Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Katsuyuki Kiya Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach, good evening!

I received official notice from IM Gurye office yesterday about the postponement of the tournament.

I am very sorry, but I think it will be difficult to hold the tournament as long as the global pandemic is not resolved.

To be honest, I'm a little relieved.

Because my performance has dropped significantly since last year.

Results of a recent test

Swim 1000 mTT 20: 00 (July 6, 2020)

Bike 20 min FTP Test 20 ’ 20 ” AV 236 W 88 rpm APWR 4.07 175/185 bpm (July 7, 2020)

Run 5 kmTT 21: 02 (July 8, 2020)

Results of the 2019 test

Swim Swim Race Rehearsal (Continuous Swim for 3800 m) 1: 11 ’ 39 ” (1: 53/100 m) (September 13, 2019)

Bike 20 min FTP Test 20 ’ 02 AVP 262 W 103 rpm APWR 4.46 182/190 bpm (February 5, 2019)

Run 5 kmTT 18: 48 (June 27, 2019)

I'm worried that I won't be able to finish the race if it goes on like this.

If I'm thinking of racing instead of IM Gurye, IM Malaysia, which I joined last year, would be a candidate.

Coach!

With my current ability, is it reckless to consider joining IM Malaysia?

(Most of all, IM Malaysia has not started the entry yet and it is doubtful that it will be held.)

Either way,

My current training is tailored to IM Gurye on September 6.

Should I continue the training menu?

Or should we change the menu for IM Malaysia on October 24?

Let me know what you think.

Katsuyuki Kiya ~K2ヾ(^v^)k~

P.S.

I'm new to VMO. It seems that it was a famous word for knee trouble. I wanted to take good care of my knee area.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya -

Thank you for the update and Iron Man Korea. I think you have been under a great deal of stress the season, more so than ever before due to this pandemic. I agree that Malaysia will unlikely happen. But that doesn't mean we just walk away from our training. Instead, I think it's probably a good idea for us to reset you a little bit and prepare you for the second half of the year.

It's clear that adding more work on top of where you already are is not going to be helpful. What I'm suggesting is just a few weeks of a lighter training program to help you reset. This should hopefully allow you to even get some more sleep, which will combine with some lower intensity to help you recover faster. Ideally by the end of these few weeks you will be re-energized and ready to get back To work.

I have loaded a four week plan into your account starting on July 20. I did not touch this week, but you can modify it on your own by sticking to one session a day and keeping the weekend ride easy. Let me know if you need help with that.

I think he will need the full four weeks to recover, but I want to set the block out there so we can discuss. It's possible just to leave so be sufficient. Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! Good evening!

Thank you for setting up a new menu for me!

Certainly, my body may be tired.

I think I need an adjustment menu for a while too.

Next Saturday (Saturday, July 25), Kona Challenge is planning to measure at the most advanced sports facility in Tokyo.

Bike

'Endure Life'

http://endurelife.co.jp/

20 minute FTP measurements

Swim

'AQUALAB'

http://aqua-lab.co.jp/

swim for 20 minutes in a water pool

Run

'RUNNING SCIENCE LAB'

https://rslab.tokyo/

measurement of running VO2max

physical

'R-body'

https://r-body.com/center/otemachi/

range of motion check

It's far from Kamakura to Tokyo and I can't take many holidays, so I'll do all the tests in a day.

So I may be very tired next weekend.

I will inform you about the results of the above 4 facilities.

As I wrote in Final Surge, I had a stabbing pain in my right thigh (Probably the rectus femoris muscle) at Long Run on Thursday, and I stopped several times to stretch and finished the run.

But the second run in the afternoon didn't hurt, and the next run didn't hurt either.

My first week has passed since I started working at my new job.

I have to work from morning to night, so it is difficult to secure the training time.

I go to work at 8 AM and come home at 7 o'clock in the evening.

So right now, the training is

The best I can do is get up at 3:30 (or 4 o'clock) and have a little less than two hours of training.

I work from 8 AM to 7 PM until the end of August (until the birth of a child), but from September, I work from 8 AM to 10 PM.

I think I will probably only be able to train for about an hour early in the morning.

It seems there are 2 days off, but I think Friday and Saturday will be closed from August.

It's only been a week since I started working, so I don't know much about my work, but I think it's also an issue how to secure training time from now on.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya thank you for the update. I am pleased that you enjoy your new home. And that your new neighborhood is also beautiful. If you have limited time during the week, then for the short term we need to adjust the training plan down words. This is hard for most athletes to do mentally, but striking a balance between work and training is very important. We can always "force" more training into your schedule a critical times of the year. But this isn't one of them.

