Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Katsuyuki Kiya Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya Thank you for your patience. I have loaded a new Bike Focus plan for you so we can boost your power outside of the traditional FTP work that we have been doing. In thi ssession, you will do so high power Zwidft workouts (do not do them in ERG mode...just pick a course aNd when you are ready, Shift into a harder gear and really get after it.

I usually need to stand for the first 10 seconds, going really hard, then sit down and shift a bit easier but try to keep the watts up. This will be tough!

Here are your interval targets for the rest of the Bike Focus Block:

• 30" Interval Targets: 400w to 380w
    • 45" Interval Targets: 380w to 360w
    • 1' Interval Targets: 355w to 335w
    • 3' Interval Targets: 295w to 275w
    • 4' Interval Targets: 275w to 260w
    • 5' to 8' Interval Targets: 260w to 250w

There are no swims in this block, but you can continue to swim with your group as you want. If you need swims, let me know.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for the new Plan.

However, the Plan of this week (May 6 to May 12) has not been entered.

Will this make you a Plan later?

Or is it a so-called rest this week?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Katsuyuki Kiya ~K2ヾ(^v^)k~

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I would like to confirm two things about Bike Focus Plan

・ May be a full rest day on Monday?

・ Can I use only Easy Swim with Active Rest on Friday?

・ Wednesday, Swim and Bike (rollers) are all right?

I am a study day (hospital) from morning to night on Monday. Also, because I am tired of weekends, I used to often turn it off on Monday.

On Thursdays, I will do rollers in the morning (the menu of the Plan you made) and at night I will participate in the team's running practice sessions (high-intensity exercises). So Friday was so tired that I had only an easy swim on the active rest.

As mentioned above, I will run Bike and Run on Thursday. So, on Wednesday, is it OK with Swim (training session or self-training) and roller (Easy 30 minutes)?

It is as follows when my schedule is put together.

Monday: Day Off

Tuesday: Bike (Bike Focus Plan)

Wednesday: Swim (60 '), Bike (Easy, 30')

Thursday: Bike (Bike Focus Plan), Run (interval, ex: 400m, 1000m, 10kmTT)

Friday: Swim (Easy, 45 ') or Day Off

Saturday: Bike & Run (Bike Focus Plan)

Sunday: Bike & Run (Bike Focus Plan)

Please let me know your thoughts.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya I like how yo have laid out the week..YES to a Monday off. The only change would be if you are unable to do the run intervals on Thursday. I am concerned you might be too tired to run them well...so let me kNow how that works out. Very excited to see your numbers!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Certainly on Thursday, after working in the morning after Bike training, I finished the work as it is a night run practice meeting immediately, so I am quite tired.

For me, Thursday is BigDay for training.

I will check my physical condition myself and do my best not to get injured.

This weekend, if the weather is fine, we plan to hold a training camp with our fellow triathlete @ Akio Yamauchi.

In that case, I may change the menu for the weekend a little, are you sure? (Next Weekend Menu: Bike Focus: Cruise & Crush Ride (2.5hrs) + Brick Run (~ 30min))

by the way,

Is it okay to carry out tomorrow's Bike Test (FTP Test) on schedule?

Before, you wrote the following in a Facebook message:

"No testing yet .... first we build!"

In particular, if there is no reply from you, tomorrow, I will carry out the FTP test again according to the menu.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - sorry I missed your note about the test. I usually need more than one day of notice to get back to you. My apologies. 😢

You can ride longer with Akio but try to follow the goal of getting the few short intervals in. Otherwise you have my permission to draft off of Akio and make him work for you! The aerobic time matters, but it's the high intensity intervals that will create the right change we are looking for right now.

~ Coach P

ps PICTURES to EN IN Japan page please...

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I thank you for your concern.

I will try to tell you what I want to tell you as soon as possible.

For this weekend's training camp, I will try to run Bike VO2 Long 1 (including high intensity intervals) → Brick Run as directed by you.

The next day (May 19th) if the weather is fine, I will do ABP Ride → Run Long Brick outside according to your menu.

I tag my Facebook post with Endurance Nation and Endurance Nation Japan.

