Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Scott Dinhofer's Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@scott dinhofer

Outside, perfect conditions and rested? I'd call it 285....as in you could do 20' at 300w.

That's a target for sure. So indoor, likely 270 (10% off as SWAG to start).

So let's start challenging yourself on the FTP intervals...if you have 2 x 12' say, do it as:

• 4' at 260
    • 4' at 250
    • 4' at 240

Then the next week you could do The 2/15' as:

• 6' @ 260
    • 5' @ 250
    • 4' @ 240
    • Etc.

Make sense?

• Options
    edited November 10, 2018 6:55PM

Just came here to jot down some things for call next Tuesday that I setup with you & saw your post for 1st time. . I will use this space for that and come back and edit. Hopefully you'll glance at my WKOs before that call. If you see anything worth answering before then, have at it.

Oh, and congrats on the big win!!! Jill was 3rd in votes for her condo board and was subsequently nominated to be the board President... hopefully you will be as smart as her and turn down such things!

FTP Discussion - Lifetime outdoor high was 272 validated on 4 1x per week tests outside 2x20 after Al Camp in leadup to IMLP 17. That season I ended OS on the trainer in the mid 240s. I did 2x15 on Tuesday 11/6 at 240. I dialed up the last 5' of Interval 2 to 245. http://tpks.ws/7EKDTK3OUV2CQMA36LVPVFC6SY

Thursday 11/8 did 2 18' sweet spot intervals with Zwift FTP set to 241 - http://tpks.ws/TGUCI6ZB7NY4MEYNDSYZWFRBF4 thinking HR can tell us something? this would be .9IF@241 or .86@250 or .847@255

Run - I am basically doing unstructured runs... One thing Withrow said in an email to me a couple of years ago was to try and get all runs dun under 8' miles.. I started training in the Zoom Flys and every run except one road run and the trail run I did this past Sunday have all been under 8'/mi... but, am I being stupid? should we have more variability on the run? EG, should I be doing some LRP type of runs? like 9' mile? I AM back to my 1x per week speed wko with training buddy. Did 4x 1/2mi on track Weds 11/7 AM - http://tpks.ws/AS4W7DFQDVF47N5QR24LED43CQ

Also should discuss virtue of trail runs (or not) that I might do with Steve Boer in Bear mtn park.. here's one from Sunday 11/4 - https://www.strava.com/activities/1945736892

final running note, I am adding 1 MPW to my run total and am up to 27 week ending 11/11(YOLO!) At some point should we flatten that out? Issue is that in working in a longer Sunday run for the OS, I will have a bunch of very short (2-3 mi) weekday runs (dats ok to me!) to keep running streak going!

Race selection - like the idea of patriot Half, that race is Saturday... Tuesday night I leave for Camp Hoff. I figure it doesn't matter. I should be pretty high on volume at that point that patriot half will be easy. I think it will be interesting as I know you are going to give me guidance to press the limits on B & R.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Looking forward to the call!!!!

• Options
    edited November 14, 2018 1:44AM

did the 260/250/240 3x12 today prior to the office hours - http://tpks.ws/2S35PEY5TLTVT7ALWCSCDXNAM4

definitely VERY tough..

pushed the last one to 4:30@260 - 4:30@250 - 3:00@240

going to run something to keep the streak going after office hours

• Options
    edited November 16, 2018 10:46AM

honing in on FTP Swag... links are TP files.

per above post, I did 2x sweet spot intervals.

Trainer wasn't working right in ERG mode, so i have to figure that out, but 1st interval was a .9 IF of a 253 FTP & 2nd one was .9 of a 242. the 1st one had some spikes in it due to the trainer issue.

