Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Scott Dinhofer's Official Coach Thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Options

caught up on the BBC lesson I missed. time to pre-program me with the bike wkos per above.

what do you want me doing for the month of September? will be executing Run & Swim as per above. took this week as a rest week, good long ride yesterday, solid trail run today, only one weekday ride, and behind on the runs..

• Options

and now I read the full final PDF from BBC and realized how much was programmed for me.

starting on block 1 - 4 weeks, tomorrow. I will plan on advancing the VO2 short & Long each week to the next WKO with increased sets...

unless you think anything should be added..

thx

• Options

@scott dinhofer - that plan is PERFECT!!! Can't wait to start seeing the workouts roll in, no matter what EVIL ERG MODE has in store for you!

~ Coach P

• Options

I touched on this in the Groupme

was a day behind & too ambitious on Friday and attempted a 4x4 VO2 long.. failed about 1.5' into the 2nd interval. came back at 6pm and did a 3x3. It was a struggle, particularly with the 3rd interval, HR there was up at 165-168 which for me is high, I think Highest I've ever had in a wko is 172. I am not a hummingbee.

at any rate, the question is on my Saturday ride, assuming my slowness was factored tremendously by a Long VO2 wko executed 14 hours prior to the ride. I think I smartly opted to do an alone ride, so as to be able to go at my own, slow pace.

Was also a day off cyle as trail run last week really hammered me, plus a decent bike on Monday outdoors for Labor day. Goal this week is to get VO2 sessions on tues/Thrs, ideally 1st thing, so I have max recovery for Saturday big ride. 2nd goal is to get daily run.. making progress.

Trail running question.. TSS should be HRTSS, correct? regular TSS based on HR is just under reporting.. Gonna try and find a 2nd day to Trail run this week

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Oh, those VO2 sessions will be pretty darn tough. Especially now that we have really focused numbers for you, there's no hiding from building new fitness. It literally feels like building new fitness, not as easy as "adding fitness back" like we do at the start of the Outseason.

You will definitely want to be rested for the sessions because they do take such a toll. For example, if you have a hard session on Thursday afternoon you're gonna have to wait 24 hours to do the VO2 session. You need a minimum of 24 hours worth of rest before these harder sessions. Kudos to you for coming back and getting it done in an abridged format.

Remember that coming off of that hard session, the next day should really just be a long aerobic ride. Those long aerobic rides are really beneficial and will increase your fitness while still living bandwidth for you to do the hard stuff during the week and the adventurous trail running goals as you have.

Normally we try to push the numbers up on the long rides, but that's a tough play right now. Instead the goal is to keep the mid-week WKOS are and keep the volume up on the weekends...trail running, cycling, just aerobic time to max it out!

How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

ok, so I had a good week two weeks ago (almost 800 TSS) last week was only 500. I am going to help my buddy move his boat which was shipped pack from the pacific to NC later this week, so it will be tough to do anything. Trying to just do a lot in the next three days before that happens and will use the 3-5 days as a needed break and focus on only having protein shakes for a few days..

I will do FTP short tonight (skipped a bike yesterday to set up for this) run today, and vasa today. Tomorrow will be a run/ fatmax day. Wednesday long FTP & a run. Then I drive to NC. Likely we are doing a one day hop to VA beach (I'll run there) and then a day and a half to NYC (another run) then straight through to Mystic (run again before heading home) then back at it..

nothing to comment just giving you info, give me a like or agree below so I know you read this.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - I don't see you on my Final Surge side anymore...can you get me your updated TP.com username and password so I review before our call?

Thanks!

p

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Great to chat today. Finally got to look at the TP.com stuff (thank you)...here are my (random) thoughts.

• 800 TSS is the target, but last week was ALL THE TSS after a long time of no TSS. Let’s stagger 800 TSS (last week), 650 this week, 800 next, 700, 800. 750, 800. 800. 800, etc. So basically by mid DEC you are consistently 800 TSS and safely so.  Think of it of more as PULL vs PUSH approach. I have added "notes" to each week in Training Peaks.
    • It’s challenging to have 50% of your TSS load on the weekends. I’d try to keep it at like 35% to 40% (280 to 320). If 40%…that means you’d have to earn 480 during the week….or 96 TSS a day on the 800 week….or 64 TSS/day on a 700 TSS week (so doable). At 96 per day, your TP.com shows that’s a Fat Max 80’ plus a 30’ run. Or a VO2 long bike workout plus a short run. Or a double run day of 10-ish miles. 
    • Lower weekend TSS makes room for weekly consistency (and distributes the load of work more evenly). It's kind of a virtuous cycle...your consistency during the week makes the weekends more manageable...and the more manageable your weekends are, the easier the rest of your week will be.
    • Ideally weekends are single sessions (big bike / big run) so you have more time to recover between them. Only "add" runs in PM if you "need" TSS. 