Other than that, is it OK if I upload the situation of my activity separately to the Endurance Nation Japan page?

Well then, let's put in a picture of this weekend, too?

• Options

That sounds great. I’m not upset with you, I just feel badly that I missed the chance to give you advice. I hope you have a great weather and a fun weekend with lots of miles and smiles. And of course, pictures!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Unfortunately, I can not attend the weekend camp because of my work.😭

However, I will be able to secure training time in the morning, so I will carry out the menu you made.

by the way,

Do you know that the IM Korea bike course has changed?

The other day, it was announced that Bike Course was changed by IM Korea official announcement on Facebook.

The map of the modified course has not been reflected yet, but Garmin's driving data has been updated instead.

Bike: The first 17.6 km

Bike:Loop circuit 74.7 km

Bike:Final route to home 3.8Km

New running course

They also uploaded videos for the new Bike course.

Below are their comments.

”Hi athletes, we made 2019 course preview video to explain our course.

Our 2019 bike course is 2 laps of 74Km. 2018 course was 3 laps of 43Km. It will be big change.

Please turn on English subtitle option to see with English.

I uploaded 2019 course preview video at youtube.”

I hope you find it useful in making my training menu in the future.

• Options

hold on.... the IM Bike is 170km and not 180km? That course looks pretty tough. You should move to America where Ironman is much easier. 🤣 Even the two Men in the video...they never smiled. 😢

Can you please map the course out on RideWithGPS.com or a similar site where I can download the GPX file to run calculations with? I tried but the map became confusing with the two loops and i couldn't fix it.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

As for the data for the entire new bike course, I have asked my friends in Korea to provide data if anyone has tried it.

When I asked a Korean triathlete friend about a new bike course, he told me that it was easier than last year.

The following is the information exchanged among the triathletes in Korea.

(It may be a strange sentence because it was translated from Korean → Japanese → English ...)

Hello Oyounfan. The battle of IM Korea has remained for about four months now.

I made a course reconnaissance video like a greedy iron man side to help a lot of people preparing.

The part that changed from last year is

The first interest rate is only once once you get up to Jiyishan hot spring side Shandong uphill, there is a gas station if you go up just a little on Jiyishan hot spring uphill.

As it is only distance, it is not enough to talk with uphill.

Then, don't go up to the Hyogok Reservoir's fork, which was on the circulation course, and make a U-turn at the Hyogok Church (a point of the multiprocessing system last year) in front of it.

As the uphill section which is longer than last year is shorter and the industrial road where packaging is better is a course, it seems that the record can go a little faster than last year.

Although the industrial road went up last year and went up reverse, the car did not move up to the front of the tournament, and it continued smoothly without decelerating the positive traveling speed.

The running section is slightly different from last year

You will be able to run while feeling the fall with the body in the course that runs between trees in the early stage.

The interval for each multiprocessing system will be a little shorter than last year and will run without concern for widespread use.

Make sure that all courses are familiar and safely complete the better record.

The course will be examined directly, and if you can stimulate the training to make the image of the course repeat, the light will be emitted in the actual battle.

Even if you are already familiar with the course, if you do OK over and over again, you will be able to get a better record.

Safety is of the utmost importance, and records can emerge on that basis. With the wonderful natural scenery of the Gurye, please enjoy the skill that you have refined until now.

• Options

Thank you for the update! I appreciate the commentary, but I think an actual map will help us out. I tried to do it, but since I am unfamiliar with the roads I was unable to create it. Can you ask your friend if there is a Garmin or TCX or GPX file of the complete new course? Even if your friends is on starva, you can go to their profile on the day they rode the course, view the workout, and download the file to your computer. If you are unable to do this, I certainly can. I will just need the URL to the actual workout!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I am asking Korean friends for the new bike course data.

I will tell you once the data is available.

This is not my bike data, but @ Akio Yamauchi's 2017 IM Korea bike data.

He gave me this data if he could help me.

I was not good at handling the data, and when I made the data reflected in my Garmin, it was as if I were running data, but it is actually the bike data of @ Akio Yamauchi.

I do not have such a fast bike (^ 0 ^;).

