Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brian Terwilliger Micro Thread...

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised.

Your Notes

So, marathon plan removed from calendar. Goal is to get as fast/strong on the bike as possible before dedicated HIM training starts @June 22nd.

Your Races

• March 15th, Tobacco Road Half Marathon (signed up last year as a CP/Power test for Stryd to set zones for Boston, now just to run it as best I can and hopefully get a bump in my Stryd Auto CP).
    • May 30th, Triangle Sprint Triathlon. Goal is to destroy the bike, run be damned. Stupid, I know. But I don't have the run currently to hold off those sub 20 5K freaks so gotta get em on the swim and bike to have a shot.
    • June 6th Run The Quay 15K Challenge (hilly 10K followed by hilly 5K, use as Stryd CP test)
    • Sept 12th OBX Half Iron, A+ Race for the year. Putting everything into this. Like everything. Going for broke to smash my HIM PR of 4:55 or whatever it is. I firmly believe that a 2:15 bike (pending conditions) is a realistic stretch goal with 2:20 being more than realistic. 
    • Oct 17th, Ironman NC 70.3, A minus race. Carry previous fitness into it, have fun and party with friends.

Coach Notes

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/06/2020
    • On 3/2/2020  Load the    Half Marathon 12 weeks to end on 3/15/2020
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/22/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 9/13/2020
    • On 9/14/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/20/2020
    • On 9/21/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused, 12wks to end on 10/18/2020
    • On 10/19/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/1/2020

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited March 7, 2020 5:04PM

@Coach Patrick Damnit, the Neo 2 isn't even on REIs site any more. Must have moved em all out.

But...

The best part? My LBS got one in either for display or to sell, but when they were putting it together they broke the cosmetic piece of plastic that covers the end of the front metal leg and scratched up one of the stickers on the flywheel. So they marked it as "scratched" for $2,700 and my wife told em $2,500 and I'll leave with it now. And she did! $1,000 off!!!

• Options

@Coach Patrick on the suggested long rides I have no doubt I'll throw in some century rides for fun over the summer. A local cycling group, The Spiritual Spinners do a big charity ride usually the 2nd or 3rd week of June with 100 and 116 mile options for us crazy people and 20 to 62 mile options for regular folk. Last year it was cancelled for lack of volunteers. It takes a lot of them with 5 different courses. If they do it this year, I plan on doing it. There are a good number of similar events around here but are roadie heavy and I've never felt entirely safe or comfortable in them. Riding in big packs is not my thing. The 100 and 116 mile ride with Spiritual Spinners only has a handful of people. I think 2 years ago only 6 of us did the 116.

My normal training route is @33 mile loop. So most outdoor training rides will be 2 loops. Can easily do those to plan, then throw in an extra loop at Z1-2 power just to log miles and build saddle and aero bar time. But the bulk of the bike will be on the trainer.

I'm also looking at hopefully knocking out my weekend rides early enough in the morning on the trainer to then go and ride mountain bikes with my youngest who started racing NICA this year. He'll drop my ass but I'll have run just turning the pedals and trying not to crash into a tree. So there will be additional volume, at a lower intensity.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger You and wifey are officially invited to help me negotiate $hit ANY TIME. I want set up pictures please! 🤣

You've got to be pretty pumped about that training now...and with the weather turning... 🚴🚀

• Options

@Coach Patrick She is a beast. My father has long said "The most feared words in the English language are Hi, this is Alison Terwilliger."

She's long been a top performer and nearly always the only female in her area at her employers in the man heavy world of commercial lending. Past Rotary and Chamber President. Panel leader for Bunker Labs for some of their musters. Wells Fargo has her represent at various conferences.

She's the boss, I'm a kept man, and I like it that way. Lets me do my stupid hobbies and runs a tight ship at home. Its awesome. As long as I cook her dinner every night. Lord help me if I don't. LOL.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Sunday half marathon cancelled. Surprise surprise!

