Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brian Terwilliger Micro Thread...

Comments

• Options

Perfect...I think you I have to baseline fitness in the mindset required to be successful in those conditions. Of the day, IRONMAN is just the biggest Workout you’ve done all year, so it makes sense to absorb it and then tackle another one. 💪

how does the leg feel post race?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Well, almost 3 weeks removed from IMMD and the leg seems to be coming around nicely. Taking it as confirmation that its what I thought it was. An overuse injury. I was putting in a ton of mileage on the run and I think it just became too much. Been doing the 4 week post IM plan and sticking to it pretty well. But with no races and it not being "real" training, its easy to let a workout go here and there. And all the Z1 running got to me so took the legs out for a spin and have been able to get back to running some sub 7 miles off the bike and will try again to pop a few more tomorrow.

I've loaded up the 16 week balanced marathon training plan for Boston as a place holder, starts on Dec 30th.

Obviously how hard I go at Boston will be determined by my leg. If its on the mend as I suspect, and continues to progress as quickly as it has with the reduced load and lower intensity, I suspect it will be back to normal in quick order and I will attempt to destroy it and get a big PR. If not, well, I'll just smooth it and enjoy best I can.

My focus in 2020 is to be as brutally fast as possible at Half IMs and shorter. Trying to find a few HIM other than the White Lake on the 2nd weekend in Sept. Looking strongly at the IM Virginia 70.3 in Roanoke on June 7th. Unless the bike course is just astronomically stupid amount of climbing. They haven't released it yet. And have at 10K and 5K the Saturday before that would be a great test to see where my running is at. And giving a good look at IMNC 70.3 in Wilmington as a season ender. Fast swim, flat bike and run. Semi local.

What should I load up for Nov and Dec while I wait for the marathon plan to kick in on Dec 30th for Boston?

And while I hate it, I'd like to keep swimming once a week just to keep the body used to it, burn some calories, and not totally lose my form. I'd really like to put up some blistering swim times and well under 2:30 bike times (like 2:15 at White Lake in Sept is my long shot goal). I went 2:24 there last year and honestly think I can get a lot faster on that course. So is there a good swim supplement to add in to continue through Boston? Can do one on the "cross training" day, which is Wednesday. Its off, cross train, stretch.

And looking to get in some of the Zwift Hang On Rides, but don't see them on the calendar anymore. They coming back soon?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Decided to take the leg out for a spin again tonight. Post IM plan had a 45' run, 10' WU, then 2x8' (4') Z1, then Z1 till 45. Which makes no damn sense. Its all Z1. So I did the 8' intervals at Z4. Clocked a 6:32 then a 6:36 pace for them. Felt good. Slight irritation at the very bottom of the glute where ass meets leg. But no actual pain, or a feeling of dread that this thing is gonna bite any second now. Toward the middle of the latter part of the run it gave me a little nervous feeling but it went away quickly. Will keep it easy through the weekend and try to pop a couple good miles next week. My run fitness is greatly lacking from all the time off and I don't need to push it. Plenty of time for that. I just can't run Z1 all the time. Drives me nuts.

• Options

I like how when the workout says on one end it doesn’t make sense that you choose 04. It’s like two and three don’t exist! 😂

The fall is all about “team wait for it” which is the run durability program. There are several different durability options available to you inside Final Surge, with an exclamation on the dashboard and the images under my weekly video. I would pick phase 2 or phase 3 of either durability plan, each comes in for we can silence, to start on Monday to give you some structure. The run program obviously has a fair amount of basic running, so maybe you want to do the balance or the one for cycling you can preview all of them in Final Surge. Those will help keep you on track and close the gap to when you start the marathon.

The fall is all about “team wait for it” which is the run durability program. There are several different durability options available to you inside Final Surge, with an exclamation on the dashboard and the images under my weekly video. I would pick phase 2 or phase 3 of either durability plan, each comes in for we can silence, to start on Monday to give you some structure. The run program obviously has a fair amount of basic running, so maybe you want to do the balance or the one for cycling you can preview all of them in Final Surge. Those will help keep you on track and close the gap to when you start the marathon.

in the meantime it’s not a bad idea to invest some work in core strength, glute bridges, etc.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Alright, to give you a heads up and idea of where I am at, I loaded up the Balanced Durability program, phase 2, then 3 to end on Dec. 29. Added in the OS Swim Supplement. Which as you know is two days a week. Auto load puts them on Monday and Friday. I'm not a fan of Monday's gazillion 50 yard intervals. And I only plan on swimming one day a week so will be doing Friday's swim set, but not sure what day I am going to put it on. Either Monday or Wednesday probably, but in reality life will probably have me bouncing it around between M, W, and F. I think the Balanced Durability had the best mix of workouts and ample, yet not high volume running to best let my leg come around but still get in some strong running before marathon training starts Dec 30th. Have the balanced marathon plan loaded up just as a place holder at this time for Boston. Dec 30th start, April 20th race day. Though the plan ends on the 19th so it doesn't do that stupid shift and move things a day forward on the calendar.