This year's IM Korea bike also seems to have some changes in the course, but it is roughly the same as the 2017 course.

Until you get the new bike course data, I think this data will be your reference.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya Thank you for this.. I have uploaded it into your Best Bike Split account so we can see the results. I would be curious to hear your opinion on these numbers.

Link: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public/128589

Cheat Sheet Numbers:

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I thank you for your response.

Still, I do not know how to handle "Best Bike Split" well ... This data, referring to the IM Korea bike course of 2017, how I should ride with Bike Is it showing?

It is great that you can see not only the altitude but also the wind direction.

In other words, does this data mean that I can finish a bike in 5 hours and 10 minutes if I run 180km and average (flat / headwind) 179W?

I have never run 180km in practice non-stop, so I do not know how strong it is, but I think it can be done.

Exactly, I have "Epic Long Ride Day" in the practice menu this weekend.

I will try running 180km on that day on Bike.

Therefore, I will try to finish running with Bike referring to the table of “Power Based” that you indicated.

by the way,

I have two questions today.

The first question is about food.

My friend @ Akio Yamauchi recommends that I should start eating restrictions soon.

Specifically, it is carbohydrate restriction.

But I love to eat. (^ 0 ^;)

I especially love rice (rice ball). (^ _ ^;

He told me to look at the nutrition site on the EN wiki page.

However, the page of nutrition was the page of the audio file, and my poor English ability could not be heard at all.

Should I take any action on meals for IM on September 22?

The second question is fatigue.

I started the Bike Focus Plan and have been feeling tired since the middle of May.

Recently, I sometimes go to bed for about 10 hours, but still I am sleepy, I can not get up in the morning comfortably, and I have been having a heavy physical condition since morning.

Yesterday, I oversleep in the morning,

Bike → Brick Run

The appointment of

Changed to Bike only.

Also this morning, I feel lazy from the morning

Swim → indoor roller

The appointment of

Changed to Swim only.

No matter how lazy I feel, I think that only the menu of Bike will be firmly done.

The Bike Focus Plan will continue for another three weeks, but is it better to change the menu a bit?

If I change it as follows, I think that I can implement the menu.

Monday: Completely OFF

Tuesday: Bike Focus Plan (as specified menu)

Wednesday: Swim

Thursday: Morning ... Bike Focus Plan (as specified menu) / night ... running practice session (high intensity interval or TT)

Friday: Completely OFF or Easy Swim

Saturday: Bike Focus Plan (as specified menu)

Sunday: Bike Focus Plan (as specified menu)

How about that?

• Options

K2 -

Thanks for the reply!! Here are my thoughts:

1...I think the modified week you describe is ok. The bike focus plan is HARD more rest is appropriate. I am on a similar plan. I feel ok once I start but getting started (out of bed) is difficult.

2...why is akio recommending this? Do you have extra weight or an energy problem? You look very thin to me so let me know the purpose of the change and I will advise you.

3....best bike split shows you your potential. It’s still a tough ride and will require more fitness to achieve. Plse do not follow that intensity/pacing guide for your long ride!!!!! You are already tired. The ride is supposed to just be a nice normal aerobic day. We have plenty of time to do Iron Man specific rides later.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2019 2:26AM

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for your quick response!

○About feeling tired

When I used Run on weekdays only for running practice sessions on Thursday, my fatigue was gone.

For example, yesterday was 10km TT (the last week of every month is the day of TT).

I was very tired at the end of the last month, and it was a terrible time of 38'23 ".

Last night I was very comfortable running. Especially in the second half, the time was not bad, so it was 37'52”'.

Also, I will have a two-day break next month (June) as there are plenty of paid holidays. (Japanese work too much! ... I too😂)

○About food / nutrition

The wiki page on EN says that you will start "Race Nutrition" about 12 weeks ago, right?

I have 15 weeks to IM Korea, but do I have to start doing something about meals?

Most of the above pages were accessed as audio files, so I could not understand my poor English ability.

If I don't have to be aware of anything yet, I will try to eat what I want to eat.