I know the idiots around here are going to flood the course and run anyway throughout the day so I may run a test half on my own. But finding a relatively flat route for a half that isn't a stupid number of loops will be difficult. Or I may just go and run an "as I please" 10+ or something. Who knows. Or I might fire up the smokers, drink beer, and throw on a stupid amount of ribs, brisket and pork shoulders.

As the calendar falls, Monday starts the short course program for May 30th sprint, and with where I come into it, its test week! Oh joy. Not gonna do it. Will probably do an FTP test next weekend as its been a while and I never do well at it when I do it on the weekday according to schedule after being at the office all day. I think I'll let the Stryd Auto CP ride for a while. For races of half and up I suspect its "race power" targets are accurate. But I can run the intervals and other training runs above what it sets my zones at without issue and will continue as such. Short term power isn't my issue. Endurance is. Got all spring and summer to build it. And I'll throw in a 'key' run from time to time to see if it jumps up. As it did on Sunday after pushing the run well above what was called for. Went from 289 to 303. If memory serves me right (little Iron Chef lingo there for ya), it was 329 prior to the Hammy injury leading into IMMD. Plus I have the 10K and 5K races June 6th. Though they are very hilly, which may skew the power. We shall see.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2020 12:03PM

@Coach Patrick

Tobacco Road Half Marathon Cancelled Race Report. With no race, motivation was obviously low. But I treated Saturday night as if there was a race in the morning as I planned on doing 13.1, unless I decided it was sleep in Sunday. So pounded the Vodka and stayed off my feet. Got up in the morning, had breakfast as if race day and then waffled. But decided to go and do it anyway. Where I live is not as flat as the course so it was a harder test than it would have been. And since you know all that has happened since Dec 2nd, no need to go into that. But my training was not what it could or should have been. I skipped some runs, cut others short, and really struggled on the Long runs and blew some of them off entirely. I was on the balanced marathon plan until a week ago prepping for Boston.

Background on some data. Prior to getting Injured in August, my Stryd CP was 329 if memory serves me right. It was in the 320s, that I know. It was set by the Stryd 9/3 test. Once I was able to start "running again" a few weeks after the dog attack I switched it to Auto CP and obviously had no plans of doing any kind of testing for a long time. Would just let it do its thing. And I would just run as I could and not worry about much. It immediately fell to 288. Got a bump to 289. Then last weekend decided to push the Sunday run well beyond what the change to half marathon plan called for and got a nice bump to 301. With this, the Stryd Race Calculator for 'Balanced Runner' told me to run at 282.

Not being a real race and not caring if I blew up and died or had to throw in the towel and cut it short, I decided to just go for it. While I continually monitored my power to avoid obvious over exertion that wasn't sustainable, I ran at what I felt would be difficult, but maybe doable for 13 with a plan to just go at mile 10 and if I die, I die. So how did it go?

I think I ran about the perfect half. Avg power for mile 1-12 was 294-302. I think thats a pretty tight window. Mile 13 was 311 and fastest mile at 6:57 pace.

Negative split by just shy of 2 minutes. 1:38. Long way off my PR (which I would never attempt to beat now), but a hell of a run for what I was able to sorta do over the past 3.5 months.

Stryd File... https://www.stryd.com/powercenter/runs/5033197063307264

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger Man, I needed to read that post. Gives me the shivers to think about how you felt in miles 11, 12 and 13 as you were able to build your effort as you realized you were sub-1:40 and thought to yourself "shit that ain't half bad." =)

Not sure if it's possible, but you seem even more dialed into the details now on the pacing, there's no other explanation given the ups and downs of your training for you to lay down such a race. Honestly a 1:38 is a 3:25 full on a favorable course...not too shabby AFAIAC.

So...did you drink beers afterwards or what?! 🍻

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I smoked a brisket for 8 hours after I finished. BBQ law requires beer.

• Options

Those are both CLEARLY "essential" items at this time. 🤣

• Options
    edited March 31, 2020 4:17PM

@Coach Patrick

Training plan adjustment needed?