I am very excited to learn more about your testing results. Please make sure that you pack protein that you can eat after every test. Ideally you have at least an hour between tests for your body to process food and recover. You should also consider some sports drink as well. If you have one hour or less between tests, the proteins should be small and ideally liquid. Perhaps just 8 ounces. If you have more than an hour you can eat a protein bar and drink some sports drink.

Be smart and give 100%! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020 9:25AM

@Coach Patrick

Hello, Coach.

I looked back at the measurements we made at the four Kona Challenge partners on Saturday, July 25.

Bike Measurement (Endure Life)

Bike: FTP Test 20 ’ 00 ” AV 270 W NP 269 91 rpm 145/176 bpm

・Internal rotation of right hip (From behind the video)

・Form breaks late in FTP testing

→ The upper body (upper body) is raised, and the base bar is lower than the range of motion of the hip joint.

→ Raise the base bar and raise the aero bar.

→Physical improvement (Range of motion of the scapula and thorax)

→I can see you sit back on the saddle several times.

→You may not have enough muscle strength (trunk) to push your body into the saddle.

*20 minutes peak power renewal! ... I thought so, but my weight had increased ... from 58 kg to 62 kg.

262 ÷ 58 = 4.52 w/kg 270 ÷ 62 = 4.35 w/kg

In fact, it's falling ... (T-T)

Swim Measurement (AQUALAB)

Swim: Pull 20 ’ 00 ” AV 1.4?

・The left side of the water is straight, but the right side of the water is too wide, so the force is escaping → It feels like the right side of the water is straight and you get on the water smoothly.

・After entering the water, the body swings widely from side to side → the body moves too much in vain (waste of energy)

→Extending the range of motion of the scapula and thorax. - Because the movement of the scapula is bad, the body moves in vain to compensate for the result.

・When you get tired, take a right breath and when you put your body back, move it to the left. (My head is spinning too much.) → swim while looking straight at the line on the bottom of the pool.

・(I thought you didn't like it.) The form of the left breathing is not bad, so I will practice the left breathing in the future.

・the arm that is returned for recovery rotates too much outward so that it returns to a more compact position (like a finger touch) and enters the water

Run measurement (RUNNING SCIENCE LAB)

RUN: Vo2Max 50.8 ml/kg/min AT value 163 bpm AT value running speed 5 '11 "1 km/h

・The breathlessness of the measurement mask and the harness (Fall prevention?) on my back like a backpack were too tight to swing my arms.

・5 min Jog pace on treadmill (1 minute interval), 5 min IM/full marathon pace (4: 30/km), 3 min? VO2max measurement after 5 minutes rest

・5 minutes at Jpg pace (5: 00/km)

→It feels so fast. If I had been showing off, I would have been in big trouble. I'm out of breath.

・5 minutes at IM/full marathon pace (4: 30/km)

→No, I can't do a full set with this .... I felt five minutes was too long.

After rest, VO2max. 30 seconds from walking? Pace up every time. You can't go all out! Then he raises his hand. That's where the force stops.

The pace gradually increased, and I think the pace that I felt earlier would have been 4: 30/km was exceeded, but once I got used to it, it seems to be able to endure unexpectedly. I felt that it was about 3 minutes and a half ... and I came close to the limit, so I tried again. Pretty good, just stick to your pace! I thought ... but the actual maximum speed was 3: 30/km.

・Feedback indicated that the running form was moved below the knee as the pace increased. It is said that more movement from the hip joint is necessary.

・It is said that a longer high-intensity interval (Around 2 km) is necessary to improve VO2max.

・I don't think there is much difference between VO2max and AT speed. In fact, Jog is only 5 minutes in a kilo when in bad condition. In a way, let's say it's good because we now know the ability of the bottom run. I am relieved that the quadriceps pain that I was worried about did not come out.

Physical measures (R-body SOAP): 4/13 thoracic rotation, ankle dorsiflexion, hip extension, and hip external rotation

Last (March 2020) Total Score 3/13

Thoracic extension and shoulder flexion ×

Thoracic extension and shoulder external rotation ×

Shoulder joint internal rotation ○

Cervical flexion ×

Extension of cervical vertebra ×

Cervical rotation ×

Thoracic rotation ×

Ankle dorsiflexion ○

Hip extension ○

hip flexion ×

Hip internal rotation ×

Hip external rotation ×

Lumbar vertebrae and scapulothoracic joints ×

This time (July 25, 2020) Total Score 4/13

Thoracic extension and shoulder flexion ×

Thoracic extension and shoulder external rotation ×

Shoulder internal rotation ×

Cervical flexion ×

Extension of cervical vertebra ×

Cervical rotation ×

Thoracic Rotation

Ankle dorsiflexion ○

Hip extension ○

hip flexion ×

Hip internal rotation ×

Hip external rotation ○

Lumbar vertebrae and scapulothoracic joints ×

The item that passed last time (internal rotation of shoulder joint) became NG, and another item (thoracic and hip external rotation) passed instead ... Total 4 points plus 1 point.

