for Olympic? Last year my first half got the bike course shortened due to SNOW in the mountains. So I'd like to conquer this course if this wouldn't be a dumb idea.
    Also, since i have held off of running for the past week, and probably longer.....I have thrown in swimming instead (technique-building!!!)....but the TT testing is this upcoming week (#8 of Int. OS). Will I test later? Not at all? When I get back into running (whenev that may be) do i need to start at a particular week? This may be a tough one to answer, I know.
    As always....thank you!
  • Options
    Hello Coach,
    Thank you for the screenshot.
    I was given a present from the wife.
    She enrolled me on the Key BISCAYNE trilogy TRI.
    They are Olympic races:
    JUNE 9
    JULY 21
    AUGUST 18
    SEPTEMBER 8
    The last one is based on finishing percentage .
    Does it change the program you sent?
    If so, would I get a new one?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Coach Rich,
    I'm entering week 8 advanced OS. Last Sunday on a long run-hit a pothole and sustained a chip fracture on the lateral part on my distal fibula not affecting the ankle joint (ligaments appear to be intact). Ortho told me no running for 3-4 week minimum. I'm able to bear weight and can do the prescribed bike sessions. I've started back in the pool doing drills but pool running is impractical and will not be possible. Elliptical trainer is no problem.
    Had a 10 k planned for 6 April and a .5 marathon 3 weeks after that.
    How would you suggest I adjust my schedule? If I can run again in 3 weeks and have no pain can I still run the 10k (assuming I don't put my desire/ego in front of my ankle)? Thank-you.
  • Options
    Coach Rich,

I hope that you are starting to feel better after your accident.

I am in the get faster plan intermediate, starting week 4. I have been sick with colds and flu for the last three weeks on and off and I have missed most of the training. At the end of this 8 weeks I jump into week 9 of the IM plan on my way to CDA. I am feeling better and want to get back up to speed, I had a great OS, and I do not want to lose it all being sick. I have a half lite scheduled for May 5th that I hope to race well, and then it is only 7 weeks to CDA.

Can I start back up with week four of the get faster plan? Should I do somthing else now that I have lost so much training time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Christy
  • Options
    Coach, I am a new member and still learning the ropes so I hope this is the right way of doing things. I have a couple of changes to my calendar that I believe will affect the training approach.  First I have a new race (Duathlon 10k/40k/5k) that I have scheduled on 4/6/13 then I will also be on vacation with limited training available from 4/24 - 5/8. I would guess I might be able to train 30-60 mins primarily run during this time maybe stationary bike if hotel fitness permits.  When I return for I will be roughly 4 weeks from 'A" race.  Would like your recommendations on training run up for period now to June A race.  Thanks
  • Options
    Hi R n P:

I am on the Beginner Ironman 20 week program. In reviewing the schedule, I noticed two items that I needed clarification on.

Week 13 - Friday says Swim 90" but the actual workout listed only adds up to 2600
    Week 14 - Friday says Swim 90" but the actual workout listed only adds up to 2600

Which is correct? Time or the workout?

Thanks,

Joanna
  • Options

Hi Coaches, I have a question about the meaning of "Priority sign" on the plan.

I am in the 6th week of the GF plan.  Today I noticed the layout of the table of the training sets has been modified and that three kinds of signs (or icons) have been newly added beside each day's set, which are High/Medium/Low Priority. How should I interpret them? For example, the contents of Tuesdays and Thursdays Bike are quite the same, but Tuesday is marked as "Medium Priority" and Thursday is "Low Priority."  Do you mean that I can skip or lower the intensity of Thursdays Bike if I don't have time to do it or I am very tired?

Thanks.

Akio

• Options
    RnP
    Doing IMWI this year and I have a local 70.3 on July 27th, a week after Racine's date. Looking to substitute this for Racine and get the thumbs up.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    I need some major help!!!  I am currently on Week 8 of JOS Intermediate and about to go into week 10 of HIM Intermediate.  My PT and Dr wants me to take off time from running because of my calf.  I have micro tears in one muscles and is on the tail end of healing.  I need to adjust my training plan.  What should i do about my training plan?  Please help...
  • Options

HI Coaches.  I am travelling to Mexico March 19-April 3rd for work. This will be my 2nd year working there. If past experience stands: I'll potentially be on my feet at least 10 hours a day. Combine that with heat, humidity, fatigue (blisters on my feet last year) and maybe 6 hours of sleep a night.  (Don't feel too bad, I'll be staying at an all inclusive resort on the ocean in Cancun. image ) I may have an hour every other day to work out if I squeeze it in somewhere. My next race is the Wildflower 1/2 Iron on May 4th. My schedule before and after the trip is flexible and relatively open.  Upcoming planned Races: Wildflower- May 4, Dueceman 1/2 Iron- June 1, June Lake Half Iron-July 13, Ironman Lake Tahoe September 22. How should I adjust my plan before, during, and after to accommodate this trip? Thanks!

