Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Katsuyuki Kiya Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I would like to swim in wet clothes in the sea again in the week after next.

Thank you for adjusting the menu for me.

But I have a day to work on Monday, so it is difficult to take time for Swim. (If I can do it on another day, I will do it.)

I am planning to move to the training camp on Saturday morning and do a race simulation (Bike + Run).

I will stay at a training camp that night and run for 2 hours in the morning the next morning (Sunday).

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is Bike FTP... but last week it was so hard that it interfered with my work, so if I want to think about the second run, can I do level 1?

On Thursday we will have an ABP Ride in the morning and an interval at the evening running practice session, can I think of it as an alternative menu?

Katsuyuki Kiya ~K2ヾ(^v^)k~

• Options

Good, one more swim in the sea is great. Remember to keep your head down as you do in the pool when you aren't sighting..it will help keep your hips up!

Monday can be an OFF day, no need to swim.

I modified the Tuesday FTP for you at level 1 (yes) and you can run later in the day as needed.

Yes, Thursday is your choice...if you want, you can Swim Only on Wednesday, then do ABP On Thurs AM, Run On Thurs PM, then Friday Swim Long!!

So close!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

What a shame!

Coach P!

I just finished my morning workout!

I did Bike FTP at level 3 before I saw your reply.

But maybe because I got used to it a little bit (I might have unconsciously saved it for Brick Run.), it didn't feel as bad as last week.

After that, Brick Run was able to pick up the pace pleasantly in the second half.

Thursday will have a roller (ABP) in the morning and a run (interval) at night.

Friday is my Big Day.

Friday: 3.8 km Swim

Saturday: 60 km Bike + 180 ’ Run

Sunday: 2: 00 '00 Run

I'll do my best!

• Options

I can't wait for the update on the Big Weekend..Remember we want to finish each workout strong!!!! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

I was able to finish the race simulation for 3 days.

Swim, Bike, and Run all finished with plenty of time.

There was no pain or discomfort, and there was no trouble of replenishing during practice.

IM Korea is not hot and humid like Japan, but it is cool every year, so I can expect good time with Bike and Run.

I can't wait for the day of the race.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Yesterday, my colleague gave me acupuncture treatment.

Maybe because of the strong stimulus, I felt very tired since last night, and I couldn't get up even though I aimed this morning.

Today, I felt like taking a day off from work out, but since Race is close, I did a roller (Bike FTP).

The main menu was ready, but after that I had stinging pain in the buttocks and hamstrings, so I got off Bike.

I couldn't do a brick run, so I didn't run today.

May I make the menu from tomorrow easy?

• Options

K2, yes, you need to recover right now, but we want you to stay consistent with training starting soon (Thursday)?

Rules:

Most Important: 1 Extra hour of sleep per night. If not sleeping, one extra hour in bed!

#1 You can swim as much as you like.

#2 You can run at IM effort, but nothing faster (unless you do short 20 second strides).

#3 You can ride steady for long (like SAT) but IF you are going shorter (up to 1 hour) again this week, you can do a few short efforts Of 3 minutes at FTP with 2 minutes of recovery.

Can you please add your travel days to the Final Surge Calendar? Thanks!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to go back to the regular menu from tomorrow.

Sleep time is important.

I just saw your email this morning and I stopped running and lay down again. (I only have swim today.)

I want to run slowly regardless of TRP tomorrow.

I will add my travel schedule to FinalSurge.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2019 1:48PM

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

I slept 10 hours last night.

I'm not tired anymore.

Today I swam 3800 meters with the swim (Race Rehearsal).

I could swim at almost the same time as last week.

We are going to do bike long and brick run according to the menu tomorrow.

By the way, do you urinate while riding during the race (especially Bike)? It's embarrassing, but I don't have that experience yet.

• Options

I am so glad that you got 10 hours of sleep! That may be the most important thing you do in the next two weeks! Please try again after the longer training session. Yes, I P on the bike. Your goal is to Pee at least two times in the Iron Man bike. Typically around the two and four hour mark.

You need to make sure you are on a downhill so you can coast and not lose speed. I get out of the saddle gently and relax trying to Pee. Sometimes I need to squirt water on myself to get “motivated.“ Regardless, you will want to squirt water on yourself after you have Peed!

Peeing is really only possible if you do an excellent job of hydrating in your first hour on the bike. I strongly suggest you aim for two bottles of sports drink, approximately double what you plan on taking per hour. I know the race will not be that hot, but you will have lost fluid in the swim. 👍

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 10:55PM

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

The race will finally start this weekend.