I've decided to go the balanced route this year instead of doing full on dedicated marathon training and excluding entirely the bike and swim. While I have no evidence to support, I do believe, at least to a degree, the heavy run focus of the marathon plan, while it produced the exact results I wanted, and the continuation of a heavy run focus, caused me to be well behind on and struggling on the bike. This caused me to probably chase bike gains at an effort that wasn't sustainable or productive, especially while continuing to run at a high level, leading to my body just finally saying you're doing too much and expressing itself with the leg injury. I believe the continual work on the bike, even at the low level of the balanced plan will keep the engine built and getting stronger, hopefully expressing itself with strong run performance even at the lower volume of the balanced plan vs the dedicated marathon plan.

Due an end of season phone call but I don't really see a purpose to it. We'll push it forward to after I lay out my seasons races/road map to have a conversation about training structure and plan progression. And how to properly choose terrain for Boston training. Particularly down hill work.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 6:19PM

@Coach Patrick

Strap in and grab a drink, gonna be a little long. But simple.  

Just submitted the ‘submit your races’ form. It covers the 2 big races for the year. Boston Marathon on 04/20/20 and my A race triathlon, White Lake Half Iron on 09/12/2020. Boston and how its run will depend entirely on how the hamstring continues to come along. Do I race it or do I run it, get the medal, go drink beer? We’ll probably know pretty early on in the training cycle which direction things are going. I currently have the 2019 Marathon Plan, Balanced Level 3 loaded up to start on Dec 30th3nd April 19th. Will there be a 2020 plan coming out that has changes?  I like the balanced plan because I do think a dedicated marathon plan with 6 or 7 days a week of running is probably not in my Hammy’s best interest. And the additional cycling and limited swimming will still be building the aerobic engine while giving the leg and my body a little bit of a break from the pounding that high volume running incurs.  Plus I will be able to jump right into racing Triathlon without having to do a swim camp or other build cycle for the swim and bike before doing Tris.  

So here is the years schedule with races tagged as 100% or Strong likelihood. *Denotes a SetUp Events triathlon, explanation at end

Feb 8th, Broken Ankle 12 Hour endurance run (registered, it was $12, doing it for fun and not actually going to run for 12 hours, 30+ of us from run club are going for fun, may give bib away who knows)

April 20th Boston Marathon (100%, discussed above, A race for running in 2020)

*May 16th Pinehurst Sprint Triathlon (strong likelihood)

*May 30th Triangle Sprint Triathlon (100%, its in my backyard, goal is to have the fastest bike split of the day, even faster than the elite/open division guys)

June 6th Run The Quay 15K challenge (7 AM10K, then 8:30 AM a 5K, may or may not take it serious, very hilly)

*July 25th Mission Man Sprint Triathlon (strong likelihood)

*Sept 12th White Lake Fall Half Iron (100%, this is my AAA race for the year. I have never lost this race and don’t plan on losing this year, its my current HIM PR with a 4:54, want to go sub 4:45and sub 2:20 on bike, went 2:25 in 2018)

*Sept 13th White Lake Fall Sprint (100%, I’m already in town for the half the day before, stick around and do the sprint)

*Oct 3rd Sanding Beach Olympic Triathlon (strong likelihood)

*Oct 4th Sandling Beach F-1 Sprint Triathlon (run, bike, swim, run, bike, swim) (strong likelihood, same as white lake, I’m already here, might as well do it)

Oct 22nd IRONMAN North Carolina 70.3 (current word is that is the date, official announcement from IM yet to be made on the date)

Alright, whats with all the SetUp Events races? They operate the North Carolina Triathlon Series and to qualify for year end prizes and to be crowned Series Champion you have to race in at least 5 races. Normally I would do the White Lake Spring Olympic and Sprint, then the Triangle Tri, then the White Lake Fall Half and Sprint to get my 5. The Spring races are the weekend after the Boston Marathon. That’s not good for me obviously. So I have to find 2 others. So my thoughts were to do the Pinehurst Sprint and Mission Man Sprint, that gets me my 5 when including Triangle and 2 White Lake fall races. But Sprints don’t provide as many points as the Olympic and Half distances obviously, and racking up points is how you win the series. IF at that point I am NOT the series point leader, I go do the Sandling Beach races to run down the leader. OR I race them to prevent myself from being run down if it looks like 2nd place could catch me. I won the series championship in 2018 and I want to repeat in 2020.

So need a road map on how to get from the Boston Marathon finish line to the White Lake Fall Half Iron starting line ready to destroy it. My brain is telling me 14 weeks on a half iron plan from June till White Lake on Sept 12th is the way to go, so needing filler for May. Heavy swim focus and a bike kick start while greatly reducing run volume post Boston before kicking it back up in June? Or am I going about this all wrong? Would starting HIM training July 1 and using May and June for shorter and harder intensity be better?

I assume new 2020 half iron bike, run and minimalist plans will be coming out soon. I did the minimalist plan for my 4:54 PR and enjoyed the plan.