Last time, I still had the pain of falling from a car (right shoulder), but this time, my physical condition was only quadriceps pain at the time of the run, and nothing special.

A total of 13 tests. Once a week (Monday's active rest), I do the stretch and exercise that R-Body taught me last time, but how did that affect this test?

In particular, thoracic vertebrae rotation was mentioned in the plastic surgery I used to go to before, so I think this is the result of taking into account the fact that the improvement drill is included in the weekly R-body exercise and the pre-run up.

Similarly, I think external hip rotation is a result of taking in exercises around the hip.

Talking with my trainer, I thought about how to deal with three types of movements with my current physical strength.

Swim

・Improved scapular movement

・allow the rib cage to separate and move

Bike

・Improves hip movement (And the ROM.)

Run

・Improves hip movement (ROM)

With that in mind, you'll be able to create an exercise menu by the next time.

P.S.

I'm beginning to understand the work system of my job.

August (for a month):

Work holidays are Friday and Saturday (five-day workweek)

Working hours are from 9 o'clock to 18 o'clock (Work at 8 o'clock, get home at 19 o'clock)

Training time is around 2 hours early in the morning (Get up at 4:30 after 6 hours of sleep.).

From September,

Friday and Saturday (five-day workweek) are the same as before.

Working hours will be extended from 9 o'clock to 21 o'clock (Probably work at 8 o'clock, come home at 22 o'clock)

Training time is around 1 hour early in the morning (I want to get six hours of sleep.).

My wife's due date is August 31. When a child is born, the environment will change greatly.

However, I would like to do my best in training for IM Korea (Probably held in September 2021) which is postponed to next year.

Coach!

What kind of menu should I do after Monday, August 17?

I would like to improve my performance over the next year so that I can obtain the Kona quality.

My current race pace is:

Swim2: 00/100m

Bike NPAV 160 ~ 170 w (180 km)

Run 4: 45 ~ 5: 00/km

I think so.

I think it's probably the worst performance in years.

I will train with the intention of starting from scratch under your guidance.

I look forward to adapting your menu to Final Surge.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya This will take me some time to process...thank you for sharing.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I gave you too much information at once.

I'm sorry.

Please take the time to process my data (Including video) and refer to my Final Surge menu in the future (After July 17).

By the way, as for my new job which I started to move to Kamakura, I resigned for some reason. I mean, I'm unemployed now.

I'm looking for a job now.

So, the training time and the days off from work are not yet decided.

It will probably be during the daytime working hours (9 AM to 6 PM), so the training time will be early in the morning.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 2:08PM

Ok, time to think about your 2021 season. 

I want to start with your work focus first, as this is the biggest "impact" on your training. I think it’s best if we plan on a schedule where you have one quality session per day (AM) and then an evening strength / flexibility / durability session. This early in the year we don’t need to start stacking up the volume for you.  

Keeping that 6 hours of sleep is super important. Yes, this will change at the end of August, but having a good system in place will help. It will be sometime or you will only be able to train minimum hours, but as long as we stay focused on your goal it will be OK. September 2021 is a long way away! God willing your child will be 1 year old by then!!

Phase One: August 2020 to December 2021

Here we focus on strength, flexibility, and run durability. Our goal is to get you run strong and overall healthy. 

Phase Two: November to February 2021

Here is the OutSeason®, where we will combine bike and run intensity to get your high fitness levels back on track. 

Phase Three: February to March 2021

Here is the Swim Recovery Phase, as well as moving outdoors. Maybe 1 to 2 longer rides if possible. 

Phase Four: March to April 2021

Here is the Run Focus Phase, where we build a sustainable tempo run you can carry through the rest of the year. 

Phase Five: May to June 2021

This is a key volume phase. We will push the bike numbers up here on the weekends and with a tough weekly schedule of work. 

Phase Five: July to Sept 2021

This is the race preparation phase to IM Korea, 12 weeks per the usual menu. 

