Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

The Macro Thread: I have big picture, season planning questions for the Coaches -- ARCHIVED

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    @Satish --
    • Sounds like you're ready to switch to the Intermediate plan.
    • Yes, that's a good place for a BTW. I believe we may have loaded these up as training plans, in the drop down. If not then follow the advice in the wiki.

@Frank --
    The run test you choose to exit the OS with is up to you. If you can't find a race then you can just do a TT on your own. If it were me, I would TT either a 5 or 10k, not a half marathon, as you'll never go as fast in a solo HM as you will in a race. We have a 2wk transition training plan available for you to upload into your training plan account, you should see it in the drop down.

@Troy --
    I checked your Season Plan, sent to you in early January, and I don't have you entering the IM plan for quite a while yet. I just resent it to you, please review and let me know if you have any questions.

@Klaus --
    • Suggest you go light for a few days (maybe swim only?). Goal is to get back on track so that you don't miss the long run this week.
    • Recommend you cap those trainer rides at 2-2.5hrs and basically make them very similar to the weekday interval session, just adding time on the backend of the ride, after you complete the Main Set. No reason to ride 5hrs on a trainer.

@Edward --
    I created a Season Plan for you in December, during your trial membership. Please review that, I've just resent it to you.

@Arun --
    Please see the bike gearing thread(s) we have in the Race Execution forum, I believe. This is the Macro Thread and we do our best to keep this thread on point. Thanks!

@Carlo --
    Do the GF plan vs the HIM plan, as you've dropped KS from your schedule. The long bike and long run volume in the GF plan is less than the HIM plan. But it sounds like you'll need to make adjustments to the running in whatever plan you do choose. Remember, your injury is your running coach, not our training plan. Don't follow that training plan into a brick wall!

@Kevin --
    Ok, I'll update your Season Plan shortly.

@Jamie --
    Go ahead and switch over to the SC plan.

@Leslie --
    Load up the HIM plan setting it to end on the date of Big Bear Half
  • Options
    Hi, just a quick question- I've started to go through some of the links in the wiki, and especially in the race execution section under Racing Member Central (http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails.aspx). Unfortunately, many of the links do not work, including those entitled Ironman How to and Ironman Race Execution. Is it possible these and the other links will be fixed soon, or can they be emailed in pdf forms for those with IM's in the very near future? Thx for the help.
  • Options
    @Chris --
    Thanks for pointing this out. You can actually get to those resources by going to the Race Execution section of the Wiki: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution

We'll work on fixing those broken links in the Race Central page...uggg
  • Options
    got it, thanks, I don't envy the computer part of your job
  • Options

Coach,

My mistake on which program I was switching over to...My question though was regarding my swim portion...I dont have access to a pool until May 17th.  I was looking for suggestions as to what I should do until that time and whether it would affect my long term plan for IM Tahoe.  Im an average swimmer, but have not swam since October...

You wrote "@Troy --  I checked your Season Plan, sent to you in early January, and I don't have you entering the IM plan for quite a while yet. I just resent it to you, please review and let me know if you have any questions."

Thanks Coach!

Troy

• Options
    My illness is finished with me, and I am definitely finished with it. I am ready to get back to work. I just finished the GF plan, but missed the testing due to illness. This week is supposed to be unstructured before I begin the HIM plan next week. I would like to do some light workouts until the weekend and then jump into the HIM plan. My plan is to use my zones I used in the GF plan rather than testing again. If you prefers take a different approach, I will certainly defer to you. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi Rich,

You mentioned a 2 week transition between the OS and the IM plan, but in November you sent me my season plan and it has me ending the OS this week and only 1 week transition starting 4/15 and jumping into the IM plan at week 7 on 4/22. What should I do? One week transition or two?

thanks
    frank
  • Options

Sorry Coach, I'm a little confused this week.  I was in the Jan OS and was supposed to load up the HIM on 4/1 (for Quassy) set to end on 5/26. I didn't load it until yesterday, 4/9.  I think it says week 14 on my Training Plan page but the Season map says week 12 is where I start.  So questions:

1. What week of HIM plan do I start?
    2. When do I start that? This Monday?
    3. What does "transition week" mean?  If there is a wiki for that I would be glad to read it.
    4. Is this week a transition week for me?