So, map out my plans for the year boss man!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 05/30/2020 Triangle Sprint Triathlon
    • 09/12/2020 White Lake Fall Half Iron (White Lake, NC)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on November 12, 2019
    • On 12/2/2019  Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  12/29/2019
    • On 12/30/2019 Load the  -- 2019 Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on  5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  9/13/2020
    • On 9/14/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/27/2020

Your Notes

IRONMAN Maryland in 10:22 on a horribly injured Hamstring. But seem to be coming back pretty strong on the run. Still sore, but no "pain". Its not limiting my running at the current lower volume. Cycling is as strong as ever.Currently just started the Balanced Durability Phase 2 (following the IRONMAN transition plan I did in Oct.) Will move to phase 3 beginning of Dec. Continuing to swim 1 day a week and plan on doing so through Boston if fatigue levels allow it as I plan on jumping right into triathlon races immediately after Boston so want to have some swimming in the training mix. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited December 5, 2019 12:58AM

@Coach Patrick

There is only one way to say this so I just have to come out with it.

A couple days ago I suffered a serious attack by a dog and lets just say that the damage is pretty severe. Especially to my face and mouth. Spent many hours in surgery getting put back together.

I should know in 2 weeks or so what kind of use of my mouth I will have with regards to how I can eat and drink in normal life, but also on the bike and running. Can I use a straw? I think so. Can I take in solids? Unknown. Will also get a handle on how many follow up surgeries I will need to make me look and function as normal as possible.

I'll let you know if I can continue with EN soon or if I have to drop out because paying for such if I can't actually train appropriately isn't a wise financial decision.

Though I should be getting a discount for picking my questions and for hitting my 3 year anniversary. But I have no idea how to claim those.

Though winning those Normatecs that you will be giving away soon would be pretty sweet and help with my recovery!

• Options
    Holy shit bro. I am so sorry to hear of this... please let me know how we
    can help in any way.

We have an injury time our program that gives you two months no cost so I
    will have Brenda implement that ASAP.

I can help you with whatever training stuff you can handle.

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Coach Patrick

Have my first post surgery meeting with my surgeons tomorrow afternoon for them to check on how their work is healing. I gotta say, they worked some miracles in the OR getting me back together and looking presentable enough to be seen in public. While emotionally difficult I ventured out over the weekend and allowed my oldests 16th birthday party to take place as planned on Sunday. Those coming were family and very close friends so letting them see me wasn't all that bad, difficult, but not bad. They are gonna have to look at me for many years to come anyway. Let them suffer.

Can drink though a straw no problem. I did try to drink out of a cup for fun. It didn't go well. I can eat anything that I can cut down small enough to get into the small opening I can make on one side of my mouth. Other than spicy and hot stuff. My mouth is still a maze of stitches where they sewed all the parts back together. I suspect hot sauce would not be fun. Which sucks. Cause I love spicy food that makes me sweat and my nose run.

Hopefully the doctors clear me to start swimming in a week or two. Gotta at least do something. I know that if I tried to run now the pain would be too much, even on a brisk walk it probably would be. And the puncture wounds in my leg and knee would probably get angry. But I suspect I could do some easy Z1 Zwifting soon where I'm not getting my HR up or sweating all over myself.

I love training far more than racing. But without a race, I can't focus my training or my mind. So to give me a goal to reach for I registered for IRONMAN North Carolina 70.3 on 10/17 today.

I still plan on attempting Boston if I am able to even somewhat train. And I have no doubt I will stupidly sign up for a few more triathlons before the price increases on Jan 1. I'd rather sign up and not be able to race, or race slowly than pay stupid amounts for late registration.

While I'm not going to come out of this looking as hot and sexy as I did prior, chics do dig scars, I do think from a physical and muscular standpoint, I should eventually (and hopefully fairly shortly) be able to get back into it and start putting in the hard work to achieve great things. Plus now I have an excuse to grow a giant ZZ Top or Duck Dynasty beard to hide the deformity. Could be a win win there!

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks Patrick.

• Options

Thanks for the update. As of right now else don’t have a Grow a ZZTop Beard plan in the library, but I know that together we can cook something up that’s not too bland and not too spicy. 😂

my guesss is that infection / mitigating it is a big risk...so you might be lifting before you do much else. But whatever they clear you for we can do it!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited December 23, 2019 11:50PM

@Coach Patrick

Another update for you. I've gotten in some Zwift sessions at steady Z1 effort just to turn the pedals and engage in some kind of physical activity. The first few sessions, even though I wasn't doing any real work (HR 110), the areas they sewed me back together got a bit annoyed and swelled up a little more than when I'm just sitting around doing nothing, while annoying and an increased discomfort (but no pain) I could tell pushing hard would likely be a bad decision. So this week I decided to push some short Z2/Z3 intervals to get the HR up and sweat a little. Greater swelling and discomfort followed, but no pain. HR was through the roof compared to where it was before. The swelling returned to what is currently a normal level of swelling and discomfort after a shortish period after I got off the bike, so I think thats a win. But throwing down some hard rides or something like the Sunday Cruise and Crush wouldn't be a good idea. But I think in a couple more weeks the Cruise and Crush and some hard sessions will be within my grasp. Albeit at a lowered FTP and new lower zones.

I also bought a new Mountain bike right before the attack (Trek X-Caliber 8) and it finally arrived as I left the hospital and my wife had to pick it up because I was unable to drive. So it has been sitting in the garage unused for near 3 weeks. But yesterday I went and rode with my son on a local trail. Super easy effort and just trying to figure out how to ride the thing. Never rode one before. Was pretty fun. I think I'd like mountain biking if I could find some trails around here that allow me to throw the hammer down and actually get in some work vs just short climbs and a lot of down hills and coasting and not trying to crash into a tree. But don't worry, I won't be switching to mountain biking. Totally recreational to do with my son as he joined a mountain bike racing league (NICA).