All my best,

Martin Soole, The Tipsy Triathlete

http://thetipsytriathlete.wordpress.com/

• Options

Hi Coach - could use some thoughts/help on re-working my plan.  Approximately four weeks ago i developed severe pain in my heel and had to stop running.  Two weeks ago, i learned i have a pretty large fracture in my heel and have been in a boot and crutches since then.  Bottom line, i haven't run in a month and was told my current injury could take anywhere from six weeks to three months to heal.  I have been able to get to the pool and swim and have been able to spin on the bike trainer.  I was on the outseason plan and can do the bike workout parts as long as i stay inside for the time being.  Do you have any suggestions on what i should do to modify and/or change my plan until i can run again?  

thanks!  Jana  

• Options

HI coach,

I am currently in week 4 of Advanced Get Faster. I will be then dropping into the Advanced IM plan for IM Cda. At the end of next week (week 5 of GF) I have a long bike ride planned with some friends. We will be in the saddle for about 7-8 hrs. (all flat). Should I make this week a Big bike week or just continue with the GF plan? I am also going on vacation March 22-April 1 ( last weekend of week 7 and all of week 8 of GF) . I am bringing my bike, but not sure how much time I will have to ride. How should I modify to accomodate this?

Thanks!  Jen D

• Options
    @Rachel --
    Let's have you do the GF plan and then reassess things from there. We may want you in a multisport space by then. Shifting to a single sport focus at that time may be a bit of a step backwards at that point?

@Yvette --
    No, not a problem, just an observation I had. In other words, no changes required and if a race sounds like fun, go ahead and do it!

@Everyone else --
    Patrick and I have a very busy couple days ahead of us so please be patient as I circle back to this thread. Thanks!
  • Options

Hi Rich and Patrick,

I did my 5K this morning, and went from 27:07 to 26:17.

Wilmer Perez

• Options
    @Arun --
    Recommend you:
    • Go with the GF plan
    • No "need" to do any testing in the GF plans if you're confident of your training zones.
    • Then drop into the IM plan at either 14wks or 12wks depending on how confident you are of your endurance, or rather your ability to build it up over the 12 or 14wks. IOW, if you think that the net of your description of your experience with the OS + a shortened(?) GF = you should do 14wks vs 12wks of the IM plan…or you can just circle back to me later in the GF and we can talk.

@Jason --
    You'll be fine for a half marathon on 4/13 if you load up the HIM plan as planned on 3/18. That said, you could get a head start on that process by beginning to bump your long run up to the 1:20-40 range in a manner that you feel is best for you.

@Vicki --
    • No problem doing the HIM at Wk 12
    • No need to do a running test if that's not going to be a quality test. Going forward, you can test the run anytime you want whenever you feel that your run training zones / fitness have changed enough to warrant a test.

@Andres --
    What priorities would you assign to the races in that series?

@David --
    Recommend you move over to the Bike Focus plan, as that will have the bike-heavy stuff you're looking for. Re the 10k: let's cross that bridge when we get to it, keeping our eye on the longer term ball -- you don't want to reinjure / delay the healing process by racing the 10k.

@Christy --
    I recommend you move over to the IM plan now, BUT cap the long bikes to 2-2.5hrs if you're inside on a trainer. Basically, I want you in the IM plan so we can start dialing up your bike volume, within the context of reason and sanity given your location and also dialing up your long run volume.
  • Options
    Hi Coach,
    The three first races I would consider them C races and the last one a B.
    Thank you again for your time.
  • Options

Hi Coach - I posted a question regarding needed changes to my training plan on 27 Feb.  Based on your last post to others, it looks like it accidentally was missed.  If you could take a look and provide some feedback I would be grateful.

Jana

• Options
    Hi RnP

I am debating between doing Racine 70.3 or an 8hour triathlon where you do a consecutive S/B/R. distances are .24 mile swim, 11.2 bike and 2.6 run. (if you complete ten cycles in 8 hours you have done an ironman distance). I think I already can guess your answer image but I pose the question nonetheless. Thoughts? Thanks.

Mel
  • Options

Hi Rich,

I started a new job on January 1st and at the same time I started EN.  I have been pouring 60+ hours a week into work while only getting in two - 1 hour unstructured workouts a week.  I have not completed one workout of your offseason plan you had assigned to me.  For the last two weeks things are starting to get back to normal and I got 6 unstructured workouts in last week and 5 unstructured workouts in this week.  I did not race the Hyannis Half Marathon that I was signed up for as I had no chance of setting a PR.  I will not be racing the Providence Marathon either.  Would you mind sending me over a new season plan and any other suggestions necessary to start to get me ready for the Patriot Half Ironman?

Thank you,

Rich Hatch

• Options

Hi Rich-

Thanks for the Season Plan. Have implemented per your instructions. In the screencast, you mentioned that I could do any race(s) I feel like doing up until IM14 (basically the end of September) in prep for IMAZ. However, I need some guidance here. My main focus is IMAZ so anything I do from this point forward has that goal in mind (aside from the team commitments I've already mentioned to you). Here are my questions.

1. How many tri races should I try to get in this year as "prep races" for IMAZ?

2. What distances should I strive/lean towards? Oly, HIM?

3. At approximately what dates (i.e. weeks out from IMAZ) should I be doing these "prep races"? Should I be doing a HIM in Sept?

I just need some seasoned advice here so I can figure out how to best utilize my limited time, resources. I'm up for anything! Please think of my season as a blank slate, and I will do as many/few races you recommend at the times you suggest.

Thanks,

Wolf

• Options
    Coaches I have a quick question about possible timing of a BBW. Was planning on going on vacation March 23-March 30. During vaction just planning on running. Should I do a BBW before vacation or wait til I come back. A race is IM Texas May 18 Thanks