3.8 km swim, 180 kmBike, 42 kmRun... I have no worries about the three events.

It is thanks to you that I can speak with confidence like this.

Thank you.

Do you have any advice for me about the race development?

I think as follows.

Swim (Forecast 1:15:00)

As I did in the race simulation, I found a person who was a little faster than me while swimming at a constant pace, and I swam diagonally behind him.

If you can't find it, swim the shortest possible course.

Bike (Forecast 5:30:00)

Slowly Ride for the first 1 hour (Or about 20 km.). (Just turn my legs.)

From there, it is pedaled with a constant intensity (NP 165 ~ 170 w).

In two and four hours, I'll try my first Ride Pee.

Run (Forecast 3:10:00)

run slowly for the first hour (or 10 km). After that, I run at a constant pace (TRP + about 15 seconds).

Total Time 9:59:00 (T1 & T2 inclusive)

How is it?

Let me know what you think.

Additional information (2019/09/18)

The weather forecast for the day of the race has been changed to rain.

I'm afraid it's raining all day.

Please tell me your thoughts and advice about the rain race.

• Options

I think that your forecast for each of segments of the race sounds good. I believe with your fitness that you do not need to wait a full hour of easy spinning, but that after 20 minutes you can begin to get to work.

The most important part of that bike course is not to work too hard on any specific hill but to find speed on the down hills so that you can be strong throughout the entire ride.

In terms of a wet race, my concerns shifted to the following. First, I’m concerned about you executing your nutrition strategy because when it’s cooler you will not feel the urge to drink. We still need to drink with focus, only perhaps not as much. But the first two hours of drinking are still really important.

Second it is keeping you warm on the bike because you are very mean and have low body fat. I would recommend putting covers on your shoes in transition, having arm warmers that you can roll up on your arms for the bike ( you can always move these up and down during the bike ride as needed to get warmer or stay cooler), and perhaps some gloves for your hands? How concerned are you about staying warm in those temperatures?

On a positive note, the lower temperatures do mean that you may be able to run faster but we still have to get the nutrition and the pacing right early on.

here is an article for you to consider: https://www.endurancenation.us/how-to/how-to-race-a-triathlon-in-the-rain/

Coach P

• Options

And just to be clear, the line in which you can pick up the intensity on the bike is when your heart rate drops down to where you would normally sit at the beginning of a long ride. If your heart rate on a long ride starts at 125 bpm, and ride easy until you hit 125 bpm, I’m going to talk.

Similarly speaking, we run the first 6 miles of the marathon with heart rate is well take a look at your bike average heart rate in the last hour and then your job is to maintain the heart rate for the first hour of the run.

During the first hour of the run is where you majority of your email as he will not be able to eat as much later in the day, although you will be able to drink many calories. Good luck!!

👍

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Thank you for your reply!

After riding Bike, 20 minutes later I pedal at the usual race pace.

Also, I try to climb up hills with a light gear (As you told me before).

When I go down the hill, I want to keep turning without stopping my legs.

Thank you for your advice about the rain race.

(I also read the link!)

Indeed, I tend to forget to supply when it is cool.

I will remember my practice and try to replenish regularly.

Indeed, I am extremely sensitive to cold.

(Even when I practice in the pool, I often tremble alone even though everyone else looks fine.)

I'm going to wear a pair of kerf guards as well as an arm carver, but I'm going to wear one under my wetsuit (Be worn in advance) to save time during a transition.

Instead, I will apply hot oil (Red series of Sports Balm, hot oil for surfing, etc.) to my stomach, back, arms and legs before I swim.

Also, after swimming up, I was going to wear a windbreaker vest and vinyl gloves.

I am thinking of wearing gloves according to your advice. I'm thinking of wearing plastic gloves on it.

I want to be careful about nutrition and pacing.

My heart rate is around 140 ~ 150 when I have stable Ride. For the first 10 km of the run, I want to drive carefully with my heartbeat.

Also, I will pay attention to replenishment in RUN

• Options

PERFECT I can't ask for more than that. My last piece of advice then is to NOT worry about your splits.

You have target times in mind, but you can only do your best in each leg. It might be that a 20' minute slower than you wanted bike time is actually very competitive. You won't know until you hit the finish line. So 100% to the finish no matter what! 👍

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Today, I tried out Bike course and Run course.

The Bike course was flat with few slopes and very easy to run.

Run is also a course running along the river, so it was a flat course with a good view.

However, there was an unfortunate news in today's briefing.

