Home General Training Discussions
Options

[RETIRED] New Member Welcome Thread

This is for all new TeamEN athletes who have just joined! Please post your name, location, tri-experience, goals for this season and beyond...and anything else you think your new teammates might want to learn. Welcome aboard!

Patrick

Comments

• Options

I just saw this and wanted to give it a bump.

A warm welcome to anyone new to EN.  Please let us know who you are.

Dave

• Options
    Hi all,

My name is Jon and I am a new member as of December. I live in NY and love it out here. I just started getting into the sport of triathlon a year ago and I decided that this would be the best way to see what a real training plan might do to help me achieve my goals for next year. I am still trying to figure all them out (short-term and long-term), but I wanted to take this time to introduce myself.

LiveRight/TrainStrong

Jon
  • Options

Jon,

Welcome aboard!  Do you have any races planned?  Lots to choose from in the Northeast.

Dave

• Options

Welcome Jon! There are quite of few of us in NY. Do you live in civilized area of Downstate or the Frozen Tundra of Upstate?

• Options
    I guess you could say I live in the Civilized part of New York aka Manhattan, but every now and then I start to think that it might not be that civilized. As far as races that I have planned for the year, the list includes; HIM Florida, NYC Tri, DC Tri, and I am still trying to figure out a few after that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the support.
  • Options

To the EN crew and coaches

My name is Steve Anderson and I am a proud husband to a wonderful wife and a father of a 19-month old baby girl.  I got into triathlon last year and have been training 8-18 hours/week since last December when I got the bright idea that, with a financial planning business, a baby, and a wife in school to become a nurse practitioner that it would be a great idea to inject triathlon into the mix.  It has been interesting, but, I am 'obsessed' now!  My only race is the Amica 70.3 in Rhode Island, and it was a great experience.  I posted a 5:25...I was semi-happy with the result. 

I was going to do IMAZ this year, but decided to hold off until 2010.  This year, I am signed up for NOLA 70.3, I am signing up for IMLous at Christmas, and am hoping to get into another 70.3 later in the year.  The goal is simple: qualify for Kona.  I know that is ambitious, but, in the next year or two I think it is possible.  I DO have my head on straight though...my NOLA goal is sub-4:45-50, and my IM goal is just finishing since it is my first one (I will admit that 10:30ish sounds good to me though).

I have been reading the EN material for the past 6 months and decided to go ahead and buy a training plan and, wouldn't you know it, a spot opened up and I snagged it!  I am pumped to be here...and ready to get a jersey!!!

• Options
    Hey EN folks,

I'm Cary Blanco in Atlantic Beach, NY (straight line 2.5 miles from JFK airport runways). about 20 miles from Manhattan. Very flat here by the ocean, but we've got some nice hills up on the north shore of Long Island and there's always a trip Westchester for rides with extended climbing.

I work in the Musical Instrument/Recording industry doing Marketing and Artist Relations.

I did my first two HIMs this year (2009). I'm in the Dec OS group and I'm registered for Eagleman 70.3 and IMLP in 2010. I thinking about Syracuse 70.3 in Sept 2010 but I'm not ready to pull the plug yet.

I've been checking out what RnP have to ay for the last two months and managed to sign on as a member two weeks ago.

Looking forward to interacting with the whole EN team executing my races the "EN way" in 2010.
  • Options
    Wait NYC is civilized? Really? Just kidding I go there everyday to work. Welcome aboard Jon. I have been around a couple months now and love it. Lots of good people in the Haus who know how to work and keep you on track and motivated. I am also doing Florida 70.3. We'll have to trade notes.
  • Options

Hi All,

My name is Chuck and I live in southwestern Wyoming, 45 minutes from Park City, UT.  Although, living/training at altitude (7000ft) has it's advantages, it's dam cold right now.  I am the proud husband to a VERY wonderful lady and dad to a 5yo and 1yo.  I have been racing triathlons for about 7 years and mostly stayed in the olympic distance relm.  I do have one 70.3 to my name, Boulder 5430.  I finished in 6 hours and totally bonked on the run.  So far, I have a few oly's planned for 2010, as well as IMAZ.  Right now I am trying to soak up as much information as possible to make my first IM an enjoyable experience.  I am really excited to be with EN and any/all advice will be appreciated. 