Starting August 18th this is my plan for you: 

• On 8/18/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  9/14/2020  27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 9/15/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/12/2020 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 10/13/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/9/2020  27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  2/7/2021  97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 2/8/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  2/21/2021 14 [ 2 weeks ]
    • On 2/22/2021  Load the    Run Focus Block to end on  04/03/21 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 4/04/2021  Load the  -- EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on  05/01/21 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • 05/02/2021 Load the    Bike Focus Block to end on  06/12/21 [  6  weeks  ]
    • 06/13/21 - Take a Rest Week, prepare for Final IM Push
    • On 6/21/2021  Load the  -- EN Full Minimalist, 12wks  to end on  9/12/2021  83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 9/13/2021  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/10/2021 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 10/11/2021 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/7/2021  27 [  4  weeks  ]

Can you give me some thoughts on what you can do at home (or gym) with strength and flexibilty training?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach!

Good evening!

Thank you for making a plan for next year for me.

I think we can secure time for the morning training session, but it may be difficult in the evening. (I think it is possible to do muscle strength/flexibility training in the evening.)

I want to get at least 6 hours of sleep.

My wife is 37 weeks pregnant, so it's no wonder when a baby is born.

I think my life will change drastically, but I will focus on my dream (Kona) and work on my training while taking care of my family.

I have one question.

◇On 2/8/2021 Load the Swim Camp to end on 3/14/2021 34 [5 weeks]

It says 5 weeks Swim Camp, but the Final Surge training plan only had 2 weeks Swim Camp. What should I do for the remaining 3 weeks?

The rest is your question.

"Can you give me some things on what you can do at home (or gym) with strength and flexibilty training?"

As for,

Currently, it is difficult to go to the gym because of COVID -19.

So I'm going to do the exercise (Flexibility/Strength Training) that I learned from R-body on my blog (or Facebook) at home.

What do you think?

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya Thank you for sharing that great picture! I hope your wife and soon-to-be baby are safe and healthy. Please keep us posted on Facebook!

I have fixed your plan and updated it ^above^ ; thank you for catching my mistake. Your attention to detail is excellent.

Your plan to do strength at home is excellent. The easier it is for you to make happen, the more likely you are to do it. This is a win. This is a great start to your year for consolidation and overall health. Plus it makes room for the new baby!

Maybe you can use the down time to plan some fun cycling activities?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! Hello.

Yesterday, there was a Kona Challenge meetup, and I wore an EN T-shirt. (Zoom Meeting)

I really appreciate your quick response to revise the training plan.

On 10/13/2020 Load the -- Durability for Trihighlights 3 (7months out) - -4 weeks to end on 11/9/2020 27 [4 weeks]

** Transition Early * *

On 11/2/2020 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14 wks to end on 2/7/2021 97 [14 weeks]

Does this mean that I should continue my Durability for Triahletes3 plan until the third week and then start my OutSeason (Bike Focus) plan from the first week?

You can also use the

06/13/21 - Take a Rest Week, prepare for Final IM Push

This week, you mean that I will make a menu that prioritizes fatigue recovery in the easy menu, right?

My wife will be 38 weeks old this week. The due date is the end of next week, but I'm prepared to be hospitalized anytime.

Since my wife is having a baby at an old age, giving birth is dangerous, so I'm thinking of posting a joy post on SNS when I give birth safely and both mother and child are healthy.

(Only a few people, such as relatives, know about my wife's pregnancy.)

HEY ... THE CYCLING ACTIVITIES YOU TOLD ME ... I ...

So,

I will do this workout with my baby!

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya thank you once again for representing the team. Yes, you should absolutely post the “joy“ post… Not very often you get to do it. And it truly is an amazing thing.

The two training plan questions you have or right on. In RDP3, yes you would exit one week early to start the old season program. That’s perfect. In terms of that transition week, yes, I want to make sure that we make better use of a “break” during the season to give you appropriate time to rest.

In our time working together, I have learned that you are mentally capable of long sustained quality training. Of work. But your body still needs time to recover. In addition to building in a week like this for recovery, I am hopeful that your new “family schedule” will force you to rest a little more. I am confident he will see even bigger gains.

ps love the workout!! 😂

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! Good evening.

I got a new job!

However, my income is not stable because I'm a part-time worker, not an employee, but I don't think my wife and child will be in trouble.

It will be a one-week schedule like this table.

On weekdays, I do part-time elementary school staff from morning to afternoon or visit acupuncture and moxibustion massage from morning to evening.

On Saturday, I will have a visiting acupuncture and moxibustion massage from morning to evening.