May 30th is sprint tri. Currently on the short course plan to end on May 31st. Here is from my season map.

• On 3/16/2020 Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 6/28/2020

The race company (SetUp Events) obviously has cancelled all their events already to have happened or happening shortly. They are making decisions on races going forward and notifying participants at 3 weeks from race day if a race is cancelled or going on as planned. With May 30th being 8 weeks out, the chances of it being cancelled in the next 4 to 5 weeks (or sooner) is exceptionally high. And its always been a 'fun' race and not a A race. So...

With the Sept 12th Half Iron being my A++ race for the year, should I make an adjustment to my training plan now to lead into starting the EN Half Bike Focused plan on 06/22, and if so, to what? Or just keep on keeping on?

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - all this uncertainty reeks havoc with my type a customers! It's all for a good reason, but I know how frustrating it can be to have to continually re-adjust. I think it's a smart play for you love long-term at that half is really the first viable opportunity for a raise. It's certainly not ideal, but it is the best option we've got right now.

As of today, Monday, are you affectively have 11 weeks until you start that race prep plan. There's a lot of options that we can use right now to prepare you for the big day. The last 28 days of that block are currently dedicated to starting to build some volume to the prep plan. So we have somewhere between 11 weeks and 7 weeks to play around.

As I think about your progress of the season with the early run focus, it makes sense to me to transition to a little bit more on the bike. Especially with the weather turning the way it is, I know you will be wanting to get outside. I assume you were on more of a flexible schedule right now but I'm not 100% sure.

If I had my way, you would spend six weeks really building the bike Strength up, with opportunities for a weekend volume when the weather is nice, and then transition to the prep plan. So goal is max quality /strength on bike (weekends outside for fun as you see fit). And then we do volume for reals a bit later.

This would be:

• On 4/6/2020  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 5/17/2020
    • On 5/18/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 6/14/2020
    • On 6/15/207/12/20020 Load the  -- EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 07/12/2020
    • **Transition Early**

The only caveat with this is we need to add in some more running frequency to keep that up. I would recommend on maintaining at least a one hour run on the weekends, maybe one hour and 20 minutes depending on how you feel. This is not meant to be a hard run like your half marathon training but rather the Endurance complement to quality work during done during the week.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I'm still working full time at the office and luckily my life so far has had very little changes other than not being able to go out on weekends to breweries, with friends, and do stupid stuff. And inability to swim. But other than that, pretty much unchanged.

Something happened when I decided to bail on Boston even before it was cancelled. It was like a tremendous amount of mental, emotional, and physical stress was lifted and my running and attitude toward everything did a total 180. I was dreading the race. Didn't want to do it. And when I decided I wasn't a switch was flipped. Like last week the mile repeats went from 2 x 1 Z4 to 3 X 1 Z4 and I was like, no way, I'm gonna die. But nope. Was able to hit them all well into upper Z4 power, and then able to do the Z2 to Z3 work after easily so did it all in upper Z3 and Z4. And I think its why I did well in the fake half marathon test run when my actual one was cancelled. It just didn't matter so went for it. Like the rest of my life. I truly live in the world of "don't give a damn". And its how I function and perform best. When you care, you think, and when you think, you bog yourself down.

So whatever running there is in the bike block for the next 6 weeks I will likely push it harder and go longer within reasonable and injury preventing limits.

I'm just looking to have fun, enjoy myself, not get injured, and get as powerful and fast as I can while the competition shelters.

And with the new Kickr Bike, I don't know that I will ever ride outside again. This thing is amazing. Other than intersections and turning, its like riding a real damn bike. I'll have to put in a good amount of outdoor riding, but it won't be until later in the summer when specific race prep demands it.