This was on top of running speedwork on the track with James on Wednesday. 4x1/2mi; 2x1/4mi, all at high Z4 with 4' rest interval between the halves, and 3' on the 1/4s

how would you have me ride the 2x18s next week. thinking do first one at 6' of 260, then try to do remaining 12'at 250.. then decide what to do for 2nd interval.. maybe try that one at 6' each of 260, 255, 250??? I actually liked the ride I did the other day, I know I am pushing harder than I would be if we just said, "ride at 245 and see how that goes, and we can raise it next week..."

also have to modify the week's schedule for my Turkey Trot/Run Test on Thursday (5k)

thinking I do the following

Mon - Bike FTP/Run 5

Tues-run 4 Tempo

Weds - run 2 EZ

Thrs - Turkey Trot

Fri - run 2-3 - Bike Sweet spot

Sat run 5

Sun Run 8

I am going to VT on Friday midday. Will try to bring a bike(gravel) with me me to do a saturday ride (on trainer) in VT, will be skiing, but it's just gonna be cruising on low base trails. If roads are clear, I can do a 2 hrish Cat 4 Road ride that would be ballz on! Not sure if I try skimo yet given how little will be open..

what say you oh great sage?!

also, when are you traveling to Coz?

• Options

@scott dinhofer - I agree, I really like this interval structure for you. Based off of what you achieved I think that another descending interval is in order. The most important thing is that you get time at 260. And I assume the first and only better than the second so here’s what I’m thinking

And I assume the first in LOL you better than the second so here’s what I’m thinking:

#1 = 8’ @ 260, 6’ @ 250, 4’ @ 245

#2 = 6’ @ 260, 8’ @ 250, 4’ @ 245

If you still have some pop in your legs for the last four minutes of the second in at all, you can push that if you still have some pop in your legs for the last four minutes of the second little, you can push that more.

As for the faster running, I’m OK with it as long as you are completely warmed up at least 15 or 20 minutes of running before you start that stuff. And if you feel anything you stop immediately. It’s not worth doing too much too soon. The benefits do not outweigh the risks at this point.

I think your week structure looks good, especially if you can get some of that outdoor riding in just to give your mind a break. I know you want to rip up Thursday so I’d make Wed an easy hour zwift ride. Zone 1 work towards tron bike or something.

Sound good?

• Options

tron bike?? Me's got that already! (I did a shit ton of workouts in ERG mode, but did "laps" of the radio tower!

will hit the intervals tonight.. now re-thinking the Turkey Trot, it's gonna be 15'F on thursday Morning!! Fark!!!

doing the wednesday ride as an outdoor z1/z2 cruise for an hour or so with a buddy, won't be the frozen tundra, yet.

enjoy paradise & good luck with the slot!

• Options
    edited November 24, 2018 10:10PM

farking trainer is having issues and is effectively a dumb trainer, which was fine, just meant that i was concentrating more...

some numbskull wrote the wko wrong & it was 2x15' in zwift.

I did it as follows - http://tpks.ws/J225ZD4YGTJAHQLBK3W7LUQVKU

Interval 1 8’@260; 7’@ 250

Interval 2 9’ @ 260; 6’@ 248

unfortunately, no HR data(strap is farked), but I wasn't dying, I did give it an extra day of rest, last night legs still felt fatigued from 3.5 hr gravelfest on saturday and 8 mi run Sunday..

congrats on KQ10 - i am curious how things have changed for you from the conversation we had in sbux LP 2013... tell me on our next call.

added 11/24 -

Turkey Trot completed 4th of 91 in AG 50-59. http://tpks.ws/FA7GBJKEVQCMGAQFFQZECTKN5M - this equates to a solid 49 Vdot.

did the 3x15 @ 90% FTP as 90% of 260, nailed the wkos. Friday skinned up Okemo today after running 2 miles in the AM, need to help me understand a good rule of thumb for HR conversion to TSS for an hourish workout at 131-145 HR. http://tpks.ws/YD44OKY52L7ESOMJZKBPEJMMNY

• Options

You are just humming along right now. Really like this “sweet spot” that you are in. We have to be mindful of you adding more fatigue through those alternate activities that don’t fit in the traditional plan: specifically gravel rides and the skimo.