I know part of you will be impatient, but if we hit all these targets as listed the weekly average will be 757 TSS which is pretty damn good.

In terms of your week, I think you have a good plan. My generic thoughts:

• Mon - FatMax Ride / 4M Brick
    • Tues - Bike WKO / 2M short brick
    • Wed - Easy double run day. Optional early FatMax ride.
    • Thu - Bike WKO / 2M short brick
    • Fri - FatMax Ride / 4M Brick
    • Sat - Long / Adventure ride day
    • Sun - Long run / Hike / Time on Feet Day

Where is your head at around this?

~ Patrick

• Options

^^THIS^^ is awesome.. totally awesome... before I read this today I was thinking exactly the issue of the continual 4-5 hr weekend ride all winter.. I DO see the weekend bump on my PMC each week, so I totally agree with the need to smooth that out and do it every day..

I actually cut and pasted your note to word, added a weekly chart with TSS goals and printed to tape up on the wall!

• Options

hit the 650 last week... did a 3:30 ride with two friends on Saturday, that was the route regardless what I wanted to do, did a 14 mile trail run (without Tucker) found cool new parts of harriman, bonked, and ran out of fluids! But making gains towards a big run I have planned in November. This week will be backing off the Trail run, so have to increase others.

Racing, WTRL, etc. Is there any downside for me doing races vs VO2 short or Long? if you had a prefernce of me keeping one of the structured WKOS, which would you advise I keep & which would you be ok with racing instead of structured?

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 12:39PM

on track with our program. only 700 TSS last week, but getting ahead and will hit the 800+ this week.

now we have NOS starting up (Monday?) - question is this; for Tues/thrs bikes, do you want me to:

-stay on protocol from BBW?

-though we've now replaced those WKOs with WTRL

-or do you want me doing the weekly interval builds?

-or a combo (tuesday wko/thursday WTRL) ?

how should we attack this "problem"?

• Options

@scott dinhofer - TSS is looking good...last 4 weeks best 4 weeks in a long time...about a year. Step back and appreciate what you have achieved. 👍

Heading into the Fall, I like the idea of your WTRL play time...They are fun and solid work. They can replace your OS work. I think WTRL has 4? 3? events after this one...at that time, we can go back to the BestBike workouts, after looking at your numbers. We might need to adjust targets.

IOW right now, fun is creating consistency...and we can leverage that...we won't need to call in will power for a while thanks to the power that "guilt of missing WTRL sessions" has on you (and all of us). We can then switch to will power and try to keep this streak going.

How is the hamstring holding up for you?

~ Coach Patrick

• Options

Question - been building up mileage for doing the Devil's Path in a few weeks. It's 24 miles and 11,000' of elevation. I had thought to do the Suffern Bear mtn trail as a tune up this weekend, 22mi/~5000'. My legs are pretty trashed for a day or three after these long runs. Thus I am thinking the right call to preserve other training would be to do another 15-18 miler this weekend, so as to preserve ability to train next week. Goal is to interrupt OS training as little as possible.

I will be in VT the weekend of the 14th, no trail running at all that week, and then doing the DP on the 21st weather dependent, EG, if there no snow in the high peaks

Thoughts?

Below are my weekly running stats & long run stats for the last 8 or so weeks.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2020 11:25AM

ok, @Coach Patrick you never responded in time.. So, Patrick marsh invited me for a "hike" of the first half of the devil's path, so why not? total beatdown, but now I know what I am in for!

let's look at how to optimize for success in a Devils path attempt 2 weeks from now.

this coming week, normal week. Likely in VT next weekend so I'll hopefully skimo. That said, I have a kickr there, am bringing my lauf to leave there all winter and will plan on bringing winter cycling gear. Given weather forecast and lack of snow, I am planning on a quality ride on saturday and a 10 mile trail run across the back of Killington range on Sunday.

next week, thinking I do Tuesday WTRL, then fat max on Wednesday, and really taper Thursday, friday with a Devil's Path attempt on Saturday or Sunday Depending on Weather. A lot of this has to do with weather between now and then, as I need to hope trail stays ice free to the weekend of the 21st.