• Options

G'day folks - David here - live over in the UK in a small town called Poole (next door to Bournemouth on England's south coast) - Poole very much the small market town, built up centuries ago on the back of the timber trade coming in from Newfoundland.

42 years old ,married to Julie (Jules) who is at University & about to qualify as a Midwife - 3 kids, 19,17 & 15, eldest James at college studying Graphic Design (could be handy) -only the youngest (Oliver) is sporty being goalkeeper in our county soccer team. Then there's 'our 2 bitches!' Lucy & Sasha the labradors - Lucy is black and your typical gun-dog type whereas 'her sister' is a big dopey cocolate lab! (yep i'll get pics up soon!)

I have my own business - I'm a headhunter supplying sales & tech executives within the IT & Telco sectors; many of my major clients are US based - I provide that '1st hire' in Europe. Although the job entails long hours I can usually tailor the workload so can find time to train duiring the day.

Just moved into multi-sport from a pure cycling background -when I say 'background' I've been cycling 5 years, mainly MTB XC. Fed up of repeated injuries on the MTB and having tech skills as a major limiter to race results so decided to sell all my 'bling' MTB kit (no going back now) and get into Tri, a sport that has intrigued me for years. I've always have been involved in sports, represented GB in sailing many years ago.

I was coached 1:1 for MTB XC with mixed results - I did need a programme that would feed me plans on those days/weeks when work/home takes over. i.e. a 'just do it plan' but also when I did have time, have the opportunity to learn, research the sport and perhaps input to others,perhaps on cycling aspects. EN appears to have hit the spot!

Looking forward to progressing and getting to know the Team! Forgot to add, over in the US in August to race Timberman and can't wait! We're fortunate to have family in Boston so we'll be at Gunstock with a load of folks, you have been warned! Its our american relatives are all nuts however! :-)

• Options

Welcome Chuck and David!   Chuck- you've got lots of time to soak it all in and learn before IMAZ!  You found the right place!

David- so cool that you'll be coming over for Timberman so you can meet some of the NorthEast US folks.  Great gang up there and Timberman should be full of ENers!

• Options
    Hello everyone,

My name is Peter and I live in Davis, CA, just outside Sacramento. I'm married and have a 4 yo daughter and a 4 month old son. I do Exchange email administration and support many Windows based applications/server at UC Davis. I'm looking forward to the Tour of California starting a stage in Davis again this year. Hopefully I can meet up with the EN ToC group when they pass through town.

I got talked into doing IM CDA with my cousin in June. I've never actually done a triathlon. I've done a lot of running and some cycling though. I also signed up for IM 70.3 California in March just so I can get some experience. The philosophy of EN meshes really well with my own (speed work=good) and I figured it would be nice to have a group of people who can help guide my training and make it more efficient (I only have so much time with a 4 month old).

Peter
  • Options

Welcome Steve, Cary, Chuck,  Dave, and Peter! Take a mental picture of yourself now because after OS the new you will crush your old self at race.

@ Cary and Jon: A fun adventure is Survival of the Shawangunks. http://www.sostriathlon.com/  There's also American Zofingen, but it's been moved to May next year. http://www.cm2promotions.com/CM2_PROMOTIONS/Home.html  For HIM's up in the "wilderness" part of NY, there's Tupper Lake Tinman HIM on June 26 in the Adirondacks and Musselman HIM in mid-July--right in my backyard in Geneva, NY (Finger Lakes).  I've heard the Mighty Montauk was a good race too. I spent part of my childhood in Levitown, Long Island and have always wanted to do that race.

@Dave: Sold your mtb bling?! I just about fainted when I read that. I'm just beginning to acquire mtb bling in the form of a custom titanium 650b bike...