Overall, very pleased. Don’t feel like there’s any need to accelerate anything right now but rather continuing to make sure that our decisions compliment this progress. Will be very pleased have zero interruptions between now in the new year… That’s another six weeks in your back pocket!

Re skimo TSS is hrTSS + 10 additional TSS for every 1k of vert. Reasoning here and I like it: https://www.uphillathlete.com/forums/topic/traing-stress-balance-for-skimo-plan/

• Options
    edited November 26, 2018 3:07AM

a sunday post! thanks!!!

can't believe you found this uphill athlete site. I will dive into it.

I agree the gravel ride was too much. I felt that and realized I was pushing the time limit beyond where I wanted to have an effective training session without hurting downstream WKOs

have kickr fixed. (learned a lot about maintaining them and how they work) the old HR strap I am now using errs on the high side first half mile of a run, new wahoo strap on the way..

focusing on staying as much as possible on plan.. adjusting bike to M-W-F this week instead of tu-th-Sa, then will add in a lap of skinning next saturday on an easier trail

so, I used my AHR from my 5k Turkey Trot race for my Threshold HR in TP (154) and that made the HrTSS for the skinning 80, add 20 (10 per 1000 ft climbing) and that gives me 100 TSS for a 1:15 Wko, thoughts?? seems a little high to me, I am going to give it a 65 for the wko.

Next week I am going to plan on doing 2x of an easier path to the top. Also figured out a technical issue I was having with my bindings so I am guessing I should be at 55 mins or so to the top..

• Options
    edited November 28, 2018 1:40AM

now a couple of questions -

gear for training, want to see what I am missing -

have Stryd, new HR (wahoo) strap coming, Garmin 920xt & Fenix 3, zwift, 2x Wahoo Kickrs. am I missing anything?

software - I pretty much use TP online premium, though have strava. see separate thread on benefit of buying wko+ note for discussion. Per jordan Rapp, I don't change my inputs in TP.. his view was that gives you a true comparison of "how fit am I today" vs one year ago.. if you are faster it pushes CTL even higher. Certainly an interesting debate, but he was the engineer in the conversation..

On stryd, now that I've collected a bunch of data, where should I be looking at it? stryd's panel? TP? elsewhere?

what podcasts/ threads/ articles, videos (can't find the Babbitt Kona edition with you) should I be absorbing to better understand and use stryd?

Hopefully you respond to my cattle prod email, going to do the FTP test later today, failed on interval 1 at 4:30 in, or i should say, I knew it would be a fail.. legz have a bit of accumulated fatigue.. (sat SkiMo, Sun 8m run, monday weights... thinking if i go at 250 i should be good and can try to ride the last 5 mins of interval 1 at 260. then try the 2nd half of interval 2 at 260. I prefer the 2x20(2) test if that's ok.

thoughts on stryd advice?

thoughts on FTP test?

Ok - did the FTP test, 2x20 protocol, 250 for 1st 15' of each interval, 255 for last 5' of Int 1 and 260 last 5' of int 2.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Agreed on on the TSS plan; I think the AHR is right but that with your tech issues (and getting into it again this year) you are slower as you adapt. My guess is you'll be faster and work less on that route (conditions aside) as time progresses. 65 works for now.

As for Gear, don't forget your VASA collection! 🤣

I prefer TP premium...it's good enough. IF we need to use WKO4 we can, but for 95% of the decisions we make, TP premium is solid.

Please don't also send me emails...and texts...and Pms and forum posts. Let's keep it contained. I vote you send me a GroupMe message or Post here. If you have something to be emailed to me, fire away and let me know. My inbox is full of crap and I don't want to miss your stuff.

Stryd - no analysis needed right now. We are bike focused. Run metrics are # of runs per week, miles per week, and weekly Run TSS.

Your FTP test...don't do it in the AM. Your AM Fail was at 140 AHR and 80rpm. In afternoon your rode at 146 AHR (harder!) and 86 rpms...and built the whole way. You aren't an AM tester. I still say use 250 with 260 as the early interval target.