The typhoon seems to hit directly on the day of the competition, so the competition itself is in danger.

I heard that the details will be decided at the meeting at 12 o'clock tomorrow, but I heard that the following 3 plans have been proposed at this stage.

*first plan

8:10 (1 hour behind) Swim 3.8 km

Bike 180 km

Run 42.2 km

*second plan

8:40 (1 hour and 30 minutes behind) No Swim

Bike 90 km (One loop only)

Run 42.2 km

*third plan

cancellation of the race

Also, the use of the disc wheel was prohibited due to strong wind. (I have nothing to do with it.)

On the day of the tournament, the wind speed will be more than 20 meters per second.

There is a high possibility of the second plan so far.

Because the rain and wind get stronger on Sunday afternoon.

Even if Bike becomes 90 km by the 2nd plan, I think it will be the safety-first driving, so I don't think the pace will increase.

Rather, it will be a race after that (42 km).

Please let me know if you have any advice.

• Options

OMG never easy!!!!!! 😱 Ok, so if it's Plan #2, then you are basically warming up on the bike for 20 to 30' before racing.

You can go a little bit harder on the hills (5% to 10% harder) but the flats should be at regular IM watts.

Then we run as planned.

I hope you have the race and that you are safe!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 9:12AM

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

The management contacted me a while ago.

Tomorrow's race has been changed for the following.

Swim 1.5 KM (cut off: 1H 10 MIN)

Bike 58.8 KM (cut off: 3H 58 MIN)

Run 29.6 KM (cut off: 8H 36 MIN)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ironman-gurye-korea/important-announcement/1282054815299214/

I think there is no difference between Swim and Bike, so I think Run will become important.

Swimming is harder than usual.

Bike runs at the same race pace as usual on hills and on flat terrain.

Run holds the first five kilometers and then runs at the TRP pace.

Is that right?

※postscript

This is the latest information.

9/21 17 o'clock

Proposal 1 (As directed by the official)

Swim 1.5 km

Bike 58.8 km

Run 29.6 km

two plans

Swim 1.5 km

Run 29.6 km

three plans

Cancel Race

• Options

Coach P

It's very sad, but the race has been cancelled.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear athletes,

After consultation with key Government officials, stakeholders and safety agencies as we’ve closely monitored the worsening weather conditions from Typhoon Tapah over the past 48 hours, the decision has been made to cancel IRONMAN Gurye due to significant safety concerns for athletes, volunteers, spectators, and staff.

We strongly advise all participants and their family and friends to stay inside and follow any instructions given by the local government agencies.

While we are disappointed with this outcome, personal safety of all involved remains our highest priority and consideration. We will be sharing further details regarding this cancellation in the next 48 hours as it relates to other items, but again, we urge athletes and their families to focus on personal safety at this time.

For more information, please reach out to us via pm:m.me/IronmanGurye.

Yours sincerely,

Team IRONMAN Gurye and IRONMAN Asia

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya I saw that when I woke up this morning. I am so sorry to hear that! I know that training for IM and going to these races is a huge expense of time and money. Have you had any thoughts about what the next steps will be? Is there some other event or race that you want to partake in that’s more local to you?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Of course, I cannot give up at this rate.

But when I think about my work and the cost, it's hard to think about the next thing right away.

IM Gurye Korea will announce an alternative treatment soon, so I would like to consider joining if Malaysia and other countries offer free entry.

I will contact you if I find anything.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

I just received an email from the management.

Here's the full text:

Dear IRONMAN Gurye Korea Athletes

We thank you for your continued patience over the last few days as we have been working to provide you the best opportunity to complete your IRONMAN journey. 

We have two different options available to 2019 IRONMAN Gurye Korea athletes. Please review the information below regarding your race options for either 2019 OR 2020.

2019 Option:  IRONMAN Gurye Korea athletes are able to receive a free transfer into a select number of 2019 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events. Athletes can transfer into one of the following events free of charge:

• 2019 IRONMAN Louisville presented by North Sports Health – Sunday, October 13
    • 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Shanghai – Sunday, October 20
    • 2019 IRONMAN Malaysia – Saturday, October 26
    • 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Langkawi – Saturday, October 26
    • 2019 IRONMAN Florida – Saturday, November 2
    • 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Xiamen – Sunday, November 10
    • 2019 Mazda IRONMAN Cozumel – Sunday, November 24
    • 2019 IRONMAN Western Australia – Sunday, December 1
    • 2019 IRONMAN South American Championship, Mar del Plata – Sunday, December 1
    • 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta – Sunday, December 8

2020 Option: 

For those athletes not wanting to race in 2019, we are offering a 40% discount off of a 2020 IRONMAN Gurye Korea race entryThe 2020 race date is to be confirmed.