On regular and Saturday nights, if the patient wishes, I will personally perform a home visit acupuncture and moxibustion massage.

Sunday is my only free day, but I'm thinking of working in the afternoon for my baby.

The baby is due tomorrow (Monday, August 31), but my wife is not in labor so far, and I believe we can meet our beloved baby sometime next week.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - I am not on Facebook right now, but I want to know about the updates. Is there a new mini-K2 in the house?!!?? 🙏

Thank you for sending over your schedule. I am a very visual person, so it's great for me to be able to see it. I think that you have adequate training time in your schedule. Especially with the longer day on Sunday as needed. The key now will be to maximize your time.

Example, instead of swimming in the morning and biking at night, we will have to combine workouts into a single block. This would mean course strength exercises first, followed by a bike ride, followed by a short break run. As an example.

Right now I know that the durability plan fits your schedule. We don't know what things will bring when the baby arrives, and you should prioritize time there especially early on. I am sure your wife would appreciate a helping hand!

I think we can set some short term, monthly goals for you. Do you have any ideas? Examples:

• Total # of runs
    • Do all routes on Zwift world "X"
    • # of pushups? or a circuit of exercises?

Is there a "Streak" you might be interested in?

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 6:20AM

@Coach Patrick

COACH!!

Listen to me! We're having a baby!

It is Big Boy of 3652 grams at midnight on September 6!

*It's the day of IM Korea! I'm glad the race was canceled.

The name is 鼓名(The reading kana is Kona.). The meaning of the Kanji of 鼓名 name is the name that cheers people up a lot. My son was proud of his name, and when he called someone's name, I meant to cheer him up ....

And someday, I would like to go to Kona, which is also the stage of my dream, with my son Kona and my wife.

Having a son, I have to work more and more for my family.

However, my son, my wife and I won the Kona Qualification and my desire to go to Kona became stronger.

The training time is only early in the morning, so as you say, triple? Brick training is a great idea.

Because I can only train for a short time, I want to use that time effectively and concentrate on my training.

I haven't set a specific monthly goal, but ...

If I had to say, Run is doing really well right now.

I think the reason is that I do it for 30 minutes on my bike (indoor roller) on the up and I'm conscious of Run's movements on my strength and conditioning.

So, in the future,

I am thinking of adopting the flow of Wup roller (indoor roller) + Run Skill/Short interval + Strength ....

I can't think of a "Streak", but ...

I WONDER IF I CAN TRAIN WITH THE BABY ...

I would like to try the training that we can do together so that the baby will be happy!

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - CONGRATULATIONS my friend! Everyone is so happy...that is amazing. And by midnight...so he made the "cut-off" on time just like a good Ironman racer! 🤣

There is so much for you to learn and do...so the training consistency (as you can) is key. If your focus is divided now, it is 80/20 as in 80 --> Baby + Wife, 20 --> Training, Work, etc.

I think your "mindfulness" to running is perfect. And to be honest, you have been doing such good and hard training that I think you will really benefit from the more aerobic work.

How are you doing?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach!

I was worried about you because there was no reply for a while. You must have been busy.

As I wrote on Facebook, I have three jobs (Part-time visiting massage twice a week, part-time lecturer at elementary school 4 days a week, guidance of health class in the afternoon and treatment for patients) starting this week, and I am so busy I could die!

Wake up at 3 AM, finish the training by 7 o'clock and go to work. All work finishes at 20 o'clock. After that, I go to my wife's parents (a few kilometers from home), give my son a bath, and treat my wife (My wife's body after giving birth is very tired.). I always come home after 22 o'clock, and I sleep in bed as if I were dead.

Maybe if I get used to my work, I can live more efficiently.

And when I see my son Kona's face, my tiredness goes away!

Japan is getting a little cooler and less humid, so Run is very comfortable.

I was able to train without any pain this week.

As you said, I will think and act because I think I will fall down if I don't distribute my power more well.

I am completely exhausted, but I am very happy because of my wife and son.

Next year I definitely want to get the Kona Qualification and go to Kona with my family of 3!

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya I'm sorry the reply took so long to send to you. I had actually written it and posted it, but I never clicked send. I have no excuses because I am nowhere near as tired as you are, I simply made a mistake. While I am concerned about how challenging your life is, I know that you will listen to your body and if you need to rest you will.

Your big race day is still sometime away, and building to that point will take both patience and discipline. There will be days to work and days to rest...as hard as that is, resting might be required at some points to you stay healthy overall.

Can you do 3 days on, 1 day rest, for example?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach!