@ Akio Yamauchi says that carbohydrate restriction... in particular, by training him to eat very little breakfast, he seems to be trying to establish an internal mechanism to generate energy from the lipids in his body, instead of getting energy from sugar (carbohydrate).

○About the Power of Bike

I understood your idea.

So, for now, it's important for me to focus on the Bike Focus Plan, and the Bike power chart you've shown me will be a challenge at the next Full Bike Focused.

☆About Training Plans

The training plan you mentioned before is as follows...

*3/18 ~ (1W)... <<Taper>> ~ 3/24 full marathon

*3/25 ~ (2W)... <<Recovery>> ~ 4/7

*4/8 ~ (4W)... <<OutSeason Plan>> ~ 5/5

*5/6 ~ (6W)... <<BikeFocusPlan>> ~ 6/16

*6/17 ~ (14 W)... <<Full BikeFocused>> ~ 9/22

*9/22 IM Korea

My FinalSurge has a BikeFocusPlan from May 6 to June 23.

So the BikeFocusPlan is seven weeks, not six.

Does this mean that you changed the plan a little?

• Options

Thank you for your quick reply as well. I am not comfortable with people restricting their breakfast in order to do a better job of using the lipid stores for performance. That would make sense to me if you do a race itself did not have sufficient fuel located for you to utilize, but we have plenty of aid stations. It is more important to me that you were properly fueled for each session and can hit them at full energy.

I still want you to make the transition to the full plan on June 16, sometimes I don’t remove the end of the former plan until I see how you are doing.

Does transitioning to the full plan on that date still work for you?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for your reply.

*About meals

I agree with you.

My wife is a registered dietitian (national qualification) and she also disagrees with the idea of using fat to generate energy through dietary restrictions (Limit Breakfast) and training.

I eat well until now, train, and if necessary, replenish during training.

The only thing I'm worried about is that in the second half of the IM race (Primarily Run), stomach and internal organ problems (nausea) make it impossible to get refills.

Do you have any good ideas about it?

*About Training Plans

I have questions and suggestions for you.

That is what you wrote before.

Do you mean 'Full Bike Focused Plan' (14 Weeks) from June 17 to September 22?

If so,

Does it mean that the Bike Focus Plan will be 1 week shorter?

Am I correct in understanding that "Week Six" (FTP testing, etc.) of the Bike Focus Plan will be conducted for 1 week from June 10 to June 16 after the "Week Five" of the attached image (FinalSurge for June) has disappeared?

In fact, I agree that June 16 should be the last week of the Bike Focus Plan.

Because I have a day off on the middle of the week (6/12) and training camp on the weekend.

I have the following suggestions.

Monday, June 10 Day OFF.

Tuesday, June 11 Bike VO2 Short 6

Wednesday, June 12 (Sun) Bike FTP * work holiday

Thursday, June 13: Running practice session (high intensity interval)

Friday, June 14 Easy Swim or Day OFF

Saturday, June 15: Epic Long Ride Day * Training camp

Sunday, June 16 (Sat) Running: Steady TRP 12 mile * Training camp

I take a paid vacation on Wednesday, June 12, so no matter how tired I get from FTP, I can rest for 1 day.

So, on Wednesday, June 12,.

Bike FTP

I want to change it to.

You can also.

I will be training camp with @ Akio Yamauchi and triathlon friends on Saturday, June 15 and 16th (Sun).

So, on Saturday, June 15,.

Epic Long Ride Day

, and then click

The next day, June 16, Sunday menu

Running: Steady TRP 12 mile

I want to change it to.

I just have a day off and training camp on the 3rd week of June (Monday, June 10 to Sunday, June 16.).

So,

It is my pleasure to have the Bike Focus Plan menu for the last week (Week Six) by June 16 before entering the "Full Bike Focused Plan." starting Monday, June 17.

I will do Week Four of the Bike Focus Plan as it is on the menu until this week, and next week, will I do it on the above menu?

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Options

Nausea is a function of effort or food. The food we want to make sure that you are drinking enough fluids with you food. For example if you don’t have this nausea on a long training ride + brick run, then we know that on race day, you need to do a better job early on. We have a Sweat Test protocol you will do at 12 weeks before your race so we can see how much fluid you need. If you fuel properly on the bike, then we only really need to eat in the first hour of the IM marathon. The rest is fluids, some gel blocks and coke…your stomach can’t take much more. 