This chart is your magical chart. We want to get sustained TSS in the 600 to 750 range. Your AVG back to 11/2016 is 600...if we are going to move the needle we need to start there. Last four weeks are already in a good space!

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 12:00AM

here is what i am doing with info. I am coming into this thread, putting in info, changes, updates to training, etc. think of it as a stream of consciousness of what I think you as the coach should know.(btw, I've not asked for any opinions from the usual brain trust (Tim C, Al, etc) and all have applauded the approach of me saying "Patrick is coaching me."

Some of the thread may be Questions, some may be just thoughts. If I don't get an answer quick enough, where is best place for me to nudge you? EM? text? Groupme (which one?) btw, the reference to the other thread was more that I started one rather than asking you the question. Trying to be a good EN citizen and lead the way by posting discussion topics in Les Forums! If I don't see a response here, I will come in almost daily and edit my post as per things that took place since you last answered. Assuming I "need" an answer, I'll nudge you pe above.

gonna try to Vasa tonight or tomorrow am and nail final issues with my Vasa collection🤪 new Wahoo HR strap should be here today. Kickr working perfect. I think adding in 2-3 swims PW will up my Weekly TSS to keep us solidy in the range you are seeking.

Trying to get in the long bike on friday, going to VT again this weekend (16" in this last storm of Snowvember!) planning on 2x skimo laps! (race practice)

QUESTION - for next week, when the NOS moves to 2X a week of VO2 Intervals. How do you feel about me doing some Paul Curtin Crush Intervals? Higher effort, shorter time... or doing Tuesday as WKO written and thursday Curtin's Crush?

for reference here's a typical Crush Interval set I did last year, goal would be to get to 10 intervals. what TSS would you be looking for in a WKO if you said for me to do these?

Skimo - here's a wko done by the QT2 guy who got me into this - https://www.strava.com/activities/1990085425 - note the comments on my TSS question, his max HR was 133, w avg of 116.. dangit!

• Options

@Coach Patrick - aside from above questions, the question for today is on the long saturday wko.

the way they were written in the workout generator, there is a 90' Z3 interval, no breaks. the way we used to do APB we did them as 25(5). That 90' is a killer, then to roll into a 15'FTP interval, more death...

so today's wko -I toggled my effort down on the Zwift control panel to 10% lower after 25' 2x, then again after another 15' and 10'... I did not feel like i could do the FTP effort without a true rest interval. Just giving you plan feedback.

I am going to rewrite the wkos for saturday to give me a 4'ez spin after the long interval and before the FTP effort. assuming you feel ok with that. would you want me to do that for all the wkos I generated and create it as downloads for all? are others having same issue?

LMK if we should discuss. btw, i plan to hit the bike around 3PM, do a 8' warmup and one 15-18' FTP interval before getting in car and heading to VT.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - thanks for the heads up on how you plan to use this thread. I honestly check here 1x a week as most folks aren't that engaged; but I'll make a note...and I am subscribed for notifications.

• Just nudge me in GroupMe...that's the best place...I'll see it. If you need an answer like in 10', then just text me. 🤣
    • I vote we hold off on Paul's stuff right now. You are in a good place (TSS wise) but it's going to get harder. Even to just sustain that, so we need to be smart. And plus, new 2019 IM plans will have more "work" in them, so it's not all "get faster in winter or else" stuff.
    • Man, that skimo stuff makes me want to retire from being a triathlete!!!!
    • Yes to the Zwift update, super smart. I assumed folks would "edit" as you have, but it can't hurt to have that out there; some might really appreciate it!!!
  • Options

well, i thought the concept of elite EN was to have more frequent conversation than in the micro thread! note the link to what EN-Elite is in the first post of the En Elite thread is dead... so I don't know what I signed up for!!! that said, appreciate you checking more often. I get that weekends are for family in your world, and will respect that line unless i have a really needy Q...