And that 120 to 150 miler on Sunday the 26th? Ha! I doubt it. But we will see. I'll shoot for at least 100 on Zwift. Or an equivalent time type of ride and finally knock out one of the really epic Zwift routes that just doesn't fit into regular training. Maybe finally take down The Four Horseman or PRL full or something. But if I get a hankering to get outside for some reason (unlikely) my normal 34 mile loop isn't really an option as it starts/finishes in a state park at a boat ramp and its closed with game wardens keeping people out cause there are a lot of idiots doing stupid stuff. But there is a killer 62 mile route out of a church parking lot a couple miles down the road. Can easily carry hydration and nutrition for that and double loop it. But reality, Zwift is gonna win. And I haven't ridden on the road since IMMD in Sept. And its probably not very smart to have my first outdoor ride be a 120+ miler. Thats just asking for something to go very wrong.

And the endurance is starting to come back. Saturday road the Richmond UCI course for 56 miles (1,890 ft of gain, trainer on 100%) and knocked it out in 2:31 (216 avg watts 223 NP, avg HR 127) then ran 5.2 miles in 40 minutes (7:40 pace).

For what I've been through I really couldn't be happier with how I've progressed. Especially with how discouraged I was and how much I dreaded training every day in January and Feb and early March. I just need to temper my enthusiasm and not go and do stupid stuff.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - I think it's time you stop talking about that bike because you're making me jealous. All of your success is found in a deep understanding of your Internal mindset. There's no easy way to describe what you have overcome, but I knew all along that if anyone was going to do it, it was gonna be you. Make no mistake about it, a huge portion of your success right now is a function of just how fit you have been for so many years leading up to the incident. It had only had you physically ready to return to Training, but it gave you the mental toughness to do the work required.

I don't know about you, but my athletic identity is a huge portion of who I am as a person. It's not relative to speed, although that's a nice perk. It's all about my ability to be disciplined and do work. Do you have taking this approach to the next level, and it's awesome to watch.

I think doing 100 miler on the swift will be an excellent replacement for the big ride. Plus you can earn that badge! Given the fitness games you were already seeing, I don't predict any need for you to do something different right now with regards to your training plan selection. We continue onwards and continue building that engine. At some point in time it will be nice to get you outside, you are right in that we should start simple first.

I'm not sure I'm following you on Zwift right now, but my name in the game is P. Mac - be sure to say hi!

• Options
    edited April 11, 2020 8:31PM

@Coach Patrick

We all know about run durability and the benefits its provides. But what about cycling durability? Its a topic I've never heard discussed on podcasts, in the forums, or elsewhere on EN.

Starting Monday the 13th I will be working from home for an unknown length of time, but I suspect at least 4 to 6 weeks. This eliminates my what in normal times is about a 45 minute commute each way. Freeing up a lot of time in the morning every day, especially since swimming is currently impossible. Though I'm sure some of us will find a way to do some OWS here soon. But that aside, is there a tangible and worthwhile benefit to say on non-bike days (and maybe even on bike days) doing a 30-45 minute SUB Z1 to no higher than low Z1 spin on a flat course like Tempus Fugit so one isn't forced into higher zones by climbing?

Current Plan (Bike Focus Block until May 17th) has bike on Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sunday. Should I add in that easy spin on Mon, Wed, and Friday and possibly on Tuesday and or Thursday mornings? Or is the additional time better spent focusing on a different area (not running). And don't say sleep, cause that isn't happening most likely.

Here are some of my thoughts on adding in 30-40 minute lazy spinning. The Kickr Bike is a road bike. I ride an exceptionally aggressive position on my tri bike. It can not be replicated on the Kickr. So throw one of the tri bikes on the Snap, and try to stay in the bars and just spin to at least spend some time 'in position'. I struggle to be in the bars on the trainer and did 95% of my trainer time sitting up with hands on the horns. But this has never impacted my ability to stay in the bars on the road. I can spend zero time in the bars all winter, then go ride on the road for 3 hours and never come out of aero. On the road it is far more comfortable than sitting up or riding a roadie. But on the trainer its the complete opposite.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Workout question. Bike Focus Block, VO2 Short. Examples.