• Options
    @Nemo - I did Timberman last year and I hope to my act together to be able to do it in 2010 - i hope I can budget for it cause KJ put on a great event. It will be hard to top having Chrissie Wellington put my finishers medal on me (okay maybe if I PR by like an hour).

@Kitima My schedule is Eagleman in Early June and IMLP in Late July so none of those events really work for me. I'm considering Mighty Montauk,or possibly the SOS tri. I've did the Montauk Sprint last year, great scenery there - let me know if you register for the 70.3.
    Victor, NY - the only thing I know about Victor is that Whole Latte Love is there and I got my espresso machine from them. I hope to get to know it better one day.

@Kitima & @Nemo - I feel like I know both of you a bit from the meet the team podcasts image Take note, people outside of the house actually listened and wanted to come inside based on your interviews.
  • Options
    Posted By Cary Blanco on 10 Dec 2009 09:31 PM

@Kitima & @Nemo - I feel like I know both of you a bit from the meet the team podcasts Take note, people outside of the house actually listened and wanted to come inside based on your interviews.

Eeeeeeek!  

• Options
    @Kitimi - yep, selling off all my MTB race bits to fund the Tri bike and new kit! Would've been nice to keep it all but probably not justified - had a guy here this morning to pick up my set of 4-Ti eggbeaters! Has been a bit of a bike jumble here for a while, have collected loads of bits, tyres, wheelsets etc. It'll cost me a fortune if I ever want to go back into MTB again!
    I may have been tempted to keep the kit if we had a decent Xterra type series in the UK, we don't sadly - looking at the 'lame' Xterra courses I may have done OK considering my lack of tech ability (certainly not at podium level thas for sure).
    I'll just console myself with a set of Zipps! :-)
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Mike Davis from Colorado Springs. New to tri's in 2009 and got a sprint and an olympic in this year. I have signed up for Kansas 70.3 in June and am planning on Boulder in August. Since my background is mostly cycling still trying to figure out this swimming and running stuff out! Also have to squeeze a few centuries in next summer as training rides I guess. Work in a dealership managing parts and service and when not tied up with work and training love to spend time with my wife and two daughters (11 and 20).
  • Options
    @ Mike - Welcome aboard. This place, you may already have discovered, makes it easy to learn. BTW, if you see Rob Ladewig at a local race, say "hi" to him for me.
  • Options
    Al, if I see him I will definitely pass along the hello. Unfortunately I am so slow that everyone has usually gone home by the time I finish image
  • Options
    Hello. My name is Tom and I am a triathlon addict...

I have been doing tris since around 2002. I found my way into while working my way back from ACL reconstruction. I have done a wide variety of races which last year culminated in doing both IMMOO and IMAZ. I've been working 1:1 with a coach for the past couple years with decent results. Another friend was talking up EN, so I started poking around. It sounded very appealing, so I thought I would give it a try and shift gears from what I have been doing. I haven't 100% decided on my year yet, but I am looking for Racine to be the "A" race for this coming year.

I'm slowly working my way through the resources here and learning as much as I can. Great stuff so far and I'm looking forward to getting started with the OS plan. This is a very new concept for me compared to what I have been doing for the past 4 years. I've been putting my little pain cave together (I need another fan) and setting myself up to start on 1/4/10.
  • Options
    Welcome to December peeps. I have been to bournemouth, my mother is British and my grandparents (now deceased) lived in Worthing for awhile and also up north in Bourne End. Anyways, their friends lived in Bournemouth so I bet we drove thru or near Poole! It has been 11 years since I have been to England and now my cousins/aunt are in the Sheffield area and also Oakham! they also think their american relatives are CRAZY! welcome to EN!
    others in NY, wow' y'all should get together or for sure sign up for the same races pretty cool. I was born in RI but didn't sign up for that race and only lived there my first two years! and then I lived in the South and they called me a Yankee! that or a "Brit" ! Anyways, I got to visit NY and it was at Christmas so pretty cool. so welcome.
    have never been to Wyoming though! shoot, and it looks so cool. anyways, everybody needs to post pics of your training grounds and local places as the terrain and foods and scenery will be so different! I loved living in Colorado and lived in Littleton a community near Denver.. and loved Red Rocks and all that CO had to offer to include that desert, deep gorge, canyon, colorado river, the mts, Estes Park and the like!! what I missed?? = the trees!! and the humidity.... and thus I love Arkansas! m
  • Options