today's run(Saturday) 4.4 miles, all runs in my hoka speedgoat mids seem slower as those shoes are a lot heavier than the flyknit. It was also 2.2 miles on a dirt road that had been plowed but still had a pretty slippy suface to run on and accumulated packed down snow/ice.. did I mention that Snowvember left over 20" in the last 9 days in VT? #snowbound

Will do the Saturday WKO updates and save to a folder, will let you know when I can drop it into box..

skimo - seriously, will give you the weekends we are coming and have room, many, bring the fam.. or we can pick a Friday to meet in VT for a day and rent you a set up.. happy to teach you the gear, which is all it really is..

speaking of which, going by the rule of thumb that the website ^^up there^^ referred to. Use HrTss and add 20 per 100' of climbing. that would give me 69HrTss = 40 for climbing today and have me at 109 for a 55' workout at 141AHR - that seems too high...thinking 65ish probably realistic. when I ride tribike on a 5 hour ride, i typically rack up 50/h. Thinking this was way harder than an hour of riding. also the comments you get from all the downhillers when you are walking uphill in a tshirt are amazing.

QUESTION - as this is important for developing the HrTss metric, what # would you use for my HR Threshold? I now max is around 172-174 as I have seen that in the last few months. my AHR from the Turkey Trot that i raced was 156, that's what I have plugged into TP as threshold HR... is that the right thing to have in there?

• Options

I have to admit, all of these snow updates are killing me! I’m pumped that your investment is already paying off.

As we get further into the winter, it’s gonna be harder for you to really maintain a consistent speed given the terrain changes that you were going to be experiencing. And of course, the conditions. This is when Power makes a difference as theoretically your wattage will vary accordingly and is a much more complete metric than just pace. Remember, the parameters I set for you are to gain more TSS, not to worry about a specific pace just yet.

So if you have a TSS target, then we want you to get into that range. It may mean taking a slippery, I’m slower run and making it 20 minutes longer so you are in the right TSS over time. That is something we can wrestle with as the winter unfolds.

In terms of the hrTSS question, remember 100 TSS in an hour is threshold. You did an hour at 141 bpm which is approximately 90% of your threshold heart rate. I think the elevation number may be a little off for you at this point, but I feel like from intensity perspective you should still have about 85 hrTSS for those 55 minutes. Thoughts?

• Options

Terrain - so, It's clear for me that I should run on route 100 (.2mi from my house) and not waste time on side roads. That will give me best terrain and not too many hills. it's sorta a rolling river valley connecting a string of lakes where I am between okemo & killington.

as for the TSS, I'd say that 85 might be accurate. If I ran my typical pace for an hour, I'd run around 135ish and cover about 7.2-7.5 miles earning around low 80ish rTSS, so I think that 85 is fair...

totally blew my run streak yesterday.. icy conditions in the AM in VT, then got home and had to throw together a hannukah dinner for my kids... does 2x runs today preserve it???

seriously, if you want the house for the cost of a cleaning fee, I might be able to give to you the weekend of the 15th... holding out for a renter as we can't go up, but if it doesn't rent by say next monday or tuesday, happy to throw it the McCrann family.. just lmk.. if you can haul a bike up there without the rear wheel, there is a kickr you can use!

• Options
    I agree on the TSS...but don't forsake FUN running for well paced running.
    I just want you running...if it means an extra 15' of amazing VT road time,
    that's cool with me. True "pace" running will be much more useful when we
    get in season. For now, it's cumulative aerobic time.

I say yes to two runs...only so much you can do with a situation like
    that! Other than get some snowshoes for a quick 15' lap??? 🤣

Keep me posted on the 15th. I have to pay SOMETHING just so we are on the
    up and up...and I'll check with La Wife.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2018 9:14PM

update for this week. @Coach Patrick

weight 153.2 as of this AM with 3 weeks to go to xmas I am on target to be at 150, or certainly close enough that I feel good about the first goal! Reminder, i was 147 at IMLP '17 and my goal is 138-140 for '19.