MS: 10 x 30" with 7' of recovery in Zone 1 (159 - 185 watts).

MS: 6 x 45 with 7' of recovery in Zone 1 (159 - 185 watts).

Is this 30" then 7', repeated 10 times? Can't be. It should read 10 x 30" (30"), then 7' recovery before moving into "remainder of time Z2). Same for the 6 x 45. Yes? Or is it really 7' between efforts?

• Options
    Good question! Chili working at that level of intensity actually requires
    significant more recovery for your energy system to replenish itself. This
    is not a 30" and 30" off work out, this is a 30" max effort work out with
    optimum recovery. I will often work these into a longer easier ride where I
    spent up a local he'll based on the duration required and then soft pedal
    around until I need to hit it again.

See the ATP energy system information on this article, if that helps:
    https://semiprocycling.com/energysystems

I find it easiest to do these outside, it's hard to hit max watts indoors.
    If you try, don't use erg mode just pick a hill as you free ride in game.

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Coach Patrick

The way the guidance is written in final surge it says Tues intervals 150% of FTP and Thursday intervals 120% to 140% of FTP. So I built it up in Zwift as 30"/30" at 150% of FTP and Z1 recovery. Damn near killed myself, but made it through. So the 2nd time through, extended recovery to 45" and was able to do it without much pain. Then just Zwifted on for another 40 minutes at Z2 and Z3 and crushing hills.

Guess next Tuesday I'll try the free ride mode and do 6 x 45" or hill attacks or something with recovery between.

On the Ventum 70.3 entry, Augusta, Chattanooga, or one of the Florida races? Unless I can use next year, which I doubt. I gotta ask still.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Strange times call for strange things. To make tomorrows attempt at The PRL Full more "fun" and motivate me to not be able to quit if I want to, I decided to do it as a fundraiser for Carolina Boxer Rescue. And to make it even more fun, for my neighbors that donate they get a roll of TP as a thank you.

I'm going to have my garage door open and a big box of TP rolls in the driveway for them to come and grab while I hammer away on the trainer.

Next weekend I'm going to set up a Socially Distanced Beer Mile for the neighborhood. Going to mark out a .125 out and .125 back course on the street and tell neighbors to go and do it, and post vids and times on the neighborhood FB page.

Stupid times call for stupid things. And I do stupid things very well.

https://www.facebook.com/donate/2626883034252817/10220197170313568/

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - I love it man, your creativity knows no bounds. I need to get me some of that. Congratulations on getting that ride on yesterday. Looking back, I'm not surprised to see that you're normalized power for this effort was actually slightly higher than the effort you put out for Iron Man Maryland last year. Crazy to think you have that level of fitness right now. On no taper.

Imagine how fast you would've gone if you've done a shot of vodka before the PRL! 🤣

• Options
    edited April 27, 2020 4:56PM

@Coach Patrick

Its a lot easier to hold power in the garage with Metal playing and knowing you don't have to run a marathon when you get off. And the repetition of the loop didn't bore me to death as I thought it was going to.

I didn't feel beat or worn down at all when I got off and as the end approached I considered knocking out a hard 5K for the hell of it. I was actually kinda sad to see it end. Wanted to keep going and thought about it taking it out to 120 miles, but the pizza waiting for me in the kitchen won out.

Actual power was probably a good bit higher than the final reported power. Those 11 descents allow for a lot of soft pedaling or coasting that drags the avg and NP down. Where on courses like Maryland, there is no down time or coasting.

One of the 'glitches' in Zwift though is you can actually pedal, generate resistance and put out power when your doing 60 mph down a hill. In real life I'd of long spun out before I reached such speeds.