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon:

In addition, all athletes will receive a free Marathon entry into the 2019 Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, taking place on November 30, 2019. You will receive a free Marathon race entry link on Thursday 26th September. This must be redeemed by 22nd November, 2019.

2020 IRONMAN World Championship Slots:

Finally, all athletes who checked in at the 2019 IRONMAN Gurye Korea event will be entered into a drawing to receive one of thirty 2020 IRONMAN World Championship slots. Further details on the drawing process and timeline will be shared on Thursday 26th September.

Transfer Process:

Athletes will receive an email with a registration link on Thursday, September 26th to select the 2019 event of your choice OR to select a discounted entry into 2020 IRONMAN Gurye Korea. The registration link will be available from Thursday, September 26th - Monday, October 7th. Athletes must make their selection during this time. The 2019 races will be on a first-come first-served basis, with limited capacity so please make sure to complete your registration as soon as you receive your link to guarantee your race entry.

For any athlete who would like to race this coming weekend at IRONMAN Chattanooga or IRONMAN Maryland, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can send you your complimentary registration link. Please send the following information to IronmanAsia@ironman.com: 1. your full name, 2. email address and 3. which one of the two races you are interested in. We will process your request and send your registration link out as soon as possible.

Athletes with additional questions can reach out to IronmanAsia@ironman.com.

Thank you

IRONMAN Asia Team

I heard that many races held in 2019 will be treated for free.

Among them was IM Malaysia.

It is said that the procedure will be done after receiving the e-mail sent on the 26th, but it is on a first-come-first-served basis, so we have to decide quickly.

For my work (If I can take paid holidays), I think Malaysia is the best place to play while maintaining my current condition.

Which race do you think I should enter after reading this email?

• Options

I agree that Malaysia is best...make it happen and let me know and we will re-boot your training....for now the next most important session for you is a long EASY ride on this weekend. You don't even have to be in aerobars, but you need to be pedaling for 4 to 5 hours.

Standing by...

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 3:17AM

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

I received an email from IM Gurye yesterday.

The result of the lottery will be announced on 10/3 (Phone & Mail).

I entered IM Malaysia yesterday.

Regardless of the result of the slot lottery, I still want to get the quality of Kona by my ability.

There are only four weeks left, but I want to do my best to have the real show.

I haven't hard back from you so since yesterday I have been doing the menu of the IM Korea 4 weeks ago menu (Week 17).

Today I did the Red Mist (400 m * 10).

I don't know anything about the climate and course of IM Malaysia.

I am very worried.

I can't use a wet suit, so I'm thinking of buying a swim skin. I'll wear it over a tri-suit, so I'm going to buy a short-sleeved type.

Is there anything else I should prepare?

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya We have a discount code for ROKA...did you already buy it? If not, please go to our Partners & Sponsors page to get instructions on how to sign up.

We can deal with Malaysia Planning in time. I told you to get in that long ride, so the "do over" version oF your plan is okay. Just remember you might need to rest if the fatigue is acute, so don't hesitate to skip a Friday or Monday if needed so you can do the rest of the training.

You can read Ross Randolphs report here: Ross Randolph Ironman Langkawi 70.3 (Malaysia) Race Report

My understanding is that the race is very hot, so nutrition is critical on the bike and in the first six miles of the run.

Here is the data for the bike online: bestbikesplit.com/client/149375

Here is the power cheat sheet for you: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/sheets/149375

Do you know anyone who has done Malaysia?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Let me check first.

Am I supposed to finish the menu before IM Gurye (Week 20 – 17) until the day of the race?

So you mean I can ignore the current menu written on FinalSurge?

In other words, the roller on weekdays is Bike FTP, and the long ride on weekends. Swimming is Red Mist. Run is a weekend run (or Thursday) and a weekday Brick Run.

However, if possible, I would like you to make a menu for IM Malaysia again.

As I did not receive your reply, I consulted @ Akio Yamauchi who has participated in IM Malaysia many times.

His advice is to use high-strength rollers (E.g. 6 * 60 ” (6 ’) FTP 150%, Zwift Full Speed Race, etc.) on weekdays.

Above all, take measures against heat (like moving around in a sauna,).

he told me.

Don't I need to do such a thing?

About the swimskin,

My friend lent me 2 (Roka and Huub).