Hi everyone, My name is Jorge Geronimo (pronounced George, though I'll eventually respond to hor-hey). I live in NorCal and am an intermediate athlete, and have been doing tri's since 2002. Started off with Sprints and Olys, then the second year did my first 1/2 Iron (Vineman). Since then it's been all half Iron (Vineman and Big Kahuna) or full Iron (Arizona) distance races with a year in there where I did nothing. Races on my calendar for this year are Wildflower Long Course and Ironman Coeur d'Alene.

When I say I did a year of nothing, I mean it, I did nothing and gained like 20 pounds. This was after my third year of triathlon. I was in this really REALLY weird place mentally as a result of a DNF at IM Arizona. This was when the race was in April with 90+ degree weather and crazy gusty winds on the bike. When I swung my leg over the seat at T1 I broke BOTH my bottle cages (thanks Tacx) so I was stuck carrying the bottle that didn't explode when it hit the ground. Of course dropping my second bottle and having it explode at the start of the second lap didn't help matters at all. I should have known better, but kept on regardless. I ended up in the hospital with dehydration to the point where the doc made me stay the night and schedule a follow up with my doc before I was released. I did make it to mile 18 of the run though I would call it more of a death march. Until then I had never failed at anything or any race, so a DNF was fairly devastating. Then one day about seven months later I was cleaning the bathroom and I noticed how my shoulders hurt from just scrubbing the tub, and in the background was a P90X infomercial. The bear woke from its slumber that day. A week later I was doing the program, and 90 days after that I swung my leg over the top tube of my bike to go on an actual training ride. The rest as they say, is history, and I've settled my score with Arizona  Looking back, I learned more from that failure than from some of my "success" stories and think that in many ways I really needed to go through that.

Wow that's a lot to put out there.

Let's see, what else? I'm a database administrator and work in Silicon Valley, am fortunate to have the most supportive wife in the world and two cats that will, at best, tolerate me 

• Options
    Great story Jorge! Welcome back to the land of Tri. What races are on your dance card for this year?
  • Options
    Thanks Nemo! I am registered for IM Coeur d'Alene and just 10 minutes ago signed up for Wildflower Long Course.
  • Options
    Posted By Jorge on 21 Jan 2010 01:13 PM

Looking back, I learned more from that failure than from some of my "success" stories and think that in many ways I really needed to go through that.

Jorge - You are so right. I've always marveled at the wisdom of Bob Dylan, who sang, "There's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all." We learn from mistakes, and then get motivation from them. I had a similar experience 3 months ago; hope I learned the right things.

• Options

Wow Al, It looks like we took a lot of the same mis-steps (going way harder than I should have, then not drinking what I should have, not taking into account the differences between training where we live and racing somewhere else). Glad to see you're back too tho, let's rock the year!

• Options

See ya @ CDA, Jorge! We'll have the race strategy down pat for that one, I know.

• Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Myrna, i just joined few days ago. My goal is IM Louisville, this will be my second triathlon and my 2nd Ironman. The biggest challenge for me is training on my own far away in a hot humid and windy country called Bahrain. I look forward to being part of the EN family and to your support. All the best in your training! Myrna
  • Options
    Welcome Myrna! What are you doing in Bahrain? There are plenty of folks doing IM Louisville. You'll have plenty of folks to commiserate with during training.
  • Options
    Welcome to EN, Myrna! If you're training in hot & humid weather, you'll be well-prepared for IMLOU (most years, at least)! You'll be amazed by all the support from the EN team, and it will really help you feel like you're not training alone. Enjoy!