I know you're thinking about me.

I am always grateful to you.

In this pandemic situation, almost all the races were gone and I was on the verge of losing my goal.

Your advice is my greatest motivation.

I am grateful to you.

As you said, there is still time until the race, so I will try not to push myself.

But early morning exercise feels so good and it's a good start to the day.

As my new job, I am holding (simple exercise) a health class for local residents. The voices and reactions of the participants are very helpful to me.

I also enjoy the work of the school teacher very much.

When I told my children about my triathlon, they were very interested.

It's exciting to think that there is a future triathlete among them.

If I move my body during the day, it doesn't bother me much, but when I work in a sitting position, I suddenly feel sleepy.

I'm sure I'm tired.

I will be very careful not to ignore the voice from the inside of the body and to get injured.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - patience is not easy to exercise....because it is not "exercise". Yet these two things are very closely linked. Consistency in the time of uncertainty not only keeps us healthy and sane, but prepares us for when we do return to our regular lives.

You are in an excellent place with your consistency right now...we make you into a training "bot". This way when the work begins to build up, you will be very strong and prepared to handle it!

~ Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! Good evening.

I was very busy (Work, childcare, and training), but I finally got used to this environment.

The other day, I had a class introducing triathlon at the elementary school where I work.

The children listened to me with great interest.

In elementary school, my children started to call me "Dr. Triathlon.".

There is a lot of rain in Japan this week due to the typhoon, so the menu for the second half of the week has changed a lot.

Since I couldn't run outside, I had a high-load practice on my bike (Zwift Race, Cruise & Crush Ride) for the first time in a while. It's been a long time, so I really enjoyed it. It is very painful during the workout, but the feeling of exhilaration after the high-load training is exceptional!

I feel that I have gradually regained my sense of running. The pace hasn't improved so much yet, but I'm happy that I can practice running every day without worrying about injury.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to swim well.

I haven't been able to swim in the last two weeks because I don't have time to go to the ocean swim or the pool during the day .... I'm a little worried, but I think I'll focus on the run now.

Next week, Phase 3 of the Durability for Triahlets menu will begin.

I want to focus on the run and finish the menu without injury.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya -- thank you for sending along the family pictures! I love how are you are twins. 🤣 moving to the training, i am pleased you were able to load the bike up and participate this week...That might be something you want to consider once a month: a week or you focus on the bike a little more.

That said, your run fitness is really solid. The consistency is what really matters so I am pleased that you have found a good rhythm there. The speed will follow.

Moving towards the swim, I would not be concerned. Like the tides, your swim time will be high and low (out of your control) so we do our best when things are in our favor...if not, then you can (maybe?) rest a bit?

~ Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! Hello.

I'm busy with work and childcare, but I'm getting used to it little by little.

I was able to finish my Run workout comfortably without any pain or discomfort.

In recent years, Garmin (Forerunner 945) has been getting a “rest ” sign before starting a workout, but I don't feel too tired.

I will go to Tokyo this week and get measured at a special facility.

・Swimming: Swimming in a running pool for 20 minutes

・Bike: FTP test

・Run: VO2max test

・Physical: ROM Check and Exercise

Previously on (August) ...

・Swim: Pull 20 ’ 00 AV 1.4?

・Bike: FTP Test 20 ’ 00 ” AV 270 W NP 269 91 rpm 145/176 bpm

・RUN: Vo2 Max 50.8 ml/kg/min AT value 163 bpm AT value Running speed 5 ’ 11 ” 1 km/h

I will let you know the result.

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya Dont worry about the garmin...I think it's capturing training stress and sleep hours and telling you to recover. (1) you are "used to it" but hopefully we can factor in some extra rest and (2) the algorithm doesn't account for machines like you! 🤖🏊🚴🏃

Please tell us more about the testing and facility as you go, I am sure there are athletes like you who would like to take advantage of this. I am happy to post your "story" on our Blog: www.endurancenation.us/blog if you provide some pictures and information so others can take advantage.

Re the bike test...it has been a while since you have done that type of work. This could be good or bad...but it will be mentally tough as you have been away from that work. Break the ride up into chunks (I like 8' / 4' / 8' but even 4 x 5' works...just get through each bit. Don't be afraid to change cadence as needed....and don't think about the outcome until the end of your 20 minutes! 💪

ps - thank you for the sleeping picture...so cute!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Coach! News flash!!

FTP updated!

FTP 252 W (↑ 3%)

*Why is Garmin's (Forerunner 945) 258 W?!