One a semi good note, I ran for the first time today (12/22), 20 days out from the attack. Just an easy Z1 5K. Legs good. Puncture wounds good. But I could feel every foot fall in my face, and I'm sure the near freezing temps didn't help blowing on my face. Swelled up, and because the right side of my mouth doesn't work right, I had to keep wiping drool away. But I got a run in so I am happy.

I can eat pretty normal, as long as I cut stuff up as I can't open my mouth fully yet, and may never be able to. My current recovery goal is to be able to eat a hamburger. I can drink out of a can and bottle with no problems. And out of a cup if I am careful. But I still use a straw almost all the time.

Boston "training" starts next Monday 12/30. We shall see if I can take the volume even at lower effort and slower pace. I should have a firm grasp on what I can and can't do within several weeks I suspect.

Was going to get in the pool this coming week, but Christmas schedules are screwy and staying out of nasty public pool water for another week is probably best. So hoping to get in shortly after the new year.

Obviously I threw out my entire race schedule. Other than Boston cause thats already paid for. And gives me a goal to get back at it as best I can. And now have IMNC 70.3 on the calendar 10/17. That may be it for the year. But hoping to give a shot at the Triangle Sprint on May 30th. The White Lake Half Iron on Sept 12th for some reason is no longer happening, which prompted the IMNC registration. But there is another half down at the beach on 9/12 so if I'm doing well I'll sign up for that. Having something to train for will help in my recovery if training is possible. Having to half ass training and not really "race" will be heartbreaking.

Still growing a big beard as I can't shave yet.

Have my next follow up with the surgeons on Jan 8th. On Edit: My wife refuses to allow me to swim or put in "hard" work (whatever constitutes the new 'hard') until after this appointment. Which sucks. But its the right choice.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger thanks again for the update. Sounds to me as though you are exactly where you should be. I mean that from the Fitness perspective, as well as a recovery perspective. Trauma to the face is a significant challenge for endurance athletes. I think most people think about their legs or sitting on a bike seat, but truly it’s our face that’s out there in no matter what sport we choose.

I am glad you have pushed the limits, very gently, of your fitness just to see how things function. These are good pieces of information to share back with the surgeon as you go for your appointment on Wednesday.

I have no data to back this up, but I believe that being active will certainly help with your recovery, even if it’s from a blood flow perspective. I would absolutely stay away from the swimming pool for a while just because of the risk of infection. But let’s see what your surgeon says.

if intensity is off the table, we can always find craftier ways to get you ready for Boston in the short term. I will look forward to your update and then we can go from there.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2020 11:13PM

@Coach Patrick

I'll try to keep it short, but may get long, sorry in advance if it does.

Alright, update following 2nd follow up with surgeon and then a visit to my regular doctor for a physical and updating his records with my 'incident'.

These are the things I remind myself every day.

1) I am lucky to be alive.

2) I am lucky I am not seriously deformed or severely disabled.

The surgeon is very proud of himself (and rightly so) with his work and how well he was able to put me back together. Particularly my physical appearance and mouth function. They really did an incredible job bordering on miracle work. Laying in bed waiting to go into surgery, holding my face on with a towel and having the surgical team looking over me and openly questioning how they were going to close everything up was quite the experience. They were prepping me to look like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre guy and were expecting at least 2 follow up surgeries and possibly more.

Well, it appears that they will not need to do any more surgeries, so I got that going for me. I thought about posting a pic in here of some of the damage, but honestly, you don't want to see that. But maybe in my Boston race report I'll throw one in. Its not for the weak stomached.

I still can't open my mouth fully and never will be able to and the right side doesn't move or function normally. If I smile, only the left side of my mouth turns up. Its quite comical. With the large pieces that were ripped out by the dog they had to shrink everything down and pull stuff together to close the gaps and sew things up.

But now that we are far enough out and healed enough to trim the beard and possibly even shave, it is truly shocking how amazing of a job they did. Where I was ready to literally look like Leather Face from TCSM, it is actually difficult to see what happened if you hadn't known me before. You can tell as there is scaring and pretty defined lines of where I was sewn up, the scar cream they suggested is doing great work on softening things. My outward physical appearance is 1,000 times better and beyond what I had ever hoped for, and they hoped for. And the friend who babysat my wife in the ER and saw what I looked like is absolutely shocked at the results and appearance. If someone just met me they wouldn't believe what happened to me based on what I look like.

Thats the outside. Inside of the mouth is a whole different story. Still swollen, sensitive and easily irritated by normal daily activities like talking (which I do all day for a living), eating, and exercise. It remains quite angry for several hours after finishing a 'work out'.

So, where do things stand after being able to 'work out' for a few weeks now and give things a shot.