Maybe you can tell me how many fluid ounces you drink per hour on the bike and what you eat?

Also what you eat (typically) on the run?

As for the training YES that is PERFECT. Thank you. I will remove week 5 and move week 6 there…then you can edit it.

I have adapted your intervals a bit in preparation for your next testing cycle as our short interval work is having a good effect. The next step is to do more work as we move from 5minutes out to 12 minutes in preparation for your test in a few weeks. Note that the first interval of each set will be very mentally hard. Do your best.

Here is a chart so you can see how you are getting stronger (yellow line higher than red line). Now our focus is on the blue box area.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I want you to tell me something.

The training camp on Saturday was cancelled due to a storm forecast.

So I'm thinking of riding 180 km on the indoor roller.

Since it is a good opportunity, I would like to take a look at the bike course of IM Korea of "Best Bike Split" you made the other day.

@ Akio Yamauchi told me that you can output "Best Bike Split" data for Zwift.

What should I do?

If you know how to do it, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

• Options

I do not know how to do it, but I also don’t want you to ride that pace like the race right now. It’s way too early for you to focus like that. Instead I recommend you find one of the Longer Endurance rides and sit in with them at 3.0 to 3.2 W per kilo for a steady ride.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach, I'm sorry.

By the time I received your reply, I had finished my workout.

Tomorrow, I will turn off completely and take a good rest.

I saw the training schedule until the race in September.

The key points in the future are the following workouts, right?

Week 8 Bike Challenge Ride (Saturday, June 29)

Week 11 Bike Challenge Ride (Saturday, July 20)

Week 15 Bike Race Simulation + Bike Long (Friday, August 16 to Saturday, August 17)

Week 18 Bike Race Simulation (Saturday, September 7)

I will try my best to make my work as convenient as possible and do it as planned.

• Options

Yes those are the big weekends as of now, but that actual load / workout may change depending on your fitness as those dates approach. If you can block out the dates, great.

I am encouraged by your hard work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Will I do both "Bike Long" and "Bike Long Optional Sweat Test" on July 6? Or should I choose one and carry it out?

• Options

I prefer the Bike Sweat test UNLESS you have already dialed in your Sweat Rate and hydration plan. So, if you are 100% satisfied with your nutrition plan (no issues on race day) then you can do the long ride. Make sense?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I have never succeeded in feeding in a race.

Especially in Run, I often feel sick and nauseous even though I'm thirsty and can't drink water.

So I would like to experience EN's proposed nutritional supplementation during the race, so I plan to do a test on Saturday.

Do you want me to do the following work?

WU: 20 ’ Zone 1 ~ 2

M1: 4 x 25 ’ (5 ’) Zone 2 ~ 3

M2: 30 ’ Zone 2

*Weight Measurement 1

Test: Last Hour 60 ’ Zone 2/Easy

*Weight Measurement 2

WD: 10 ’ Easy Spin

Total 4: 00 ’ 00 ”

• Options

Yes thats what we want. I also want to know what you typically eat on the bike and run if you could write that out for me it would be helpful. It’s possible you already did it before when we first got started so let me know.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

○About Sweat Test

I finished the Sweat Test last Saturday.

The results are as follows:.

Pre Test Weight 58.1 kg *

Post Test Weight 57.85 kg

= 0.25 kg (Total Weight Lost)

I drank 772 g

*Weight + 2 gels, 2 yokan, 4 salt tablets

But I drank a lot of water before the test (Workout of MS1 or MS2 after warming up).

For your information, my weight when I woke up this day was 59.75 kg.

According to the materials on the EN site, do I need the following fluids?

Cool Conditions

113.398 g

Hot Conditions

170.097 g

I want you to tell me what you can learn from this test.

○Supplemental food for training (Bike, Run)

I use expensive gel during the race because it is light and compact, but I usually use cheap gel (heavy and bulky) during practice.