Power Weight Ratio 4.75 w/kg (↑ 7%)

To be honest, the last 3 months have been mainly run menu, so I didn't expect anything ... I just wish I could understand my current ability ...

(Weekly ABP ride (30 ’ × 2 + 20 ’ @ Zone 3) only)

After uploading, follow your advice.

Use a bit less than 280 w for the first 8 minutes.

I'll pass it around if it's sold out in eight minutes.

Reward water after 8 minutes

Take a break a little and put it back to around 280 w and hold it for 4 minutes.

8 MINUTES LEFT ... I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE I COULD TURN IT TO THE VERY END.

Divide it into 4 minutes and 4 minutes and stick it in each section.

Water after 4 minutes

I was already dizzy at this point.

I said, "Only 240 seconds."

turn one's head around

The result is

22 ’ 00 ” AV 280 W 84 rpm APWR 4.75 178/190 bpm

Last year I tried so hard on my bike that I almost fainted.

20 minutes, instead of getting a new peak power, it was getting worse and worse.

Now, renewal means ...

given several factors

・be not tired

・Measurement time is in the evening (When you measure yourself, it's early in the morning,).

・Someone is watching (This is a big difference!)

・Effects of 3 months of collective exercise (corrective exercise) and core exercises?

and so on.

IT'S NOT A NUMBER THAT ... WILL BE HAPPY WITH.

Due to the influence of COVID 19, I lost my job and I have not been able to take a long ride (especially in real running) since I moved.

In TP data, the peak power at 20 minutes is certainly higher than last year, but the average power at 60 minutes or 90 minutes is lower (We don't have the data.).

No matter how good FTP is,

It's meaningless if you can't do the proper pacing in the ride of more than 5 hours necessary for IM bike.

After two weeks, we'll move to a longer bike enhancement menu.

We have to do a workout firmly tied to the lace and pave the way to Kona.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

AquaLab @ Daikanyama, swam back (o ゚ ▽ ゚) o

Kona Challenge member's annual measurement every three months

20 Minute Swimming in an Indoor Swimming Pool

First of all, the results ...

About 1.4? (THE SPEED OF THE WATER ...)

By the way, the past results

April 1.4

July 1.4

Also in October ... 1.4

I haven't made progress ~

Yes ... the numbers are honest.

But,

(compared to last time) The good news is,

・sped up into the second half (It was sticky.)

・the habit of dropping elbows had been corrected (Just a little.)

・In the second half, the rhythm was not so different, although it tended to be more plump.

etc.

LAST TIME, I WAS SO EMBARRASSED THAT I COULDN'T WATCH MY OWN SWIMMING, BUT NOW IT LOOKS A LITTLE LIKE A TRIATREL ...

And the coach said, "Follow me."

"1.4 is 100 meters at 1: 48 pace, so if you can swim like this, it will be less than 1 hour and 10 minutes."

Tonokoto

Certainly ... My best time is 1 hour and 6 minutes (2015 IM Japan), and if I can swim 3.8 km at this pace, such a time would be possible ...

Some advice for improvement from coaches

・with the image of kicking in front of the body

->If it's a kick now, the more you hit, the sinking of your body = Slow

・You can practice pushing a lump of water with a dry land.

->With the image of wrapping the balance ball with a high elbow and pushing it backward.

・When you pull a tube with one hand, you also insert a rolling to twist the rib cage.

・increase swimming frequency

->at least twice a week

He said ...

Let's incorporate what you can do in the dry land right away.

As for kicks, Korea did not practice kicks at all last year because it was wet.

... so in Malaysia where the race was cancelled due to the typhoon and the substitute race was held , if it was a non-wet race , they would have practiced kicking in a hurry ... σ (^ ◇ ^;)

Ever since then, I've tried to practice without using a pull buoy in the pool as much as possible, but the 2 beat kicks so far do pull rather than help pull ... so I need to practice this well.

So,

The first AquaLab in three months

It was a wonderful opportunity to find a lot of results and a lot of challenges.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Running Science Lab @ Harajuku, I came running (^ o ^) ~ October edition ~

Let's go to Tokyo!

When I was getting on a train bound for Tokyo, I was taken from Garmin.

"Recovery Time Delayed ..." (Hey, have a rest today.)

They say something like that, but I will go to run hard.

Take the busy Omotesando road to "Running Science Lab"

Kona Challenge member's annual measurement every three months

Today, we are looking at "VO2max", "AT value", "AT level", and "running economy".

Measurement using specialized equipment

First of all, the results ...