Running sucks. Like horribly bad. My HR is through the roof compared to where it should be for the power/pace I am doing. Pretty much only Z1, if that. No doubt the massive reduction in volume and effort following the first week of August injury, post IM volume plunge, then 3 weeks of nothing following the incident and the associated weight gain from lack of activity and holidays is a great contributor to this. But every mile seems like mile 20 of the Ironman. And anything beyond Z1 is an very hard effort. This past Thursday (1/16) was the first run that I felt like I was 'running' and not a death march slog. I'm on the Marathon balanced program (today finishes week 3). I try to just get in the distance called for but haven't been able to do so on all the runs. The Monday run is very hard as fatigue from the Sunday 'long' run really carries through. Where several months ago I could put it on cruise control and 7:30 miles were basically no effort, now an 8:30 mile is hard work. So while very frustrated, and more so upset with what I can do, I just refer back to the 2 things listed at the top of the post. But on Thursdays run I was able to knock out so quicker miles. But really had to force myself and it felt like a time trial. And then my damn auto calculated CP on Stryd fell even more. Ugh. And you are right. Its amazing how much work your face does. We don't think about it. We think about our feet, our legs, core, and arms. We don't give a seconds worth of thought to our face. But the breathing, eating, drinking, the elements beating on it, and just how much the structure of our face moves with each footfall. You see it in a lot of race photos where peoples faces are all stretched and distorted when the camera man snaps at just the right second. And when your mouth isn't working right, having to wipe your face off after every time you take a drink from your bottle because half of it ran down your chin. And after a few miles, whats the point, your shirt is soaking wet from sweat.

So currently I have resigned myself to and decided that reality is, the best thing I can do is probably just to follow the distances listed on the plan as best I can and run each by feel and hope to get in the listed distances just to get in the volume needed to be able to finish Boston and that Boston will be my slowest marathon ever. If I feel I can push some Z2 miles, do so, if Z1 is what its going to be that day, then thats what it is. So will be using the next few months more like a durability program just to log miles, build up my durability and hope that come spring I'll have recovered enough to put in some harder work on the run. And that post run irritation and discomfort continues to lessen. Because having a swollen and irritated face for hours after even a short run is not fun. Another aspect of the injury is how I am able to drink while running. Where before I could just grab my bottle, stick it in my mouth and give it a big squeeze now I need to take 3 and 4 small sips to get the same amount of fluid in and focus on the how and where the bottle goes into my mouth. But thats improving as well. But so far my longest run is 9 miles of slow steady Z1, the big question will be how does my mouth react and perform when we start getting into the 16 and 20 milers. Will the longer time of activity be too much for it? Who knows.

Got my first swim in last Wednesday. It also sucked. The continual having to open my mouth wide to breath is tough. Especially since my mouth doesn't open all the way. Will improve over time I'm sure. And we are just swimming 1 time a week to stay in the water and keep the swimming muscles in use. Not really looking to do actual swim training. That will come in May.

So onto the bike. This is the one bright spot. Since I am on Zwift, don't have atmospheric conditions adding difficulty or irritation. While my power and endurance are way down, I can put in some pretty good work. So where prior to the attack the plan was to crush the run and chase a PR at Boston and just do maintenance work on the bike, things have been flipped. The inability to run fast and hard, but the ability to bike fairly hard has me looking at upping the bike work while I just run as I can.

With 3 months until Boston, after which I will start focused tri training, what are a couple items/skills/techniques I can focus on working on while I am strapped onto the trainer for the next 3 months? My natural cadence is 90. Should I work on pushing a bigger gear at lower cadence (same watts) to build leg strength? Low cadence stuff usually destroys me pretty quick and may cause undue fatigue that will impact my already horrible run abilities, especially once the running miles start to pile up and get longer and longer. Or maybe just add volume. Who knows. Tell me what to do. A thing or 2 to focus on (other than being in the aero bars, cause thats a skill I have) would be nice.

My 2 month injury time out should be ending in a couple weeks. So I guess turn me back on as a normal Team EN guy when that expires and we will see how it goes.

Half a flatish half marathon on March 15th that I signed up for last year as a power test for Boston. Gonna see what the Stryd race predictor tells me to run at and then try to overshoot it by a few watts and see what happens and base Boston watt target on that and roll the dice. Gonna be slow but hey, it is what it is. My focus has turned crushing the fall Half Irons I am doing because I think by then I will be a fine tuned machine. And going to focus on the bike to build a big enough lead that they can't run me down. Gonna kick em in the teeth on the bike and hope they try to hang and blow up.

On Edit: Just finished todays run. To give you an idea on my HR situation todays plan had 9 miles, steady Z1. 8:32 a mile avg, avg HR 138. For comparison, pulled a run from Jan last year on the same route and similar weather conditions. It was 8 miles. 5 miles Z1, Avg 8:15 mile, HR was in the 120s, then did 3 miles Between Z2/3 which got my HR into the upper 130s to mid to upper 140s and the entire run avg only 132.

The bike HR is a bit higher than it was previous but not all that far off.

• Options

Thank you as always for the update. I appreciate your perspective on your progress, and I love how you have grounded yourself into the bigger picture. At the same time I can understand how frustrating it is on a daily basis to have explicit data showing you just how far you are now from where you were then. And then being less than 12 months ago. That said, I don’t believe there’s any muscular reason why we can’t get you back there. You are still healing and getting stronger, my bet is that by the time summer hits we will be having a different type of conversation.