I tried swimming wearing both of them in the pool today. (Menu is Red Mist)

The result is:

Swim self-kneading (Main: 10 x 400 mDes) 1: 24 ’ 47 ” 4200 m 46 Swolf

*2250 m 47 ’ 00 ” 2: 04/100 m HUUB

*1850 m 16 ’ 10 ” 1: 56/100 m ROKA

*200 m 04 ’ 06 ” 2: 03/100m Tri-Suit only

Looking at this data, I thought Roka was better.

Huub's fabric is a bit hard, but it helped me maintain my posture. It was like holding a buoy in my leg.

Roka was softer and easier to move than Huub. (There is some slack.)

By the way, I checked the current power curve with WKO4.

The first one is June 30.

The second one is for today.

Regarding Bike data on IM Malaysia that you showed me, I am honestly surprised. I'm not confident that I can run with such high numbers.

In practice, pedaling a long ride (180 km) at around NP 165 W is the last line I can't slow down, and going over NP 170 W causes fatigue in the second half of the leg and slows down.

Will I be able to maintain such a high figure?

Did you increase the number of the power data than IM Korea because you checked WKO4?

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya thank you for writing back. I don't want you to ignore the menu there, but I wanted to make sure you saw what I said right after IM Korea was cancelled (as you I didn't see a reply) but no worries.

I have updated the Final Surge menu for you. If you are only doing 1 weekend ride, then yes do Akio's plan during the week on Tue/Thu and move the Thu long run to SUN. But I think a run focus now is really important as your run is what is going to make your race. Smart pacing and fueling will be critical!

Definitely go with the Roka suit, it is faster and more comfortable.

On best bike split, I was using your OLD ftp number, now I have adjusted to using your mFTP (currently measured) in WKO4 which is 226. If you are comfortable at 165w, that is 73% of that estimated mFTP which makes sense. I have updated things for you now.

On race day your bike needs to be really steady so you can do your 3:30 run, which is where the magic will happen. Ask Akio-san, you can't get discouraged coming off of the bike, just do your run and the others will start coming back to you!

Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

I apologize for confusing you. Please excuse my lack of explanation.

It's difficult to explain in English.

I’m not able to express what I want to say in English. 

I really trust you as a Coach!

Thank you for editing FinalSurge for me!

But two weeks ago in IM Korea, there was a Bike race simulation on the weekend, so I don't have to do it this week?

It is true that I will be busy this Saturday.

180 km ride + 30 min Brick Run

I was thinking about it.

But in your opinion, now that I value Run, do you mean that even if I reduce the distance of Bike, I will secure the time for Run...?

I had a big workout last weekend, so I'm going to do a roller on a slightly easy menu tomorrow.

Thank you for telling me the power of the bicycle and the expected running time.

My prediction for the race is...

Swim 1:20:00

Bike 5:30:00

Run 3:20:00

Total Time 10:15:00 (T1 & T2 Included)

in the status bar.

*In 2017, there were 6 qualifiers of 45 -49, and the 6th player was 10:15:12

Anyway, I want to beat Bike and make sure I can be in the 6th in my age range on Run.

• Options

We are on the same page of the same book @Katsuyuki Kiya - you just did a large weekend you do not need to do it again.

you have had a long slow so we need to begin the taper a little earlier. Next week is still 85 miles with a good run, which should be sufficient. I want you working but I don’t want you too tired!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach P

Your picture in Kona is very smiling.

I wish you good luck and good results.

On Friday, I swam 3.8 kilometers in a swim race simulation.

Wearing a swimskin over a triathlon suit, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of time I could get with this.

However,

For the first time I thought something was wrong with swimming.

I have difficulty moving my shoulders and my breathing has increased.

I usually use 3800 mTT with a pull buoy, but I thought it was because I didn't use the pull buoy and took a kick a little today.

I didn't care much last time, but I didn't think it would be so difficult to move my arms.

The time was obviously late.

Until now, I could swim at least 55 meters in 2900 ~ 2950 minutes.

I could only swim 2800 meters today.

The result...

1: 16 ’ 10 ” (2: 00/100m) 3800 m

For more information...

*2800 m 55 ’ 00 ” 1: 58/100 m

*1000 m 21 ’ 30 ” 2: 06/100 m

Surprisingly, it's obviously faster to just wear a swimsuit!

And the feeling of fatigue after coming out of the water remained.

Next week, I'll wear a tri-suit, but I'll roll up my upper body and tighten it in my swimskin, and I'll try swimming only with the effect of my swimskin.