Plan has another big ride on schedule Sunday May 17th. May pick one of the flat courses and hammer just to see how far I can go in 6 hours or something. Who knows. And plan ends with a 4.5 hour ride on June 13th. Might try to see if I can get In 100 miles in under 4:30. Pretty sure I can, and will see just how far under 5 I can get 112 in. Why? Cause I'm stupid. Or finally take another crack at breaking 1 hour for the ADZ and just destroy myself. One of the few Zwift badges I haven't gotten yet.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - agreed with you on all points. Still having spent an in ordinate amount of time on the trainer, I fully appreciate the type of work that you did on that ride. And in my own head I'm able to do the math on the comparison between a flat Iron Man and the ride he did. There are plenty of places we could find discrepancies, but overall I know it's solid work. Again, you can't stop me from being impressed. Not that I am giving you any break! 🤣

I like the ADZ attempt. FWIW, 3.0 Watts per KG is approximately 62 minute trip up the claim. The initial 8 to 9 turns or the steepest, and things become a little bit more user-friendly as you go. Here are a couple strategies I found to be helpful:

• Start off at the average pace you plan to sustain. In this case 3 W per kilogram. Hold that through those initial 20 minutes when the gradient is the hardest.Ade
    • As you continue on up the mountain, attack the turns to pick up speed when the grade backs off.
    • The last three turns to the finish is the time to get after it. You are close enough now so no excuses. And you can push all off it, backing off a bit on the steep turns with higher cadence for a second, to recover for the next straight push.

You go this...

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

When the ADZ was first released I rode it for the hell of it and pushed pretty hard but didn't kill myself, was just riding, and when the estimated finish timer finally popped up I was right around 1:01 so just kept pushing and came in just under 1:01. Being a brand new route, I had no idea breaking an hour was a thing or that there was a badge for it. The sub hour badge may not have even existed yet. And being a stickler for sticking to my training plans with little deviation I didn't ride it again for a while and a good while later decided to try to break the hour. Blew up and when the timer thing popped up toward the end it had me just over an hour, gave it a try and realized there was nothing in the tank and coasted in at just over 1:01. That was a long time ago and until I rode up it with a structured workout to grab the fire and ice route badge last week (since attempts prior to route badges being created don't earn a badge retroactively), I hadn't ridden it in a long long time. I think it should be very doable to break the hour with a smart ride and setting up a 50/34 with an 11/32 so I can stay out of the little ring as much as possible. The 11/28 forces me into it more than I'd like. And if I can't hold 250-255 watts for an hour (3.2wkg) then something is wrong that day or the fatigue load is way up there.

I had to demolish and rebuild my deck this weekend and I was more destroyed from that than the previous weekends 2.5 hour ride and Full PRL ride. I may be fit as hell, but it is very specific fitness and doesn't carry over into construction work.

While my May 30th sprint tri has not been cancelled yet, I expect it to be. But if it isn't, we gonna have some sorry ass swim times and likely a lot of blazing bike splits from everyone still riding and more people having finally caved and gotten on Zwift.

I think thats the biggest downside to this whole thing in regards to tri. So many people who eschewed riding indoors and made fun of those of us who train almost exclusively on Zwift (TR, Rouvy, etc...) have had to start doing it if they wanted to keep riding and now they know our secret. Our big training advantage is now gone. Damnit!

I still have a few friends who refuse to do it. I keep challenging them to a 40K TT. I tell em, hey, you train exclusively outdoors as you always do, and at the end of August, put a wad of cash on the line and lets race. Yet no takers. Wonder why.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - Sounds to me like you already have a good plan in place. And I agree you should be all set. It's a fun challenge to tackle even if you never get the wheels at the top! 🤣

I hear you on the lack of transfer to General fitness. We replaced a whole section of a fence two weeks ago and my back was lit up for a few days. Funny how specific our fitness can be. I don't mind if it's yardwork or a good workout, I still get to have a nice delicious beer at the end of the day which is a win for me. 👍

Yes to others on Zwift, but then again a rising tide lifts all boats. So what doesn't kill my competition makes me work harder I guess!