If we were going to be tricky and strategic, I would have you do a great deal of work on the bike and then time on the elliptical, but that means going out in public and dealing with all of that jazz. The elliptical will keep your hips moving as well as your glutes, and will make sure the runs more bearable. The elliptical will be in place for we could really up the kids and challenge you without the cost of the additional impact or aerobic work, I believe.

if I was going to add anything else to help you with the run, it would probably be some flavor of functional strength and or jumping rope if that’s not too painful. Our goal here is to prepare you for what it means to run fast mechanically speaking. You are struggling aerobically and with your breathing, but as that disappears for a limiter will be the strength and responsiveness of your connective tissue.

How open are you to doing some of that cross training stuff? For now, let’s keep all this good aerobic work going. It all goes into the bank!

• Options
    edited January 24, 2020 6:02PM

@Coach Patrick

I'm a lazy SOB and the chances of that stuff actually happening is probably pretty slim. On jumping rope, I think that would actually be worse from a facial stand point with the rapid up down and ground impact.

From the neck down I'm 95%, from the neck up is where 99% of the problems are. I can push myself far harder than I am, but I know the cost of doing so afterward is pretty steep. And the aerobic aspect is coming around nicely. But the swelling, discomfort and possible hindrance of healing properly and as quickly as possible makes me not. But I'm getting tired of not doing actual work. So last night I decided to throw down on the run. 1 mile easy, 6 miles hard, 1 mile real easy. Especially since I am likely to not do tonights run as I have to travel to Myrtle Beach with my youngest for a mountain bike race tomorrow. So an extra day of recovery was built into my consideration. Pace ranged from 7:11 to 7:41 and power was Z3 based on CP prior to the issues (319 vs todays 289). Didn't pick a pace or power but decided that I was going to just run what I felt was a steady effort that if I had to run a 10K today that I could maintain for it and the pace/power would be whatever it was. I'm paying the price today, but I think it was worth it to get some work in and push myself. The engine is somewhat there, but its got a big restrictor plate on it.

I think consistent running (durability), putting in harder work on the bike where I am paying less of a price to help the aerobic engine, and mixing in a forced effort run with some regularity will have me primed and ready come summer to attack the fall half irons. Which are my only goal races of the year.

As one who likes to plan out and map out the future a good bit into the distance, since I am looking past Boston for obvious reasons (though my goals for it may shift in the new few weeks), having a sprint tri on May 30th (Boston 04/20, dedicated Tri training starting 04/27), initially my season roadmap had me loading up the short course plan following Boston, then moving onto Half Iron after that for a 09/12 half iron.

By the function of the calendar and length of training plans, the half iron plan for a 09/12 race won't start until 06/22. This provides an 8 week gap from 04/27 until 06/22. The short course plan would leave a gap or 3 weeks from the sprint to HIM training. What are your thoughts on not doing the short course plan but instead doing the 40K TT plan (little break from running after a marthon), to try an pop my bike power as fast and as much as possible before settling into the endurance building aspect of the HIM plan (fast then far!)? Fill the gap between TT plan and HIM plan (2 weeks I think) with Swim Camp, and we should be off and 'running' so to speak. Or would something like the "Get Faster" plan between Boston and HIM training work better than the TT plan? I'm just looking to really push and maximize the bike fitness gains I can achieve between Boston and starting HIM training on 06/22.

Also, sent an email to Emily yesterday regarding the Mount Mitchell only option of the Blue Ridge Camp but haven't heard back from her yet. Hope its something I can fit into the family calendar.

• Options

It would be awesome if you could join us for Michell day. Emily was away last week for vacation so you should've heard back by now. If not I will take care of it.

I hear you on balancing work with what your body can handle. Year of working hard when you feel right, obviously we just can't push it all the time like you used to. Hopefully will get back there at some point, it will just take time.

We get faster plan is a great alternative if you haven't done a lot of the old season. If you have, then I think the 40 km time travel plan will be more interesting for you. Is there a specific event you have in mind? Or are you just trying to fill that gap? I bet you could be a really mean time trialler if you wanted to.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Emily got up with me. Said to wait until closer to the ride so all info is current and accurate. Works for me. Will be a late decision either way depending on what family and business life is requiring. But hope to make it. Its a race to the top, right?

I'm doing the best I can and limiting myself to what my body tells me to. Skipped Monday's 6 mile run, and last night was 1 mile warm up, 7 miles fast, 1 mile cool down. Got 6 of the 7 in really good and shortly after I ticked over into the 7th fast mile my body said knock it off, so I just smoothed easy Z1 until 8 miles and went home. Have 12 on the schedule Sunday. Will see how it goes. Its hit or miss. Like Monday, 6 miles Z1 is generally not a problem, just jog, get it done, no worries. But my body was telling me to not do it at all so I didn't. But when I do run, my form feels much better and seems to be coming back and my pace is starting to align itself with my Power from Stryd and get closer to where it should be for the power. Where before it was lagging behind by a good 30 to 45 seconds compared to what my pace was for X power before. Such as Z1 at 260 watts used to be @ 8:10 a mile and it had been sticking around 8:45 to 9:00 at 260 watts when I started running again. It will all come back together over time.