VO2max 66.2 ml/kg/min (50.8)

AT value of 163 bpm (163)

AT level of 68% (79)

Running Economy 48.2 (38.2) (Low), 51.6 (43.5) (Medium), 51.6 (43.5) (High) ml/kg/min

*() is the previous July data.

It has been updated (^ v ^).

(Last time was too bad ... also σ (^ ◇ ^;))

Last time (July), because of the influence of COVID -19, I lost my job and had to do various part-time jobs from morning to night.

I had no time for training.

in addition to

My legs were limp, so I ran a little and joints and muscles screamed and hardly ran ...

From the situation in July

and our coaches put together a very run-oriented menu,

I've been putting in a run almost every day for the last three months.

now feel like a long time ago that one had leg pain

It's a good thing that I can enjoy a run without any anxiety now.

As AquaLab (20 minute swim) told me,

Again, the coach gave me a compliment.

That's...

tenacity in the latter half

"A HEART RATE OF 180 WOULD HAVE REACHED MY LIMIT ... I WAS ABLE TO STAND AND CONTINUE TO RUN."

Tonokoto

But like motorbikes, the orchid is not something to be happy about.

At this point, the forecast for a full marathon is around 3: 14 ’.

If it's an IM run, you'd expect it to take 30 minutes more than 3: 44 ′.

WHEN THE SWIM'S LATE AND THE BIKE'S EMPTY TIME ...

IF IT'S A RUN TO GET BACK ... THEN IT'S GONNA TAKE ONE MORE STEP, OR ... AT LEAST THREE.

And the advice that my coach gave me

・The legs should be mounted (keep ~ out of the way).

・make a leg turn to take advantage of the ground reaction

・The AT value is increased by an interval of 2000 ~ 3000 m or a tempo run (put in a menu like a motorcycle SST).

Tonokoto

The orchid subject menu will be full this week, so it is not a simple workout to strengthen only the orchid ... but try to incorporate it as much as possible!

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya - I am so pleased with your testing!!! I know that sometimes "staying the same" doesn't seem like progress. But you have had so much happening - COVID, new baby, move, etc - that staying the same is really an accomplishment.

Bike fitness gains.... YES! Those are incredible numbers...I think we have an important lesson here. You do better with work and rest. Lots and lots of work on minimal rest does not make you stronger. I think that IM Training is really hard for you...we can build endurance but we aren't going to keep you strong.

This means we need intervals and rest. We can't do intervals hard, tempo hard and long ride hard. That's too much. Run frequency helps you too. I think we can use this knowledge to make you stronger. How do you feel about it?

~ Coach Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick

​Good morning, Coach!

​The other day, we had a Kona Challenge feedback meeting and announced the results of the past three months to the audience through the Zoom distribution. ​(Of course, I was wearing ENware and cap!)

​*Excuse me. ​Everything is in Japanese. ​Please use Google Translate.

​For 3 months from August (12 weeks), I have been working on "Durability for Triathletes", but the amount, quality, and frequency of practice were limited, and I was able to work on it even during my life events such as moving, changing jobs, and giving birth.

​And I am surprised by the measurement results at each facility the other day.

​The reason is that last year I went through so many hard menus, but my performance was only declining.

​I also spoke with Akio Yamaguchi about your advice.

​Until last year, I was only satisfied with the hard menu and didn't recover enough.

​You always had the best menu for me, but I was in (cannot be changed into intensity,) because I couldn't use it.

​As you say, interval, tempo, long ... I think it is difficult (in terms of time and money) to complete all the menus.

​So now that we're in the second week of our OS plan, we want to combine a menu of focused efforts with a recovery day so that we can build up a high quality of practice.

​P.S.

​I do a 1-week training review (Summary, Highlights, and Improvements) on Facebook every weekend. ​Are you checking?

• Options

@Katsuyuki Kiya -

I am very pleased that you have talked with @Akio Yamauchi About a more balanced training approach we have the opportunity to recover. I often like to say that our ability to do work isn't our limiter. It is how much work our body can absorb.

Another way to think about it is what does your body look like as a sponge. If we try and put tons and tons of workouts (water) into that sponge eventually it will be full...oversaturated...ineffective.

What we have seen from these most recent measurements is that you perform very well when you are rested. So the next important step for us is defining how much work you can do before we need to factor in some rest. @Masaki Kusunoki is also very practiced in this approach.

I think your day off should be Monday or Friday. I know you are swimming on those two days, so I'll leave it up to you to choose. Which day off is better for you?

Unforunately I am not following those updates on Facebook, but if you want to post them here I would appreciate it!!

Happy end of November....

~ Coach Patrick