Running is good, intervals on the bike are going good. Did the VO2 set last night and suffered through it... ran 1.25 mi brick a half hour later that felt like shizz, (9min miles!) then i go out at 7am today and knock out 5.3 mi without thinking about it at a 7:53 pace! must have been the Nike Flyknits I wore this morning vs the Bondi 5 last night!

I advanced everything a day this week so I am doing the Saturday wko on Friday and will do skimo on Saturday as CnC. ahead on running this week, will do 10 on sunday getting me to 30,

I did 1000m swim the other day and will do another one tonight, possibly another one tomorrow. Got some intel from Vasa on my computer issues and have to define a couple of problemos for them.

as an FYI, the setting on Zwift for my Vo2 intervals was the 246 I tested at and it seemed rightish...

my 30" were 418, 415, 407, 393 & my 1' were 378, 379, 383, 373 or in other words, 165% & 154% of a 246FTP that I tested at last week. will do this weekend's FTP interval trying to do at least half of it at 260, balance at 255 and 250 if necessary.

LMK if any thoughts?

• Options
    Body Comp...great place, and trending right. Remember work input is more
    important than 24/7 great food choices. IOW, you have a post workout window
    where you can eat...SKIMO hard for 2h? You have 2h starting right after
    workout end, to eat. You can't go binge that night, etc.

Running should still be in observation mode right now. Good run / bad run,
    all I care about is TSS. Listen to evil tri coach!!! Admittedly, fast and
    easy runs are preferred...but not required just yet. There's still time.

Love the bike stuff...that's great work. I am not so worried about indoor
    VO2 as it's so much harder than outside. What's more important is that you
    push hard on those sets (which you are). I recommend experimenting with
    your cadence a bit. You really need it to be over 100 to hit a good number.

Looking forward to more SKIMO PORN pics...
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2018 6:19PM

@Coach Patrick- attempted the Saturday wko today. I've been a day ahead all week, so it's not like I haven't done it on enough rest from the Thurs Vo2 which I did on Weds. -

here's the file for today on TP - http://tpks.ws/QTTAKXSNF4SLVUFBIZN2MHSDPQ

did the first hr very steady 205 (FTP was set at 246, what I tested at) felt like it wasn't enough as AHR was 125 for the first 35'. I upped the effort to 210 target, but was only getting 208 average for the balance of the first hour. did a 5' "break at 1hr of the interval at 185, back up to 208 for balance with a 4' break at 285 in there. attempted to do the FTP iinterval after the 5' rest interval, at 260, just could not execute, tried at 250, pretty trashy feeling. Planning on going back this afternoon, doing a 8-10' warmup, 15' FTP interval, and the balance of the workout... Not sure if anything to add for next week, think I'll schedule a call and we can discuss.

• Options

@scott dinhofer -- I think we need to push your FTP work early, then you hang on...that's better for as you stretch for a higher FTP number.

Plus you had a slightly aggro week (a day earlier means less rest on the front end) but still...can you invert it and we try?

I "hack" that type of WKO with a race to get my FTP time and then do a steady ride...

~ Coach P

• Options

I like the idea there of front ending the FTP! will write the file and get er done this week!

separate question @Coach Patrick did the 2' VO2 intervals last week as 120% of 246=295, felt "fine." Thinking I try them at 120% of 260=312...

• Options

Update to above, did the 6x2" at the higher effort lastnight, no problemo, not sure i can do the crazy thrs at that base, but we'll see.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Couldn't resist, Had to come see the VO2 stuff. So you are at low 300s now and consistent across 6 intervals (NICE).

Your peak right now is 309w for 2'....and your peak from last year was 1/7/2018 at 390...which I am assuming is a race because You set all kinds of power records that day?

So...actions are...

1. We got to get a few intervals over 310 from you as you are at 307 right now.
    2. Let's front load those intervals as well...so think 20 to 30 seconds standing in a bigger gear, then finish 90" at your current state. Not sure how that plays out in ERG mode but let me know.
    3. Discuss racing with me...where/when do we want to add this into your plan for those "surge" moments.