On the topic of what to follow the Balanced Marathon plan for Boston with, I at that time won't be training for any specific race. I have a sprint tri on May 30th. Its in my backyard and I like the race so I do it, but I'm not looking to focus on it or train for it specifically. And don't think 4-5 weeks would be enough time for specific tri training. Especially when recovering from a marathon. But I do however want to destroy the bike and try to have the fastest bike split of the day, 5K trail run off the bike be damned.

My A+ race is the OBX Half Iron in Manteo NC on the outer banks on Sept 12th. I currently have the 2020 Half Iron Bike Focused plan loaded into Final Surge as a placeholder and it starts on June 22nd. So I basically have just short of a 2 month window between Boston and dedicated half iron training. And with the bike being the focus this year for multiple reasons (leg injury still nags, dog attack, focused on run last year, bike wasn't where I wanted it last year, etc...) looking to build the bike as much as best possible in that window so I can grow on it in the dedicated half iron training. this will be followed by IMNC 70.3 on Oct 17th, which is an A- race and just looking to carry previous fitness into it from the Sept race.

And I would love to find a time trial around here that allows TT bikes. There aren't any of any kind. Or even within a reasonable drive that I have been able to locate. I love to just bury myself and destroy myself in such things. So I'm looking at either attempting to go sub 60 on the ADZ (tough for bigger guys) or a straight up 40K TT on Tempus Fugit at the start of HIM training.

• Options

I spent a few minutes poking around online to see if I could find a time trial in your area. Good God you weren't kidding, there is nothing out there. There is no shortage of amazing outdoor events for you to crush yourself on, but no such thing as a time trial. Looks like Zwift Could be your best bet after all. There's nothing wrong with trying to do a time trial up the Alpe. It's a great goal, and is full of all the mental toughness and suffering you could possibly want but built in a safe environment. Seems like a win-win to me.

I appreciate the balance you are striking between listening to your body and continuing to challenge yourself. At the end of the day, we are going to have to take your training week by week to see how you are advancing. While I understand there's no way to have a complete return to the state you were once in re complete physical health / top functioning, I do look forward to seeing what's possible given your work ethic and commitment.

Limits were made to be broken. And you like smashing stuff! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

At a recent NICA event at one of the local Trek stores a representative from USA Cycling (or whatever the national body is) was there and I asked him if there were any time trials in the area or near by. He said no and really the only ones are in multi day stage races. Certainly not my thing. I'm a triathlete. I go fast in a straight line. Actual bike racing? I'd crash and die. He then laughed at me for riding Zwift. Told him any time he wants to throw down for a 40K TT to call me, and tell the TDF winner he's wrong for training on Zwift. Was honestly kind of a big douche and not in anyway welcoming or showing any interest in attracting someone to the sport. But thats roadies.

In the next day or two will be throwing a question up in the forums on smart trainers, see if you can chime in. Would like your thoughts/insights.

And man, I am looking forward to giving this new "Virtual Run" feature from Garmin a try to see how it works with Zwift. I have found that the Stryd has me running way slower on Zwift than the treadmill reads and what the Garmin records for "indoor run". I know none of them are accurate but Stryd/Zwift lagging over a mile behind for a 5 mile run vs what the treadmill says and what my watch says? Please.

I'm not looking for dead on accuracy, I just want to be pretty close. And since I run by power and not pace, and generally for time not a specific distance, I get the workout in I'm supposed to. But I want credit for my miles damnit!

• Options

I saw your post on FB re trainers; you seem to be a douche magnet...good thing you are around to smack them all down. 👊🤣

Please demo that virtual run deal. I know some folks on the team have purchased a Runn Sensor for their treadmill for this issue, and I believe eventually for gradient as well: https://npe-inc.com/runn-smart-treadmill-sensor/

Might be worth picking their brains either in the forums or in the Run GroupMe.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Got to try out virtual run last night. We had tornadoes, 60+ mph wind, hail, and flooding so running outside wasn't an option. So perfect time to give it a test.

It worked awesome.

I'm not a treadmill hater. I like it quite a bit most of the time. But I could never get my milstone foot pod to work properly. Maybe they are better now that Zwift owns them. So never really used the run feature on Zwift. Then I got the Stryd and was excited to be able to run on Zwift with some accuracy. Nope. It was just as bad, and possibly even worse than the Milstone pod. Which made no damn sense to me. I'd have the Stryd app open on my phone, it would be reading power, pace, cadence and I'd adjust the incline in the app to match the treadmill because unlike on the road, stryd doesn't know when you are climbing an incline on the treadmill. The pace on the Stryd app was always dead on or within just a couple seconds of the treadmill pace. But Zwift, I'd be lagging way behind and 'running' at an unrealistically slow pace. Often a minute a mile or more slower than reality.

But with the virtual run feature Stryd, Treadmill, Watch, and Zwift were all in near prefect harmony. Had some connectivity issues with the stryd mid run which caused me to have to restart stryd recording in the app so the actual stryd data doesn't match as its 3 miles short. But that didn't bother me. Just gotta work on my set up a little.

I hope Garmin pushes this feature out in updates for additional watches in the near future. I believe people will really like it and Zwift running will see a big increase in regular users.