・Amino Vital Jelly

Nutrients per bottle (180 g)

Energy: 1.5 kcal/Protein: 39.9 g/Lipid: 0 g/Carbohydrate: 160 g (Sugar: 37 g/dietary fiber: 2.9 g)/Salt: 0.14 g/Vitamin B1: 0.09 mg/Vitamin B2: 0.1 mg/Vitamin B6: 0.14 mg

・Mini Yokan(sweet bean jelly)

Nutrients per bottle (58 g)

Energy: 167 kcal/protein: 1.9 g/lipid: 0.01 g/carbohydrate: 39.7 g/salt: 0.1 g

・salt charge tablet(2.8g)

Energy: 10.3 kcal/protein: 0 g/lipid: 0.04 g/carbohydrate: 2.54g/dietary fiber:0 g/salt equivalent:0.108 g/Potassium:15.5 mg/citric acid equivalent:155 mg

Is it better for me to use expensive gel for racing during practice?

・Sports Drinks (Indoor/21oz bottle) Pocari Sweat Powder for 1L (74 g)

Nutrients per packet (74 g)

Energy 288 kcal, protein 0 g, lipid 0 g, carbohydrate 73 g, salt equivalent 1.32 g, potassium 214 mg, calcium 22 mg, magnesium 6 mg

Electrolyte concentration (At the specified solution volume)

Cation (mEq/L) Na + 21/K + 5/Ca2 + 1/Mg2 + 0.5

Anion (mEq/L) Cl -16/citrate 3 -1/lactate -10

・Sports Drinks (Outdoor/21oz bottle)Pocari Sweat Powder for 1L (74 g)+Maltodextrin (6 tablespoons)

Nutrients per 100 g

Water: 4.5 g/energy: 382 kcal/protein: 0 g/lipid: 0 g/carbohydrate: 95.5 g/salt: 0 g/sodium: 0 mg

Is it better for me to use expensive gel for racing during practice?

○ About right ankle pain

I hurt my right ankle by Bike (4-hour and 3-hour indoor roller) on Saturday and Sunday.

The same thing happened during the 180 km ride.

On Saturday, during the latter half of the 4 hour ride (During the sweating test), I felt a little discomfort in my right ankle.

On a 3 hour ride on Sunday, I felt the same discomfort when pedaling under a slight load (There was no pain.).

However, it was not so painful that I could not walk like the pain of the last 180 km ride, so I spent Monday as usual. (This day is a perfect rest day because I have to work from morning.)

This morning, when I started running for Run Cruise Intervals on the Tuesday menu, I stopped running because I felt something was wrong with my right ankle.

Today, only Swim Sprint 2 did the menu with a no-kick pull.

The discomfort of the ankle was under the lateral malleolus of the right foot on Sunday.

This morning it was under the medial malleolus of my right foot.

*It is the place where I pointed in the picture.

Apparently, after a long workout at Bike, the right ankle feels strange (pain).

Is there any solution?

When I do Bike training, is it better to fix the ankle with taping?

○About Sweat Test

○Supplemental food for training (Bike, Run)

○ About right ankle pain

What are your thoughts on these three points?

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - Thank you for the information. Based on your Sweat Test data, i suggests you plan on taking in 150g or fluids per hour. In case it is a hot day, you aim for 170g in Hour 1, then rest of time is at 150g. You need to get in 200mg of sodium per bottle (1 pocari sweat packet per bottle), the food is okay and so is the cheap gels. Use the expensive ones for your two Race Rehearsal rides in weeks 15 and 18 (race week is week 20). 

I am pleased with that hydration and think you will be okay. One question regarding food…do you take in any caffeine on the bike or run? I have found it to be helpful, but I also drink caffeine daily. Let me know.

Re your right foot, I think it might be your fit. If you look at your videos (you posted to me), you are flexing your ankle down at the bottom (more than 90 degrees)…in other words, you need to push down on your toes to keep contact with the pedal. If you look at this slow motion video of pros from Kona (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O11pyz6wvw) you’ll see that their foot is flat from 3-oclock to 6 oclock on the dial…they are pushing down with leg, not toes. I think you might need to move your cleat on your shoe backwards towards your arch. Can you please post a picture of your cycling shoe from the bottom?