Also added weekly run volume to your TP.com dashboard...you are 10x what you were this time last year. PUMPED!

~ Coach P

• Options

thanks, appreciate the observations.

the jan ride you refer to was an EN group ride where I crushed the sprints & KOMs...

if you want to look at interval type of VO2 efforts, we can look at my Paul Curtin Crush Interval WKOs.

http://tpks.ws/5EI52NYAQE4FYVBSZFMHMRBM4Y

http://tpks.ws/UNIDS4Y47EJSHNESDQT3VB3OUI

http://tpks.ws/VNB55V64DDORUH4TMZHN5ONDVA

http://tpks.ws/C7HYDQILNPZNRQ2BAGBMTVPNEA

very intersted in this discussion as I had already marked as part of our agenda on tomorrow's call. Open to discussing what to do vs the structured intervals. I was thinking forward towards February after the NOS that will be over at end of Jan. Perhaps the next step is increasing Zwift racing for Feb/March, unless you want me to do that now? Also, don't know if you saw the email I sent you with the article by the QT2 coach who I randomly met that got me into Skimo.. I am planning on skimo races on 1/5 & 3/16. I may go for a 24 hr race on 2/10.

Did a gravel ride last Saturday, 2:18 time, 165TSS. I worked the punchy hills as Vo2 type of efforts, examples typically 275-305 for 2 - 3 minutes. Want to ensure this is a good use of time vs the Sat RXd ride in OS. Anytime I am out on group rides, I am seriously one of the weaker riders, so it's always pushing.

Also wanted to discuss with you my season Schedule/ planner and the context of a withrow/behler 200 miler, both at Al Camp & On my own (NY to VT)

Jan 5 - skimo race

Feb 10 - 24 hrs of Bolton skimo race

March 16 - skimo race

March 31- rattler 100k mtb sat / 18 mi trail run Sunday

May 4 - solo 200 Miler to VT yes/no?

May 18 - NYGF 100 miles or AmZof?

May 31 - 6/6 (FRI-THRS) al camp, no ragnar, fri - thrs, withrow 200 miler?

June 15 - Patriot half drive up Fri afternoon, race Saturday

June 19 - 23, Camp Hoff

July 4 - 7, 4 days to train harder at the lake

July 12 - 14, 2 weekends before race, solo mini camp in LP- same format as coach P camp. (or do coach P camp weekend after camp hoff?)

Holiday week. I am in VT Saturday afternoon (after sat AM ride) through Friday 28th. I could bring bike up and be able to do VO2 intervals on Tues/Thrs. is it worth it? I could do Cruise & crush on sunday as well... that said, I'd rather not bring the bike, focus on the holiday run challenge (1 hr per day run) and do skimo 3x during the week. I could try to add some VO2 work to the skimo by doing an HR interval for x time at X HR... let's discuss.

other things to discuss - what am I not thinking about asking you @Coach Patrick ? what should I be thinking about that I am not?

as an FYI, have VASA sorted out and am starting up swimming this week, 1-2 sessions, none during xmas week, and back at it NY weekend... Will be building swim strength and start going for some swimlab lessons in February.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Great talk today! Here are my thoughts for you, in no particular order...

THE BIKE

VO2s higher during the week at 270 start...

• Descending intervals, as TIME AT HIGHER EFFORTS matters most. With VO2, I am okay with 315, 310, 305...etc. If that means you are hitting new peaks.
    • Note, that's not how I want you pacing Threshold (which I want higher within the interval, but still closely aligned intervals).
    • No zwift racing until the end of the OutSeason!
    • Consider February Zwift Volume Bike Week with Rob Sabo?

Body Comp Update - Goal was 150lbs by XMAS.

• Stuck at 153 for 2 weeks at holiday challenge.
    • Down 15lbs in 2.5 months!!
    • Next target is sub-150 by end of January.
    • Race Plan...mid-June Al Camp is body comp target.