Thanks

• Options
    @Troy --
    Sorry, I missed that one. No, it won't make a difference. You'll be fine for IMLT if you don't start swimming until May 17th. You could do some upper body strength and core work if you wanted to prepare for that transition.

@WC --
    Yes, that sounds good. No need to retest if you feel your training zones are accurate or good enough.

@Frank --
    Do one week of transition, you can find the transition training plan in the drop down menu of the Move/Change My Training Plan tool.

@Ken --
    You need to set the plan to end on the date of Quassy, not on 5/26. 5/26 is the WEEK OF Quassy. Bottomline, set the plan to end on the date of the race.
    Make that change now.
    Transition is a week of unstructured training. I'm sure we have a wiki article about it but it's just that -- instructured training, do what you want to reset your head. See my comment to Frank above. Do 1 week of transition.
  • Options

Coach,

I orignally had my season ending on August 4th at Steelhead 70.3.  I have since decided to do a third HIM this year - October 27th, Ironman Miami 70.3.  Call it a side effect of my being in Florida every month.

How do I apprach training for a two-part season: 1st "A" race in early August, 2nd "A" in late October, nearly 3 months apart? Plug back in the same trainnig I used for August, or build upon it for the 2nd go around?

• Options
    Coach Rich,

I will be submitting a new season survey as I swapped out a HIM in August for one in September. I will be doing HIM Luxembourg on Sept 9th but it's looking like we will be back in the States in later September and there is a HIM in my hometown of Augusta on Sept 30th. Would you recommend or recommend AGAINST doing HIMs back to back like this. I figured since I would already be trained up by then, why not? I am finishing up Jan OS this week and am about to load up GF plan.

Thanks Coach,

Tony
  • Options
    I notice on the power webinar when I done loaded it there is no actual footage of anyone to go along with the audio is it audio only?
  • Options
    @JK --
    • Short answer -- don't worry about it. Plenty of time to address this and lots of time between those two races.
    • Slightly longer -- just submit a new season planning survey at any time and I'll work up a new SP for you.
    • Longer -- I'll probably have you do some flavor of the Get Faster plan after HIM #1, then repeat the last few weeks of the HIM plan for HIM #2

@Tony --
    Not a problem to do a half on the 9th and another on the 30th.

@Tom --
    That is correct. The file contains audio files and .pdf's of the presentations. It is a recording of a 3-part webinar we conduct for members and the public back in 2008 or 2009.
  • Options
    Hi,

I asked this on the "boomer" forum, and got a variety of answers, so I'm asking the pros. I am racing IMLP at the end of July, and consider that my "A" race. In my season plan, I had asked if I could plan to race the A.G. Nationals two weeks later. Rich said he didn't like to plan for that until after IMLP. Problem is, I need to register if I'm going to race. I am qualified for the Oly, but I'm assuming this soon after an IM (my first ever at age 60), that I should probably do the Sprint and hope for the best. What do you think?
  • Options

@Kate --

Sure, you could sign up for either the Olympic or the Sprint. However, I think it's important to set realistic expectations about your mental state and triathlon performance when racing anything 2 weeks after having completed an Ironman. 99.99% of IM athletes will have been stretched pretty thin, mentally, by the time they get to Lake Placid. To then turn around 2wks later and race again, any distance, is mentally a tall order, not to mention the fact that you will NOT be recovered physically. Add on top of this the dollar costs of the race (registration, travel? lodging? time away from work?) and you have another set of items to consider. 

In my opinion, this isn't really a coach-ey coach-ey decision. This should be your own personal decision framed within ^these^ considerations above.

• Options

Folks, we are TEMPORARILY locking this forum so you have to post to the BETA MACRO THREAD FORUM over here: 

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aff/467/Default.aspx

This is only a test and we'll be in touch as to whether or not we completely make this switch or not...thanks!!!!

~ Rich