I think the Team IN vs Team OUT TT has some promise! Tell me when it's on Facebook live!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Great, just what I need. A 40K TT challenge. I'm game, why not. Does Zwift have the ability to set up such? Mass start? 1 at a time every 15 seconds? Or would it be a 'on your own' thing where we screen shot when the odometer ticks over to 40K for our time? I wish there was a good place around here to do it on the road. I am surprisingly faster in real life than I am on Zwift. Its a rarity, but I'm one of the lucky, or unlucky few that it applies to.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Last day of week 6 of whatever the hell plan I'm on. Epic Long Ride day. I decided to look up the plan, [Specificity] Bike Focus Plan, All Abilities (6wks)

Let me say this. Riding 125 miles on Zwift is stupid. Especially after yesterdays 13.1 Z1 running. Man, long Z1 wears me out more than racing the distance. Plan called for 12, but if you go 12, ya gotta go 13.1.

Breakdown.

56 miles in just under 2:30. Just under as in 2:29:45.

100 miles in 4:25:34

112 Miles in 4:58:02. So an ever so slight negative split.

Decided before I got on the bike that 200km was what I was going to do vs 6 hours. But that left me a tick short of 125 miles. So had to go 201.2. 5:34:50 with a slight downshift in power after 112, and a paltry 1,821 ft of gain. Avg power of 202, HR 124.

I had previously decided to keep it relatively flat and go do something stupid like the Uber Pretzel and then stretch it to 100 miles for the next epic ride if I don't try to crack the hour on ADZ.

And not that It matters, gearing was 52/36 with an 11/25.

Tomorrow I move into the 2020 Half Prep Plan (All Levels), 4 weeks then onto the 2020 Half Bike Focused Plan (All Levels), 12 weeks ending on Sept 13th with Race Day on Sept 12th if it happens. I think it will.

So question. Regardless of gearing, 52/36 with 11/25 or 50/34 with 11/28 (I actually have a 52/36 with 11/23 on my race bike as MD was flat, and so will be my Sept race. As in pancake flat). So to the question.

I often run into a situation where there is a 'gap' as I call it on my gearing. Regardless of cassette. My preferred cadence is 90. As long as I am within a couple of it, I am good, no matter the power. But I often run into a situation where because of wind, a false flat, or a false down and I can't find a gear that works. Such as my target watts is 215. I'm smoothing along at 215, 90 PM, and turn a corner and am now into a slight wind or on a false slope. To maintain my power I have to either spin up into the upper 90s or 100. Can't spin for long at that high of a cadence without issues. So I need to go into a smaller cog, but then if I turn 90, the power is way to high, so to hold the target watts I gotta drop to the mid to low 80s. This blows up my quads and they quickly build lactic acid and catch on fire. Even worse scenario.

What kind of lower cadence work should I incorporate into the 2 plans I am moving into? This is clearly a weakness that is costing me power and time. Or should I just not care?

I actually ran into it quite often today. Would be pushing slightly over 200 watts and needing to go into the mid 90s to maintain and would drop a gear and at 90 would be pushing 230+ if not 240+ and that isn't going to work so to hold 205-210 would need to go mid to low 80s on cadence and that doesn't last long. So had to bounce around on my cadence when not on a decline to try and hold my slightly over 200 target.

• Options

@Brian Terwilligerthey are often some time trial events in Zwift. They're typically shorter than 40 km though. They run exactly as you would imagine. Everyone is on a TT bike, and you were lined up and moved along an escalator, for lack of a better term, to get you to the start where you can ride. Since it's a non-drafting event it's all clean. Maybe you wanna jump into one of those just to see what it looks like?

That is a crazy ride. Your mental strength is pretty much unbelievable. I'm glad you got it done and I hope you took a few days to recover a little bit. Not just physically from the muscular and infrastructure standpoint, but mentally as well. That will deathly go along way to anchor in your endurance in a great spot, especially with a negative split! 💪

The evil gearing question! I know exactly what you mean. This isn't something that everyone faces even though they have the same equipment. This is partly because you are so tuned in to your sweet spot on the bike at any deviation is a problem. In other words, a less focused or fanatical cyclist might not be as impacted by the consequences in shifting as you are. This is an a criticism, it's more just an observation.