Running...

• Not doing the strides and not pushing the end of the long run.
    • This is 100% okay; continue to push push push the bike for intentional gains and let the run gains come on their own. You can do the random 5k race if you like.
    • Goals are 32-34 miles per week in January.

Holiday Week:

• No bike please...
    • Run Challenge YES an hour a day, steady steady.
    • SKIMO your ass off, you'll get a virtual month of skimo done in less than 7 days.

Schedule Advice

• Jan 5 - skimo race YES
    • Feb 10 - 24 hrs of Bolton skimo race YES
    • March 16 - skimo race YES
    • March 31- rattler 100k mtb sat / 18 mi trail run Sunday YES
    • May 4 - solo 200 Miler to VT (YES, weather dependent)
    • May 18 - NYGF 100 miles or AmZof? Target is nice 5hour power, stick with a solid group
    • May 31 - 6/6 (FRI-THRS) al camp, ragnar, fri - thrs, Stupid Withrow Challenge 200 miler (this is the main target)
    • June 15 - Patriot half drive up Fri afternoon, race Saturday YES, need to talk race pacing come post Al Camp
    • June 19 - 23, Camp Hoff Agenda, TBD
    • (Do coach P camp weekend after Camp Hoff? ThIs is TBD based off of your May Cycling Volume)
    • July 4 - 7, 4 days to train harder at the lake ThIs is TBD
    • July 12 - 14, 2 weekends before race, solo mini camp in LP- same format as coach P camp. ThIs is TBD
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2018 1:21PM

Pre new years update.

woke up last Friday (22nd) with a horrible head cold. managed a 4ish mile treddy run. By mid-afternoon had a fever, got into bed, lots of tea, tylenol, sleep. Full on alternating chills & cold sweats all night. woke up feeling "better." Tried to 2 2 different bikes, failed. Drove up to VT that afternoon. Sunday, ran a very strong 11mi run. DH skied after. Got in a run & DH ski every day. Tuesday (xmas) got in a full up skimo on Okemo & another 1/2 up effort. Friday was a fail. Rain/sleet up in VT, came home, had been nursing this cold all week and got nothing in on Friday. Today did a front loaded saturday effort on the bike. Wasn't really feeling like doing it, but got the warmup & 20' interval done. did 1'@250, 11'@260, the remaining 8' at efforts between 246(rest) and 255. Could not mentally get going on the long 90 min set at what is essentially IM pace...

followed up a couple of hours later with a run - 7.3 mi @ 8:26/mi

sunday planning

• Options
    edited January 2, 2019 4:04PM

Happy new Year! thanks for the email message

back at it today. Instead of testing, we seem to have good #s to work off of, I did a VO2 set. I decided to pull the page off of what you were doing with the FTP sets and just work them hard.

I had base setting at 260FTP (which is higher than tested 246) then worked the intervals up from there using that ride you highlighted above as the base line.

did 5 sets of 3' @ 298, 306, 313, 312, 297 - the work was much harder than the previous weeks. I'd say I comfortably executed the intervals in past weeks, whereas this week the intervals were VERY VERY hard , almost tortuous. Definitely a higer level of work 80+ TSS for a 1:10 workout. Missed the 6th interval :-(

QUESTIONS - now I need some advice on structuring my week. Planning on a skimo race on Saturday. Race should take me 2 1/2 hours. The question is if I should do Thursday VO2 intervals? Saturday's long ride on Thursday or just an EZ spin on Thursday. will continue running all week except for Saturday.

Also, not sure that my solo NY2VT ride will happen. In actuality, now that i think about it, I can do a ride to Brad Marcus' house and back to NY, with a bailout on the train anywhere after 150 to get me back south. that said, was looking at the fact that Gabe P & Patrick Large are putting together a R2R2R group for late April. I could jump on that bandwagon, but NOT if it blows a training hole we don't want to deal with.

btw, the VO2 sets get even more intense with Tucker cheering me on!