So whats your thoughts on my trainer dilemma? Core of H3? And the long shot option, the Kickr Bike? If its full price I'm a hard no. But if the 20% off coupon at REI works, I can be heavily tempted.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger thanks for the update! That sounds amazing. I know your technology standards, or at least demand for accuracy, it's fairly high compared to the average Endurance Nation member. If something can meet your standards, then it's probably good for 95% of the team. My biggest complaint about running on Zwift is that it's just too many pieces of the puzzle, and I just want to run. Let's keep it going...time to earn some of those badges! 😀

You absolutely want to go direct drive, there's no substitute option there for you. The gold standard is the kicker bike, it's just so quiet and the accuracy is off the charts I think you would be much happier with that purchase. But it does cost a pretty coin. If I'm not mistaken @Trent Prough Just ordered one, he mentioned the other day in a group me chat. He might have some input for you.

I would probably go Kickr Core. The reported "lag" in power for workouts on the S3 would be a killer. but I am not a fan of the tiny two legs of the core. So I woud probably go kickr core + a rocker plate so you could lock it down and get more "real feel" out of the thing.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Found a time trial! The Carolinas Cycling Association Time Trial Championship.

And its 2 weeks after the Boston Marathon. Damnit!

• Options

Two weeks after the Boston marathon sounds like a stupid human trick. Why would you not do that? Lol. I am only half joking.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

2 weeks after an IM I would do it. I'd have a metric crap ton of cycling fitness. But my cycling endurance after marathon training and a marathon will be crap.

I am absolutely loving the new virtual run on my 945 synching to Zwift. I am almost hoping weather is crap on Sunday so I can do my 14 miler on Zwift and get the Bakers Dozen badge for running a half marathon.

Had 10 miles yesterday. Lionel Sanders was coming up behind me so I dropped him like it was the last 2 miles of Kona. He didn't know we were racing. But a win is a win!

• Options

😂 I love it. Your hard work is really going to pay off later this season. I’m curious to see how your body continues to adapt to the increased training load. We also likely need to be aware of the temperature change as they come with a shift in the season as well as additional sweating or need for hydration could prove to be a challenge. Love following your progress!

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger so, have you bought a trainer yet or what?

• Options
    edited March 2, 2020 8:12PM

@Coach Patrick

REI's semi annual 20% off sale starts in a week or two and trainers have always been eligible in the past so waiting for that. So still just rotating my bike and the wifes bike back and forth on the Kickr Snap until then.

Still debating between the Kickr Core and the Saris H3. Its a coin toss.

But the Kickr Bike has really caught my attention, and while it is likely not going to be eligible for the 20% off at REI, my LBS will give me 10% off. While a huge expense for a trainer, the adjustability between riders and reducing the wear and tear put on my other bikes by getting them off the trainer is an attractive option. Anyone on the team take the plunge on this thing yet?

The smart thing though is probably get the H3 to save money and as holder of an REI Mastercard, start using it for all purchases to build up a large dividend to have available to put toward the kickr bike in a year. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see the price on it come down, and/or additional features added to it such as aerobars with shifting.

And I haven't seen any reports of it yet, probably because they haven't shipped in large numbers, but with the fiasco they had with the '18 Kickr, I'd hate to spent $3,500 on a trainer that has serious problems.

I half joke with my wife though that we can get the Kickr Bike for me, and with the 20% off and $200 gift card for REI I have avabilable, we can sell the Snap to one of our friends, and we can get her the Kickr Core for next to nothing. She didn't say no...

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 1:54PM

@Coach Patrick

Well, I think I have decided to pull the plug on Boston. I'm just not recovered enough for it to be an enjoyable experience. While my physical recovery is coming along pretty well, my mental and emotional recovery not so much. And I don't believe that pushing myself for the next 7 weeks at the high run volume marathon training demands is in my best interest. My legs can likely take it. But I don't know that my brain can. And its a lot of time and money to not enjoy myself, or worse, injure myself or set back my recovery an unnecessary amount. So time to shift gears and focus our recovery and training on the A race, OBX Half Iron on Sept 12th.

So here are my races for the year.

March 15th, Tobacco Road Half Marathon (signed up last year as a CP/Power test for Stryd to set zones for Boston, now just to run it as best I can and hopefully get a bump in my Stryd Auto CP).

May 30th, Triangle Sprint Triathlon. Goal is to destroy the bike, run be damned. Stupid, I know. But I don't have the run currently to hold off those sub 20 5K freaks so gotta get em on the swim and bike to have a shot.

June 6th Run The Quay 15K Challenge (hilly 10K followed by hilly 5K, use as Stryd CP test)

Sept 12th OBX Half Iron, A+ Race for the year. Putting everything into this. Like everything. Going for broke to smash my HIM PR of 4:55 or whatever it is. I firmly believe that a 2:15 bike (pending conditions) is a realistic stretch goal with 2:20 being more than realistic.

Oct 17th, Ironman NC 70.3, A minus race. Carry previous fitness into it, have fun and party with friends.

So, marathon plan removed from calendar. Goal is to get as fast/strong on the bike as possible before dedicated HIM training starts @June 22nd.

What should I load up? Short course till May 30th? Then something else to bridge to June 22nd? Or a different plan to carry me from now until close to the June 22nd time frame?

So road map me until June 22nd Boss Man.

On edit: Well damn, looks like the REI sale isn't until May. 20-30% off is a big hunk of change when taking about the cost of high end trainers so may have to sit on my hands for a bit.