In your case, having to push those lower RPMs and then return to high cadence is an issue. In fact, it's an issue for most triathletes who lack the strength to handle the torque associated with lower cadence riding.

Might go to work out for this is a Friday big year session. It's typically an hour long it has you riding at zone three or Sweet Spot (the midpoint of zone three & zone four, call is it 90%) at a lower cadence for an ever increasing amount of time.

In a way I think this is because  lower cadence riding recruits different motor units. Since you don't frequently use these motor units, they are in efficient and the cost is higher.

So one practical way to improve this is to do as you say: activate these units to use them in training sessions that are controlled so you can handle that type of work in a race or a similar event.

• Week one might be 4 x 6 minutes with four minutes at a normal cadence.
    • Week two will be 3 x 8 Minutes.
    • Week three is 2 x 12 Minutes
    • Week four is 3 x 10 Minutes

Do you hear that we're not doing these at a high intensity order a situation. These are controlled intervals that works with the most units but don't overly fatigued before the weekend. Do you think you could roll 6 to 8 of those sessions into the next two months? The closer your trial comes the closer we spend more time in the time trial position.

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 1:43AM

@Coach Patrick I can easily mix that into the Friday "bridge" ride over the next 4 weeks. And beyond likely. Whats a good target cadence? The low 80s as thats a realistic race day scenario? Or lower?

I also remember you mentioning in the past that one workout you do, or used to do, to build leg strength was to alternate 5 minutes seated normal cadence, then 5 minutes standing at a low cadence (like 60) all at Z4 or sweet spot power over and over and over again for like an hour. Not sure where something like that could be worked into the schedule, or if it should. Saturday's ride the next 3 weeks (week 4 is epic ride), is 2 hours in Z2 with 25' scattered in Z4. Might as well try 5 x 5' or 10 x 3' low cadence Z4 intervals as well. Plenty of recovery to spin out and prep for the next one.

One crazy workout I've seen some Zwifters post that they like is a full hour out of the saddle at near threshold. Thoughts?

And really, I think what this year is going to come down to, even going forward and into winter, is really working on building a beast of a bike engine to lead into next year when real races are back on the schedule and can target a half and then a full to try to KQ. We are giving Cozumel a hard look. And since you are in my age group, you are not allowed to race it in 2021 unless you already have your KQ and will let your spot roll down. LOL.

Being a big out into the future planner, even if the half happens in Sept, my plan is to keep focusing on the bike and just building it through the end of the Nov and then hopping on the Dec Out Season to smash a mid March half marathon. Zero fall or winter running races on my schedule this year.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger For that friday hour session look at about 70 to 75 rpms. Just below the comfort zone but not too far away.

That outdoor ride work I do (good memory) is for when I don't do interval per se. More of an endurance ride with work vs endurance ride with threshold. So when I crushed myself on Tue/Thu, and Saturday was a 4 hour ride day, I would work those in to mix it up. Not to push more watts but it mixed up the position and allowed me to keep up steady work vs just fading in TT position.

This type of ride is great mid season when you only have so much FTP bandwidth because  the volume is high. IOW, you don't need to do it unless your FTP mojo is gone.

If you have 25 minutes of zone for work scattered across the long ride, I could see you doing some thing like the big year of work as part of your recovery. For example, if inside 30 minutes you have five minutes of threshold you could do 20 minutes in zone 2, 5 minutes in zone 4/FTP, five minutes big gear standing recovery Watts, then repeat.

Yes to the bike engine. You and I are on the same page. It's not something that we can just step on the gas now and maintain all year, but it is something to focus on. Alternating between periods of work like this, and then periods where we prioritize the run can really help you maintain a steady and successful build. This is the time of year we want to be outside doing longer stuff so we want to capitalize on that while using Zwift for the quality during the week.